FS: rare sales!

• Thread starter exigeracer
  • 2,048 comments
£450k-£650k seems awfully cheap for such a significant and recognisable '70s F1 car. Especially when there's a '90s 911 GT2 with an average results pedigree going for £750k-£1m at the same time.

£450k-£650k seems awfully cheap for such a significant and recognisable '70s F1 car. Especially when there's a '90s 911 GT2 with an average results pedigree going for £750k-£1m at the same time.

I think it's valued low because it was built in 2008 around a spare period monocoque.

Roo
I think it's valued low because it was built in 2008 around a spare period monocoque.
Which is interesting b/c according to this article, 2 more cars were commissioned with approval from the Tyrrell family (P34/09 & P34/10) from scratch in 2018. The 2nd car was put up for sale at £1,750,000 & was nearly identical the '76 winning example except for the rollbar.

It led me to see if any of the other cars have ever been publicly sold & I found this article from the Daily Mail circa 2012 citing the example featured was worth £750,000 back then.

I assume today's value with be near £2 million, then give how crazy valuable historic F1 cars have gotten.

Last edited:
Roo
I did wonder if that was the issue, but it does appear to have the correct papers to allow it to race in prestigious historic races (which it has done and won). Much of the stuff you see at Goodwood Revival are 'tool room copies', so its not like actual period provenance means all that much now.

No price on it, but this is for sale.

Edit: This link shows $165,000AUD/$106,600USD

Last edited:

I love BaT. Not only does it let me kill time effectively while I'm at work, but it's so fascinating getting basically reference photos of super rare cars like this. Where else would you get photos of a ZZ-S that shows the insane shift linkage:

1712956635887.png

Front and center.

Here's an M12. Have you ever wondered what monstrosity of a rear subframe the M12 needed to fit an engine massively larger than the one originally designed for the body?

1712956840644.png

Here you go!

Last edited:
I’ve always amazed at how relatively little M12s are listed and sell for. As rare as they are, the cost never seems to creep much above 200k; I’m guessing there just isn’t the demand for them. I’ll always have a soft spot for them, in all their gaudy 90s glory.

Speaking of Tommykaira…

Last edited:
I saw this pop up today & it instantly sparked a memory from my childhood; I remember seeing this car decades ago in a video game about Lotus'. It is noted as a running, fully working example built off an Elan a customer returned. No price given, but Bonhams did have it offered 12 years ago at £80,000 - £120,000, so I assume it's still around that value to £150,000+.
Lotus1.jpg

Lotus2.jpg

Back