G25 to G27 and Vice Versa Shifter

• Thread starter MozzMann
  • 94 comments
The 9 pin vga plug is not the issue for me does anyone know the pin configeration at the 8pin staight connector in the gear stick end and is the 2pin socket used. G25.
Am trying to repair after some one ese butchered it.

I can get that for you at around 4pm PST if you'd like.

You might try looking for some photos of it online though. There's got to be a couple out there. Maybe chilicoke has some on his site?

The 9 pin vga plug is not the issue for me does anyone know the pin configeration at the 8pin staight connector in the gear stick end and is the 2pin socket used. G25.
Am trying to repair after some one ese butchered it.

Is this what you needed? I just took it... Let me know if you need something else.

20utjr8.jpg

Thanx for the pic it is a great help.
We only have cable for the eight pin. which appears that the white is not used if that is the grey next to the purple and is that the sceen in the bottom location.
Also do you know where the brown and black wires of the two pin come from.
Cheers.

Thanx for the pic it is a great help.
We only have cable for the eight pin. which appears that the white is not used if that is the grey next to the purple and is that the sceen in the bottom location.
Also do you know where the brown and black wires of the two pin come from.
Cheers.

If memory serves right, I think they went to the knob that switches the shifter's modes. And that cable on the other side to the pots of the shifter itself (reporting the shifter position).

The Pins on the Shifter end are IDENTICAL between the 2 shifter's Logitech in their stupidity changed the Pin out from the Wheel base and this is why the Native G25 shifter will NOT work with the G27 Wheel Base, hence my investigation and the results posted in this forum thread. Now since both shifter's are identical as far as the circuit board is concerned and in operation for the small micro switch that switches the 3rd/4th position to 1/2 + obviously the Hardware gate is the only electrical difference. This switch is used because many games do not recognise 3/4 as a sequential input.

Last edited:
Hello,

I bought a G25 wheel without a shifter module and a G27 module as a replacement. I attempted to re-wire the G27 shifter as per the G25 diagram, but after trying to configure it on a few different sims (GTLegends, GTR2, Nascar 2003) I get the same result that I am unable to input any buttons, and the game immediately imputs button 9, which according to the Logitech website equals 2nd gear. I have not tried it on GT5 yet, nor have I wired in any sort of toggle switch for the sequential/h-pattern capabilities. I did not get the original driver disk with the wheel, however I did download the gaming software 5.1 off the Logitech website (which I think is the same thing), and I have tried re-installing that to no avail.

Thanks in advance for any imput and sorry for the wall of text,
DBR

OK If you look at the G27 Wiring and assuming the colours match mine you only need to Move 2 wires that is all.

De-solder the link wire on pin 7 and connect it to Pin 1 and the purple wire already on Pin 1 gets soldered to Pin 7 your Done
It should work perfectly.

IF you not currently using the G27 Shifter then you can swap the cables as-is. in other words dissasemble the G25 and G27 Shifter's and swap the cables over. This will rapidly allow the G25 shifter to work on the G27 Wheel and the G27 Shifter to work with the G25 Wheel.

The ONLY 2 wires that are different is the position of the purple and the link ie swapping the 2 wires over.

If your still experiencing issues after verifying that all is good with the wiring I would suggest you have a close look at the control assignments and the possibility of a "Hold for Gear" in the controller or player profile IF this applies to GT5.

Please let me know as I have had very little feedback on anyone who has done this mod.
Hey mozzmann.. I'm having problems with converting the g27 shifter to work in my 25 wheel. I rewire like the diagram and the shifter doesn't power on. No LED light..

G'day folks,

Thanks for this article, it helped me out a lot. I had a G27 and got a G25 as part of a Hyper Stimulator I bought second hand. I wanted to use the G27 with the G25's sequential shift lock.

After doing the cable mod on one, I realised that you can just swap out the two shifter cables, ie put the G25 shifter cable on the G27 and vice versa. This requires opening up the shifter cases to unplug that end of the cables. So, I put the cable I modded back to standard, and then just swapped them around, works like a charm!

I also transferred the actual shift mechanisms, as I think the G27 shift mechanism is better than the G25 mechanism. This also works like a charm, so now I have a G25 with no sequential shifter but the original G25 shift mechanism installed onto my Hyperdrive cockpit, and a G27 with sequential shift and G27 shift mechanism installed on my Hyper Stimulator. Guess which one my pals get to use when they come around racing? :sly:

I also put a new brake spring in off eBay, used the old brake spring in the clutch, and the old clutch spring in the accelerator. Of course that's in my Hyper Stimulator too :)

Thread resurrection.

