FS: rare sales!

• Thread starter exigeracer
  • 2,048 comments
I found a couple of Porsche 959s for sale.

1 here and it's well...cheap for a 959. Though I think the website made an error, it's being called a 1995 model when this car was only in production between 1986 & 1993.
https://www.jamesedition.com/cars/porsche/959/1995-porsche-959-for-sale-10905298
1040x620xc.jpg

2000xxs.jpg

and another one on Cargurus. The price here is what I expect.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Porsche-959-d954#listing=231588833
1988_porsche_959-pic-5272125025372837917-1024x768.jpeg

1988_porsche_959-pic-6235166270910508483-1024x768.jpeg

First one is a replica. What a travesty it used a 993 Turbo as it base.
Ah, that explains it. That is quite odd, someone took one already very good Porsche to make a replica of another one.

I mean, I've seen replica cars made from Porsches before, but it's usually a cheaper one like a Boxster.

Last edited:
Ah, that explains it. That is quite odd, someone took one already very good Porsche to make a replica of another one.

I mean, I've seen replica cars made from Porsches before, but it's usually a cheaper one like a Boxster.
Reading the information, it says the "conversion" was carried out in 1998 off a 6/1995 car. Wiki says that was the first year of the 993 Turbo & a '95 article from Motor Trend says the 993 Turbo retailed at $99,000, so I suppose at the time, there would be plenty more examples built to offset one being used for this.

Hindsight must be somewhat of a bitch in this case. A perfectly good 993 Turbo is still an easy $150,000-$200,000 car at the bottom of the market & can reach over $400,000 for pristine examples. This particular car says it has under 6,000 miles on it which is where the similar mileage cars are $300,000+ starting. Ad mentions the WLS II, but I thought that was 1998-exclusive option. That's something SPhilli, Tornado, or another member will likely know more about than I.

But, man, $330,000 is probably right where this car would be without the replica kit.

Last edited:
Hindsight must be somewhat of a bitch in this case. A perfectly good 993 Turbo is still an easy $150,000-$200,000 car at the bottom of the market & can reach over $400,000 for pristine examples. This particular car says it has under 6,000 miles on it which is where the similar mileage cars are $300,000+ starting. Ad mentions the WLS II, but I thought that was 1998-exclusive option. That's something SPhilli, Tornado, or another member will likely know more about than I.
Indeed it is, though even back then; I can't fathom the motivation to take one of the higher trim level 911s and do this. I would better believe it if it was just a Carrera, but it's not. That would be like someone now taking a 991 Turbo and trying to make it look like a 918 Spyder, I just can't imagine doing it.

---
Another note, I found on Carfax a Honda S2000 with a little over 9,000 miles and at nearly $70k. At first, I would think that's crazy, but after seeing the crazy demand for DC2 Integra Type Rs and EM1 Civic Si Coupes drive prices up to similar price brackets; I can believe it.
https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/JHMAP1140YT001584

There was a black CR that went for 112k on Bring A Trailer... people are going mad. :crazy:

I'm still kinda just weighing it in my head if I ever would buy an Integra Type R right now (if I ever become that successful enough to afford 65k cars). On one hand, it's a collectable at this point for being rare; especially if it's stock (though I personally wouldn't mind buying a modded one if I could still turn it back to stock.). On the other, I am thinking that I'm paying Corvette & Porsche Boxster money for a 90s Honda compact.

The resurgence in early Hondas is somewhat a sight to behold. There's a bone stock yellow ITR in Miami right now, 30k on the odo, clean history - $65,000.
DSC-2928-1-scaled.jpg

http://rmcmiami.com/inventory/2001-...ctual-miles-100-stock-clean-history-like-new/

C'mon @-Fred- . :P

Curious to know if @Danoff has made a move on one of these yet. I used to really really want one, but for the prices they are going for lately, I wouldn't even want to drive it. Don't forget, these things are easy as hell to steal...

I have started watching 987 Boxster Spyder prices more carefully. Surprisingly, there isn't much in it between 6 speeds and PDK cars, which makes me think they are still in the "used Porsche" phase rather than the "collectible Porsche" phase (I'm guessing that the 6 speed cars will eventually come at a large premium over the PDK cars when they start to appreciate). So the cars in the 30-40k mile range appear to be in the mid $40k range...which seems like a low price for such a limited production, critically acclaimed, pre-EPAS Porsche. On the flip side of this, my own early 986 is seemingly now worth more money than I paid for it. Per Classic.com, the early 986s are averaging $18k now (the market is a bit more selective than your typical craigslist basketcase, of course) with top cars touching $30k! I paid $11,000 for my car with 42k miles on it back in 2015. Maybe early 986s and 987 Spyders will cross and I can "trade up". :)

Curious to know if @Danoff has made a move on one of these yet. I used to really really want one, but for the prices they are going for lately, I wouldn't even want to drive it. Don't forget, these things are easy as hell to steal...

