FS: rare sales!

• Thread starter exigeracer
  • 2,048 comments
Now this is right up my alley. LeSabre Grand Nationals are incredibly rare, (more so than the 911 a few posts up :sly:) with only 117 being built. $8,500 to me doesn't seem too bad all things considered.
00N0N_5QzRn1kPYHM_600x450.jpg
00y0y_aoOHpxEE5kY_600x450.jpg

Another special for Porsche fanatics, a 1 of 1 2005 Porsche Carrera GT in Signal Yellow. Out of all 1,270 Carreras made, only one was painted yellow from the factory. Asking price is a hefty $1.25 million.
Besides being the only Signal Yellow (there are other yellow CGTs from the factory, just not this particular shade) Carrera GT, the chassis number is 0911 on this car. Which probably makes the Porsche fanatics go nuts.

The rear quarter window is ugly. Why would Buick do that, if it's a LeSabre why would they want the rear quarter window to look like Regal?
Because GM logic.
The blocked rear quarter was done for aerodynamic reasons (though admittedly what advantage it gave isn't very clear), since the LeSabre GN was built for homoligation of new aero pieces for NASCAR, similar to the Monte Carlo Aerocoupe/Grand Prix 2+2 with their different rear windows. Funny you mention the Regal, since the quarter glass was taken from the Regal since it fit the blocked section perfectly.

That's the first one I've seen that has a color-matching chin instead of carbon fiber. Surprising it has under 1,000 miles and already has a rock chip of some sort.

The Queen's old 1950's Rolls Royce Phantom IV State Landaulette is going up for auction. One of only 18 ever made. Expected to fetch £2 Million.

4EA9191000000578-0-image-a-25_1532863160028.jpg

That's the first one I've seen that has a color-matching chin instead of carbon fiber.

It somehow looks wrong in silver plus it looks like an aftermarket job as the silver isn't even the same colour as the bodywork!

Still the best looking supercar they ever made imo, the new one looks nothing like a Mercedes!

What's the car to the left in the first picture? Zagato? Hard to tell and scrolling through inventory on mobile is a pain.

Another special for Porsche fanatics, a 1 of 1 2005 Porsche Carrera GT in Signal Yellow. Out of all 1,270 Carreras made, only one was painted yellow from the factory. Asking price is a hefty $1.25 million.

http://www.philadelphia.mclaren.com...t-chester-pa-19382-for-sale-wp0ca29895l001166

View attachment 753479

View attachment 753485

View attachment 753484

View attachment 753483

View attachment 753481

$1.25M would make this more expensive than any CGT for sale in the UK... that's c.£940k, and the price range for CGT's is £600-£750.

A lot to pay for yellow paint... particularly as the CGT is super easy to re-paint (most of the panels are removable).

$1.25M would make this more expensive than any CGT for sale in the UK... that's c.£940k, and the price range for CGT's is £600-£750.

A lot to pay for yellow paint... particularly as the CGT is super easy to re-paint (most of the panels are removable).
A combination of the one-of-a-kind paint on the car and the chassis code "0911" made the price that high. I, personally, don't think the paint or some numbers make up for the ridiculous jump in price, but people with money are unreasonable sometimes. :lol:

0911.jpg

There are many other paint to sample Carrera GTs (including at least 4 other one off shades of yellow, according to the registry), so something tells me this code is the main factor in the price.

A combination of the one-of-a-kind paint on the car and the chassis code "0911" made the price that high. I, personally, don't think the paint or some numbers make up for the ridiculous jump in price, but people with money are unreasonable sometimes. :lol:

0911.jpg

There are many other paint to sample Carrera GTs (including at least 4 other one off shades of yellow, according to the registry), so something tells me this code is the main factor in the price.

Even more to pay for a metal plaque on the dashboard!

