gfx analysis of e3 demo

• Thread starter mrPetros
  • 100 comments
mrPetros
NX gamer just posted his analysis of GT Sport version @E3

The link below starts right at fps measures, but its worthwhile watching it from the start

my opinion
lots of work to be done, considering that game still misses needed visual clues like skidmarks, also damage, also we expect(?) improvements in both AI and sound,
and of course on top of the above, both rain and night will be even more taxing to the game engine, that right now cant produce a locked, vsync'd 60 even in the not so taxing conditions.

There is still a ton of work to do. Forza 6 runs a solid 60 fps in all conditions as far as I know but PD is still struggling to get over an average of 50fps without damage, dynamic track conditions, weather, time of day, more/better AA and more.

I thought I saw tearing in the video from the GT website.

I'd still prefer that to dropping to 30, so no v-sync for me.

But what we all want is a surplus of frames so it can cap out at 60.

NX gamer as usual providing great feedback, AF needs a lot of work, looks terrible from the youtube videos. The game's framerate at it's current state is not too bad but if you're going to do VR then you need the locked 60.

Happy that they have the higher LODS during replays most of the time, PCARS LOD transition is so bad it breaks the immersion.

Wonder if @Jordan played a more stable build.

5 months to get locked 60fps and no tearing.

I was going to say it's either that or a post release patch update, but I think the boon for all will be that any game that is VR compatible will actually be locked 60fps and perfect on release. No need for updates to fix issues. Dropped frames were tolerated previously, but Sony won't allow that for VR, as it will actually make people ill and would be a marketing nightmare.

There is still a ton of work to do. Forza 6 runs a solid 60 fps in all conditions as far as I know but PD is still struggling to get over an average of 50fps without damage, dynamic track conditions, weather, time of day, more/better AA and more.

Gfx and performance will improve from current E3 build. But even in the current state gfx is better than anything I have seen in other sims.

Gfx and performance will improve from current E3 build. But even in the current state gfx is better than anything I have seen in other sims.
It's not better than Forza because Forza runs a locked 60 fps which is required for VR. In other words, Forza is VR compatible and GT is not in terms of frame rate. That's the new standard. Graphics are no longer just who has the prettiest game, it's now, who has the prettiest game that runs at a locked 60 fps so I don't heave up my lunch on my dog while I'm playing a game?. As I said earlier, they have a long way to go to get from barely averaging 50 fps under somewhat ideal conditions to averaging a rock solid 60 fps after adding damage, dynamic track conditions, weather, time of day, more/better AA and more.

It's not better than Forza because Forza runs a locked 60 fps which is required for VR. In other words, Forza is VR compatible and GT is not in terms of frame rate. That's the new standard. Graphics are no longer just who has the prettiest game, it's now, who has the prettiest game that runs at a locked 60 fps so I don't heave up my lunch on my dog while I'm playing a game?. As I said earlier, they have a long way to go to get from barely averaging 50 fps under somewhat ideal conditions to averaging a rock solid 60 fps after adding damage, dynamic track conditions, weather, time of day, more/better AA and more.

Or, in VR mode GT Sport will run with less detail/post-processing/anti-aliasing, like Driveclub's PlayStation VR demo was said to have done. Even if Polyphony manages to get GT Sport to run at 60 FPS consistently sans VR, I doubt VR compatibility will be possible without concessions.

Right now, looking at still frames and the snippets of gameplay Sony has provided us under the most favorable conditions, I would say GT Sport is the best looking racing game on console, save for Driveclub for obvious reasons. That's not saying a whole lot of course, but it is encouraging and I'm certainly not invested in VR enough (or at all) to start using it as the benchmark for how a game performs. One day that will happen, but not yet.

NX gamer just posted his analysis of GT Sport version @E3

The link below starts right at fps measures, but its worthwhile watching it from the start

my opinion
lots of work to be done, considering that game still misses needed visual clues like skidmarks, also damage, also we expect(?) improvements in both AI and sound,
and of course on top of the above, both rain and night will be even more taxing to the game engine, that right now cant produce a locked, vsync'd 60 even in the not so taxing conditions.

Its actually mandatory to be locked at 60 cause its a VR title.

Its not even finished. chill

According to SONY, 60fps is a bare minimun for VR display. Any hiccup or drop is not accepted and 90fps (with reprojection until 120fps) is recomended.

PS-VR-Framerate.jpg

According to SONY, 60fps is a bare minimun for VR display. Any hiccup or drop is not accepted and 90fps (with reprojection until 120fps) is recomended.

