G25 to G27 and Vice Versa Shifter

• Thread starter MozzMann
  • 94 comments
If you are running G27 shifter into G25 base, you will need to do what RSection8 did.[/quote

You can drop the G25 Shifter Mechanism directly into the G27 Shifter housing BUT you will not have the indicator that the shifter in in Sequential and the shift WILL be 3rd/4th and NOT 1st/2nd as it will needed to be for some Race Sims.

I have been away so if anyone is having issues I'll try to help.

Well rewired the socket and the pots tested okay. I don't really know what else the problem could be. H pattern shifting through all gears but I can not shift past 2nd gear in sequential mode. ARggggghhh anybody?

If the board is bad would I be able to shift H style?

EDIT: I reversed the shifting in the menu making sequential back (down gear) and forward for (up gear) when I press forward it won't shift past 1st, if I paddle shift to a higher gear and then pull back to downshift it goes to first. It looks like only 1st and 2nd gears are the only available gears while sequential shifting which doesn't make any sense. Sequential works going from 1st to 2nd then back to 1st . :(

Are you Modding a G27 or a G25 ? Ah OK I see you have it working in some games and not other's

I believe your issues are because when modding the G27 you MUST add a toggle switch to set the chip in the shifter to recognise 1st / 2nd as Down / Up . This is VITALLY important for some race sims like GT Ledgends and it would appear to be the case for GT5 as it won't recognise 3rd/4th as up and down, but adding the switch makes it "Think" your using 1st/2nd

You can simply remove the Cable from a G27 Shifter and plug it DIRECTLY into the G25 Bingo Best of ALL worlds.
If however you have a G27 and want to make it work as a G25 Sequential then you need 3 things

Copy the wiring change I posted earlier remembering the colour code in the G27 is different to the G25 and may also be different depending on the country your in.
Now there is a hardware plate you can purchase for the G27 and the use of this and a tiny toggle switch to activate a LED and switch the Chip.

Hope this helps you.

My Original Post

"Now apart from the obvious sequential mechanism components the electronics of the G25 and G27 Shift units are Electrically IDENTICAL in fact even if you don't have the mechanism from an old G25 shifter, simply by drilling one hole for the LED and soldering in a toggle switch to turn the LED on and switch the chip from 3rd and 4th to 1st and 2nd as shown on the Calibration GUI in Windows then you G27 Shift has morphed into a G25. You will however need to slip in a couple of springs or similar to give you return to centre."

Last edited:
Are you Modding a G27 or a G25 ? Ah OK I see you have it working in some games and not other's

I believe your issues are because when modding the G27 you MUST add a toggle switch to set the chip in the shifter to recognise 1st / 2nd as Down / Up . This is VITALLY important for some race sims like GT Ledgends and it would appear to be the case for GT5 as it won't recognise 3rd/4th as up and down, but adding the switch makes it "Think" your using 1st/2nd

You can simply remove the Cable from a G27 Shifter and plug it DIRECTLY into the G25 Bingo Best of ALL worlds.
If however you have a G27 and want to make it work as a G25 Sequential then you need 3 things

Copy the wiring change I posted earlier remembering the colour code in the G27 is different to the G25 and may also be different depending on the country your in.
Now there is a hardware plate you can purchase for the G27 and the use of this and a tiny toggle switch to activate a LED and switch the Chip.

Hope this helps you.

My Original Post

"Now apart from the obvious sequential mechanism components the electronics of the G25 and G27 Shift units are Electrically IDENTICAL in fact even if you don't have the mechanism from an old G25 shifter, simply by drilling one hole for the LED and soldering in a toggle switch to turn the LED on and switch the chip from 3rd and 4th to 1st and 2nd as shown on the Calibration GUI in Windows then you G27 Shift has morphed into a G25. You will however need to slip in a couple of springs or similar to give you return to centre."

Thanks for replying. I am modding the G25 shifter to work with my G27 wheel. Shifter is working with Dirt but not with GT5.

OK If you look at the G27 Wiring and assuming the colours match mine you only need to Move 2 wires that is all.

De-solder the link wire on pin 7 and connect it to Pin 1 and the purple wire already on Pin 1 gets soldered to Pin 7 your Done
It should work perfectly.

