Furi's Le Mans Bible: Back for 2013, Dodge Vipers!!!

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 157 comments

Furinkazen

Sim Racing Organiser
Premium
United Kingdom
Blackburn
Furinkazen_54
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium"]

bannerLeMans2009.jpg

Furi's Le Mans Bible!

So many threads are around about Le Mans cars in GT5, yet people do not seem to realise sometimes that the spec's are often incorrect and also they are not all "Le Mans Prototypes". I hope this little information thread helps out. Also many vehicles have wildly incorrect specifications, I have stated the real life and in-game statistics, please note though they are the figures quoted from mygranturismo.net and do NOT include power break in for the majority of them.

Audi R10 TDI '06
Category - LMP1
18LM06.jpg

Audi's successor to the legendary Audi R8, the R10 was a diesel Le Mans car, which wrote its name in history books by being first diesel to win Le Mans. GT5 has this winning #8 car which was driven by Frank Biela, Emanuele Pirro, and Marco Werner.

GT5 Spec - 662hp / 925kg
Real Spec - 650hp / 925kg
(PD seemed to have got this car pretty much right. It gets slaughtered by the GT5 fanbase for being so slow in GT5, and it is, but also one of only a couple cars actually in correct spec, as will be seen further down.)

Audi R8 '01
Category - LMP900
Audi-GC2.jpg

After Audi spent a couple years at Le Mans testing the coupe R8C and the R8R, they went with an open top design that instantly slaughtered the opposition for the next few years. There were minor spec changes from year to year, and the '01 car won Le Mans with Frank Biela / Tom Kristensen / Emanuele Pirro driving it. This the rare to find (in-game) car #1 with the Red highlighting. Car #2 with the yellow highlights is much easier to find in comparison.

GT5 Spec - 798hp / 900kg
Real Spec - 610hp / 900kg
(Bit overpowered PD eh? However, the works Audi Team for Le Mans in 2000, 2001 and 2002 is said to have had around 670 hp instead of the quoted 610 hp, due to different air intakes... even then a big big difference...)

Audi R8 '05
Category - LMP1
aud-orecai-r8-2005.jpg

By 2005 the Audi R8 was an old car, new spec vehicles and new rules meant it was very soon to disappear. It was "grandfathered" into the Le Mans Endurance Series and its drop in pace was shown by it only qualifying 3rd for Le Mans, but its reliability still shone through and it ended up winning the race.

GT5 Spec - 798hp / 950kg
Real Spec - 520hp / 950kg
(Less power due to restrictions and a bit weightier, but thats a no-no in Kaz's universe...)

BMW Mclaren F1 GTR '97
Category - International GT1
timthumb.php

Mclaren's F1 supercar appears in its "Longtail" trim in GT5, and is in BMW's car dealer due to the fact is the car ran under the "BMW Motorsport" banner at Le Mans in that year.

GT5 Spec - 633hp / 950kg
Real Spec - 600hp / 915kg
(A bit heavier than the real one...)

BMW V12 LMR '99
Category - LMP
bmw-v12lmr01.jpg

BMW's Le Mans and Sebring winner, designed by Williams who BMW would start powering in Formula One from the year 2000.

GT5 Spec - 801hp / 900kg
Real Spec - 580hp / 915kg
(Way too overpowered. but its lost a little weight...)

Bentley Speed 8 '03
Category - GTP
3910219699_ac217eca32.jpg

Between 2000 and 2008 Audi lost once at Le Mans, and that was to Bentley in 2003. As Bentley were part of the same commercial umbrella as Audi, the same designers of the Audi R8C coupe, RTN, designed the sleek looking Bentley, whcih would win Le Mans in 2003. A note that both Bentley's in 2003 ran different rear aero packages.

GT5 Spec - 800hp / 900kg
Real Spec - 615hp / 900kg
(Again overkill power....)

