Genesis Teases New Supercar Concept for Gran Turismo 7

• Thread starter Famine
  • 124 comments
Not all VGTs are awful, as pointed out, the Bugatti VGT, Audi VGT and the VW GTI Roadster were fully built and are basically one-off concept cars. At least they exist and can't be called fanfics at all.

The problem however starts with those brands, that literally just design cars for their dreams, and nothing more than that. Cars that quite clearly will never, ever go past the stage of just designs on a board, not even as concept cars.
And the big problem is that most of the VGTs are basically exactly that and the game gets cluttered with them, and PD waste time with them

Just look at all the Peugeots. Yeah, quite believable that a brand like Peugeot that never made a single supercar, would now start making crazy stuff like the L500R or the VGT (a car with about 800hp and very high performance, basically a hypercar).

All 3 of the Tomahawks... Even the Street (Tomahawk S) model is just not going to happen, and if it does, it will never be with the specs it shows in the game (NA V10, 1020hp, 900kg and ridiculously low-drag but somewhat decent downforce in corners and hybrid power that makes the car reach almost 500kph). This is also the same brand that put the Viper out of production... Yeah, get real.

All of the Jaguars. All of the Alpines... and speaking of these (and a few others which also includes the Tomahawks), there's also a problem that most of these are almost duplicates of each other with just different spec sheets, and to add even more insult to injury, we get some of these cars designed to compete in Gr.1 or other categories... Why?????

Even the Daihatsu VGT that looks like a kei-car racer, do any of you seriously believe that car is ever going to be built even as a concept? Hell no... Who is even interested in a car like that? Or the Mitsubishi VGT, this is another brand that's reaching with this design and yet gave up on the Evo.

I have absolutely no interest on driving cars that have no real life testing, that have no history in racing or in the roads. Concept cars is already pushing it, but cars that weren't even past being miniature models? That's just reaching for the stars.

I didn't mind the idea of the Red Bull X project because that was supposed to be just a car with actual current-age tech to give us an idea of how fast "we" could drive a car with no regulations holding it back. And it even had an actual aerodynamicist genius like Newey behind. That was "one" car.
This VGT program is involving already dozens, and most of them aren't even GTs as the program itself calls them. The Tomahawk X can in no way be compared to the Red Bull X. The Red Bull X car could actually exist with the specs it had and perform at those levels (just not with a human on a wheel), the Tomahawk X? No... Not really.

As Keep put it... There's THOUSANDS of past and current road legal models and race cars to choose from that the vast majority of people would like to see and drive in the game. Those are the ones that should get priority.
Just within Japan alone they have a plethora of significant models that could be in the game, road and race cars. Just from Japan alone.

Instead of adding this pointless fanfic Porsche that has no roof, why not actually focus on a similar style car that actually exists (and there's more than one of) like the SLR Sterling Moss for example or the Ferrari Monza SP2?

EDIT: As for this new Genesis VGT... Just another slot of the already pathetic 3 car figure per month that's going to get wasted...
Imagine if this also comes alongside the Porsche VGT Spyder on 29th lol

I remember the gold days when GT represent the real concepts from the brands

Well the MTRC was a strange situation from Toyota but with a real implementations

and literally the first VGT and no body cares because it is one of a kind, but today almost 50 cars are annoying VGT's and more to come...

I had to a double take on a few of those cars.... I thought you had done a slight photoshop job and made the front ends look like subtle faces, bit like in Disney Cars...

Imagine if this also comes alongside the Porsche VGT Spyder on 29th lol
Gosh, imagine the reaction on here. Particularly if it's coupled with a few extra lamp posts on an existing circuit being counted as the new track...

What happened when the GT series actually put real concept cars and prototypes.

Even cars that were what if rather than these spaceships.

Now imagine if they put a Ferrari 599 GTB but turned into a fictional GT1 car just like the FTO LM.

Now we have all these spaceships.

Last edited:
B80
Gosh, imagine the reaction on here. Particularly if it's coupled with a few extra lamp posts on an existing circuit being counted as the new track...
I'm just going to laugh if that happens, I honestly already gave up on PD lol

There are some vgt cars which I like. Like the lexus and the bmw.

The Aston martin one is actually not bad it reminds of the 80s or the 70s with radical designs from bertone and zagato.

The chapparal 🤢

My my, look at what we have here. Another glorious Vision GT car coming this month. Christmas is coming early for Vision GT enthusiasts.

Now we just need another Vision GT car to fill in the third slot below for this fantastic month of September. :lol::lol::lol:

I am hoping the third slot will be a Ferrari Vision GT.