IF you not currently using the G27 Shifter then you can swap the cables as-is. in other words dissasemble the G25 and G27 Shifter's and swap the cables over. This will rapidly allow the G25 shifter to work on the G27 Wheel and the G27 Shifter to work with the G25 Wheel.

The ONLY 2 wires that are different is the position of the purple and the link ie swapping the 2 wires over.

If your still experiencing issues after verifying that all is good with the wiring I would suggest you have a close look at the control assignments and the possibility of a "Hold for Gear" in the controller or player profile IF this applies to GT5.

Please let me know as I have had very little feedback on anyone who has done this mod.

OK If you look at the G27 Wiring and assuming the colours match mine you only need to Move 2 wires that is all.

You mean G25 right?
De-solder the link wire on pin 7 and connect it to Pin 1 and the purple wire already on Pin 1 gets soldered to Pin 7 your Done
It should work perfectly.

My jumper goes from pin 9 to pin 7 and my purple wire is on pin 1, like in his picture.
g25-rewire-a.jpg

IF you not currently using the G27 Shifter then you can swap the cables as-is. in other words dissasemble the G25 and G27 Shifter's and swap the cables over. This will rapidly allow the G25 shifter to work on the G27 Wheel and the G27 Shifter to work with the G25 Wheel.

The ONLY 2 wires that are different is the position of the purple and the link ie swapping the 2 wires over.

If your still experiencing issues after verifying that all is good with the wiring I would suggest you have a close look at the control assignments and the possibility of a "Hold for Gear" in the controller or player profile IF this applies to GT5.

Please let me know as I have had very little feedback on anyone who has done this mod.

I copied the socket and all my wiring is correct. Pots tested ok, but when I played Dirt it shifted fine. When I put in GT5 it wouldn't. At least I know how to finally check it right by plugging in my wire from the G27, if it still doesn't work than something is screwy.

Last edited:
It looks like you have the wiring fine,
1= Purple
2= Grey
3= Yellow
4= Orange
5= Red
6= Black
7= Link to 9
8= Green
9= Link to 7

I can't recall whether mine is in fact White Shield rather than black but it might be in your version.

Does it work in rFactor ? and more importantly when you look at the Windows Hardware Wheel settings when your are in Sequential mode does the shift indicate 1st / 2nd or 3rd / 4th.

Start - Control Panel - Devices and Printers - Right click on your G27 and select properties not when your in Sequential Mode do you see 1st and 2nd ?

Yes if you place the unmodified cable from your G27 Shifter it should work fine.
By doing this wiring change you are in effect making a G27 Cable out of the G25 one.

If this is OK then there is a setting in GT5 that is causing the issue I think. I don't have GT5 so I can't say with certainty.

^Sorry I don't have R-factor. I tried to with a demo of NetKar but that was a headache.I tested my shifter in Windows XP with Logitech software and driver that I downloaded from Logitech for the G27, (since I couldn't find on for the G25) and in the setup where you calibrate and assign buttons, on that screen it doesn't show a sequential shifter (because it is a G27) and when I go through the gears it shows on the picture the gear changes but does not in sequential mode.

So I wonder if anyone has even tried to do this in GT5 then. Two of you guys use it for PC only. If I were to guess now it would be GT5 not letting me do this since it worked okay in Dirt. I am downloading a demo for Rfactor so hopefully I can test this out tomorrow. I will let you know the results.

I guess the next thing would be to take my G27 apart and try the cord on that.

Two of you guys use it for PC only. If I were to guess now it would be GT5 not letting me do this since it worked okay in Dirt.
Good to see Mozzman back. I will try to hookup my G27 to the PS3 and try it in GT5 later today and report back. Problem is I don't have a set of pedals to go with it. Although my PS3 setup has a G25 pedal set, it's been rewired for a DFGT and although I have a G27 pedal set, it's been reverse mounted and bolted onto my PC rig. However, I expect I wouldn't need the pedals to test the shifter. Will report back later.