Ok, im just about to do this amazing mod. I have the G27 and want the G25 shifter with sequential shift.

Can I ask, is it a case of just swapping the cables over and the shift mechanism? Is there any dramas with the shift mechanism when you swap them?

Gents, if you still frequent this forum, could you perhaps piont me in the right direction?

I have put a G27 shifter cable onto a G25 shifter, long with swapping the shifter mechanisms. The modified shifter works with my G27 wheel, well all the buttons do. On GT6 I have no sequential shift, or gear change when on manual.

I have asigned the sequential controls in the G25 steering wheel settings screen, still nothing?

You guys have this working, can you shed any light as to what I need to do?

Hi guys. I hope someone can find a solution to my problem.
Ive just got myself second hand g25 wheel without shifter and ordered brand new g27 shifer... thing is im not very happy of ripping of the original plug so i got db9 male/female plugs and 9wire cable to do rewireing on the extention. Problem is there are some pins bridged together that have to be unsolderd. Anyone can think of walkaround that issue?
I know there are adapters that do the trick, but im not tempt to pay another buck for it.

Say I wanted to work around getting the stupid usb adapter for the fanatec shifter. Could I use a female DB9 to an RJ12 adapter to plug in my g27. Would that work? If so, the only kind of db9 to RJ12 adapters I can find come with the wires not inserted into the db9 portion. If there is any way some could repost the picture of the wiring map of the g27 so I could know where to insert the wires I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance! If this is too complicated, and I should just cave and get the adapter let me know that too please.

OK many have asked and just about everywhere people say NO, so I did some tinkering as I upgraded from my second hand G25 to a new G27 (isn't ebay great) and I say YES.

Explanation:-

While the G25 to G27 Shifter Units are not directly compatible ie Plug into each other the method of making it so is so bloody simple it's laughable.

Logitech must think all us racer's are rather stupid. I started investigating this since pots were not available from Logitec and I have since found a suitable replacements.

Now apart from the obvious sequential mechanism components the electronics of the G25 and G27 Shift units are Electrically IDENTICAL in fact even if you don't have the mechanism from an old G25 shifter, simply by drilling one hole for the LED and soldering in a toggle switch to turn the LED on and switch the chip from 3rd and 4th to 1st and 2nd as shown on the Calibration GUI in Windows then you G27 Shift has morphed into a G25. You will however need to slip in a couple of springs or similar to give you return to centre.

To get your Standard G25 Shifter working as part of your G27 System all you need to do is a VERY basic rewire of the DB9 Socket on the Shifter Cable.

As shown in the diagram below the G25 Plug is wired ever so slightly different with a jumper linking Pin 9 to Pin 1 and a Purple wire on Pin 7

Where as the G27 has Pins 9 and 7 linked with the purple wire moved to Pin 1 .

To make the G25 Shifter compatible with the G27 Wheel you remove the wire link from Pin 1 and solder it to Pin 7, linking Pins 9 and 7

The Purple wire currently on Pin 7 gets soldered to Pin 1.

Thats it your done.

See the image below.

G25_27%20Plugs.jpg

If you want your G25 Shifter to work with the G27 Wheel you wire your G25 Shifter Cable as indicated in the bottom G27 Diagram.

If you want your G27 Shifter to work with the G25 Wheel then re-wire the Plug on the G27 Shifter Cable as per the G25 Diagram.

PLEASE bare in mind the Colour substitution difference between the G25 and G27
Pin 5 G27 White = G25 Red
Pin 9 G27 Red = G25 Black
ALL other wire colours are identical and go to the exact same pins inside the Shifters.

Hi is it possible to reupload the first picture its not showing up anymore. I found a pinout of that of the g27 shifter so if i rewire my g25 shifter like the g27 then it should work? (keeping in mind the color changes)

Hi everybody! - time to revive this ancient thread!
I bought a G29 to use with project CARS on PS4 and I had an old G25 laying around. I thought I would use the shifter. Connected it and only got a really faint light on the power LED.

