General discussions for GTA Vice City Stories

- GTA Vice City Stories -

Hi all - I open this topic for comments about GTA Vice City Stories.

I don't know if exist a similar topic, but I open this equally. If exist a similar, please the @Admins to closed this topic.

I was just wondering, how come this game doesn't gets the publicity that GTA:SA or GTA:VC got at the beginning? Is it because they won't be as good as the past ones?

The same with GTA:LCS, I didn't even know that game existed until I went to BestBuy and saw it. Reviews says the game is not better than its predecessors, plus the lack of publicity, makes me uninterested on it.

But what about GTA: Vice City Stories? What's up with that game? Are there any trailers out yet? It's being released in 2 days and...I don't know! I mean, there's usually a big crowd of GTA followers whenever a new tittle comes out but lately I haven't seen any hype of any kind!

Does everyone have such low expectations for the upcoming GTA tittles?

There were plenty of commercials for VCS when it came out on PSP...

They will come back when the game is released with the added "now available on PS2" -- they aren't going to over hype a re-tooled vice city... its not a full GTA-- most of the people that will buy this game, know that it comes out on tuesday (in the US) anyway... I'm certain you will see this on channels and times when VCS's target audience is watching... eg comedy channel during South Park, Spike TV, etc... I would not expect to see it during JAG or CSI or during family sitcoms and the like...

So far so good-- I've only played about 90 minutes so far... I like the improvements (over VC) I've seen so far

How are the graphics, better or worse than the original VC? and also how do they compare to the PSP VCS?

Looks pretty similar to VC-- I thought it looked a bit darker-- I went into my setup and adjusted the brightness almost all the way up.

I never saw how it looked on PSP.

For those that don't know, there are some "gameplay character ability" enhancements you will like-- not as much stuff as SA but definitely improvements from VC-- and a new bike ;) -- Great sound track from what I can see-- as good as VC's was IMO

Is this one better than Vice City was (or at least equal with it), or does it suffer from the same curse that LCS suffered in relation GTA III?

Yep he can swim, but I was unable to get to the other island--

The graphics may be slightly down from VC-- hard to tell-- still well worth $20.

The map is slightly different from what I can see so far... definite street layout improvements so far... the changes are very minor but marked improvments-- you will see what I mean 5 minutes after starting a game.

I'm being vague on purpose so as not to provide ANY spoilers.

So far I'm very happy with this game-- will see how the story/game plays out... I did look at the cast/voices and looks like several of the voices from VC returned-- and while I have not listened to all the stations yet, I did look over the song list for each station... looks equivalent or better then VC's song quality--

I'll get my copy tomorrow. Can't wait :dopey:

Just wondering how I am supposed to get time for everything, though. Two exams next week, started playing Zelda:TP monday and then VCS tomorrow :crazy:

I'll get my copy tomorrow. Can't wait :dopey:

Just wondering how I am supposed to get time for everything, though. Two exams next week, started playing Zelda:TP monday and then VCS tomorrow :crazy:
I'll see your schedule, and raise you 3 kids, a full time (and then some) job, and a fixer upper house :scared:

-- which is why I've played only 90 minutes in 3 days I've had the game... should take me at least 2-3 months to get 100%

How much over there KM???

Was only $19.99 (US) here-- A good thing they didn't know how much I was willing to pay ;)
I paid 25 euro for it (about $32). Damn Americans, you get everything cheaper than us. The same shop I bought it in had the PS3s advertised for 630 euro, due out here in a couple of weeks. That's about $825! Crazy.

It's good so far. I've only played the first couple of missions, and I've spent about an hour just driving around the island exploring and seeing the changes they've made. I gotta remember though, that this isn't San Andreas and I can't expect to bounce into things at high speed on a motorbike and not come flying off. And Victor Vance can swim! Woohoo!

I also see there's a miles flown stat in your stats page so at least they've brought back choppers and/or planes in this game.

KM.

Pfff, - here it's DKK 299.95 ~ 39.50 € ~ US$ 51 :eek: (feel free to make up the difference Spuds :dopey: )

Just fooled around a bit, popped some balloons and did the firefighter mission.
Been a while since I was in VC last, - but noticed they'd undone Sunshine Auto's
To me the graphics is disappointing, - but I only played VC on PC so that's not a fair comparison. Love the soundtrack so far.

