Fuji 800PP GTLM xx:16 / :46

• Thread starter tony1311
  • 85 comments

tony1311

(Banned)
tony1311
I have happily witnessed a sudden growth of participation in online racing the last few days. I think people are starting to return to gt5p looking to warm up as gt5 release date is coming closer and closer.(even though we have still a lot of waiting to do).

Fuji 800pp has a lot of participation but that does not translate in great competitive races.I believe this is due to the fact that most guys don't have a good setup for the gtlm and settle for the s2000 ,vette and viper and with a few exceptions ,fall behind just because their car can't match up.

The biggest problem the gtlm has is lift-off oversteer. The solution for this is not fitting r3/r3 or r2/r3 or r1/r3 tyres. That will only cause the gtlm's reactions to be more direct (because of the extra grip the rear r3 tyres give) and therefore less controllable. More important is to set the weight to 85% to minimize weight transfer which is the main reason for lift off oversteer. Even more important is to fit r2/r2 or r1/r1 tyres and be ready to compromise with an understeery gtlm that requires patience and good racing lines, not agressiveness.

Hope you are ready to spend some time and figure out how to tame the beast as a gt5mate says...

That definetly makes sense to use the lower grip tyres. Ive had trouble trying to get that car to handle perfectly,but not being a ford fan to begin with,and not having expierience with rear engine cars,i just dont use it. What lap times are you doing in the GTLM? Also i accidentally erased you from my friends list so ill send a new request when im back online. You seem like the challenge im after. Steve.

That definetly makes sense to use the lower grip tyres. Ive had trouble trying to get that car to handle perfectly,but not being a ford fan to begin with,and not having expierience with rear engine cars,i just dont use it. What lap times are you doing in the GTLM? Also i accidentally erased you from my friends list so ill send a new request when im back online. You seem like the challenge im after. Steve.

In a competitive race,and especially when chasing someone faster, i can do consistent mid 32s. When racing alone , high 32s are good laps for me. Hope you figure out how to turn this boat (I don't like it either) and maybe we can have a few good races together. If you want any further setup advice i will send you a pm.

Thanks that would be great to try your setup proven to do 32's. I actually have never used the GTLM in this event,but have been able to do low 33's in the GTR and Z06/Tuned.

I will send you the full setup via psn. When i started racing this event i also used the gtr...It was fun getting off the line twice as fast as everybody else or exiting corners sideways while passing gtlm's :sly: but times are limited.(I was doing mid 33s).

p.s. We have a big time difference so weekends should be the best time for us to race.

This car is interesting because it can give good lap times if you can control it. I like the challenge of trying to get consistent laps out of it, great stuff. On a side note, after one particular race I had a guy try to tell me that I shouldn't be running this car because it was too fast compared to the S2000 he was running. I was like "Umm so no one should run the GTLM because you choose to run the S2000 and can't keep up???" :confused:

The tune that seemed best for me was the R2/R3 setup with the dampers set real low. That tends to slow the reactions down to throttle inputs. Plus it helps lay down power coming out of the tight corners.

This car is interesting because it can give good lap times if you can control it. I like the challenge of trying to get consistent laps out of it, great stuff. On a side note, after one particular race I had a guy try to tell me that I shouldn't be running this car because it was too fast compared to the S2000 he was running. I was like "Umm so no one should run the GTLM because you choose to run the S2000 and can't keep up???" :confused:

The tune that seemed best for me was the R2/R3 setup with the dampers set real low. That tends to slow the reactions down to throttle inputs. Plus it helps lay down power coming out of the tight corners.

This guy was me. I sent you this message: "Shame on you mate because you didn't let me use your slipstream in the straight."
It wasn't fair. I think better to lose in a fair, nice race than win unfairly but it seems we are not the same.

What is not fair is that the slip streaming is set so high in the game. In real life racing it has nothing like the level of influence that allows medium skilled drivers to hang on to a good driver in the game.

It's crap.

This guy was me. I sent you this message: "Shame on you mate because you didn't let me use your slipstream in the straight."
It wasn't fair. I think better to lose in a fair, nice race than win unfairly but it seems we are not the same.

First of all i think i raced you before @ Fuji 700pp and we had a very good race!

Now i would never slalom on the straight in order to avoid being drafted by the player behind. But you can't say that such a thing is unfair. It doesn't affect you in any way,it doesn't slow you down, so you might as well take it as it is.

p.s. Drafting in gt5p is ridiculous.

I have no problem with slaloming down the staight as long as there isn't a block put on. Breaking the slip is a reasonable racing skill, just as hanging on is.
Agreed on the level of slip in the game.