View attachment 1194877
The third slot could potentially be the Italdesign VGT as it was seen on the datamine. And mind you, that has at least two versions listed, one being the original and a potential offroad version.

Hol' up. Peugeot might never have made a supercar, but it's sure put out a whole bunch of supercar concepts from long before GT was a thing. You can go see them in the Musee de L'Aventure Peugeot in Sochaux.

Here's the 2012 Onyx:
View attachment 1194865

220mph-capable, using the 908 HDI FAP hybrid V8 for around 700hp. Also fully functional and I recall it did a run up the Goodwood Hill.

Here's the 2004 907:

View attachment 1194866

Six-litre V12 - made from two regular Peugeot 3-litre V6s - good for 500hp and 190mph.

How about the 1988 Oxia?

View attachment 1194867

Carbon-fibre/kevlar body, mid-mounted, 600hp 2.9 V6.

My personal favourite, the 1984 Quasar:

View attachment 1194868

Mid-mounted 205 T16 Group B engine turned up to 600hp, and permanent 4WD (60:40 like the T16).

In fact Peugeot is a particularly bad example because the exact car you reference, the L500R, was just a regular show concept revealed in 2016 - more than a year ahead of Gran Turismo Sport - which paid homage to the Peugeot L45 that won the 1916 Indianapolis 500. It wasn't a Vision GT car until, over a year later, they put a Vision GT branding on it:

View attachment 1194871

So pretty much entirely believable, really. Especially given the 9X8 is a thing that exists now...
View attachment 1194872
The French are basically capable in building a supercar or a hypercar that can take it to German, British or the Italians.

Really a shame none of these made production because the Peugeot Oxia was known to be way ahead of its time.

This is why I hope PD put these cars one day because racing games are the only way we can race them.

Peugeot Onyx was a blast to drive in Driveclub.

How do we keep having these discussions and people still don't get why others are against them?

Here, I'll simplify it:

- No matter how much work the manufacturer does, PD (or outsourced company) still have to do the final in-game modelling work. They can't just use the CAD models.. They have to do the audio, they have to do any animations, etc etc. They take time and effort. That is time and effort by one or more people that can't also be working on a real car. Even with the licensing challenge you can't honestly believe at any one time there isn't a huge queue of licensed cars waiting to be modelled. Of course there is. They wouldn't be sat doing nothing without a VGT slid across the desk.

- People want real cars. Do you forget why Gran Turismo became so successful in the first place? One of the big reasons, and why it was so positively received, is it came out at a time where almost all other games featured only fictional cars, very few real cars, or both. Gran Turismo gave players a game where they could drive cars that they own, cars that they see on the road, and cars that they see in magazines and desire. Most people are always going to want to drive real cars over concept cars, no matter how "real" they are.

- The number of concept cars/VGT in GTS and now GT7 are FAR beyond anything in the past, so you can't just use the "GT always had concepts" argument as if it is the same. It was never in these numbers.

GT1: 2/140 (1.4%)
GT2: 6/650 (0.9%)
GT3: 2/181 (1.1%)
GT4: 23/721 (3.1%)
GT5: 42/1074 (3.9%)
GT6: 34/1247 (2.5%)
GTS: 54/338 (15.9%)
GT7: 47/429 (10.9%) [+fictional race cars = 130/429 (30%)]

I may have missed a couple without 'concept' in the name but certainly not enough to make a huge difference. From <4% to 10-15%. It's a huge jump, and showing no signs of decreasing massively when they keep adding them.

Yes, they had a concept only spin off and guess what? It sold in fractional numbers compared to the main entries. Most people didn't care.
We'll just ignore that the Bugatti VGT is a precursor to the Chiron, McLaren VGT clearly influencing the Sabre and/or Solus then... VGT is soo useless...
You can't be that naive to think those cars came about solely because of the VGT program? The concepts already existed internally, they just saw a marketing opportunity with the VGT program to put them out, get free feedback and attention. McLaren already admitted the VGT drawings came far before it was a thing.

To think that the Chiron wouldn't exist without Gran Turismo is bonkers. Of course it would.

Last edited:
You can't be that naive to think those cars came about solely because of the VGT program? The concepts already existed internally, they just saw a marketing opportunity with the VGT program to put them out, get free feedback and attention. McLaren already admitted the VGT drawings came far before it was a thing.

To think that the Chiron wouldn't exist without Gran Turismo is bonkers. Of course it would.
Did I say that? No i didn’t, try again.

You can’t be that naive to ignore the influence it’s had on the cars being released

Last edited:
There are some vgt cars which I like. Like the lexus and the bmw.

The Aston martin one is actually not bad it reminds of the 80s or the 70s with radical designs from bertone and zagato.