Apparently the G27 shifter works with the G29, not the G25 shifter.

i followed the instructions in the first post here, no soldering though, I just used a razoblade to remove the wires at pin 1 and 7 on the connector on the circuit board and swapped their places.

Now I get a reassuring solid green glow from the shifter's power LED but the PS4 doesn't take any inputs from the shifter.

What do you think, have I missed something in the re-wireing or has 5+ years of storage in a cold damp attic ****** up the shifter's electronics?

Hi MozzMann,

Quick question regarding re-wiring my G25 shifter to work with my G27 wheel..

Looking at the pin out diagram is this looking at the inside of the DB9 connector where you actually solder the wires?

g27tog25.jpg

Thanks

Hi people, i need help with my G25 Shifter.

The "data" cable (db9) is damage and i lost the conector (bad dog... kkkk), i need information about pinout in pcb of shifter and pin conection to db9 conector. (create a new "data" cable from the zero).

Please guys help me.

Sorry for my english (need pratice)

I swapped the black/shield to white/shield and put the red where the white was.
It done the trick for me!.
(I made this account to post this reply because i'm sure others are still having issues.

Not sure if this helps but I realised my wiring is slightly different to the one in the original diagram? My red wire is where the white (5) is showing and blk/shield (6) in the diagram I have white/shield. Well, maybe there are different versions of the G25 shifter but my 'shield' wire was white once you stripped off the shield bit.

Included images of my wiring, yes, I know I cannot solder but hey it works.
g25-rewire-a.jpg

g25-rewire-b.jpg

Good luck. Let us know how you go.

OK many have asked and just about everywhere people say NO, so I did some tinkering as I upgraded from my second hand G25 to a new G27 (isn't ebay great) and I say YES.

Explanation:-

While the G25 to G27 Shifter Units are not directly compatible ie Plug into each other the method of making it so is so bloody simple it's laughable.

Logitech must think all us racer's are rather stupid. I started investigating this since pots were not available from Logitec and I have since found a suitable replacements.

Now apart from the obvious sequential mechanism components the electronics of the G25 and G27 Shift units are Electrically IDENTICAL in fact even if you don't have the mechanism from an old G25 shifter, simply by drilling one hole for the LED and soldering in a toggle switch to turn the LED on and switch the chip from 3rd and 4th to 1st and 2nd as shown on the Calibration GUI in Windows then you G27 Shift has morphed into a G25. You will however need to slip in a couple of springs or similar to give you return to centre.

To get your Standard G25 Shifter working as part of your G27 System all you need to do is a VERY basic rewire of the DB9 Socket on the Shifter Cable.

As shown in the diagram below the G25 Plug is wired ever so slightly different with a jumper linking Pin 9 to Pin 1 and a Purple wire on Pin 7

Where as the G27 has Pins 9 and 7 linked with the purple wire moved to Pin 1 .

To make the G25 Shifter compatible with the G27 Wheel you remove the wire link from Pin 1 and solder it to Pin 7, linking Pins 9 and 7

The Purple wire currently on Pin 7 gets soldered to Pin 1.

Thats it your done.

See the image below.

G25_27%20Plugs.jpg

If you want your G25 Shifter to work with the G27 Wheel you wire your G25 Shifter Cable as indicated in the bottom G27 Diagram.

If you want your G27 Shifter to work with the G25 Wheel then re-wire the Plug on the G27 Shifter Cable as per the G25 Diagram.

PLEASE bare in mind the Colour substitution difference between the G25 and G27
Pin 5 G27 White = G25 Red
Pin 9 G27 Red = G25 Black
ALL other wire colours are identical and go to the exact same pins inside the Shifters.
Thank you (sorry for commenting on such an old post)! My G25 wheel didn't come with the shifter and I couldn't find any for sale...I managed to find one G27 shifter for sale so I bought that. This post helped me get it working with my G25 wheel. Thanks again

Sorry for reviving and old thread...

I'd really want to know If the G25 shifter can be converted to G29 without any problem\damage and what is the wiring that I have to do.

I would buy a extension with the same cable female-male and cut the extension wire instead of cutting the original cable to solder all the stuff.

Anyway I bought a G29 shifter in a promotion and it's beyond awful, I even prefer the clicky noisy G25 shifter to the kinda like "jammed" feeling of the G29 shifter, also the 2nd gear is failing since day 1 which was 2 days ago that I picked it up. A lot of time it just gets to neutral on a brand new G29 shifter, just sent it to the store yesterday and sent it to warranty because they didnt have more in stock...

