Get Ready for the Daytona 24 Hours in This Week's Project CARS 2 Community Event

Probably give this a go. Been on a little bit of a Daytona kick this past week and I just started playing Project Cars 2 for real after I fell off it at release.

Kinda just doing the career stuff. Using the Porsche 935/80 in the Group 5 events and I've sort've been setting the fastest lap times (in this car) on the courses I've checked so far? Think I even broke into the 10th spot overall record for Snetterton while the whole board is F50 GT1s lol

So maybe I'm not too shabby at this. It's kinda dumb that it doesn't count lap times from career mode toward the boards. I guess because of the potential for drafting or track conditions etc. Means I have to exit, go into time trial, and set my time again.

Sitting at #5 on the list. I'm pretty sure I could go faster if I continued to tweak my setup. I don't seem to have the corner exit speed the others have.

I'm really happy with how my setup stands though. I've been spending a stupid amount of hours in the Rift trying to learn how to tune the last few days. Normally I can't be bothered to do setups in racing games but I guess I'm in some kind of stubborn mood. Currently in the Group 5 series in Career and I'm literally spending hours on each track now fighting with myself on the setups. Maybe it's like the worst car to try and learn? Feel like I'm not necessarily learning much. I have an okay understanding about how stuff works (damping and diffs are my weakest spots), but it doesn't feel like what I do translates onto the car. It's also really annoying how every racing games decides to call their damper settings different things than every other game. Like I said, maybe it's this car.. its just so old, loose, floaty and a boosted beast :lol:

So come back around to the Daytona event setup, I messed with it, felt like I wasn't entirely making it better, then I noticed you could use a setup from the top times, so I tried one and wow was it not my style. But it did exhibit crazy oversteer behavior, so I was able to look at that compared to mine and shift a few things on my own setup which made it better. Super neutral and stable now, just the way I like it.

Then I spent more hours on the 935 and I haven't reached that "ah HAH" moment yet so it's frustrating to say the least. I need to try someone elses setup to see if a good one is even possible. Ooo or I just remembered people make those simple setup cheat sheets.

There I go rambling on about irrelevant stuff again :indiff:

Tried to do this event last night, but the game just crashed every time at 25% loaded. Everything else in the game was working fine, just wouldn't load the community event.

I'll confess, I used to dislike Daytona with a passion but having seen some of my league guys (RevolutionSimRacing :shamelessplug: ) doing well in the iRacing 24-hour event at the weekend, I thought I'd give it a shot. Well, blow me down with a feather if this combo isn't absolutely sublime :cheers: . As for 1m45 laps, that's not even top 30 now and I don't think it'll be long before we see the 1m41 laps appear.

Honestly, if you haven't given this event a go, give it a try. It's one of those "OK, now I 'get' Daytona" combos :)

Thanks that I could use your setup @Cluck . I tried to follow your ghost car and after two corners you were already 1 second away :crazy::lol:. You beat the 1:42 barrier :cheers:👍

So I used your setup and a slower ghost car. I'm happy with my P16 (for as long as it lasts)

Thanks that I could use your setup @Cluck . I tried to follow your ghost car and after two corners you were already 1 second away :crazy::lol:. You beat the 1:42 barrier :cheers:👍

So I used your setup and a slower ghost car. I'm happy with my P16 (for as long as it lasts)
Heh, glad the setup worked for you. Be warned, though, I am not a setup person, I tweak stuff at random and see if I like it. It's why I don't care about my setups being uploaded, I honestly can't believe anybody would want to use them!

My lap still isn't ideal, there's another tenth to come out of it I could remain composed throughout the lap but, yeah, I achieved my own personal goal so I'm not fussed if the time gets beaten - in fact, I would be very much surprised if my time is the #1 time by the end (there are lots of people far more talented at car setups and driving than myself). Given the cold conditions (January and night-time), anything under 1m44 is damn good going IMHO :)

EDIT : Three areas seem to make or break a lap at Daytona, from the laps I've done for this challenge:

1. Braking into T1
2. Accelerating back onto the oval from T6
3. The exit of the bus-stop T10/T11

There's time to be made or lost everywhere else of course, but nothing has as much of an effect on your lap as those 3.

Last edited:
I don't mind sharing this now, as I said, I've achieved what I set out to achieve, so if it helps people to go faster than that's cool

Lap was set with real assists. Traction control wasn't standard but not far off it :), The setup was simply something I cobbled together by driving laps, seeing what changes did what and if I could go faster with them.

I probably already mentioned it earlier but I tried @Cluck setup back when I attempted this and boy does your car track in. Was way weird for me to drive. Didn't like it. But I used it as reference to adjust my own.

Congrats on the time. Not sure how you did it. I haven't gone back and tried to set a better time.

It goes to show how different everybody's driving style is (just as it is in real life) :) . I won't lie, I struggled with the setup for the first couple of laps but once I managed to accommodate the way the car was behaving, my time's dropped.

The lap recorded was the 3rd lap of the session. The outlap is a waste of time, you don't carry enough speed across the S/F line to set a competitive time (I typically found that I was half a second down). Of course, you then have to counter that with the tyres and brakes cooling down during the first lap and that's what the setup is for, it's not for a quick 1st lap, it's for the laps that follow :)

(edit, cos seemed to have lost my opening sentence)
Really impressive times, guys!! Congratulations to the winner, very beautiful lap. Myself, after lots and lots of trying (30+ laps), I have a mid 1.42 (potential time) in me, but just couldn't string a lap together. This is such a great combination, one that really highlighted some problems, both with the game (setup bug) and mostly with me :)

First off, I have to show a little frustration at the setup bug - the amount of times I went in only to have the wrong setup loaded was far too many. I did cause me to doubt if the car was handling correctly, or if I was driving badly - sure SMS will patch, so until then, suspend my belief for a bit. I did also find that I had to quit out of the game completely and reenter sometimes - as if the track conditions hadn't loaded. By this I mean, I would do a lap, go to the setup screen, adjust and then drive again, only to find that I was 1-2 seconds slower over the lap!! Quit out of the game entirely, start event, load the revised setup from scratch and then nice times once again - these two issues do cause me problems when baselining improvements over a lap.

Anyway, that aside, assuming conditions and setup loaded, I just could NOT get that bus stop right. I was losing about 0.7 there alone. And then the first corner, braking, oh god. Some laps, perfect, others, lockup nightmare. My old G27 pedals might not be the best anymore, or for that matter my feet, haha. Nearly makes me want to buy a set of Clubsport pedals, although, i have no idea if that would make any difference.

Can't wait until the next event :)

Last edited:
Back