The chapparal 🤢
That BMW VGT is the most boring mobile i have ever seen,they just slapped a bodykit and called it a day

Did I say that? No i didn’t, try again.

You can’t be that naive to ignore the influence it’s had on the cars being released
What influence? So you do think the VGT program influenced any real life cars to exist that wouldn't have otherwise? Because I certainly don't. These companies are always designing new concepts and turning some of them into real cars, the fact some of them have appeared in Gran Turismo isn't going to affect that. Bugatti were always going to be planning to make the Chiron when they put the VGT together.

Please limit your statements to yourself or to yourself and parties you know agree with you, rather than assuming you speak for everyone.

You may not care, and many people may not care, but some people do - and it very much varies by what the car is. I don't particularly care about the Ford GT90 Concept, but lots of people remember it incredibly fondly from GT2. My (current main) car has only ever been in the GT series as a concept (in GT PSP, GT4, GT5, and GT6) almost identical to the production model and I might be one of few people that care while lots of people don't.

Edit: Heh, it's never not fun to see the people who think everyone should agree with their opinion and therefore everyone does reacting badly to being told that's not how anything works.
His statement, however inelegant, is legit. We don’t know anything about the contracts they have to sign to bring cars to the game new or old. We know PD is trying to build itself into an esports brand, looking for sponsor money. As they should. We “accepted” the months of no real updates during the final third of the life of GTS, projecting we’d get a game with more money, cars and tracks With the new iteration. Now that the iteration is here, it’s hasn’t moved much towards more money. There are different cars that we took ownership of in an entertaining way, but we need to grind even harder to afford the ones that didn’t come to us via the Cafe. Tracks? Dont get me started. If they’re looking to create contracts with sponsors that propel PD into a brand, give players more cars tracks and money, they either misused the time they had to execute the plan, or the plan wasnt that good in the first place.

His statement, however inelegant, is legit.
No, it's not. He stated that "nobody cares about fictional VGTS and Concepts". That's a broad, sweeping statement on behalf of everyone on the planet.

You get to speak for yourself. Sometimes you get to speak for yourself and others who have expressed a sentiment of agreement. At no point do you get to speak for everyone.

He may not care about fictional VGTs and concepts, but that doesn't mean nobody does; other people may, and it may depend entirely on what the car is. The rest of my post already explained that, with examples, quite comprehensively.

It's truly weird that people think that they can or should hide behind a supposed unanimous agreement on a matter of personal preference. Say what you like, or don't like; don't pretend everyone likes a thing just because you do.

Last edited:
So you do think the VGT program influenced any real life cars to exist that wouldn't have otherwise?
Well, according to some manufacturers, yes, they did. Aston said the DP-100 VGT inspired what would later become the Valkyrie, Bugatti used its VGT to later develop the Chiron, McLaren just released the Souls GT which was based on the VGT, you could, if you wanted, trace the no wing setup of the Peugeot 9x8 to their VGT model, etc...
So, like a good chunk of non VGT prototypes car manufacturers make all the time, VGT prototypes did influence irl cars, yes.

Well, according to some manufacturers, yes, they did. Aston said the DP-100 VGT inspired what would later become the Valkyrie, Bugatti used its VGT to later develop the Chiron, McLaren just released the Souls GT which was based on the VGT, you could, if you wanted, trace the no wing setup of the Peugeot 9x8 to their VGT model, etc...
So, like a good chunk of non VGT prototypes car manufacturers make all the time, VGT prototypes did influence irl cars, yes.
You have 70s designs influencing todays cars.

I doubt VGt had anything to do with it.

Look at car design as many car manufacturers have designs that are 10 years old to 20 years old.

All about going back to the drawing board.

Well, I'm not denying past cars do influence the design of some modern day cars, but I also take a manufacturer word over a random person on the internet if said manifacturer says a prototype influenced their car.

Example:

So, yeah, VGTs do influence final cars just like most prototypes manufacturers make, really, it's nothing new.

Yes but the point I'm making is that all of those cars would have still existed without the VGT program. No matter what promo videos try to suggest, they weren't designing cars solely for VGT that otherwise wouldn't have been drawn.

McLaren already said the drawings of the VGT existed long before VGTs existed. Sony asked them for something and gave them that.

Yes but the point I'm making is that all of those cars would have still existed without the VGT program. No matter what promo videos try to suggest, they weren't designing cars solely for VGT that otherwise wouldn't have been drawn.

McLaren already said the drawings of the VGT existed long before VGTs existed. Sony asked them for something and gave them that.

