Gear buttons on controller

• Thread starter Barareklam
  • 33 comments
I use square for brake and X for acceleration... R2 is for my upshift and L2 for my downshift…It’s just easier for me using this button layout… I tried the original button layout which was R2 for acceleration and my index finger was starting to get sore… with this button layout I can play a long time… but depending on how I hold the controller and how long I play my middle finger and index finger can get numb lol… this is why I try to only play an hour a day…or at most an hour at a time and nothing more…

I use the right stick. Up for downshift, down for upshift. Don't know why but that's always what I've been the most comfortable with when I use a controller

Can you post a photo of paddles you are talking about, please.
Hi, sorry for the delay.

I have the white version of these. They require a bit of dismantling of the controller and it helps if you are already comfortable with small electronics and FFCs in particular - but it's simple enough if you take your time and follow the very good videos they have on youtube. They have a very satisfying click to them and fall to the hand nicely, but easy to stay away from them if you are playing a game where you don't want to use them also. Simple to reprogram to any of the controller buttons - although some soldering is required if you want to map them to L3/R3. The new backplate they give you also has a nice rubberised grip which is a bonus in my opinion.

R1 - gear up
L1 - gear down
Right Analog Stick - throttle/brake
R2 - handbrake
L2 - brake

Really like to use the analog stick for throttle control since GT2. Added the handbrake and brake in Forza 2 and carried it over to GT6 etc. IMO travel on triggers is too great for shifting and having analog for shifting is nonsense too – rather reserve it for braking to be able to do burnouts or better trail braking while using the analog stick for throttle.

Last edited:
Back