@KM, - just gun the bike. At full speed all traffic seem to dissappear :odd:

@KM, - just gun the bike. At full speed all traffic seem to dissappear :odd:
I've noticed an odd bug that from time to time all the traffic just dissappears off the road. I spent about 20 minutes riding around without seeing a single car on the roads. Well, it wouldn't be a GTA game without a whole heap of bugs and glitches.

KM.

How are the graphics, better or worse than the original VC?
I'd say the graphics are pretty much the same as Vice City. They probably used pretty much the same basic game engine. That Renderware engine is looking really dated though. Compared with games on my Xbox 360 and on my PC, it's really poor looking.

But as with all games, gameplay is more important than anything else, and if it's half as much fun as Vice City was, then it'll be great value for money, regardless of outdated looking graphics.

KM.

I bought my copy yesterday from EB Games ($50.00NZ) and am really loving it so far.

THERE MAY BE A FEW SPOILERS BELOW, SO SKIP PAST THIS POST IF YOU WANT

So far these are the things i love;
- That Vic has (at this stage of the game) such good morals, i.e. not wanting to get into any trouble.
- The graphics, i have trails turned on and some of the lighting effects from the sun/sky etc are close to what Just Cause on the Xbox looks like - very impressive (although those who play a lot of games probably won't think they are that good).
- Love how you start off in the military base on the last island you unlocked in the first VC (theoretically, the second one as the very first GTA has VC too).
- Like all of the construction and different things going on compared to the other VC (i.e. Sunshine Autos' new building under construction right beside its current one, the big mansion on Starfish Island about 80% built and with a pond instead of the maze, roads where there are not roads in the other VC - like from the airport straight to the entrance of the old Sunshine Autos, and more)
- I like how you can enter shops and smash stuff, can shoot tv's, stereos etc and they actually get smashed up (something i haven't seen in ANY GTA game before). Or go into a clothing shop and destroy all the clothing racks, smash glass displays in other shops etc.
- As mentioned, Vic can swim (surface only). BUT - he has a stamina bar which when fully depleted results in drowning. It depletes faster if you are swimming faster. Still, at least you don't drown straight away!
- The soundtrack is seriously awesome - Phil Colllins himself voices on a promo for Flash FM saying something like "Hi, this is Phil Collins and i always listen to the best radio station in Vice City, Flash FM" << Something along those lines.

Favourite songs so far include: Gloria - Laura Branigan, Easy Lover - Phil Collins, Love Is A Battlefield - Pat Benatar, I'm Not In Love - 10CC, Harden My Heart - Quarterflash, I Want To Know What Love Is - Foreigner, Never Never - The Assembly, We Belong - Pat Benatar, In The Air Tonight - Phil Collins, Avalon - Roxy Music, I Can Dream About You - Dan Hartman, Nightshift - The Commodores (in the credits, but haven't listened to the station it is on yet), Heart Of Glass - Blondie (also haven't heard in game yet) and more.

- The game manual once again is in the form of a newspaper rather than a manual, which i love. :D
- Love the design of the planes at the airport, the front looks like a Boeing 747-400 and the back looks really awesome with the three engines right at the back and the horzontal wing thingy at the top of the main tail bit (pictures would help greatly here :D). Best looking in-game planes ever in a GTA game in my opinion.
- Love how you can buy back your weapons from the hospital if you end up there.

And there are heaps more awesome things in the game. Quite a few, i've found, have never been in a GTA game before, or have but in a different form. The pager from the original GTA games also makes a welcome return. :)

So far i've done about five or so missions and have my first house. Completed all the shooting range levels over at Phil Cassidy's after about four or five tries and popped a few of the 99 red balloons - no doubt a reference to the song.

Also seen a few disguised company names in the game. In the manual they have an ad for a computer and it is made by a company called Fruit (a.k.a. Apple). And i suspect Me TV is a play of MTV. There may be others, but haven't spotted/worked them out yet.

But yeah, so far i really love it and i'm really glad that i didn't bother to research/find out anything about the game before i bought it as all the discoveries i'm making wouldn't be as surprising. Serously considering turning a blind eye to all GTA IV information and just buy the game when it comes out, GT5 similarly. :cool:

It took me a while to figure out what the hell was going on with the "hidden packages" (called something else in the game). I was thinking "how the hell do I get that thing all the way over there?" until the obvious answer occured to me.

KM.

Yeah i didn't know what they were at first. Came apon one under a billboard and thought perhaps that it had gotten stuck there and tha the game does have animate balloons which float around the place. Later on when i discovered another one i shot it...

The nature of the hidden packages makes it easier however to guess where they might be hiding. You can spot areas where they might be and where it's worth poking around looking around for them instead of in previous games where they could be anywhere.