Chevrolet Corvette C5-R
Category - GTS
2002_ALMS_Racing_Corvette_C5R.jpg

The Corvette C5R started a period of american GT dominance at Le Mans, and also won its class in the prestigious Daytona 24 Hours. The picture above shows a 2002 version, which was almost identical in spec, paint job being the only main difference.

GT5 Spec - 640hp / 1139kg
Real Spec - 620hp / 1139kg
(Pretty accurate... but this is PD's biggest crime. Since when did Corvette's sound like this?!! - oh well, here is the real deal... )

Dodge Viper GTS-R
Category - GTS
8206410781_de9b97bbd0_z.jpg
108-0878_IMG-800x600.jpg

Iconic american muscle that is the Dodge Viper returns to Le Mans this year, so it's fitting I add this as update. Built to GTS class regulations, the Viper and Corvette where major rivals all across the US and Europe. Chassis C21 was built in 1999 and in 2000 competing as car #91 won the Daytona 24 Hours. Chassis C31 competed at Le Mans in 2000 and was one of the final Team cars produced for ORECA.

GT5 Spec - 617hp / 1150kg
Real Spec - 620hp / 1150kg
(PD Underpower a car?! Just knock me out, i'm dreaming...)

Gillet Vertigo
Category - FIA G2
GILLET-VERTIGO-B_LEINDERS-R.jpg

The Gillet Vertigo is a supercar built by belgian Tony Gillet, which was converted to race spec for the FIA GT Championship's G2 Category.

GT5 Spec - 904hp / 780kg
Real Spec - 380hp / 1000kg or 480hp + 1100kg
This thing is powered by an Alfa Romeo V6! PD What are you on?! or for the Maserati V8 option "420hp, for more power see options"

Jaguar XJR-9 LM
Category - C1
4564214302_ec1884caa5.jpg

The XJR-9 LM was developed by Tom Walkinshaw Racing for the Le Mans Group C C1 Category. Dressed in the famous Silk Cut cigarette sponsors colours it won Le Mans in 1988 in a famous win.

GT5 Spec - 931hp / 894kg
Real Spec - 750hp / 881kg
(Whilst the Jag is a slightly overpowered fat cat in this one, it is worth noting the DLC Premium version once broken in is a bit more powerful than the standard.

Mazda 787B
Category - Category 2
47327150_952df76069_z.jpg

Mazda's unique rotary engine was a uwieldy creation, often unreliable. With help from the french ORECA team Mazda however outlasted all to win the 1991 Le Mans 24 hours. Perhaps the thing that sticks most in the memory is not the lurid orange and green paint job, but the incredible sound... nothing has ever beaten it since.

GT5 Spec - 702hp / 830kg
Real Spec - 700hp / 830kg
(Wow. Bang on pretty much PD.)

Mazda Furai '08
Category - None
furai_09_hr_450-op.jpg

Why have I included a futuristic Mazda Concept that was never raced and never intended to? Well Mazda have had a presence in the American Le Mans Series for a few seasons as an engine supplier, and this car is based on a Courage C65 LMP2 which Mazda provided engines to for BK Motorsports. The performance of this car is very good and it is very similar to LMP2 in its performance level.

GT5 Spec - 511hp / 675kg
Real Spec - 450hp / ???kg
(Not too bad considering it is a concept so there is less data available....)

Mercedes CLK LM '98
mb_clk-lm(1998).jpg

The Mercedes-Benz CLK LM was built as a CLK-inspired GT racer for the FIA GT series and Le Mans. The car used a V8 that Mercedes had used at Le Mans in the late 1980's in the Sauber C9, M119, and changed its displacement and removed the turbo's believing it would be more reliable. In Gran Turismo 4 the car was mistakenly called the CLK-GTR (that was another different version), and is not to be confused with the infamous Mercedes CLR that flipped at Le Mans in 1999.

GT5 Spec - 824hp / 1000kg
Real Spec - 600hp / 960kg
(Overpowered and a little obese...)

