G30 5 series

• Thread starter Neddo
  • 58 comments
I really don't understand why they made it AWD

To make more of its performance, more accessible to more people, more of the time, and to keep it competitive against its competitors - and since it can be switched to RWD only mode AND it's still lighter than its predecessor... they probably thought that was a win-win situation.

Wish they'd go back to their roots.

What does this actually mean though?

I love the E28 M5, and E28's in general actually, but in relation to the 5-series line-up, M, BMW in general, and to the car market as a whole - how does the F90 differ from what the E28 meant to the 5-series line-up, M, BMW in general, and to the car market as a whole?

I love the E28 M5, and E28's in general actually, but in relation to the 5-series line-up, M, BMW in general, and to the car market as a whole - how does the F90 differ from what the E28 meant to the 5-series line-up, M, BMW in general, and to the car market as a whole?

Where as the E30 M3 started off as a pure motorsports special, the M5 has always just been the flagship 5-series range topper. The 5-series with the biggest engine and most kit.

To make more of its performance, more accessible to more people, more of the time, and to keep it competitive against its competitors - and since it can be switched to RWD only mode AND it's still lighter than its predecessor... they probably thought that was a win-win situation.

I get the first part of your post.

Answer to your second part:
NA engine, rwd, spartan interior.

Answer to your second part:
NA engine, rwd, spartan interior.

Well, I can't really argue with the NA engine part, legislation has - for now - done in the naturally aspirated engine in cars like this, so yeah, I wish BMW could go back to its roots... in that respect.

As for RWD, you can drive the F90 as a RWD car all day, everyday, if you wanted. The switchable drivetrain allows you to enjoy all the RWD goodness you want, but in the event that you need to be able to deliver all 600 ponies (or 50 if you're in a muddy car park at Brands Hatch, or 10hp if you have a driveway that regularly freezes), it has 4WD at the push of a button.

And a spartan interior? The M5 isn't about having a spartan interior, it never was, it was just average (the standard E28's had some of the comfiest seats I've ever owned!). The fact that the E28 M5 interior is spartan by todays standards is irrelevant, it never set out to be spartan, those aren't its roots.

I get what you want, I had 4 80's BMW's (2 E28's, and E30 and an E24), I just think it's wrong to think less of the F90 because the industry and most of the target market has moved on in the last 30 years. What you're asking for isn't for BMW to go back to its roots, it's for the industry to regress 30 years.

It's just the typical pining from car guys to do away with fancy technology in modern vehicles, forgetting that half of the fun is seeing how new technology shape the vehicles of the future.

The M5 going AWD was more of a neccessity than a choice. Chris Harris's comments on the F10 30 Jahre are a case in point.

This segment is long past when RWD only was the best idea.

Exactly. By now, performance isn't just meant for car guys. It's the halo vehicle for the entire range. It's where new technology and ideas can be showcased in the ultimate goal of going faster.

M5 Touring
2018-bmw-m5-touring-rendering.jpg

I'm not thinking about rwd being the best or not embracing technology. I like the i3 as well as an M2.

This segment and most cars like this, blur the line between them. Even I'd I can switch off awd, what makes it more of an M, than it being like an RS6 or E63 AMG?

AUDI had awd, BMW had gearbox and dynamics, AMG had brute power. There's practically not much in it between them today. Mentioned above, these car aren't just for enthusiasts. However, I can argue how easy a GT3 car is(that's its purpose for the gentleman driver) compared to a V8 Supercar.

In the end, just because the market is this way, doesn't mean I have to like this generation of the M5.

I'd still have that GSF. If you're really going to think a 470bhp engine is slow by any measure, you're an idiot.

I think it's good to move to AWD. Makes a big difference in terms of traction, much more brutal acceleration. :) Disappointing they're dropping DCT for AWD M cars, hopefully it makes a return. I wish BMW bring back the V10. Their twin-turbo V8 sounds a bit meh, even prefer the sound of the M4 over it.

So, the M5 is now 4wd, turbocharged and only available with a slushbox?

Yep. You're really spoiled for choice now in this sector:
  • 591hp 4.4L turbo V8, 4WD, 8-speed auto
  • 597hp 4.0L turbo V8, 4WD, 8-speed auto
  • 603hp 4.0L turbo V8, 4WD, 9-speed auto

Yep. You're really spoiled for choice now in this sector:
  • 591hp 4.4L turbo V8, 4WD, 8-speed auto
  • 597hp 4.0L turbo V8, 4WD, 8-speed auto
  • 603hp 4.0L turbo V8, 4WD, 9-speed auto
I wonder how much each K&N air filter costs, at those HP increments. :sly:

Played around with the M5 configurator a little bit and the one I would spec one came out to an eye-watering $120k. Crazy how expensive these things are.

I have to say, there's a certain E39 elegance about the new 5er. A vast improvement on the pudgy outgoing model.

VXR
I have to say, there's a certain E39 elegance about the new 5er. A vast improvement on the pudgy outgoing model.

Hmmm... elegance isn't the word I'd choose. Don't get me wrong, I like the looks of the E39, but visually I'd say the E39 is the chubbiest looking 5 series of the lot, like an E34 in fat suit. The E60 that followed it looks like a scalpel wielding ballet dancer by comparison! As for this generation, I'm really not a fan at all, sadly I have to say I think it's the worst looking 5 series to date and I think the styling lacks the finesse required to call it elegant.. but that's just me. I definitely prefer the looks of the B5 to the M5 also.

The G30 5-Series isn't a bad looking car at all, it's just not got any of the elements of individuality that previous 5-Series had over lesser or greater models. It looks just like a slightly scaled up 3-Series.

5-Series used to be very common but i can't recall that last one i saw. It's not that their sales have fallen off a cliff because stats show that isn't the case. So it must just be that i haven't noticed them on the road, probably mistaking them for a 3 or even a 7-Series.

2022 BMW CS revealed. 626hp (26 more than the "normal" M5), bucket seats from the M4, copper accents and yellow motorsport-inspired lights, and 75kg lighter than the M5 Competition. 0-60 times have not been released but it has been speculated that it could do it in less than 3 seconds.

upload_2021-1-26_14-43-33.png

upload_2021-1-26_14-43-39.png

upload_2021-1-26_14-43-44.png

2022 BMW CS revealed. 626hp (26 more than the "normal" M5), bucket seats from the M4, copper accents and yellow motorsport-inspired lights, and 75kg lighter than the M5 Competition. 0-60 times have not been released but it has been speculated that it could do it in less than 3 seconds.

View attachment 987538

View attachment 987539

View attachment 987540

Wow, what a sexy car in that olivey camo green look, love the new Rims too. Almost sleeper-ish if you dont look hard enough. I'll have one with a bucket pack of Meguires, cause that sucka won't stay clean for long when going sideways! :lol:

Last edited:
Back