G30 5 series

• Thread starter Neddo
  • 58 comments
has just been revealed
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2017-bmw-5-series-official-photos-and-info-news
2017-BMW-5-Series-101-876x535.jpg

2017-BMW-5-Series-105-876x535.jpg

outgoing 5 series looks better than most competition. So this also looks better than competition, even in lower trims. E Class isn't that bad but very uniqueless, XF only nails the front but disappoints on other angles, Lexus GS was way better before facelift, Ghibli lacks character. S90 however stands out.

We'll wait for touring

BMW-5-Series--E34--775_30.jpg

I miss the times when lower trims looked amazing too.

I think this car is already on the road, I saw a black one last week.

I initially took it for a 7-series, but a 7-series is a lot bigger than this, and upon second inspection looks a lot different.

I think this car is already on the road, I saw a black one last week.

I initially took it for a 7-series, but a 7-series is a lot bigger than this, and upon second inspection looks a lot different.
It could also be a current 3 series. Because they are currently following the Audi-Mercedes design language of 'take one model and scale it up and down as needed for different cars'

It could also be a current 3 series. Because they are currently following the Audi-Mercedes design language of 'take one model and scale it up and down as needed for different cars'

I'm very sure it was not a 3-series, as they are everywhere around here.

BMW used the E## chassis codes for more then 40 years. They used the F## codes for not even 10 years and now they on G## codes :confused: Why?

The pace at which BMW has changed in the last decade is frightening. One six cylinder, FWD, umpteen niche models. They're not the company I used to love.

In before @Harakudoshi clarifies what he means and someone chastises him for daring to have a preference, possibly comparing him to a Jalopnik reader for extra likes.

Let's not pretend having a preference is the same as dismissing all autos on the basis of them not being "proper" gearboxes.

People lament the loss of a manual in a mid-range luxury sedan, even if that's where the vast majority of the class has already gone. I'm sure BMW has their reasons — like, oh I don't know, sales figures — but I suppose the smarter move would be to produce cars with a stick so that they can sit, unsold, on dealer lots. All so that online "enthusiasts", who were probably never in the market for the car in the first place, can champion it as some sort of superior vehicle.

Let's not pretend having a preference is the same as dismissing all autos on the basis of them not being "proper" gearboxes.

People lament the loss of a manual in a mid-range luxury sedan, even if that's where the vast majority of the class has already gone. I'm sure BMW has their reasons — like, oh I don't know, sales figures — but I suppose the smarter move would be to produce cars with a stick so that they can sit, unsold, on dealer lots. All so that online "enthusiasts", who were probably never in the market for the car in the first place, can champion it as some sort of superior vehicle.
Lamenting the lack of a manual option != insisting that BMW would do better to offer a manual. It's not hard to acknowledge realities while holding fast to a preference, even a slightly derisive all-or-nothing one. The industry is full of such realities nowadays, with CAFE and safety standards and all that. And this subforum is full of superficial commentary.

Damn good performance from that diesel.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/9FC73DC58ACB6D60CA25804A0082AE82
BMW says its new lightweight construction concept has ensured the 5 Series is up to 100kg lighter than the outgoing model, depending on the variant.

The first variants to launch in Europe include a pair of petrol and two diesel engines.

The 530i and 530i xDrive use a 185kW/350Nm 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo petrol engine that ensures a 0-100km/h dash time between 6.0 and 6.2 seconds, official European cycle combined fuel use of 5.4-5.7 litres per 100km, and CO2 emissions of 126-133g/km.

In 540i and 540i xDrive guise, the 5 Series is propelled by a 250kW/450Nm 3.0-litre six-cylinder petrol unit for a 0-100km/h time of 4.8-5.1s, 6.5-6.7L/100km fuel figures and 150-156g/km of CO2 emissions.

A 140kW/400Nm 2.0-litre four-pot turbo-diesel under the bonnet of the 520d and xDrive variant delivers a 0-100km/h time of 7.6-7.7s, fuel use of 4.0-4.1L/km and 107-108g/km of CO2.

The six-cylinder diesel in the 530d and 530d xDrive pumps out 195kW/620Nm for a 5.4-5.7s 0-100km/h dash time, 4.5-4.7L/100km fuel use figures and CO2 emissions of 118-125g/km.

A trio of diverse variants arrive shortly after these initial cars in Europe, including the super frugal 520d EfficientDynamics Edition that uses a 140kW/400Nm 2.0-litre diesel to squeeze out a 3.9L/100km fuel figure – and 102g/km of CO2 – matching Mercedes’ class-leading E220d.

Thanks BMW for posting your video on Facebook where it makes your 720p video look like something from the early 2000s.

upload_2017-8-15_17-45-0.png

upload_2017-8-15_17-45-17.png

upload_2017-8-15_17-45-44.png

I really don't understand why they made it AWD. That's a bunch of unnecessary added weight.

Back