GARAGE CARS WIPED OUT AFTER UPDATE 1.14

• Thread starter GTVegan
  • 64 comments
Something similar happened to me a couple of patches ago with my replays and scapes.
I'm 100% positive I exited the game properly without interrupting the save.

Anyway, I wanted to ask: how do I backup the save data? I've never done this before?
Have you got PS plus ?.

Yes I do.
Go to PS4 main menu, select GT sport but don't start the game then press the Options button and the menu will pop up, then select Upload/Download Saved Data, and this below will come up next.
My Great Capture Screenshot 2018-03-13 19-43-19.png

If your doing it for the first time you select Upload All, and when you save it on a daily basis you just need to upload your Game Progress Data only.

If I want to save it to USB can I just stick in any small size usb stick, say 1gb and what procedure do I do? And can I make it automatic?

If I want to save it to USB can I just stick in any small size usb stick, say 1gb and what procedure do I do? And can I make it automatic?
When you use a USB, you can not save it automatically.

Last edited:

Crappy YouTube video showing the procedure:

You cannot automate the process, as far as I know.

For what it's worth, I do this weekly. I also upload to PSN weekly, but on a different day. That way I'm protected against failure or corruption with different backups.

That always sucks. I actually lost most of my PS3 save data some time ago and I just happened to have an old back up of GT5 save data and a couple of other games, and I really only have those backups for situations where I know something could go wrong. Its the easiest way to save future hassle, if its that important.

Data corrupts. It does it for fun. It can corrupt while reading, while writing, or because the HDD just chose that moment to have a hiccup. You can lose data by fire or flood. You can lose all of the data on your PS4 simply by losing access to your PS4 - if it ceases working, or is stolen, you can't get at the data on it.

For this reason, there's an informal law of computing that essentially states that data does not exist unless there are two additional copies of it. There's some variation on what classifies as a copy, particularly with regard to location: a file backup should be impervious to an incident that would wipe out any other copy of the file. For example, if you have all of your treasured photographs on your computer and make a backup to an external hard drive that's also in your house, if your house burns down or floods you lose both copies. One version of the law suggests a minimum separation of seven miles between each of three copies, in case of direct nuclear strike...

In general it's good practice to have three copies of any file that is particularly important; one active, one on removable media and one in cloud storage. It's also a good idea to ensure they're in different formats - for me, PS Plus is just too close to the PS4 itself, as you can only access the PS Plus saves through the PS4 and they, in effect, act as the same file. It's too easy to accidentally backup or restore a corrupt file over a good one (and if someone nicks your PS4, they can easily overwrite all of your PS Plus data before you realise it), so I wouldn't count one copy on PS4 and one copy in PS Plus as two copies.

This is sometimes informally referred to as the 3-2-1 law of data:

3 - Copies of any important file, stored in
2 - Different formats, with at least
1 - Offsite backup

If my GT Sport save file was important to me, I'd have one copy on the console/PS Plus, one copy on my computer/the flash drive I use to transfer between PS4 and computer, and the third copy on Dropbox. Backing up daily isn't necessary unless you have made important changes in that day, but backing up at least weekly is sensible.

Almost nobody does any of this.

It's amazing to see the amount of defensiveness and apologist attitudes towards PD being displayed in this thread. Corrupt save files are not normal! I've been playing console games since the NES and I've only ever experienced one corrupt save (Infamous).

We're not talking about the power going out while it's saving. There is a whole thread of people whose entire progress has been deleted, with no seeming direct user cause. Just random data corruption. This is simply unacceptable, especially for a first-party studio.
Oh yeah? Well ive been playing since atari and let me tell you!
Anecdotal ancedote aside, i happen to work in enterprise storage, backup and recovery for a living on an environment with over 20 petabytes spread across three datacenters with thousands and thousands of hard drives. Equipment fails, sectors crap out, data gets corrupted. Ultimately, crap happens. Over my decades of play, ive only lost a few game saves to corrupted data, but i have. The first time it happened in GT5 was the last time i didnt backup. Now i try to back up weekly games that i play regularly and all important data on my computer is kept on a drive that is linked to my server and backed up regularly, with redundancy.
Crap happens, if you dont take precautions to protect your data, Murphy's law will evetually bite you in the tush. When it does, you will only have yourself to blame.

You need PS+ to play some online multiplayer games like GTAV Online. You don't need it for GTS.
You need PS+ to play any online multiplayer component of any full PS4 title. You don't need it to play the offline components.

So you don't need PS+ to play GT Sport, but you certainly do need it to play Sport Mode of GT Sport.