Mercedes Sauber Mercedes C9
Category - Group C
2594800157_95ea6d1f7d.jpg

Peter Sauber's racing not only included his Formula One team, but also included this beast, powered by the Mercedes M119 engine that would find its way into the Mercedes CLK LM nearly a decade later. 230mph from this beast that also was one of the first high powered race cars of a certain Michael Schumacher's career...

GT5 Spec - 944hp / 893kg
Real Spec - 720hp / 905kg
(Very powerful like all Group C cars... but a little much)

Nissan R390 GT1
Nissan_R390_(cropped).jpg

Tom Walkinshaw, who developed the Jaguar XJR-9 LM, also took advantage of lean homolagation rules that meant only 1 production example was required to allow a car to race. The futuristic Nissan R390 GT1 was born out of this.

GT5 Spec - 828hp / 1000kg
Real Spec - 650hp / 1098kg
(Nissan favouritism from PD again...)

Nissan R89C
Category - C1
NISSAN%20R89C-6.jpg

Lola designed the Nissan R89C, Nissan's top flight Le Mans Prototype for the World Sports Prototype Championship and Le Mans 24 Hours. The car managed top 15 qualifying positions

GT5 Spec - 954hp / 900kg
Real Spec - 800hp / 980kg
(A powerful beast even more powerful in GT5... but Group C cars often had tuned qualifying trim, the R89C developed up to 1100hp... which is able to be replicated with a Turbo in GT5)

Nissan R92CP
Category - C1
265df602.jpg

Information on the R92CP is very sketchy. It was built for the All Japan Sports Prototype Championship in the dying days of Group C. Lethal and fast it won in Japan. Other sources indicate that it had "power-800~1200ps" which is approx 800 to 1200hp I think. Also in some circles the car is called the R91CP?

GT5 Spec - 1027hp / 900kg
Real Spec - 800hp / 900+kg
(The Nissan Heritage Website lists the car at 900kg and 588kw (750hp approx I think.) Being a Group C it is likely that the engine could be turned up to four figure levels for qualification.

Pagani Zonda LM / Pagani Zonda GR
Category - GTS
2003_pagani_61_real.jpg

Here is more of a theoretical what-if scenario. GT5 has a number of fantasy GT cars, one of the most powerful is the Pagani Zonda LM. Now the Zonda's statistics can be adjusted to mirror (at least power) that of the GTS-class Zonda that competed at Le Mans in 2003.

GT5 "LM"Spec - 683hp / 1150kg
Real "GR" Spec - 600hp / 1100kg
(The LM is rapid, can match the Audi R10)

Panoz Esperante GTR-1
panozgt1.jpg

Don Panoz's unique sounding and looking ROush V8-powered LM cars where a fan favourite both sides of the pacific in the early millennium.

GT5 Spec - 779hp / 1150kg
Real "GR" Spec - 600hp / 900kg
(Such a difference makes me think if I even have correct information for the real life car or this is a totally different spec.)

Pescarolo-Courage C60 Peugeot '03
Category - LMP900
7147491515_8237ba6b25.jpg

Henri Pescarolo, a french sporting legend. He's been at Le Mans for over 30 years with his own creations. He seeked a contender to the Audi R8 in LMP900. Based around the Courage C60 chassis, he started work on the car in 2001. The cars where blighted by reliability issues frequently and this 2003 version was no exception.

GT5 Spec - 828hp / 900kg
Real Spec - 510hp / 925kg
(This thing only had a Peugeot V6. PD Power overload is stupid, nearly as much as the Gillet Vertigo.)

Pescarolo-Courage C60 Judd '04
Category - LMP1
Courage-DD7.jpg

Henri Pescarolo continued developing the C60 chassis. In 2004 Audi's were no longer factory run, Bentley and Panoz had gone... which gave Henri his best chance is some time, as well as new engine from Judd The C60 put up a fight but ultimately fell short.

GT5 Spec - 833hp / 900kg
Real Spec - 600hp / 925kg
(Closer, but still a way off the mark.)

