Gen 5 Dodge Viper

• Thread starter Chikane_GTR
  • 1,519 comments
Yes, I'm snooping around seeing where I can get the best deal on a ACR. Surprisingly, they only want $10,000 as a minimum down payment even on that model. I'm hoping you can still get one by mid 2017, I've seen one source mention that production will end in August of that year. There really won't be anything to fill the gap once the car is gone.

Hate to hear that but considering it just hasn't sold all that well (even with the Dodge Branding), I'm not exactly surprised.

Yes, I'm snooping around seeing where I can get the best deal on a ACR. Surprisingly, they only want $10,000 as a minimum down payment even on that model. I'm hoping you can still get one by mid 2017, I've seen one source mention that production will end in August of that year. There really won't be anything to fill the gap once the car is gone.

Seems that's their intention at this point.

Well, they are trying to survive as a company.
The market for generic is saturated as is, a company needs some sense of character to attract people to it, and Chrysler has zero character among all their brands. The only exception being Jeep since they're kinda like the American version of Land Rover.

The market for generic is saturated as is, a company needs some sense of character to attract people to it, and Chrysler has zero character among all their brands. The only exception being Jeep since they're kinda like the American version of Land Rover.

Its kinda hard to do "fun" when you're trying to survive though (which in itself isn't fun).

Personally the Chrysler 200 looks absolutely fantastic to me. The only thing I don't like is that it's a Chrysler so it's held together by **** and fail.

Honestly, that's the only real problem with the FCA or whatever.

They have some amazing cars and options in about every segment, but in the end the quality is terrible.

Its kinda hard to do "fun" when you're trying to survive though (which in itself isn't fun).
I know but none of the cars have any sort of reason to buy them over ay other brand at all.

Personally the Chrysler 200 looks absolutely fantastic to me. The only thing I don't like is that it's a Chrysler so it's held together by **** and fail.

Honestly, that's the only real problem with the FCA or whatever.

They have some amazing cars and options in about every segment, but in the end the quality is terrible.
Eh, I liked the previous 200, that looked good and unique. Personally the new one looks like a Honda.

Well, they are trying to survive as a company.
If you're being run by FIAT, surviving is the least of your problems. Dodge/Chrysler/whatever is being outshone by GM and Ford, and asides from the Charger, they have absolutely nothing worth noting. Even the Challenger is finding its niche being shrunk, despite the fact that Mustangs and Camaros are selling like crazy. Corvette didn't single handedly kill the Viper, but it surely embarrassed it. When the Ford GT comes out, the Viper will once again be at the bottom of the heap.

Corvette didn't single handedly kill the Viper, but it surely embarrassed it. When the Ford GT comes out, the Viper will once again be at the bottom of the heap.
The Viper wasn't really behind the Corvette or other competitors. The base car is competitive with Z06 trims with perhaps better endurance (no supercharger heat soak issues). The TA models are competitive with fully loaded Z06's performance wise. Originally, the Viper was a little more expensive, but that's no longer the case. The Ford GT is less a direct competitor this time around given price and rarity, and there's no guarantee it will be able to keep up with the ACR.

I don't really find Chrysler all that interesting without the Viper. Some years ago, I would say it was the only car that they made that was worth buying really, but the Charger/300 is alright. While having a car like the Viper is about more than raw sales, there is probably some correlation between sales and interest so I can understand why it's going away. If Dodge is supposed to become a serious performance brand though, it should come back. It's not something that can't happen, but it's unlikely to be as short as the return in 2013.

2017 will be the final year for the Viper eh? Chrysler is such a let down of a company.
But how many farewell tours has Cher done?

It'll come back and it'll be the same midlife-crisis-mobile it's always been. I can't wait to not buy one whenever I eventually have mine.

If you're being run by FIAT, surviving is the least of your problems. Dodge/Chrysler/whatever is being outshone by GM and Ford, and asides from the Charger, they have absolutely nothing worth noting. Even the Challenger is finding its niche being shrunk, despite the fact that Mustangs and Camaros are selling like crazy. Corvette didn't single handedly kill the Viper, but it surely embarrassed it. When the Ford GT comes out, the Viper will once again be at the bottom of the heap.
When the Ford GT comes out,
A) The Viper will already be on its way out.
B) Will be in a price bracket so far away, even comparing a 488 GTB would be a stretch. There's not a soul that would even remotely think of comparing the 2 in any way. $400,000+ 200-unit supercar vs. $88,000 performance car?

The Viper died due coming out too expensive, poor dealer network, & SRT/Dodge doing very little to get potential buyers out to drive the cars. It's a shame considering how many owners actually love their cars.

The competition for the Viper grew...it was the F-Type (V6 models), Corvette, RC-F and M4 among others.

But how many farewell tours has Cher done?

It'll come back and it'll be the same midlife-crisis-mobile it's always been. I can't wait to not buy one whenever I eventually have mine.
The question is though, since it's been a while, was the factory where they make them shut down completely and the employees laid off last time? The gap between Viper's wasn't exactly huge last time.

Viper has always been a heavy hitter. They should've made tamer entry-level model. Call it Copperhead for example, and offer it with V6 and V8, manual and auto.

Probably best the Viper program is ended, I think it kind of lost its way. The performance was always good, but I'm not sure it can compete against the Corvette Z06 anymore.

Chrysler stuck a massive engine in a 4-door sedan, they have a 707hp muscle car, they have a performance SUV, and they have arguably the best out of the box off road vehicle on the market today. How are they generic? I don't even like any Chrysler products, but I wouldn't call them generic or lacking character.

Viper has always been a heavy hitter. They should've made tamer entry-level model. Call it Copperhead for example, and offer it with V6 and V8, manual and auto.

I agree they should have made one, perhaps kept the crossfire and just evolved it to be that. But I also agree with Tornado that wouldn't have done anything to save it, rather it would just be a reason for Chrysler to have a 2 seat sport car series.

Who knows.. Now that FCA is cooperating with Mazda, using Miata as basis for the reborn 124 convertible, maybe they'll extend that to fulfill the sportscar boots of Chrysler/Dodge.

The Viper wasnt Meant to last this long, Says Chrysler. it and all the other Specialty cars (Prowler) was created as a Test for special Manufacturing, ei Carbon Fiber=Viper, Aluminium=Prowler. What the Articles isnt mentioning, is that Conner Ave isn't Closing. There is something in the works for FCA over there that they are keeping Secret, and i think it has to do with Giorgio. or a another new platform for use of all FCA specialty cars.

Also the Viper wasnt meant to sell in Corvette numbers, hell they could only build about 12 a day.

Back