The GTLM is a difficult car to drive, possibly the most. IMO.
Mid and rear engine cars need a particular driving style, so if you learned to drive in a FR these cars can really be a handful.

I have no problem with slaloming down the staight as long as there isn't a block put on. Breaking the slip is a reasonable racing skill, just as hanging on is.
Agreed on the level of slip in the game.

I have to say I thoroughly disagree with this and seeing drivers slaloming in front of me to avoid draft really annoys me and lowers my opinion of them.

Even in GTP Race Event 03 where you could say the stakes were as high as an online racing game on a games console can be, there were races where all of us involved knew that on the final lap if we were in front on Suzuka's back straight or Fuji's last corner, we had a chance to be defeated, but nobody ever wove to avoid draft. One move to the inside/outside...one move...that was to be expected but repeated line changing, even outside a braking zone and without risk of contact just to break draft?

If the draft is really that strong (I know I know, it is overdone) and you feel the following driver is receiving far too much benefit from it, will you yourself not receive the same benefit when you are behind when he passes you?

If someone is so far behind that you can actually weave and break draft, and he can't catch you without it, do you really have that much to worry about that you should resort to this tactic?

Sorry mate, I don't mean this to sound like an attack, I just would like to hear a bit more about why you feel this is an acceptable method of keeping someone behind.

All the best
Maz

Seriously, I can't believe that these sorts of discussions are still going on and there are still poeple who defend weaving as a legitimate racing move... Weaving is for people who think that winning is the most important thing... and poeple who think winning is more important than having a good race with your GTP mates are sad.

Seriously, I can't believe that these sorts of discussions are still going on and there are still poeple who defend weaving as a legitimate racing move... Weaving is for people who think that winning is the most important thing... and poeple who think winning is more important than having a good race with your GTP mates are very sad.

fixed and +100 👍

What is not fair is that the slip streaming is set so high in the game. In real life racing it has nothing like the level of influence that allows medium skilled drivers to hang on to a good driver in the game.

It's crap.

Have you tried to catch a GTLM with a S2000? It wasn't about the difference between driving skills but the cars. Just try to catch Z06fun when he uses GTLM you will understand what I mean afterwards.

Well what's the best lap of the GTLM? I've done a 1'32.3xx in the Amuse S2k, and can run consistent 1'32.6's in a race. I haven't seen a GTLM in the 31's (although I'm sure there out there), but even then, the draft is easily able to counter the difference...of course as long as the GTLM isn't weaving back and forth.

Have you tried to catch a GTLM with a S2000? It wasn't about the difference between driving skills but the cars. Just try to catch Z06fun when he uses GTLM you will understand what I mean afterwards.

have you try to catch a 2000 with a GTLM?:):):)
i think its all about the setup.
i was trying to catch BTH_REDWING and i couldnt at the straight.
because i was running with aero 32(gtlm) and i am sure he was running
something between 25 or even less.
its more about the set up and less the car i think.
i also havent see someone at the 31's but i saw R35SP_SHIMA running with the GTR at 777points and he was doing low 32's:crazy::crazy:

Seriously, I can't believe that these sorts of discussions are still going on and there are still poeple who defend weaving as a legitimate racing move... Weaving is for people who think that winning is the most important thing... and poeple who think winning is more important than having a good race with your GTP mates are sad.

So true, pointed this out a while back also.

have you try to catch a 2000 with a GTLM?:):):)
i think its all about the setup.
i was trying to catch BTH_REDWING and i couldnt at the straight.
because i was running with aero 32(gtlm) and i am sure he was running
something between 25 or even less.
its more about the set up and less the car i think.
i also havent see someone at the 31's but i saw R35SP_SHIMA running with the GTR at 777points and he was doing low 32's:crazy::crazy:

I use Redwings set-up and we're racing now so I know him very well. We are in the same, small hungarian team BTH.
"i think its all about the setup" Set-up means a lot of course but if you set-up both car perfectly the GTLM will be faster by 1 sec. at least.
And no worries about Japanese because they GT5P is a bit different. Remember what happend at Fuji 700pp. They were faster with GT-R by 1.5 sec than my friend Thanos. It's impossible with our GT5P.

Last edited:
thats cool Lacko.
so u now the setup for the aerodynamics.i think it can make a lot of difference at the overall speed epsecially at the straight

I use Redwings set-up and we're racing now so I know him very well. We are in the same, small hungarian team BTH.
"i think its all about the setup" Set-up means a lot of course but if you set-up both car perfectly the GTLM will be faster by 1 sec. at least.
And no worries about Japanese because they GT5P is a bit different. Remember what happend at Fuji 700pp. They were faster with GT-R by 1.5 sec than my friend Thanos. It's impossible with our GT5P.

