Gene Haas' new American F1 team

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Roo, Jan 16, 2014.

1. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

Competitive with no money? I mean we all know tons of money doesn't win many races or even championships, but no money doesn't get you any where in F1. If they get some more financial backing then sure, but at that point even still they have about as much engine parity as Toro Rosso now that HAAS is in the picture.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
    catamount39 likes this.
  2. Antares26

Antares26

I'm just being hopeful for Sauber cause I personally like the team, but you're pretty much on point in terms of their finances. They're getting new sponsors based on their new livery, but it just feels like they're only attracting enough money to keep them in the sport.

3. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

Well I don't hate them either, but sadly reality is what it is. There was a rumor recently that supposedly BMW were interested in going back their, but I'm not sure how solid that is especially considering the source. Also they can get their act together without the money, to me getting their act together is not trying to sign four drivers to two seats before the start of Australia :sly:.

4. Antares26

Antares26

Oh that was just shameful from them. Obviously, drivers fight for seats in F1 but not that way :lol:

LMSCorvetteGT2 likes this.
  5. Omnis

Omnis Staff Emeritus

Haas needs some cool American sponsorship. Who makes cool stuff that the whole world uses? Coca-Cola? Dow DuPont? Monsanto? McDonalds?

Furinkazen likes this.
  6. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

I think Daniel Ricciardo is right when he says that online launches are soulless. So many teams just release photos of their cars on plain white backgrounds; I think they'll look considerably better in action later today.

7. Bram Turismo

Bram Turismo Premium

HAAS Oreo Racing Team.

Dead gummit, make it happen!

Rods likes this.
  8. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

In the flesh:

[​IMG]

9. MidnightRun85

MidnightRun85

I read on F1technical that the black livery chosen by the McLaren/Honda and Lotus teams is actually lighter (in weight terms) than the colourful liveries. Not sure how, but hey, that's what they claim!

10. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Lighter paint. McLaren reckon that they saved four kilograms by abandoning the chrome look.

niky and MidnightRun85 like this.
  11. GTPorsche

GTPorsche

Every company you listed also uses red, white and/or black. :p

Omnis likes this.
  12. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

[​IMG]

ukfan758 likes this.
  13. Pupik

Pupik Staff Emeritus

Back in the late-1980s, Ron Dennis admitted they actually removed all the paint after a race, because re-sprays added weight, it didn't look as tidy to the sponsors, and variations in the paint causes aero turbulence. I wonder if they kept that policy over the years, so unless their cars were right at the minimum weight (underweight car + painted bodywork = legal), I think ditching the fancy pewter was for other contractural reasons.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  14. Pezzarinho17

Pezzarinho17

I wasn't as keen as others at the livery on first sighting. I'd still like to see something more appealing than grey / silver used, however I am really liking the Haas stickers with the black outlines. Both really stand out when on track.

15. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

I seem to recall reading a feature in an old issue of F1 Racing where they went into the one facility that paints the chassis for the teams. Everything has to be done in an hermetically-sealed chamber, because if any foreign particles settled onto the chassis and painted over, then - depending on where the particles were - it could cost the cars tenths of a second.

16. GTPorsche

GTPorsche

Oops...

17. Antares26

Antares26

Somebody's done a Red Bull :lol:

18. Peter.

Peter.

Wrong, those three teams all started from scratch as well, they just had serious financial issues at every corner with the exception of Caterham who were essentially the F1 equivalent of QPR in terms of success relative to spending, funny enough also owned by Fernandes.

19. catamount39

catamount39

Wasn't one of them Spyker previously though? I remember Spyker turned into something.... :confused:

20. Peter.

Peter.

Force India.

catamount39 likes this.
  21. Samus

Samus

Spyker became Force India.

Rods and catamount39 like this.
  22. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

Jordan eventually became Spyker eventually became Force India.

EDIT: @Samus tree'd me :)

catamount39 likes this.
  23. catamount39

catamount39

Ah okay, now that makes sense. :idea: Thanks guys. :tup: :tup:

Peter. likes this.
  24. Bram Turismo

Bram Turismo Premium

Looks a bit worse in the flesh to me. Kind of looks like a lego car...

Wonder if it would've looked any better with silver instead of grey, and black rims instead of chrome rims.

Rods likes this.
  25. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Gene Haas has been spotted in the Barcelona pit, having flown in from Daytona overnight:

[​IMG]

AJHG1000 likes this.
  26. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

What an interesting time to debut this team. With Tony Stewart Retiring, Gene Haas can have eyes on his NASCAR team while his are on his F1 team.

27. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

I doubt that was the intention - Haas announced that he was deferring his Formula One entry until 2016 eighteen months ago, and nor is he the Haas F1 team principal; that's ex-Jaguar staffer Guenther Steiner.

And why would Haas need a pair of eyes watching his NASCAR team in his absence? Is the team under threat?

28. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

Team isn't under threat at all but having guidance is always a great thing in the success of NASCAR and Indy teams. Hence why most races have team owners there. However, Gene may want to see his new investment flourish or not flourish track side and thus give the people he's paying that much more incentive to do good (as if they didn't have it already). So if that's his plan, having the other team boss on the NASCAR side be at the NASCAR races is probably a good idea.

Antares26 likes this.
  29. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Oh, I get that @RACECAR's post insinuated that Haas F1's debut was timed to coincide with Stewart's departure.

30. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

Just simple luck is all he's saying hence the "interesting time"