Pescarolo-Courage C60 Hybride '05
Category - LMP1
pescarolo2005.jpg

The ageing C60 was given a major boost in 2005. Audi was phasing out the R8, and new regs favoured the Pescarolo. The car got pole but Audi still managed to outlast Pescarolo... Also this car is known as a "Hybride" as it conformed to new aero regs, nothing to do with the recent "Hybrid" powered cars from Audi and Toyota at Le Mans this year.

GT5 Spec - 921hp / 900kg
Real Spec - 640hp / 925kg
(Kaz on loopy juice again. Even all that power probably wouldn't have got a GT5 win...)

Peugeot 905
Category - Category 1.
Team%201992.JPG

Peugeot launched the 905 on a mission to win Le Mans & the World Sportscar Championship. The team was run by Jean Todt who would later gain fame with the Ferrari F1 team. As a further note, check out the 1993 Evo 2, nicknamed "Supercopter" for its bizarre front aero.

GT5 Spec - 839hp / 750kg
Real Spec - 650hp / 750kg
(French power overload on this GT fan favourite.)

Peugeot 908 HDi FAP ~NEW~
Category - LMP1
Peugeot908LeMans2010kerblamo.jpg
4738633786_3f81becaaa.jpg

Audi's R10 proved that diesel Le Mans cars where a winning formula, and so it tempted Peugeot out of a 14 year hiatus to return to Le Mans. The 908 debuted in 2007 and was always a faster car than the Audi's, but it was not until 2009 that Peugeot won Le Mans. 2010 however... All 4 Peugeot's had massive engine failures that put them out the race. The 2010 cars were extensively reworked from thee 2007 cars and feature in GT5 with both the Team ORECA and factory Team TOTAL entries.

GT5 Spec - 730hp / 930kg
Real Spec - 700hp / 925kg
(Pretty accurate, for once - and off topic I want this as DLC!)

Toyota 88C-V ~NEW~
Category - C1
toyota88cv.jpg

A real fan favourite of the GT community, the 88C-V was raced in the All Japan Sports Prototype Championship and World Sports Prototype Championship alongside the 24 hours of Le Mans. The C-V was the same car as the 88C, but accomodated an R32V engine which was a V8 instead of the 88C's inline 4 unit.
The #36 featured in GT5 was 12th place in the Le Mans 24 Hours of 1988.

GT5 Spec - 936hp / 850kg
Real Spec - 800hp / ???kg
(Bizarrely, for such a popular car in the virtual world, there is little known of the real life specs. My engine specs come from this which appears to be reference of a book about Toyota engines..) Weight I do not know about but 850 - 900kg would appear to make sense I guess.

Toyota GT-One
Category -GTP
toyota_gtone_web005.jpg

Toyota's attempt to win Le Mans was based on the GT1 regulations in 1998, in 1999 it was adapted to "GTP" rules, the Dallara-bodied car battled BMW for the win.

GT5 Spec - 778hp / 900kg
Real Spec - 600hp / 900kg
(Always a fan favourite in GT5, and with a few to many in the waay of power as well.)

~Work In Progress, will be updated with all sportscars in Gt5, so it's a pretty big project!~
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Umm, I thinking PD use unrestrictor plate specs for all race cars. Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Last edited:
Umm, I thinking PD use unrestrictor plate specs for all race cars Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

People have just guessed that, PD have never said such a thing to my knowledge. Anyway even if they do, that doesn't explain why some are close and some are miles apart. Why doesn't the R10 have an extra 200bhp for example?

OP Updated with the BMW V12 LMR '99, Bentley Speed 8 '03, Mazda Furai '08.

Why PD do this, particularly with older cars, I have no idea either. Wait until I get a little further down, there are some criminal offenders out there...

Just one of many reasons why we need player interaction and a blog from PD. Imagine they read this thread (or one of the others) and then in the next weekly blog they tell us why it's like it is.

But no, we have to just guess.

Nicely done! Here are some pictures of these cars I took at Sebring when I was working at the newspaper down there.