You need PS+ to play any online multiplayer component of any full PS4 title. You don't need it to play the offline components.

So you don't need PS+ to play GT Sport, but you certainly do need it to play Sport Mode of GT Sport.

But considering you need to be online to save any progress of offline mode, surely you need it otherwise it would just be like turning a brand new game on every day?

Being online is one thing. Playing online with other players is entirely different. You can play and save the game without PS+ without any problem.

But considering you need to be online to save any progress of offline mode, surely you need it otherwise it would just be like turning a brand new game on every day?
You need an online connection to save the game, but as it's not a multiplayer component you don't PS+ to save the game.

As far as I'm aware, Sport Mode is the only section that you need PS+ to access. A regular PS account should be able to access everything else when logged in. When logged out, what you say above applies.

Well, I don't do Sport Mode, so I wouldn't know you needed PS+ for it.

And sorry for going OT here, but how can I play The Crew (which is always online) without PS+?

Well, I don't do Sport Mode, so I wouldn't know you needed PS+ for it.

And sorry for going OT here, but how can I play The Crew (which is always online) without PS+?

Because the online component of the Crew is a core component of the game, however if you tried PvP specifically in The Crew it wouldn't work.

I have to echo other sentiments here... if you don't want to loose it, back it up.

I've had 2 HDD's, 32Gb SD card, and one remotely hosted website go south on me with no effective back-ups.

I recommend backing up, rather than learning the hard way.

If you have PS plus do not set it automatically upload , save it by doing a manual save it is better that way, because if there is a problem with your in game save, well you may have a problem with you backup save on PS plus.
What difference does it make? You don't know if the save you're manually updating is corrupt or not.

What difference does it make? You don't know if the save you're manually updating is corrupt or not.
The recommendation is the save about once a week. Auto backup will do it every save. If you dont auto backup and the game goes corrupt, there is a 1 in x chance, where x equals the number of times saved before last backup, of saving a bad file as opposed to the 1 in 1 chance of doing it with auto back ups.

Went on and everything's fine. I will make an admission that I'm not one to regularly backup anything but I've had failures. They have irked badly but after a time I go back and start again. S**t happens, deal with it. PD and other firms who've been around long enough know to avoid error yet even they suffer the ignomy of data corruption and deletion. That's why once a week the check their systems and servers to make sure everything is running right. More over, with each of us now effectively connected to a world wide mainframe it goes with out saying that there is a greater chance of something going wrong (such as the internet connection fouling as it did to me today). The more complex the machine the more there is to fail. As others have said safeguard your data or accept the consequences (my saves aren't the centre of my life so losing them isn't as big a deal to me).

Oh yeah? Well ive been playing since atari and let me tell you!
Anecdotal ancedote aside, i happen to work in enterprise storage, backup and recovery for a living on an environment with over 20 petabytes spread across three datacenters with thousands and thousands of hard drives. Equipment fails, sectors crap out, data gets corrupted. Ultimately, crap happens. Over my decades of play, ive only lost a few game saves to corrupted data, but i have. The first time it happened in GT5 was the last time i didnt backup. Now i try to back up weekly games that i play regularly and all important data on my computer is kept on a drive that is linked to my server and backed up regularly, with redundancy.
Crap happens, if you dont take precautions to protect your data, Murphy's law will evetually bite you in the tush. When it does, you will only have yourself to blame.

Sure, stuff happens. But the data we're seeing in GTS in terms of a whole thread of people having their saves corrupted suggests that this is not just an unfortunate random occurrence, but an actual bug with GTS's save system. I don't see whole threads dedicated to total data loss for many other PS games.

You wanna toe, i can get you a toe, i know people Dude.
If you are referring to this thread, whay we have here is one person saying they had an issue and two pages of people telling them they should have made a back up. Between this thread and the one by GV27 we have a total of 2, not a thread full of examples.

How do you create a back
This is whats known as a corrupt save file, this definitely isn't the first GT where its possible to get one. Got a backup? If the answer is no, then that's kinda your fault.

How does one go about creating a back up so your info can be recovered???

You wanna toe, i can get you a toe, i know people Dude.
If you are referring to this thread, whay we have here is one person saying they had an issue and two pages of people telling them they should have made a back up. Between this thread and the one by GV27 we have a total of 2, not a thread full of examples.

This is the one I was referring to, I quickly counted about 10 people in that thread who lost all their cars, plus some others who had a few cars disappear. I've seen a couple other threads about it, but haven't done an exhaustive search.

Back