French Seasonals

• Thread starter discspeed
  • 124 comments
Just want to give a shout out for the the Renault 5 Turbo '80, lightly tuned to 390pp on racing hards. It's an absolute blast to chuck about and far more fun that the Maxi '85 race version. Give it a go!

Alpine A310 next I think...

I tried a stock premium Megane for the La Sarthe race with all assist off on comfort softs. Only give it an oil change and you'll have a fun race. I take over first place on the straight before the final chicane most of the time. It's almost impossible to win if the Berlinette R/S starts on pole or somewhere in the front though.

I used the 205 Rally Car (Turbo 16 Evolution 2) running full downforce and detuned the engine accordingly. That was a fun one, a little bit of lift-off oversteer fun on all races. (10/90 split on the diff)
But the favourite for this series has to be the Xsara Rally Car, runs most tracks like it's on rails and makes a sweet noise too! Again, running with full downforce and detuned but still runs really quickly on all the circuits.
Overall, a really good series >:0)

Figured I'd give the Hommel a try at the final track.

I had one in my garage, but the OCD model was run in so had better bhp/pp so I snapped it up and changed the oil. Car now 162bhp/394pp. I think it comes on comfort softs - will check on that.

Ran and won straight out the box before realising SRF was on and TCS set to 5 (eurgh!).

SRF off and TC down to 1, I'm making low to mid 1:20s, once the pack has been passed, although still can't get a good line round the last, dangerously off camber bend. They wouldn't allow that on a public road, never mind a race track! Mind you, the AI cars tend to tiptoe through it, so it's a good place to catch up.

Still an absolute hoot to drive, if you like hanging the back end out. The trick is to keep a good average through the first corner and up the hill, not forgetting to back off for the destabilising 'yump' at the top, although this can be tricky, depending on which set of AI cars you're racing against - some are incredibly slow up the steep incline.

Update:

TCS off and the car is faster. 6:49 total, 1:19.6 fastest.
Standard tyre confirmed as Comfort Soft.

Update2:

If the Alpine A110 starts at the front, the race becomes 'something of a challenge'...

Last edited:
It appears the AI is running on sports hards, not C/S as claimed.

Since everyone just laps them with a monster, I guess not too many care.

No wonder I was only winning about half my races with comfort softs and a minimally tuned Lutecia.

snowgt
Peugeot 207 GTI, no changes whatsoever. Produces very tight racing and all 5 races are possible to win without any changes. It's very hard to win the 1-lap at Le Mans without cutting the final chicane though, and the Mt.Aso race is tough, because there can be an A110 Alpine ahead which is pretty fast.

Used the exact same car but with racing hards like a noob! Still really good fun though, the 207 has a really nice grunt to it as well if you tune it a little! :)

C est trop easy - used a bone stock Megane Sport except for SH tires, won every race with 5-10 seconds ahead of Monsieur le second place AI. And I m not even that good of a driver or cutting corners.

Sole exception: Le Mans, got spun out twice by the drafting AI cars before the Mulsanne curve! :grumpy:

I've only just got PSN back so I can finally complete these Bonus Races. I'm using a modified Peugeot 406 Coupe on Autumn Ring at the moment, has anyone else given this car a try?

C est trop easy - used a bone stock Megane Sport except for SH tires, won every race with 5-10 seconds ahead of Monsieur le second place AI. And I m not even that good of a driver or cutting corners.

Sole exception: Le Mans, got spun out twice by the drafting AI cars before the Mulsanne curve! :grumpy:

Let me get this straight. You're complaining that it's too easy, and yet you're using the most powerful car the opposition has, and better tires than stock to go with it?

One level better tires (SH instead of CS) will yield about 2 seconds per lap. So, with 3-5 lap races, we're talking about the exact 10 seconds you were ahead in the end.

I've only just got PSN back so I can finally complete these Bonus Races. I'm using a modified Peugeot 406 Coupe on Autumn Ring at the moment, has anyone else given this car a try?

Not yet since I'm out of town... but once I get home I'm definitely going to give it a try.. i love that car!

I can´t race at all. I\m using a fully tuned Reanult 5 turbo ´80 with SS. Not to hard to win, and I´m going sideways in every corner. Looking forward to do the last 3 races later. I think this is one of the funniest seasonals so far that I´ve done.

The Hommell was made for the Mt Aso track (or maybe vice versa)

Get in the OCD, buy it, oil it and race!

Down to 6:40.4 total/1:16.285 lap

The Hommell

My favorite, too. Sports medium for the first two races were fine; I got racing hards for the last three. It was probably overkill, but I had to spend some coin anyway.

I've tried a few Renaults and Peugeots, but still had the most fun so far with the Berlinette.

I'm being a little tardy with the muscle car events so haven't tried these yet but looking forward to taking the Alpines and the Hommell for a spin, probably literally as they can be kinda a handful!

Also definitely gonna pimp my Avantime, though more successfully I hope than Top Gear managed :)

Hommel with brakes set to 1/1 is the only way to go for this. Everything else is way too sensitive with the brakes for my wheel.

The Citroen GT Race Car can qualify for this event. Fully Detuned Aero and Engine Power. Then you need about 100+KG Ballast. It's good for a laugh but makes it really easy. Prefer the 80s rally cars myself, just fun to drive.

I used the Clio Renault Sport V6 24V '00 fully stock, yes with no oil change on comfort softs. It held up pretty well on all tracks except Autum Ring where I could only get 3rd place with leader car 5-6secs ahead, so I then switched to the Citroen C4 WRC '08 which I added weight to the ballast to get it at 500PP.

The (almost) Stock Alpine A110 is very fun around the Tracks. A little bit more power and a LSD made it almost overkill around Autumn Ring :D

So far the Xsara Rally Car is my favourite. Best in sound (love it when you change it in your Garage ;)) and almost best in speed.

I grind those events to tune my French Cars and its fun (like the Lambos and Muscle races)

@doc: you probably had bad luck with your competition, because I won with your Combo at Autumn Ring

This is one of the most enjoyable seasonal event! I used Clio Renault Sport (Premium). I bought only: CPU, 6-transmission, rear-wing, sport suspension and tyre comfort-soft. Tuned the suspension and kept the PP down in the range of the competition.

Using this tyre I struggled on Autumn Ring as it didn't have quite the grip and only managed to get into 3rd. So I changed to Sport-Soft tyre and blasted away to 1st place hehehe

Mt-Aso track was really fun! I like the hilly 'up-and-down' track, just like riding a rollercoaster :)

Thanks Polyphony!

Peugeot 207, stock with sports softs, can handle everything in this series except La Sarthe. For that one I needed a Clio, also with sports softs. The 207 just didn't have enough puff; got two 6ths with it and never got so much as a sniff of the leader's exhaust. Autumn Ring seemed the 207's best track, as it's mostly corners with very short straights.

With the ABS off I can't keep control of these cars. Even with 1/1 and the lightest touch on my brakes the brakes just lock up and spin me out.

Having heaps of fun with the 205 Turbo 16 on sports softs. 415pp with just an oil change. Yet to try Sarthe though :scared:.

Tried it, shouldn't have been scared at all. Things a rocket on wheels!

Last edited:
My 406 modelled off the Taxi films... 356bhp tyre-smoking fun...

Used a '02 Renault Avantime, with a proper set-up and almost fully tuned (eveything except that I'm using a sport exhaust and comfort soft tires).

I used a tuned Peugeot 106 Rallye, its a fun car but it understeers a lot lol.

Back