Yes 'inspired' can be applied fairly liberally can;t it. I struggle to believe these firms brought these cars (multi million pound projects) to real life thanks to GT playing a significant part. Just seems totally nonsensical.

Played a part, sure. It's like me claiming I 'inspired' Bournemouth to promotion to the Premier League last season by turning up at matches and cheering/singing etc.

Last edited:
B80
Yes 'inspired' can be applied fairly liberally can;t it. I struggle to believe these firms brought these cars (multi million pound projects) to real life thanks to GT playing a significant part. Just seems totally nonsensical.

Played a part, sure. It's like me claiming I 'inspired' Bournemouth to promotion to the Premier League last season by turning up at matches and cheering/singing etc.
I honestly find it surprising how naive people can be, that they think Bugatti (well, VW) just made the VGT for no other reason than the game, and then someone had a lightbulb moment and thought "Hey, you know that car we designed exclusively for a video game, what if we took that design and made it the replacement for the Veyron?"

No, in reality the design for it was first done in 2012.

“When we created the car, we only showed it to one guy: Piëch,” says Achim Anscheidt, Bugatti’s head of design. That was in May, 2012, when the plan called for following the Veyron with a five-door sedan called the Galibier. Anscheidt created a prototype of the Chiron, just in case. Piëch, he says, walked around the concept, done up in Atlantic blue and polished aluminum. He liked the rear and loved the profile, but dismissed the front as resembling an angry cat. He gave the designers six months to get it right.

Six months is nothing in the development of a new car. But Anscheidt's team pulled it off. Piëch loved the design. And then he insisted it be 25 percent more powerful than its predecessor. The engineers, who had all but broken the laws of physics building the Veyron, were, Anscheidt says, "on the floor."
So then when Sony came calling in 2015 they clearly saw a chance to preview the Chiron, slapped some bodywork on it, called it the VGT, and hey presto. Yet again, the VGT actually came second, not first.

If people like the VGTs then that is of course their opinion, but the idea that it's some hugely influential project affecting the real world in any way is completely false.

Last edited:
People dont realise the drawings and designs that go into cars.

Many dont even make the cut LOL

Everyday they think of new designs. People are naive to think VGT has any influence.

Its great to see racing game developers working with car manufacturers but its naive to believe they are influencing design thats not the case.

Everyday they think of new designs. People are naive to think VGT has any influence.

Its great to see racing game developers working with car manufacturers but its naive to believe they are influencing design thats not the case.
Indeed. Obviously the fancy promo videos aren't going to paint it that way, they're going to make it seem like they're crafting new ideas specially for Gran Turismo. But in reality, the manufactuers/designers have got countless ideas on the shelf already that they have used.

The only exception is those cars where the real designers were far too busy and the manufacturers weren't interested too much, so they got some interns/juniors to design something for fun. Even those were still probably based on some sort of existing idea though.

You'd have to pay the designers a LOT of money to get them to design something truly new.

Concept cars go way back in the auto business.

Joe Bortz has one of the best collections of them:

Genesis makes good looking cars, and this car from what has been teased so far looks pretty good. Can't wait to see it, I just hope it has a more interesting drivetrain than 1000hp electric car like the usual hypercar concept today seems to be.

Last edited:
That’s an EV sports car’s only trick. If we got an F150 Lightning, it could out accelerate many sports cars and power a house, but doubt we’ll see it in this game. ;)

How do we keep having these discussions and people still don't get why others are against them?

Here, I'll simplify it:

- No matter how much work the manufacturer does, PD (or outsourced company) still have to do the final in-game modelling work. They can't just use the CAD models.. They have to do the audio, they have to do any animations, etc etc. They take time and effort. That is time and effort by one or more people that can't also be working on a real car. Even with the licensing challenge you can't honestly believe at any one time there isn't a huge queue of licensed cars waiting to be modelled. Of course there is. They wouldn't be sat doing nothing with a VGT slid across the desk.

- People want real cars. Do you forget why Gran Turismo became so successful in the first place? One of the big reasons, and why it was so positively received, is it came out at a time where almost all other games featured only fictional cars, very few real cars, or both. Gran Turismo gave players a game where they could drive cars that they own, cars that they see on the road, and cars that they see in magazines and desire. Most people are always going to want to drive real cars over concept cars, no matter how "real" they are.

- The number of concept cars/VGT in GTS and now GT7 are FAR beyond anything in the past, so you can't just use the "GT always had concepts" argument as if it is the same. It was never in these numbers.

I may have missed a couple without 'concept' in the name but certainly not enough to make a huge difference. From <4% to 10-15%. It's a huge jump, and showing no signs of decreasing massively when they keep adding them.