A guy in the UK had his CGT re-painted yellow... I remember the thread on PH some years back. Personally, I'd like mine in black with the tan interior and balsa gear knob :)

A guy in the UK had his CGT re-painted yellow... I remember the thread on PH some years back. Personally, I'd like mine in black with the tan interior and balsa gear knob :)

Sounds like that Evo contributor who imported one from Europe and had it resprayed yellow from silver. Cost about £10k for the paint.

I'd have thought that these days a wrap would be the better option. Preserving the original paint on a Porsche will no doubt help with long term values.

Auction blocks this fall are gonna be ones to watch. There's 3 rare Ferrari racers coming up; a '55 500 Mondial Series II, a '60 250GT SWB Competizione, & a 1 of 12 '66 275 GTB/C, all which will be overshadowed by that infamous GTO. There's also 3 original GT40s coming up as well: a '66 Mk. I road car, a '66 Mk. II, & '67 Mk. IV with the Mk. II expected to bring in 8 figures. But, going to share this RS Spyder as it is the first example to ever be offered to public on auction.

Chassis 706. Intended to be raced by Solaroli Motorsports for the 2007 ALMS season, but they backed out and the car has never officially been raced as such. No estimated price, so it'll be interesting to see if sells in the $2-3m range like a upcoming 908 or if it pulls in the $10-15m range like the 917 last year.
2007-porsche-rs-spyder-0018-mh-2.jpg

https://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/2007-porsche-rs-spyder/

There will also be '55 550, '59 718, & '66 911 Spyders sold alongside this RS.

The RS Spyder was pretty successful in ALMS but somehow feels like an underrated car. Will be interesting to see how much one goes for which has no official racing history.

Last edited:
The RS Spyder was pretty successful in ALMS but somehow feels like an underrated car. Will be interesting to see how much one goes for which has no official racing history.
One of the interesting things I read about this RS was that not only is it likely be the last major Porsche race car outside the 911 family 3rd party teams can run, but more surprisingly, can be managed solo. The V8 underneath is apparently, easy enough to fire up, check, and run for track days without a team of technicians.

1950 Volkswagen Beetle 1100 Sunroof DeLuxe (Type 11C)
Est. $48,000 - $65,000 / Aug. 23-25 2018
This Volkswagen is one of the first imported to the United states by Porsche importer Max Hoffman. So these rare machines are nicknamed "Hoffman" cars. Volkswagen's first year in America was in 1949. That year, Volkswagen sold a whopping 2 cars. But in 1950, things got only marginally better. VW sold about 300 Hoffman Beetles in the United States.
I found the registry for vintage Volkswagens built prior to mid 1953. According to the registry (last updated in 2017), there are approximately
16 1950 Hoffman Beetles known to exist.
1-1531747271321.jpg

63531889-770-0@2X.jpg
63531897-770-0@2X.jpg
63531892-770-0@2X.jpg

For sale is a Ferrari 275 P that, after winning Le Mans outright once in 1964, was discovered to have won it the year prior, in 1963, as well! Weird, right? How did this happen and how did no one know about one car winning Le Mans twice? Turns out the 250 P that was believed to have won in 1963 was actually this 275 with the 250's chassis code on. The 250 that was meant to race in 1963 was wrecked at the Nürburgring, and to avoid paperwork, this 275 replaced it.

More info here that can better explain:
https://www.classicdriver.com/en/ar...orks-ferrari-275-p-won-le-mans-not-once-twice

What do you think? Will this be worth more than the 250 GTOs?

dsc_0254_4.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t think it’ll surpass the GTOs; far too much history and fame with that model.

This car has its racing success backing it and even then, that history was attributed to another car or so thought. Chassis 0814 was supposed to be the original car to race in ‘63, but was being repaired after a crash at the Nurburgring. So chassis 0816 ran in its place under 0814’s paperwork.

This happened again at Sebring in 1964. Chassis 0812 was thought to be raced, but it was actually 0816 as well.

I’m wagering an easy $30-40 million with that kind of success now tied to it.

Back