PS-VR-Framerate.jpg
If you read this and then think about the recent news on GTS (less but more refined stuff) it'll be easy to imagine that PD will top those specs without too many problems.

If you read this and then think about the recent news on GTS (less but more refined stuff) it'll be easy to imagine that PD will top those specs without too many problems.
Really? We have seen GTS struggling to maintain an average of 55 fps without damage or rain and yet you think PDI will top 90fps 'without too many problems'. Not sure I share your confidence.

No they're gonna go for 60fps and the reprojection
But according to Sony achieving 60fps is not really enough. They are telling devs to aim for 90fps. And Marching Saint suggested PDI would hit want Sony suggest 'without too many problems'.

I bet GTS won't support PSVR at launch! :D Yamauchi will say "we'll release an update in the future." but that never happens! :D (or maybe a special section for PSVR, not the whole game)

This is what I was going to say. We already have GT5 and 6 replays looking so good, people think they're watching racing films. We truly are spoiled when Sport gets a level of scrutiny no other game gets with the possible exceptions of DriveClub and Forza. It's still months from release and the graphics are already at a level that demo screens and replays look this real. The two minute section in the above video has some luxurious examples for a game far from finished. I'm not worried about the graphics.

And evidently the physics are coming along too, which I would expect from a Gran Turismo built from the ground up. Playing Project CARS is fun, but it's simply whetting my appetite for Sport. And the dismal music in PCARS doesn't exactly put me in the mood to race. Very strange choices SMS made/allowed there...

Whatever people want or expect from GT Sport, those who buy it should find something in the package that pleases them. I expect to be well pleased, seeing as my two main gripes about Gran Turismo are being addressed: faster, tighter fields, and race grids with properly classed cars. Slather better physics and graphics over the whole thing, and I'm there.

This may not be everyone's best Gran Turismo, but Kaz is moving the series forward in a way that should be exciting and satisfying to many of us fans, and I hope that when GT7 arrives, it has a similar Sport/Pro mode in it as well.

Apart from the big 60fps with Red Cross through it off course. In my experience it's never the best idea to design something to run at the lower limit. Always smart to leave a bit of headroom.
again reprojected into 120fps

I just been wondering about the 120fps thing. The PS4 can't display 120fps through it's HDMI port. But the NEO will as it will have a HDMI 2.0 port. So when Sony talk about native (not re-projected) 120fps rendering in games they could be talking about the NEO benefits of the newer parts.
I wonder if we will be able to have 120fps GTS on a 120hz capable living room TV with the NEO.
If base PS4 can do 60fps, which it certainly will (by Sony law) then the NEO with more than twice the power should possibly be able to give us 120fps rendered natively and pumped through it's HDMI port.
I am also wondering how the PSVR gets it's 120fps from the PS4... it might be because PS4 is only ever sending 60 at 1080p to the processing box (even if it renders more than 60) the reprojected frames contain less information so they can fit in the bandwidth? Someone might know this.

I think Pcars also has better lighting than Forza. Car models are probably not that good but Pcars in cockpit is definitely more immersive than Forza. Anyways you are mixing gfx and performance. These are 2 different things. The game is WIP. People were complaining 3 weeks ago during the reveal by watching videos on youtube and now it is much better. I think the gfx will improve and also performance wise they will get to 60fps target. Personally if the game runs like Pcars and looks even better I do not think it is a bad thing at all

PSVR will be barely 5% of the audience ? moreover PS4.5 or PS4Neo is needed if people want 90fps which I am sure will be easily doable. GTS was not playable with PSVR at E3. Probably the fps drop was the reason. If they take this feature completely off the standard PS4. I do not think it is a loss. May be have an option in menu for PSVR mode on/off. I hope they do something like this. Dynamic TOD is also something they can easily do instead. Most people will prefer that over PSVR support for standard PS4 :banghead:

PzR Slim's got a point here.

And some of you guys are basically saying "Hey, I have no doubt that game will be a solid 60, because its the absolute minimum sony requires for VR"
When the sony execs laying the vr rules, write the gts code themselves, let me know.

PzR Slim's got a point here.

And some of you guys are basically saying "Hey, I have no doubt that game will be a solid 60, because its the absolute minimum sony requires for VR"
When the sony execs laying the vr rules, write the gts code themselves, let me know.

I think they're right though, to a degree. With the PS3 games they obviously could have been a solid 60, PS3 is capable and so are PD but they made the decision to instead include all the stuff they did, and all the eye candy they did, increased resolution etc. If it comes to a point where PD still aren't at solid 60 instead of just saying "Good enough" as they did with PS3 they'll just presumably start stripping things away until it is.

Back