I also would like to know if the G25 sequential would work fine on G29, it's a must since it can be used like as a handbrake.

G29 is a big downgrade from G25, the new software eats up a lot more memory and have only crapware stuff for all logitech garbage, the FFB isnt working as good as the G25 on the PC and after like 30 min of use my G29 makes a kinda metallic whine noise when turning left even without power OFF, my friend's G29 does the same and I see on youtube ppl are on like the 3rd set and makes the same exact noise. I contacted logitech and they said its not normal and to send to warranty, but I won't since everyone seem to be having the same noise no matter if they are on the 3rd G29 already...

Also I'm using G25 pedals on G29 and the brake pedal only reads up to around 50%, after that pressing more the value is always at 100%, is there anyway to make G29 to read the whole brake pedal like on G25??? I'm thinking Logitech just crapdown on the values for it since the G29 pedals also go to around only 50% because they put the garbage rubber inside.

Last edited:
You will never be happy with logitech wheels. They 98% made from plastic and ceap analog potimeters. At the time where logitech wheels were popular everyone had problems with the shifter and the pedals. You can fix it, but it will break within the next 2-6 days again, fix it, play some days, fix it, repeat and repeat till you put it into the trashcan. I can understand the will and joy of repair and modify but in that case it is waste of lifetime. :indiff:

If Logitech at least would sell all the wearing parts like pots and motors for a good price, it would be worth 1000% more for us users, when it breaks its a big time lost trying to search for compatible parts :(...

Logitech = we don't sell anything for anything, under warranty = your OK, out of warranty = sorry you are screwed, sadly that's their policy...

I also have the Logitech Z5500 5.1 speakers and the satellites rubber is getting bad, wish I could buy the original rubber replacement or the exact speaker drivers for cheap, but have to lose a lot of times to find a proper 3 inch replacement speakers and buying 5 branded ones gets expensive like going for TangBand...

I also would like to know if the G25 sequential would work fine on G29, it's a must since it can be used like as a handbrake.

It wouldn't understand the sequential mode, so it would be sending out 'gear 3', 'neutral' and 'gear 4' states. You may be able to map 'gear 4' or the shifter Y axis in game (and unmap the others) to give you a digital or analogue handbrake, I don't know... very much depends on the game I guess.

Also I'm using G25 pedals on G29 and the brake pedal only reads up to around 50%, after that pressing more the value is always at 100%, is there anyway to make G29 to read the whole brake pedal like on G25??? I'm thinking Logitech just crapdown on the values for it since the G29 pedals also go to around only 50% because they put the garbage rubber inside.

It's possible with a mod. I don't supply parts, just information :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Also with that mod will it read completely linear all the way to the whole pedal on the PC?

Its pissing me off how much a step down G29 is from my old G25 (the only real biggest change is really the cheap gear on the tip of the motors which make less noise, but then again that already was there on the G27, oh and the leds which I don't even care much anyway and don't even look at them)...

Same on speakers, Z5500 were the best budget 5.1 speaker system EVER, Z906 are not a proper replacement and logitech never did anything great anymore. I also had the Z506 for like 120€ and was barely what would be even called speakers, its worse than their old 5.1 60 - 70€ actually pretty good 5.1 speakers same for creative grrrr..., they just increase prices and make worse products.

Hey, I'm need do working g25 shifter on g27 wheel?
someone can help me, someone has pictures of the mod how to change the pins,

Thanks

Hi guys. I just made my G25 shifter to work with my g920.
I used this diagram:
Hi MozzMann,

Quick question regarding re-wiring my G25 shifter to work with my G27 wheel..

Looking at the pin out diagram is this looking at the inside of the DB9 connector where you actually solder the wires?

g27tog25.jpg

Thanks

Here is the video :

Now i'm working on the sequential part witch is not working :(

Hi guys. I just made my G25 shifter to work with my g920.
I used this diagram:

Here is the video :

Now i'm working on the sequential part witch is not working :(

Hey. I also shifted the pins, and the shifter lights up. But I have No inputs, or Even recognition. What did u do different

Hey. I also shifted the pins, and the shifter lights up. But I have No inputs, or Even recognition. What did u do different
Every time you calibrate the wheel the shifter needs to be in neutral and after the calibration put it in reverse. Then it will work!

Back