Gen 5 Dodge Viper

• Thread starter Chikane_GTR
  • 1,519 comments
The ACR is like a Porsche 911 GT3 RS and the Z06 is like a 911 GT3. Definitely an unfair comparison. Comparing the ACR to the GT3 RS is also unfair but it's the closest thing I can think of.

The ACR is like a Porsche 911 GT3 RS and the Z06 is like a 911 GT3. Definitely an unfair comparison. Comparing the ACR to the GT3 RS is also unfair but it's the closest thing I can think of.
And yet no one held this mindset when the C6 Z06 & ZR1 was beating up the last gen. Vipers.

The RS and ACR is more than fair. 2 heavily focused track variants of both companies' performance model.

Even as a die-hard Corvette fan, none of this bothers me.

The Z06 just doesn't feel right. It never has, and it probably never will. The previous-gen model was so damn good, and once they managed to sort out the suspension, it was a top-notch performer right up until the end. This one just has too many little problems, it really seems like a disservice to use the Z06 tag. Here's hoping the trickle down of Z06 bits to the Z51 makes for the better drivers car.

Wow at the end where the two test drive the acr

Mommy the engine is to loud
Mommy the seating is wrong
Mommy i don't like the color
Mommy i cant see over the dashboard
Mommy the floor is trying to kill me
Mommy theirs no ac
mommy i cant hear the radio

did i miss one :lol:

At every moment you can easily tell this two wanted the corvette to be better then the viper

Thankfully randy pobst word is the only one that matters cause its the truth :)

I consider A/C very appropriate for a track car, especially if it's a close vehicle. I hate driving a hot car. As it turns out, I think the Viper ACR has A/C.
That cuts off at full throttle to maximize horsepower. A/C has always been a counter-productive applicant for a race car, though.

Which still doesn't change what GTPorsche said; they're no longer together, so how does one propose they share a platform for a GT V12 that doesn't exist?

Do you have a source for this?

Alfa 90 Degree TTV6 is based on the Ferrari California T V8

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_Giulia_(952)
"The Quadrifoglio is powered by an all-aluminium, twin-turbocharged 90° V6 petrol engine, with a single-cylinder displacement of just under half a litre,[8] for a total of 2.9 L. This engine was developed exclusively for the Quadrifoglio by Ferrari technicians"

and Obviously Maserati V8's are Ferrari developed, you really think it started with the Hemi's or pentastar?

"The Quadrifoglio is powered by an all-aluminium, twin-turbocharged 90° V6 petrol engine, with a single-cylinder displacement of just under half a litre,[8] for a total of 2.9 L. This engine was developed exclusively for the Quadrifoglio by Ferrari technicians"

and Obviously Maserati V8's are Ferrari developed, you really think it started with the Hemi's or pentastar?
You said the engines & future variations were developed with Ferrari. In what way does your link prove the two are developing anything together? At most, it shows what the current rumors are saying; Dodge could be sourcing Ferrari-built V6s intended for Alfa Romeo.

Your original statement also contradicts what Gilles said in 2009, when it was talked about the current Viper being developed with Ferrari.
Dodge brand chief Ralph Gilles confirmed this week that while the next generation Viper may benefit from Maranello's knowledge and experience, no platforms or technology will be shared between the two.

Gilles added fuel to the fire earlier this week when, in a statement following a record Laguna Seca lap by the Dodge Viper ACR, he said "When we have partners across the ocean who are known as the best sports-car makers in the world, the future opportunities are huge."

In a later talk with US magazine Auto Week, Gilles qualified Dodge's position.

"They really know sports cars. We just want some advice," Gilles said. "Ferrari is Ferrari, Viper is Viper. Please don't go there."
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/46640/next-gen-dodge-viper-wont-get-ferrari-technology

You're just grasping at straws.

And yet no one held this mindset when the C6 Z06 & ZR1 was beating up the last gen. Vipers.
But the C6 Z06/ZR1 were pretty much the same level of car as the gen 4 Viper (neither had huge wings or extreme aero bits, excluding the gen 4 ACR). The gen 5 ACR is on another level from the C7 Z06, the huge GT3 wing, dive planes, front splitter, rear diffuser, Kumho tires, adjustable coilovers, etc. It's a street legal race car plain and simple. The gen 5 TA or GTS/SRT is the equivalent of the C7Z.

I absolutely love the ACR, but comparing it to the C7Z is apples to oranges imo. Both are halo cars though so I can see why the comparison would tried to be made.

That being said, I've always been a Vette guy but I'd have a hard time passing up a gen 5 Viper TA or ACR for a C7Z.

Last edited:
But the C6 Z06/ZR1 were pretty much the same level of car as the gen 4 Viper (neither had huge wings or extreme aero bits, excluding the gen 4 ACR). The gen 5 ACR is on another level from the C7 Z06, the huge GT3 wing, dive planes, front splitter, rear diffuser, Kumho tires, adjustable coilovers, etc. It's a street legal race car plain and simple. The gen 5 TA or GTS/SRT is the equivalent of the C7Z.

I absolutely love the ACR, but comparing it to the C7Z is apples to oranges imo. Both are halo cars though so I can see why the comparison would tried to be made.

That being said, I've always been a Vette guy but I'd have a hard time passing up a gen 5 Viper TA or ACR for a C7Z.
No argument here. A C7Z would be the ideal car since it won't destroy your life trying to drive it on the street, but that ACR would still be fun.

My buddy has one set for an April delivery so maybe I'll get to wet my beak a bit. :D

Dodge Sends Off Viper With Five 25th Ann Limited Editions

dodge-25th-viper-final-yr-6.jpg

Man, that GTS-R livery will never get old. What a way to send the car off.

It's going to be really weird looking back on this car in 10+ years and try to figure out what went wrong. On the one hand, everyone can agree that the launch was positively dreadful for the car, with press cars going foul, quality all over the board, and their weird relationship with motorsport. On the other hand, as the model years progressed, Dodge got their stuff together. The cars were better packaged, performance met expectations, quality seemed to be better, and the privateers got the Viper to be class-competitive in racing.

I'm of the mindset that they shot a little too high with this one, and didn't anticipate the market demanding a little too much comfort to make the Viper work. I really do hope that FCA gets around to doing another Viper again, because even as a Corvette guy, a little extra competition is always necessary. If they do, I'm sure they'll be trying to boil the car back down to what matters most, and whether or not the V10 is the only reason people would come back.

I think if the car returns years down the line, it will need that "World's largest production engine output" or whatever statistic that is in a V10, to bring people back. I don't think it can get away with anything else like Ford was able to with the GT.

I remember seeing one of these in Potamkin Cadillac(back in '96).
images

At the time, ugliest thing I've ever seen in a showroom(and my most hated colour scheme- even my avatar). I'd actually want one of the last Vipers, done in this scheme.

https://www.torquenews.com/106/dodge-viper-acr-headed-nurburgring-fan-funded-record-run

Thanks to a GoFundMe account started by a guy named Russ Oasis, the 2017 Dodge Viper ACR will be heading to the Nürburgring to see if what might be the last track-ready Dodge supercar has what it takes to reset the American performance car record at the world’s best known road course.

Back in September of 2011, a 2010 Dodge Viper SRT10 ACR piloted by Dominik Farnbacher lapped the 12.9 mile course in just 7:12.13 and other than the Gumpert Apollo Sport, no other road-going car had gotten around the famous road course in less time. Since then, the Lamborghini Huracán LP 640-4 Performante, the Porsche 918 Spyder, the Lamborghini Aventador SV, the Nissan GT-R Nismo and the Mercedes-AMG GT R have all jumped ahead of the Viper on the list of the quickest road cars around the Ring, but since the 5th generation Viper was introduced for the 2013 model year – followed up with the 2016 Viper ACR - Mopar fans have been calling for the new ACR to take a swing at the Nürburgring record.
The problem is that going over to the Nürburgring with a team aiming to make a record run is expensive and FCA doesn’t seem too keen on spending that money, especially with the Viper ACR setting 13 records around the US. That was where Russ Oasis came into play, as he spoke with folks from the Viper Exchange and he found that a new Nürburgring record run would cost around $156,000. With that in mind, Oasis opened a GoFundMe account to try to raise those funds and over the course of four months, remarkably, he has done it.
Relying only on donations, a pair of Dodge Viper ACR Extreme supercars from the Viper Exchange will be traveling with a team including experienced racers Dominik Farnbacher and Luca Stolz to Nurburg, Germany sometime in July to see if it can’t set yet another track record.

he New Viper Ring Record Run
When the pair of Dodge Viper ACR Extremes head over to the Nürburgring, the goal for Farnbacher and Stolz will be to turn a quicker time with the new ACR than the 7:12.13 turned in by the previous generation ACR. This new Viper is lighter and more powerful, it has better brakes, better suspension, better tires and, most importantly, a better aerodynamics package which should allow it to reach incredible speeds on the many sweeping turns of the Nürburgring – all of which should lead to a significantly quicker lap time.
While it seems likely that the team assembly by Oasis and the Viper Exchange will beat the time turned in by the 2010 Viper ACR, the biggest challenge comes in beating the European hypercars holding the spots above the previous Viper on the list of the top road car times. The Lamborghini Huracán LP 640-4 Performante’s record time is 20 seconds quicker than the 2010 Viper ACR, and it seems like cutting that much time is a tall order for the new ACR.
Realistically, even if this Viper team doesn’t beat the Lamborghini, anything in the 6-minute range will be an incredible feat and every second cut from the old Viper record of 7:12.13 is one more second below the best official time by a Chevrolet Corvette – which was a 7:19.63 run by the C6 ZR1 back in 2011.

The Stats

2016-dodge-viper-acr-front-top-angle-2-1500x1000.jpg

2017 Dodge Viper ACR Extreme
-------------------------------------------
  • 8.4L VIPER V-10 645 Horsepower @ 6,200RPM, 600 Ft-Lbs of Torque @5,000RPM - 6-Speed Manual
  • Brembo 6-Piston Carbon Ceramic Brakes 15-Inches (Front), Brembo 4-Piston Carbon Ceramic Brakes 14-Inches (Rear)
  • Aerodynamic Advantage - 1,763lbs of Downforce @ 177mph
  • Top Speed - 177mph
  • 3,374lbs of Curb Weight
  • Tires: 295/25 ZR 19 (F); 355/30 ZR 19 (R) Kumho Ecsta V720 (Specially for Viper ACR)
547f364a36941_-_mo011_040dga-lg.jpg

2010 Dodge Viper ACR Hardcore
  • 8.4L VIPER V-10 600 Horsepower @ 6,100RPM, 560 Ft-Lbs of Torque @5,000RPM - 6-Speed Manual
  • Brembo 4-Piston Vented Disc Brakes 14-Inches (Front), Brembo 4-Piston Vented Disc Brakes 14-Inches (Rear)
  • Aerodynamic Advantage - 1,000lbs of Downforce @ 150mph
  • Top Speed - 202mph
  • 3,379lbs of Curb Weight
  • Tires: 295/30 ZR 18 (F); 345/30 ZR 19 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup Tires
  • Nurburgring Time: 7.22.10
dodge_viper_2010_photos_1_1024x768.jpg

2010 Dodge Viper ACR-X (Non-Street Legal)
  • 8.4L VIPER V-10 640 Horsepower @ 6,100RPM, 585 Ft-Lbs of Torque @5,000RPM - 6-Speed Manual
  • Brembo 4-Piston Vented Disc Brakes 14-Inches (Front), Brembo 4-Piston Vented Disc Brakes 14-Inches (Rear)
  • Aerodynamic Advantage - 1,100lbs of Downforce @ 150mph
  • Top Speed - 204mph
  • 3,190lbs of Curb Weight
  • Tires: 295/30 ZR 18 (F); 345/30 ZR 19 Michelin Pilot Slicks
  • Nurburgring Time: 7.03

Will be interesting to see how it compares to the ACR-X. I think it would be a tall order to match that time, set on slicks.

By calculation, the Extreme has 1266lbs of downforce at 150mph (1266 = 1763 * 150*150 / 177*177), so not a lot more.

Back