KM.

I have yet to find a single one yet-- are they hiding in plain sight?? (no details please-- I don't want to know any spoilers)

I've found and completed 9 jumps already (carried over the fix from LCS so you can figure out if you've done a jump before)-- found about 8-10 rampages but only tried 2-- one kicked my butt-- the other I only barely passed-- too many gang members are spawning-- the ones I did weren't good rampage weapons katana (I think it has a different name this go) and pistol-- neither is easy when you have 20 gang members around you-- should make the heavy weapon rampages easy though.

I've done 9-10 missions so far.

I did experience the no cars/peds glitch after checking out the vcn building-- stayed that way til I entered a side mission.

Another glitch in rounding on the US version-- jumps-- height and distance rounding down to xxx.00

the bike handling/physics seem pretty close to VC-- I tried the jump to get up on the downtown hospital but haven't made it yet-- I didn't get to try it very much yet-- I tried some other stunts I'd done in VC and the bike seemed to do similar things.

clothes pickups inside safe houses so far-- meaning no bike morph & therefore likely no superjumps :(

I do like the airport/fort baxter access-- was such a pain in VC.

I did find a map on a wall in the game and it shows the old VC map west island-- without the shortcuts.

I also like the airline name at the airport... Plummet Airlines ;)

I did notice its harder to get away from cops (escape) when on foot and entering a car-- there seems to be a slight lag from the time you jump on a bike til you drive away and its plenty long enough for them to bust you-- they must want me to kill cops in this game/

I do like they gave you the option to buy back your weapons after getting busted/dying... will save me alot of saving/reloads and I did see on one mission they brought back the trip skip from SA if you fail and repeat a mission... I don't recall if they had it in LCS...

Sorry your guy's cost is so high... LCS was $29.99 when it came out... and suprisingly I was at Sears yesterday getting my kid's portraits done, and found LCS for PS2, behind glass with a $39.99 price tag on it-- couldn't believe it-- You can buy the GTA trilogy-- SA, VC & III for that price at another store (Meijers).

I have yet to find a single one yet-- are they hiding in plain sight?? (no details please-- I don't want to know any spoilers)
Yeah most are in plain view, - but unlike previous they don't have a "halo" around them to draw attention.

I found some jumps and noticed that you now get a "multiplier" for height as well, - so it should be possible to do quadruples.
Had a funny moment when I managed to set a bike alight right on a ramp, bailed and watched the fireball fly off towards Downtown (the bike goes way farther without rider)

The rampages I've found so far has been fairly easy, - the icons don't go away (just changes color) when you complete them. So you can do them over and over.

Paramedic is incredible easy and it's quite boring to do 15 levels of that.
I like the changes to taxi though, even if you get the odd "mission impossible" and fares that suddenly is nowhere to be found.

I did experience the no cars/peds glitch after checking out the vcn building-- stayed that way til I entered a side mission.
Yeah, that is quite spooky.

Another new (?) thing is the ability to break peoples necks (and it keeps a record of necks broken in the stats screen :eek:). It goes along with the other new ability, to grab a hold of someone.

Grab them from the back and press triangle to break the neck, circle to repeatedly punch and i think x does something too.

Grab them from the front and triangle throws them out in front of you (into traffic/over a wall?) circle punches etc and x does more kicky things i think.

the bike handling/physics seem pretty close to VC--
I've tried out a few wheelies and stoppies and it seems to be pretty much the same in those respects, but haven't done much stunting yet.

Car handling so far seems a lot crazier though - a lot of oversteering and sliding about all over the place. Although I've not really tried a lot of the cars yet. I hope there's a few well handling faster cars like the Comet and Cheetah from Vice City. I've seen what look like Comets and Cheetahs but haven't tried them yet (having too much fun on bikes!).

Sorry your guy's cost is so high...
Games are usually more expensive here anyway - a $49.99 game might be €54.99 here which is about $70. That kinda sucks.

It's the same with the games consoles. A $400 Xbox360 is €400 over here which works out at over a hundred dollars more.

KM.

Had a funny moment when I managed to set a bike alight right on a ramp, bailed and watched the fireball fly off towards Downtown (the bike goes way farther without rider)
Update: That is in fact a new feature :dopey: see attacment (no spoilers)

Attachments

• DR1  S     fr 3_10_2007 11_56_57 PM.jpg
    DR1 S fr 3_10_2007 11_56_57 PM.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 45
Back