Yes, they had a concept only spin off and guess what? It sold in fractional numbers compared to the main entries. Most people didn't care.

Do you forgot why Gran Turismo

its about that the cars that come to the game trough VGT have influence, and that these cars are exclusive to the GT series. You don’t have to overestimate it, but there’s also no reason to underestimate it.

Here, I'll simplify it:

- No matter how much work the manufacturer does, PD (or outsourced company) still have to do the final in-game modelling work. They can't just use the CAD models.. They have to do the audio, they have to do any animations, etc etc. They take time and effort. That is time and effort by one or more people that can't also be working on a real car. Even with the licensing challenge you can't honestly believe at any one time there isn't a huge queue of licensed cars waiting to be modelled. Of course there is. They wouldn't be sat doing nothing without a VGT slid across the desk.

Why do you only mention fictional racecars when talking about GT7? Every GT game has had fictional racecars, just sounds like you're contriving numbers to make your wacky statistics look more valid. We don't even know what you count as a concept car or not, could be anything for what we know.

Hell, including fictional racecars allows you to contrive so many stats actually depending on what exactly you can consider a fictional racecar. All this silly text wall shows me is that none of this actually matters if I can just say that a certain amount of cars in a game are what I say they are conveniently for my point.

There's no point in complaining about this anymore when there's still a grand majority of regular cars available anyways, VGT cars won't magically stop PD from adding the one car I keep complaining about on twitter or reddit or on this website. VGT cars don't come out all the time and there's no guarantee that the resources used on them would've gone to something you feel like you'd like instead. The issues with the game are plentiful but I genuinely believe that complaining about basic cars is always such a waste of time when tastes in cars are so all over the place for so many people. This obsession with people on this website about somehow proving that VGT cars are bad in the most contrived ways and not just admitting that they just don't like them as much as other cars always mystifies me because they act like nobody else can like these cars for whatever reason. This belief that only I an individual know what players like is always so foolish.

Last edited:
Why do you only mention fictional racecars when talking about GT7? Every GT game has had fictional racecars, just sounds like you're contriving numbers to make your wacky statistics look more valid. We don't even know what you count as a concept car or not, could be anything for what we know.

Hell, including fictional racecars allows you to contrive so many stats actually depending on what exactly you can consider a fictional racecar. All this silly text wall shows me is that none of this actually matters if I can just say that a certain amount of cars in a game are what I say they are conveniently for my point.

There's no point in complaining about this anymore when there's still a grand majority of regular cars available anyways, VGT cars won't magically stop PD from adding the one car I keep complaining about on twitter or reddit or on this website. VGT cars don't come out all the time and there's no guarantee that the resources used on them would've gone to something you feel like you'd like instead. The issues with the game are plentiful but I genuinely believe that complaining about basic cars is always such a waste of time when tastes in cars are so all over the place for so many people. This obsession with people on this website about somehow proving that VGT cars are bad in the most contrived ways and not just admitting that they just don't like them as much as other cars always mystifies me because they act like nobody else can like these cars for whatever reason. This belief that only I an individual know what players like is always so foolish.
Thanks, couldn’t have said it better👌

I write all that and you focus on on little bit in brackets? Fine, forget the fictional race cars, it still has 11% VGT and concepts, a big increase over older games. There is nothing "wacky" about those numbers.

How did I count them? Very simple, I did Ctrl+F for the word concept and vision/VGT on the car lists. It's pretty accurate, but feel free to do it yourself if you believe it's wrong. Or are you another person who just claims someone's numbers are wrong without actually doing any work to check yourself?

Resources/people are finite. If they're working on a VGT that's one less real car they're working on, it's pretty obvious. It doesn't matter what real car, anything would be better to many people even if it was something they didn't personally desire.

There is nothing contrived about it, I explained quite clearly why many people don't like them, I never claimed everyone dislikes them or that you aren't allowed to.

Oh and yes, they DO keep coming, some 9 years after what was supposed to be a year long project in one game.

As I said in the first post, I really don't get what is so hard to understand why a lot of people don't like them. You don't have to agree, but you should be able to understand.

Do you forgot why Gran Turismo
What?
its about that the cars that come to the game trough VGT have influence, and that these cars are exclusive to the GT series. You don’t have to overestimate it, but there’s also no reason to underestimate it.
Again, I've already shown that VGT cars are not influencing real cars. The VGTs almost always came after the car they're supposedly influencing.

Last edited:

Comparing FTO LMs is to VGT is like comparing apples and oranges.

Fto lm is a what if car using at least some real data same with many LM cars which have become fan favourites.

Real cars except they have a fictional racecar counterpart.

Fto did actually race in JGTC so its not far off.

Back