Good to see Mozzman back. I will try to hookup my G27 to the PS3 and try it in GT5 later today and report back. Problem is I don't have a set of pedals to go with it. Although my PS3 setup has a G25 pedal set, it's been rewired for a DFGT and although I have a G27 pedal set, it's been reverse mounted and bolted onto my PC rig. However, I expect I wouldn't need the pedals to test the shifter. Will report back later.
OK, tested with GT5 and exactly the same issue as trk29. GT5's wheel setting is rather inflexible. For the G27, it doesn't give the option to change any the H-shifter settings. Oh well, just use the steering paddles for sequential shifting. H-pattern works fine.

Tested with Dirt 3 (PS3) and no problems there as the interface allows you to assign buttons for shifting up and down.

so I managed to get my G27 shifter wired with my G25, but I tested my G25 shifter and it is still working in sequential, so I would like to have a both as an option until the G25 shifter finally packs it in. Can anyone confirm if a serial cable will work from the base of the G25 two the shifters, I was told a switch box will work in an earlier post but I would like a cable, with the wiring different I don't understand how a switch box or a cable will work, but if it will great.

Update: G27 shifter is now working with my G25. Cut the end off of the G27 and rewired as per the image above works like a charm. I am also confirming that an serial cable will work as an extension from the G25, but sadly my G25 shifter is no longer working in sequential only shifts from 1st to 2nd and must be held in place or slides back into N, not sure if it is setting on the pc or in game, have not tried on GT5 yet.

Ok mozzman much credance o man. I got a nice deal on a g25 , went on ebay got a g27 shifterl. stand alone i didn't know if it was BC. Come to see some ambitious someone already did the diry work.
Now I am confuse cause my red wire is on 7 but its on 9 on your diagram instead, as in your diagram, so I want to know I put link on 9 to 1 for the g27 shifter and putting the red from 7 to 9 hence putting the purple from 1 to 7. thanks total newby to this soldering thing.

i tried it last night fail at the least. problem arouse, by me i was the using the soldering iron to help me get the poly-plastic stuff right. That led me to burn a few shields off the colored wired so i might have to just cut them all off and get them to them shielded properly. I plug it in but noting happen no controll in gt5, thought i need some new solder. Upon my next try using fresh solder and shielded wires i hope i get it, my puzzle point however comes where my red wire was on 7. I removed it, I would still need a microcontroller for the g27 to get it so up shift. Radio shack should have those right thanks GTP>

OK, tested with GT5 and exactly the same issue as trk29. GT5's wheel setting is rather inflexible. For the G27, it doesn't give the option to change any the H-shifter settings. Oh well, just use the steering paddles for sequential shifting. H-pattern works fine.

Tested with Dirt 3 (PS3) and no problems there as the interface allows you to assign buttons for shifting up and down.

So at least I know I am not crazy. So GT5 is to blame? I wonder what makes the sequential shifter not work with the wheel then?

Update: G27 shifter is now working with my G25. Cut the end off of the G27 and rewired as per the image above works like a charm. I am also confirming that an serial cable will work as an extension from the G25, but sadly my G25 shifter is no longer working in sequential only shifts from 1st to 2nd and must be held in place or slides back into N, not sure if it is setting on the pc or in game, have not tried on GT5 yet.

This is the same problem I am having with the G27 wheel with modded G25 shifter. Something in GT5 is preventing this from happening evidently.

Yeah mate in GT5 it WILL NOT recognise 3rd/4th for sequential you MUST add a toggle switch to the G27 to make the Sequential actually drive 1st/2nd for seq Up/Down

i got my shifter working, u got that BLESS. Well i am unable to do the microcontroller yet i will head back to the shack, though i need a rundown of the wiring. Thakns hoh:

Ps: Got a copy of second GT5 off ebay. Come to find out its a Pal and my old data is US ver. =whimpered; however the shifter is hell of a fun and teacher especially on Academy.

Hello!!

I bought a replacement G27 shifter for my G25 wheel. I play GT5 and Dirt 3 on a Playstation 3 console.

I have to use the G25 diagram, right?
I just don't want to do the wrong thing here:
If I understand correctly, I need to solder the black cable to pin 9 then solder an extra wire from pin 9 to pin 1 as shown in the G25 diagram?
Also, what's the blk/shld wire in pin 6? Is it the wire without insulation around?

Thanks
faf

Hello!!

