Gene Haas' new American F1 team

• Thread starter Roo
  • 700 comments
With the connection to Ferrari, I think the reaction and anticipation of seeing another 2 cars on the grid, especially one's who will supposedly compete mid pack, would be quite strong no matter where the team was from.

There wasn't much interest when Caterham, HRT and Virgin launched in 2010.
Should be noted there wasn't any hope of any of those teams actually getting past the last three rows back then...except Caterham maybe. Haas started from nothing, those were all recycles of previously bad teams.

In fact, I think those teams got far more reaction in their exit of the sport then in their Entrance (though technically, Caterham sorta had it when they were lotus and that was merely for the confusion it caused)
Caterham was supported by Lotus, then actual Lotus bought Renault and became Lotus F1 and Caterham became independent Caterham...wait... :ill:....

Wait... they did start back as Lotus... and then became Caterham...
And now they're Renault....so it was Lotus (Caterham), then Lotus F1 (Renault) and Caterham was left by itself and old Renault Lotus is Renault again...I think...

No, that was a different saga.
Because Lotus was supporting Caterham, then bought Renault and became Lotus F1 and got old Lotus to change back to Caterham.

No. Renault became Lotus, and then Renault bought Lotus back last year.

Lotus F1 launched in 2010, and changed to Caterham when Renault became Lotus.
Okay now I get it...sort of...and now I have a headache. xD

Lotus - Caterham - Missing
Renault - Lotus - Renault

Because Lotus was supporting Caterham, then bought Renault and became Lotus F1 and got old Lotus to change back to Caterham.

Okay now I get it...sort of...and now I have a headache. xD

Basically,

• Fernandes' Lotus was Team Lotus (green/yellow)
  • Lotus F1 (black/gold) was what emerged when Renault sold it's F1 stake.
  • Lotus F1 forced Fernandes to change the name of his team to Caterham.
  • Renault bought back what they sold of Lotus F1 and are back as the works Renault team.

Do you have data that shows where the web traffic was coming from? No other team launch has had that much attention on it.

Alexa.com shows 42% of its traffic is from the U.S. being the most. How accurate or reliable that is I don't know.

I like the livery, even if it is using similar colours to other teams. It immediately stands out because of the actual design. I particularly like the blue stripe framed by white forward of the cockpit.

It would, however, be nice to see a bit more sponsorship, even if it's only technical partners. Big, bold numbers on the rear wing would be nice, too.

The front and rear wings are pretty much identical to the F15-T but the rest of the body work appears to be far from a Ferrari B-car than many expected. Hopefully it really does perform well on track and isn't just a back marker.

The front and rear wings are pretty much identical to the F15-T but the rest of the body work appears to be far from a Ferrari B-car than many expected. Hopefully it really does perform well on track and isn't just a back marker.
That Fezza power plant at least moves them within the top 12 or 15 (maybe...depends).

I can't wait to hear what it sounds like driving in anger (and in 60 FPS, HD).

Just like England's spectacular national "football" team.
In their defense, at least they have won a World Cup, but it has been 50 years.

Anyway, how does everyone think they will perform in testing?

They've already dealt with an oil leak during their installation lap yesterday in private. Times mean nothing in testing, so as long as they don't run into teething issues with the car, they should be ok.

They've already dealt with an oil leak during their installation lap yesterday in private. Times mean nothing in testing, so as long as they don't run into teething issues with the car, they should be ok.
Exactly, hopefully the Dallara/Ferrari combination is a good one.

Not sure about the theories on the bump in the nose on here to be honest with you.

To me the positioning coincides with the pushrod chassis entry point on the side so i think it's more likely providing clearance for the suspension rocker.

If that is the case, makes you wonder why the nose is lower than the ferrari which uses the same setup, especially since getting as much air under the nose as possible seems to be the trend these days.

Exactly, hopefully the Dallara/Ferrari combination is a good one.
Hopefully they paid Dallara enough for them to really make a good chassis, because Dallara didn't exactly do that well with the financially-challenged Campos/HRT back in 2010.

For good racing's sake, I honestly hope Haas is a better organization than HRT.

In their defense, at least they have won a World Cup, but it has been 50 years.

Anyway, how does everyone think they will perform in testing?

Mid pack. Tomorrow wont tell us much unless your chassis starts with a W and ends in a 7.

Hopefully they paid Dallara enough for them to really make a good chassis, because Dallara didn't exactly do that well with the financially-challenged Campos/HRT back in 2010.

For good racing's sake, I honestly hope Haas is a better organization than HRT.

They (HRT) also didn't have a technical alliance with a team that has one of the most expansive up to date wind tunnels in Europe. Not to count the fact that HAAS themselves have the most advance rolling full scale wind tunnel in North America. They have other tech privileges like current engines and feed back from Ferrari as well. Also we know the financial backers of HAAS while HRT was more uncertain and those they did have left the team within the first year I believe so...there is no comparison to a half baked car with a cosworth engine that barely did well in the Williams.

Last edited:
They (HRT) also didn't have a technical alliance with a team that has one of the most expansive up to date wind tunnels in Europe. Not to count the fact that HAAS themselves have the most advance rolling full scale wind tunnel in North America. They have other tech privileges like current engines and feed back from Ferrari as well. Also we know the financial backers of HAAS while HRT was more uncertain and those they did have left the team within the first year I believe so...there is no comparison to a half baked car with a cosworth engine that barely did well in the Williams.
Let's hope those resources are enough to make them competitive enough to fight with, at least, the Saubers.

Let's hope those resources are enough to make them competitive enough to fight with, at least, the Saubers.

They probably already have the Saubers beat, the problem is people see a new team and think well these guys are going to be at the back to start with cause it's F1. When in reality Sauber is back of the grid, money woes, no tech alliances with any engine firm and basically just a team without a paddle. Manor has forged a similar b-team alliance with Mercedes that HAAS has with Ferrari. Both teams have their car ready for the first test and beyond, Sauber doesn't and there is usually a significant reason for this.

EDIT:

Also Romain's perspective this year
Cbwryt0WIAUaR5P.jpg

Last edited:
They probably already have the Saubers beat, the problem is people see a new team and think well these guys are going to be at the back to start with cause it's F1. When in reality Sauber is back of the grid, money woes, no tech alliances with any engine firm and basically just a team without a paddle. Manor has forged a similar b-team alliance with Mercedes that HAAS has with Ferrari. Both teams have their car ready for the first test and beyond, Sauber doesn't and there is usually a significant reason for this.
I honestly would pick Manor over Haas, but I'd still like to give Haas the benefit of the doubt cause they delayed their 2015 entry to this season, meaning they really wanted to enter F1 with as much preparation as they could have. Sauber should still be competitive providing they get their act together, but right now, they really don't look like the team that powered Kamui and Checo's point-scoring campaigns, which is really disappointing.

Back