It has nothing to do with the japanese version of the game. I raced both thanos and r35sp shima and i was quicker than thanos by 4-5 tenths and slower than r35sp-shima by 3-4 tenths.

If it is as you say,why don't tha japanese get the top places at the online time trials?

I don't think the JP version has any advantage.

I race Shima 3 or 4 times most nights. The guy is an absolute legend in the GTR, haven't seen anyone who can get near him. I love racing grown up JP drivers because they take personal honor seriously and are very fair (lol, the JP kids can be a pain though).

Shima sticks to the GTR (I tried to get him into the LM, but he's so dialed into the GTR he wouldn't give it a go, driving is his day job by the way) I drive the LM. We race lap after lap race after race nose to tail, door handle to door handle. The LM is faster in some sections, the GTR with its acceleration blast is faster in others. The LM is a shade faster in lap times maybe a tenth of two.

I've seen a couple of 1.31's, most laps are mid to low 1.32's, clear air laps are mostly low 1.33's with a spinkle of high 1.32's.

He wins 8 out of 10 because of the GTR's acceleration & the games drafting settings (lol, also depends a bit on how many beers he has on).

I reckon I might have a couple of tenths more development in the gearbox (any suggestions welcome - particularly for 4th & final gear ratios) so might be able to turn that around before the event upgrade.

Back to the original point, I don't think JP drivers have any advantage due to their version of the game. They are disciplined honorable drivers who are bloody fast.

ps I used to race Thanos a fair bit back before he took a break after his public win over Loeb, couldn't catch the bugger, a great driver, too quick for an old fella like me, don't see him much these days.

I'm pretty amazed how many turn down the GTLM - one of the reasons seems to be that when you choose it, you are potentially pitting yourself against the quicker drivers who understand the benefits of having a car that is highly strung. I think it's possible for someone to get into to the 31s...if you look at GN0-13's lap on suzuka 750TT, his car has driveabilty, good straight line speed and grip, but that lap time doesn't come without being good.

I think many more should force themselves to use it in order to make themselves a better driver and better at setting cars up. This means demanding online races are less likely to be 'empty' in future, but it takes discipline.

I'm pretty amazed how many turn down the GTLM - one of the reasons seems to be that when you choose it, you are potentially pitting yourself against the quicker drivers who understand the benefits of having a car that is highly strung. I think it's possible for someone to get into to the 31s...if you look at GN0-13's lap on suzuka 750TT, his car has driveabilty, good straight line speed and grip, but that lap time doesn't come without being good.

I think many more should force themselves to use it in order to make themselves a better driver and better at setting cars up. This means demanding online races are less likely to be 'empty' in future, but it takes discipline.

Last night i had some good races with TA. In the first race i was using the gtlm and he was using the amuse. It was nearly impossible to have a clean and fast race because of the great difference in cornering speed (he was on r3s and i on r2s). In order to have a good race with battles driving the gtlm you must be against other gtlms and nothing else. On the other hand,if you ride an amuse, you can have a good race with almost any car of the category.( with the exception of the gtlm.)

So this gave me a thought.

From now on the timeschedule for Gtlm only races will be:

xx:16/xx:46

Feel free to spread the word in order to increase the size of grids as i expect it to be very low.

p.s. I think we had a race last night,you ,me ,TA and a jp guy. Why did you quit?

Last night i had some good races with TA. In the first race i was using the gtlm and he was using the amuse. It was nearly impossible to have a clean and fast race because of the great difference in cornering speed (he was on r3s and i on r2s). In order to have a good race with battles driving the gtlm you must be against other gtlms and nothing else. On the other hand,if you ride an amuse, you can have a good race with almost any car of the category.( with the exception of the gtlm.)

Feel free to spread the word in order to increase the size of grids as i expect it to be very low.

p.s. I think we had a race last night,you ,me ,TA and a jp guy. Why did you quit?

I agree.

I'll try and do some 800PP racing over the weekend. I'm sure I can get some other guys to join in as well 👍

Yes, I remember last night as I was making silly mistakes....I made two at the left hander behind the pits (nearly everyone runs wide there as it's a blind entry). Was a bit tired, and it's bad enough keeping the GT on the road when not!
Good Idea to race at 16 and 46 as 00 and 30 had a full grid of Amuses in all different colours :)

Some good racing going on right now but we need a little more participation. Only 2-3 GTLMs per race.

I am available for any setup advice.

Some good races last night,seems like many are good enough with the gtlm after all. I'll be in one hour from now,hope to see full grids and eventually find someone faster than me. :sly:

Back