The R8. Got to go to Champion's shop and see their carbon fiber manufacturing area and see why the car was so dominant. Had an enjoyable interview with Brad Kettler, the director of racing there.

I did an indepth Q&A with Mike Fuller, whose site/ is the bible for LMP-loving gearheads about the R10. It was such an amazing departure from the norm with the prototypes.

Nicely done! Here are some pictures of these cars I took at Sebring when I was working at the newspaper down there.

The R8. Got to go to Champion's shop and see their carbon fiber manufacturing area and see why the car was so dominant. Had an enjoyable interview with Brad Kettler, the director of racing there.

I did an indepth Q&A with Mike Fuller, whose site/ is the bible for LMP-loving gearheads about the R10. It was such an amazing departure from the norm with the prototypes.

Pics not showing, and I visit Mulsanne Corner a lot, great site 👍

Without being a Grammar Freak I couldn't help but notice:

:ouch:

Fixed :lol:

Added the Mercedes Benz CLK LM, and Sauber Mercedes C9.

EDIT Double post, my bad.

I don't think Schumacher raced the C9, he did race the C11, and the 3.5L C291...

Good list though....PD does have the habit to overpower these cars...especially considering that taking into account of modern tires and aero, the current gen LMP cars are probably as fast as they have been since the 3.5L Group C cars...

Thanks for typing this up, will hopefully clear up all the confusion over the various prototype classes 👍 Cool info on the Furai, never knew it was built on an LMP2 chassis.

I'm not sure where you're getting your R8 LMP numbers from, but there is the '01 and '05 in the OCD right now and the HP rating for the '01 shows 599 hp and the '05 shows 579 hp.

EDIT: Weird, though once you buy one of the cars from the OCD, it then shows the 700+hp numbers when you have it in your garage.

So they seem to get it right when selling it, then once you buy it I guess all the restrictors are off it and you get the full hp rating.

I know when I interviewed someone from Champion Racing about the R8 they were running in the ALMS, they said, without the mandated air restrictors for the series, the engine was easily capable of 800+ hp.

Mercedes CLK LM '98

... In Gran Turismo 4 the car was mistakenly called the CLK-GTR (that was another different version), and is not to be confused with the infamous Mercedes CLR that flipped at Le Mans in 1999.

I always thought the '98 version was the GTR and the '97 build was the LM. The GTR is an upgraded LM with a V12 instead of a V8, which competed in the FIA GT Championship. If GT4 had the '98 car then it would be named correctly. Right?

Im confused...

I am really liking your list by the way. Keep it up.

Last edited:
I always thought the '98 version was the GTR and the '97 build was the LM. The GTR is an upgraded LM with a V12 instead of a V8, which competed in the FIA GT Championship. If GT4 had the '98 car then it would be named correctly. Right?

Im confused...

I am really liking your list by the way. Keep it up.

The GTR was the first car that ran in 1997 with a V12, the LM was a Le Mans-geared version (hence the name) that ran Le Mans 1998 with the V8. The GTR was used for the first couple rounds of FIA GT in 1998 before the LM was bought out. GT4 called it the GTR by mistake.

I'm pretty sure the 'real powers' you quoted were just the power they used in the race, running less then the optimum for reliability, remember someone saying something about it.

Any chance of the Gillet Vertigo being listed? I know the stats for that one are way off what it should be.

The GT3 version was (more or less) right, but from GT4, PD put on a big turbo.:dopey:

This is a cool idea and I'm glad you've made this.. I know I have learned from it 👍

Looks like a few cars in my garage will meet the infamous power-limiter ;)

Any sport cars gonna be introduced in this list, like the classes below the LMPs (not sure if they're in the game though).

Any sport cars gonna be introduced in this list, like the classes below the LMPs (not sure if they're in the game though).

1 GT car in particular is going to make an appearance...

Major OP update with edited Bentley Speed 8 entry, and the addition of the idiocy that is the Gillet Vertigo. Enjoy 👍

Back