Funny Pic Thread VII - No swearing. No sex. No complaining. (READ FIRST POST)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Max Powers
  • 50,236 comments
  • 5,818,865 views
image.jpg
 
Wow someone as nerdy as me.



aileron-roll-barrel-roll-differences.jpg


One of the first things that we were told in flight dynamics. Was quite amazing to see all but six of us knew what the difference was!
 
Can someone tell me what it means?
 
Can someone tell me what it means?
It means some white people are in fact white people. Also means they're a perfect target for beach jokes to make them feel even more self conscious about their whiteness. 👍
 
... and we shall answer.
 
These threads have been going on for so long I hesitate to post any picture for fear it is a repost that I can't find, but here goes.

IMG_2432.JPG


TB
Do some of us know half of said couple? ;)
Possibly.

How else would you spell Steve and Stacy???
I knew a Stephen (pronounced like Steven) who went by Steph. And Stacie, Stacey, Stacee, and the god awful Staycee.

I honestly didn't know about this.

I play too many coaster simulators. I know the difference but to me it is a corkscrew and a barrel roll.
 
Wow someone as nerdy as me.



aileron-roll-barrel-roll-differences.jpg


Looks to me like a corkscrew or aileron roll is just a tighter barrel. I understand that the distinction might be the control surface used to achieve the roll, but the bottom line is that from outside the plane the top one is just a super tight version of the bottom one.
 
In an aileron roll I believe the X axis remains steady while the wings rotate around the fuselage. The barrel roll would be the plane doing a full 360 perpendicular to the earth, perhaps with a latitudinal 360 combined. Feel free to correct me as I just puke all of that out off the top of my slightly intoxicated head.

EDIT: Sounds cool though, right?
 
In an aileron roll I believe the X axis remains steady while the wings rotate around the fuselage. The barrel roll would be the plane doing a full 360 perpendicular to the earth, perhaps with a latitudinal 360 combined. Feel free to correct me as I just puke all of that out off the top of my slightly intoxicated head.

EDIT: Sounds cool though, right?

You're getting close to the distinction I mentioned, which is control surfaces. But from the exterior of the plane, the barrel roll becomes an aileron roll as the barrel tightens. The X axis has to get more an more "steady" as the barrel shrinks.
 
Holy Water in the radiator fixes everything.
 
Back