Funny Pic Thread VII - No swearing. No sex. No complaining. (READ FIRST POST)

• Thread starter Max Powers
  • 49,308 comments
Well the cartoon suggests that a black person may be somewhat less than ideal. Of course it's racist.
What does her race have to do with this? She had a tantrum in front of the umpire, it doesn't matter if she is black, white, asian. She still had a tantrum.

The people who are saying it is racist or sexist are just upset she lost the match and someone has made a joke about it.

Official press photo for the Santa Fe Cabriolet

jcwcowyz7z0kqiabxret.jpg

I don't see the racism in the depiction of Serena Williams but I don't understand why Osaka was whitewashed - the fact that it was done without thought demonstrates, to my mind, the sort of casual accidental racism that cartoonists should be more aware of.

The reason the depiction of Williams is causing such upset is that it exaggerates the masculine and racial features of her face. I don't actually find those exaggerations usual for characters of any race in this type of work, particularly that of this author. The sensitivity is understandable though - deliberate representations of this kind form part of the history of racism, just not in this case. Another part of that history is the trope of the 'angry black mammy', again I don't think that makes a play here but it's added up to a very obvious storm. And that's fine, people can hold that opinion, I just don't have to agree with it.

As to the incident itself - both Williams and the umpire were in the wrong, in my opinion. But I hate tennising so I don't really mind :D

The cries of racism come from the fact that the guy seems to have drawn Williams as a stereotypical 1920s-1950s, thick-lipped, large set Mammy/Aunt Jemima. I can kinda see the point there - Williams is not exactly the most waifly human, and there's been lots of jokes about her being actually male, but in the cartoon she looks like Mammy Two Shoes from Tom & Jerry.

The accusations of white-washing aren't wholly appropriate. Osaka just doesn't look as dark as Williams is all - she's not white. The umpire is white:

not-white.jpg

It depicts a woman with a less than ideal temper. That fact that she is black in the cartoon is merely a reflection of the fact that she is black.

What does her race have to do with this? She had a tantrum in front of the umpire, it doesn't matter if she is black, white, asian. She still had a tantrum.

Pardon me. I seem to have omitted the sarcasm tags.

Reasons why I hate the internet. It's hard to spot sarcasm.
I saw a post sometime ago that said a great way to convey sarcasm in text form is to italic every other letter. It's really tedious to do but looks good.

Yes, because that's obviously racist

ocznLjt.jpg

The cries of racism come from the fact that the guy seems to have drawn Williams as a stereotypical 1920s-1950s, thick-lipped, large set Mammy/Aunt Jemima. I can kinda see the point there - Williams is not exactly the most waifly human, and there's been lots of jokes about her being actually male, but in the cartoon she looks like Mammy Two Shoes from Tom & Jerry.

The accusations of white-washing aren't wholly appropriate. Osaka just doesn't look as dark as Williams is all - she's not white. The umpire is white:

Also could have been how the paper was printed out. I know when I print images off the computer its printed appearance does vary from what I see on my screen. Colors distort based on what printer I use, and what the settings are on my monitor.

As usual the soft headed people in the world are looking for a fight.

Back