Ghost Rider

  • Thread starter Thread starter Flerbizky
  • 34 comments
  • 2,896 views

Flerbizky

Weltanschauung
Premium
Messages
7,588
Denmark
Whateversville
Messages
Flerbizky
Nope.. Sorry.. Not a repost, not even closely related to the Swedish turd doing stupid stuff on silly fast bikes....

Ghost Rider
 
It looks about as good as The Punisher.

Renter.

Maybe.
 
"Good" and "The Punisher" don't equate. Unless we're talking about Dolph Lundgren's version... :lol: which falls under "nostalgia".
 
niky
"Good" and "The Punisher" don't equate. Unless we're talking about Dolph Lundgren's version... :lol: which falls under "nostalgia".

I thought it was pretty decent for an action movie.
 
That looks like it could go either way, I doubt I'll go to the cinema to watch it.
 
couldnt they have picked someone better than nicholas cage? :p i remember being a fan of ghost rider as a little kid.. i think i might've even had an action figure.... my memory is very hazy....

did there used to be a ghost rider cartoon?
 
"The Punisher" was a pretty good action film. Nothing monumental, but not bad.
 
Gabkicks
couldnt they have picked someone better than nicholas cage? :p
At least you won't even see him half the time, and his voice should change too.
 
I dont expect much from it and I dont know anything about Ghost Rider but we decided that we would check it out anyway this Saturday. We like all these comic book movies. :dopey:
 
Nicholas Cage is not the person I would have picked for Ghost Rider.. It seems a bit odd.
 
Cage isn't the person any one would pick, who has sense, for an action role, he has an odd face and voice that sounds like he snorted something that never hasn't been expelled yet, and his face seems to show that.

As for the movie, the concept is ok, but I don't think Ghost Rider is a househould name even close to the level of Superman, Spiderman, etc., so I doubt people will go en masse unless very curious.

My main issues are that, a., it's cage, and, b., I have trouble getting over the idea of a character supposedly as bad ass as some kind of supernatural biker being in a pg-13 movie, even if that rating is allowing more violence in.
 
Nicholas Cage is not the person I would have picked for Ghost Rider.. It seems a bit odd.
WHich part seems odd, the fact that he is almost twice the age of the character, the fact that he couldn't be a stunt biker if he tried, the fact that the only thing he has in common with the comic book character is that he has black hair...

I think I could do this all day.

As for the movie, the concept is ok, but I don't think Ghost Rider is a househould name even close to the level of Superman, Spiderman, etc., so I doubt people will go en masse unless very curious.
Neither is The Thing or the Silver Surfer. My wife and I saw a trailer for Rise of the Silver Surfer before Night at the Museum and she asked who he was and I said, "The Silver Surfer," and she just asid, "And he is?" So I went on to explain that he comes to prepare Earth for Galactus at which point she went, "Who?" In all honesty the average person is lucky to have known who Daredevil, