Gen 5 Dodge Viper

• Thread starter Chikane_GTR
  • 1,519 comments
Shame Chrysler didn't evolve the Viper, in the same way Ferrari kept the 308 going to current 488. What a tale that could have been told of a V8, TTV8, small displacement V10, V12, Hybrid, electric(whatever) Viper over the years.

I think a more compact, sleek liftback coupe with a Twin-Turbo V6 and a $70,000 price would be perfect to rival the Porsches and the upcoming Toyota Supra. Maybe even the lower-grade Corvettes. Then make a GTE version after and go racing again.

The Viper would never be able to pull off what Ford did with GT; the market would walk away from it if it came back with anything other than a V10.

I think a more compact, sleek liftback coupe with a Twin-Turbo V6 and a $70,000 price would be perfect to rival the Porsches and the upcoming Toyota Supra. Maybe even the lower-grade Corvettes. Then make a GTE version after and go racing again.

I wonder if those are Fiat's plans for the Barracuda mention from a couple years back. I can't find the article I remember reading but I could swear they said it was going to be a smaller, lighter, more agile version of the Challenger. It wouldn't surprise me too much if they just went all in on it and turned it into an honorary successor to the Viper, but I've heard nothing about it since so who knows.

I wonder if those are Fiat's plans for the Barracuda mention from a couple years back. I can't find the article I remember reading but I could swear they said it was going to be a smaller, lighter, more agile version of the Challenger. It wouldn't surprise me too much if they just went all in on it and turned it into an honorary successor to the Viper, but I've heard nothing about it since so who knows.

I doubt it, FCA seems hellbent on making SUVs and crossovers only.

FCA made the Hellcat, Demon, and the Alfa 4C, and Giulia, as well as the 500 Abarth. They might like their SUVs, but they aren't exactly shying away from sporty cars.

The Demon especially tells me that they aren't afraid to dump a ton of time and money into making something go fast, because mechanically the thing shares little in common with the base Challenger.

I'm not saying it's going to happen or even that's it's likely, just that they mentioned something about it a few years ago and Dodge's go-fast division is still very much alive. Bringing back the Barracuda with a bang would probably generate some brand hype, as well. The "throw a bunch of horsepower at it" trick(however much I may love it) is only going to work for so long so they're going to have to do something different for the car enthusiats to keep paying attention.

Yeah there was an entire thread dedicated to that alone, it was even an article on the front page
Thanks, I must have missed it. I just figured it would have been discussed in this thread or a new thread made in this section.
Edit, I see it on the front page, one page back. It was put in the Cars in General section, not Auto News that's why I didn't see it.

What a shame, I always wished the Viper would be here to stay. I guess it's just not a car people want.

It died once before and came back, I'm guessing it could happen again. Although I'm sure the Fiat side of FCA didn't really like having a car that could best Ferrari supercars in terms of performance.

It died once before and came back, I'm guessing it could happen again. Although I'm sure the Fiat side of FCA didn't really like having a car that could best Ferrari supercars in terms of performance.

Good news is that they don't own Ferrari anymore, so that won't be a problem for future models.

Good news is that they don't own Ferrari anymore, so that won't be a problem for future models.

They don't own them on paper, but it's pretty clear they are still pulling the strings. Sergio Marchionne is still the CEO of both companies.

The Ferarris have nothing to do with Viper production people..... The Gov. killed the viper (mandatory Safety regulations).

The Ferarris have nothing to do with Viper production people..... The Gov. killed the viper (mandatory Safety regulations).

I don't think anyone has said otherwise. What I said was that the Ferrari could end up preventing a rebirth of the Viper at a later date as long as Sergio is in command.

I don't think anyone has said otherwise. What I said was that the Ferrari could end up preventing a rebirth of the Viper at a later date as long as Sergio is in command.

I was speaking in General. There is a replacement coming after 2021. LX replacements are top priority right now

Shame Chrysler didn't evolve the Viper, in the same way Ferrari kept the 308 going to current 488. What a tale that could have been told of a V8, TTV8, small displacement V10, V12, Hybrid, electric(whatever) Viper over the years.
I think the Viper evolved quite nicely. From a bit of messy open top roadster to a serious track machine. It's really one of the few cars that I think went in the right direction for a supercar. The ACR is a halo car done right in my opinion.

Sad to see the viper go :( I first saw the viper in GT1 and it was love at first sight :embarrassed:
That's why even today its still the only car that i like more then the P1
:)

Back