I have started watching 987 Boxster Spyder prices more carefully. Surprisingly, there isn't much in it between 6 speeds and PDK cars, which makes me think they are still in the "used Porsche" phase rather than the "collectible Porsche" phase (I'm guessing that the 6 speed cars will eventually come at a large premium over the PDK cars when they start to appreciate). So the cars in the 30-40k mile range appear to be in the mid $40k range...which seems like a low price for such a limited production, critically acclaimed, pre-EPAS Porsche. On the flip side of this, my own early 986 is seemingly now worth more money than I paid for it. Per Classic.com, the early 986s are averaging $18k now (the market is a bit more selective than your typical craigslist basketcase, of course) with top cars touching $30k! I paid $11,000 for my car with 42k miles on it back in 2015. Maybe early 986s and 987 Spyders will cross and I can "trade up". :)

I've been watching but haven't made a move. That one actually looks pretty great, but it's not near enough for me to drive and it's a high asking price. I've been waiting for the right one to come on bring a trailer. One showed up recently that was close enough for me to go test drive, but they refused my request for a drive.

Last edited:
Nah, this one's too clean for me. :lol: I've been looking on and off for a salvage/slightly modified one because then I won't feel bad about messing around with it.

Oakland is where all ITRs go to become salvage-titled. Let me know if you want me to pick one up for you. :lol:

I didn't know those 'Strayan classics were that expensive, sheesh.

Yeah, Torana's, Monaro's and Falcon's from the late '60s - late '70s have been crazy for a long time. But with the demise of Australian made cars, the values are only increasing.

But with the demise of Australian made cars, the values are only increasing.
Are they ever! And it's not just the old ones! I found this one with ten times the amount of kms on it as mine (mine is extremely low kms) for over $50k more than I payed new a bit over 3 years ago! https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/de...r8-tourer-lsa-auto-my17/OAG-AD-19617150/?Cr=1

But if you don't intend to sell it like me, it's nice to know but what it's worth is a bit irrelevant :sly:.

There's also a big down side to it for cars like my FPV which insurance companies are cleaning up on. They insure your car for sometimes as low as $10k with no buy back option (the best I could get was $15k for a car that would sell for $45-50k), write of your car for the smallest of things (slight front end damage where the front bar is damaged for example and because you can't just replace things the cost is huge), then they either auction it off or part it out and make a tidy profit. This dog act from the insurance companies, who seem to band together, is very well known to the FPV owners community and I dare say it's the same for other collectable vehicles.

Last edited:
But if you don't intend to sell it like me, it's nice to know but what it's worth is a bit irrelevant :sly:.

Who says cars are a bad investment, eh? :D:tup:
This dog act from the insurance companies, who seem to band together, is very well known to the FPV owners community and I dare say it's the same for other collectable vehicles.

I've heard of instances of cars being written off for next to nothing. Four or five years ago a young bloke bought a VH with a seized motor that my old man had stashed away, so he could fix his one that the insurance had written off. I've never heard of cars being sent off to auctions or getting parted out by them though. Jesus. :crazy:

Last edited:
I wonder if it would be easy to bring in one of those old Aussie beauts to the US since they’re clearly over 25 years old. They’d be unique looking here IMO, and likely get a lot of enthusiast love.

Edit* Probably wouldn’t be good flips though. I have heard through the years buying cars in Australia isn’t cheap compared to the US.

Last edited:
I've heard of instances of cars being written off for next to nothing. Four or five years ago a young bloke bought a VH with a seized motor that my old man had stashed away, so he could fix his one that the insurance had written off. I've never heard of cars being sent off to auctions or getting parted out by them though. Jesus. :crazy:
They're all kinds of shonky!!!! You should have seen what they did with my Harley, it was horrifying!!! When I asked the guy that fixed it what it rode like his answer was ''Are you kidding! I wouldn't ride that, it's a death trap!'', and he wasn't referring to it like that just because it was a Harley! :crazy:

I didn't except it back, threatened to report them to the police for fraud (long story there) and was rightfully refunded all money I'd paid in insurance for the full five years it was it insured with them, as well as the agreed value of the bike.

I wonder if it would be easy to bring in one of those old Aussie beauts to the US since they’re clearly over 25 years old. They’d be unique looking here IMO, and likely get a lot of enthusiast love.

Edit* Probably wouldn’t be good flips though. I have heard through the years buying cars in Australia isn’t cheap compared to the US.
You're right. You guys can get something pretty decent for 30k USD, the roughly equivalent 40k AUD here wouldn't get you much at all.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1979-holden-commodore-sl-e-vb-auto/SSE-AD-6272744/?Cr=3

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1969-ford-falcon-futura-auto/SSE-AD-7061859/?Cr=14

Ken Block is selling the 2011 Fiesta from Gymkhana 3, the 2013 Fiesta world rallycross car from Gymkhanas 6 and 8, and his custom RS200.

KB_Collection2-scaled.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe as rare as it gets. A modern-day F1 up for sale with race history driven by Albon & Gasly, and almost near complete... well, except for the V6, hydraulic systems and ECU. But, this STR14 apparently has everything else from the gearbox to the DRS to both steering wheels, all functional. No price, but I imagine it's way up there. I personally, have never seen a more recent F1 car up for sale publicly.
Complete Formula One car:

• Full working gearbox
  • Radiators
  • Hoses
  • Pipelines
  • Electrical rear wing
  • Pedals
  • Brakes
  • Steering rack & pinion
  • Steering wheel (race)
  • Steering wheel (travel)
  • STR car cover
  • Seat Pierre Gasly
  • Seatbelts
  • Less engine, hydraulics, and ECU
659223.jpg

659220.jpg

659225.jpg

659217.jpg

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Details/120273/formula-1-toro-rosso-str1404-rolling-chassis
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/formula-one/podium-finishing-toro-rosso-str14-f1-car-sale

Last edited:
Back