Gene Haas' new American F1 team

• Thread starter Roo
  • 700 comments
I honestly would pick Manor over Haas, but I'd still like to give Haas the benefit of the doubt cause they delayed their 2015 entry to this season, meaning they really wanted to enter F1 with as much preparation as they could have. Sauber should still be competitive providing they get their act together, but right now, they really don't look like the team that powered Kamui and Checo's point-scoring campaigns, which is really disappointing.

Competitive with no money? I mean we all know tons of money doesn't win many races or even championships, but no money doesn't get you any where in F1. If they get some more financial backing then sure, but at that point even still they have about as much engine parity as Toro Rosso now that HAAS is in the picture.

Last edited:
Competitive with no money? I mean we all know tons of money doesn't win many races or even championships, but no money doesn't get you any where in F1. If they get some more financial backing then sure, but at that point even still they have about as much engine parity as Toro Rosso now that HAAS is in the picture.

Antares26
providing they get their act together
I'm just being hopeful for Sauber cause I personally like the team, but you're pretty much on point in terms of their finances. They're getting new sponsors based on their new livery, but it just feels like they're only attracting enough money to keep them in the sport.

I'm just being hopeful for Sauber cause I personally like the team, but you're pretty much on point in terms of their finances. They're getting new sponsors based on their new livery, but it just feels like they're only attracting enough money to keep them in the sport.

Well I don't hate them either, but sadly reality is what it is. There was a rumor recently that supposedly BMW were interested in going back their, but I'm not sure how solid that is especially considering the source. Also they can get their act together without the money, to me getting their act together is not trying to sign four drivers to two seats before the start of Australia :sly:.

Well I don't hate them either, but sadly reality is what it is. There was a rumor recently that supposedly BMW were interested in going back their, but I'm not sure how solid that is especially considering the source. Also they can get their act together without the money, to me getting their act together is not trying to sign four drivers to two seats before the start of Australia :sly:.
Oh that was just shameful from them. Obviously, drivers fight for seats in F1 but not that way :lol:

Haas needs some cool American sponsorship. Who makes cool stuff that the whole world uses? Coca-Cola? Dow DuPont? Monsanto? McDonalds?

I think Daniel Ricciardo is right when he says that online launches are soulless. So many teams just release photos of their cars on plain white backgrounds; I think they'll look considerably better in action later today.

In the flesh:

c66404ee-4294-4522-926c-f73fbf11b8aa_500.jpg

Lighter paint. McLaren reckon that they saved four kilograms by abandoning the chrome look.

Back in the late-1980s, Ron Dennis admitted they actually removed all the paint after a race, because re-sprays added weight, it didn't look as tidy to the sponsors, and variations in the paint causes aero turbulence. I wonder if they kept that policy over the years, so unless their cars were right at the minimum weight (underweight car + painted bodywork = legal), I think ditching the fancy pewter was for other contractural reasons.

Last edited:
I wasn't as keen as others at the livery on first sighting. I'd still like to see something more appealing than grey / silver used, however I am really liking the Haas stickers with the black outlines. Both really stand out when on track.

Back in the late-1980s, Ron Dennis admitted they actually removed all the paint after a race, because re-sprays added weight, it didn't look as tidy to the sponsors, and variations in the paint causes aero turbulence. I wonder if they kept that policy over the years, so unless their cars were [underweight + painted bodywork], I think ditching the fancy pewter was for other reasons.
I seem to recall reading a feature in an old issue of F1 Racing where they went into the one facility that paints the chassis for the teams. Everything has to be done in an hermetically-sealed chamber, because if any foreign particles settled onto the chassis and painted over, then - depending on where the particles were - it could cost the cars tenths of a second.

Should be noted there wasn't any hope of any of those teams actually getting past the last three rows back then...except Caterham maybe. Haas started from nothing, those were all recycles of previously bad teams.
Wrong, those three teams all started from scratch as well, they just had serious financial issues at every corner with the exception of Caterham who were essentially the F1 equivalent of QPR in terms of success relative to spending, funny enough also owned by Fernandes.

Wrong, those three teams all started from scratch as well, they just had serious financial issues at every corner with the exception of Caterham who were essentially the F1 equivalent of QPR in terms of success relative to spending, funny enough also owned by Fernandes.
Wasn't one of them Spyker previously though? I remember Spyker turned into something.... :confused:

Looks a bit worse in the flesh to me. Kind of looks like a lego car...

Wonder if it would've looked any better with silver instead of grey, and black rims instead of chrome rims.

What an interesting time to debut this team. With Tony Stewart Retiring, Gene Haas can have eyes on his NASCAR team while his are on his F1 team.

What an interesting time to debut this team. With Tony Stewart Retiring, Gene Haas can have eyes on his NASCAR team while his are on his F1 team.
I doubt that was the intention - Haas announced that he was deferring his Formula One entry until 2016 eighteen months ago, and nor is he the Haas F1 team principal; that's ex-Jaguar staffer Guenther Steiner.

And why would Haas need a pair of eyes watching his NASCAR team in his absence? Is the team under threat?

I doubt that was the intention - Haas announced that he was deferring his Formula One entry until 2016 eighteen months ago, and nor is he the Haas F1 team principal; that's ex-Jaguar staffer Guenther Steiner.

And why would Haas need a pair of eyes watching his NASCAR team in his absence? Is the team under threat?

Team isn't under threat at all but having guidance is always a great thing in the success of NASCAR and Indy teams. Hence why most races have team owners there. However, Gene may want to see his new investment flourish or not flourish track side and thus give the people he's paying that much more incentive to do good (as if they didn't have it already). So if that's his plan, having the other team boss on the NASCAR side be at the NASCAR races is probably a good idea.

Back