I bought a replacement G27 shifter for my G25 wheel. I play GT5 and Dirt 3 on a Playstation 3 console.

I have to use the G25 diagram, right?
I just don't want to do the wrong thing here:
If I understand correctly, I need to solder the black cable to pin 9 then solder an extra wire from pin 9 to pin 1 as shown in the G25 diagram?
Also, what's the blk/shld wire in pin 6? Is it the wire without insulation around?

Thanks
faf

IF your replacement is a G27 Shifter then Yes you rewire the Plug that connects to the Wheel just as the G25 Diagram. BUT if you still have the old G25 Shifter then disassemble it and simply swap the cable from the G25 and put it to the G27.

G'day folks,

Thanks for this article, it helped me out a lot. I had a G27 and got a G25 as part of a Hyper Stimulator I bought second hand. I wanted to use the G27 with the G25's sequential shift lock.

After doing the cable mod on one, I realised that you can just swap out the two shifter cables, ie put the G25 shifter cable on the G27 and vice versa. This requires opening up the shifter cases to unplug that end of the cables. So, I put the cable I modded back to standard, and then just swapped them around, works like a charm!

I also transferred the actual shift mechanisms, as I think the G27 shift mechanism is better than the G25 mechanism. This also works like a charm, so now I have a G25 with no sequential shifter but the original G25 shift mechanism installed onto my Hyperdrive cockpit, and a G27 with sequential shift and G27 shift mechanism installed on my Hyper Stimulator. Guess which one my pals get to use when they come around racing? :sly:

I also put a new brake spring in off eBay, used the old brake spring in the clutch, and the old clutch spring in the accelerator. Of course that's in my Hyper Stimulator too :)

IF your replacement is a G27 Shifter then Yes you rewire the Plug that connects to the Wheel just as the G25 Diagram. BUT if you still have the old G25 Shifter then disassemble it and simply swap the cable from the G25 and put it to the G27.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm having trouble trying to figure this thing out as well.

Pin 5 G27 White = G25 Red
Pin 9 G27 Red = G25 Black

So since I'm trying to wire a G27 shifter for a G25 wheel (I bought my G25 used and the guy didn't have the shifter), the G27's white wire goes to pin 5 (even though the diagram says that it's red on the G25 shifter) and then the G27's red wire goes to pin 9?

Is the shield wire the one without any insulation at all? If you consider it as the shield, then you wind up with a wire not even soldered in.

I could just be over-thinking this, but some insight would help confirm what I'm confused with.

Hey everyone, I'm currently trying to decide which wheel to upgrade to. I'm currently on the DFGT and I'm looking at the G27, but I really want to keep my sequential and still have the H-pattern option.

From what I've read so far it looks like the sequential isn't working with GT5, which is what I'll be mostly playing. Has anyone tried to register the wheel as a G25 and see if the sequential option works on the G27 then? From what I understand the sequential mode works fine with the G25.

G'day folks,

Thanks for this article, it helped me out a lot. I had a G27 and got a G25 as part of a Hyper Stimulator I bought second hand. I wanted to use the G27 with the G25's sequential shift lock.

After doing the cable mod on one, I realised that you can just swap out the two shifter cables, ie put the G25 shifter cable on the G27 and vice versa. This requires opening up the shifter cases to unplug that end of the cables. So, I put the cable I modded back to standard, and then just swapped them around, works like a charm!

I also transferred the actual shift mechanisms, as I think the G27 shift mechanism is better than the G25 mechanism. This also works like a charm, so now I have a G25 with no sequential shifter but the original G25 shift mechanism installed onto my Hyperdrive cockpit, and a G27 with sequential shift and G27 shift mechanism installed on my Hyper Stimulator. Guess which one my pals get to use when they come around racing? :sly:

I also put a new brake spring in off eBay, used the old brake spring in the clutch, and the old clutch spring in the accelerator. Of course that's in my Hyper Stimulator too :)

Are you using the sequential with GT5 successfully?

Last edited:
The 9 pin vga plug is not the issue for me does anyone know the pin configeration at the 8pin staight connector in the gear stick end and is the 2pin socket used. G25.
Am trying to repair after some one ese butchered it.

Back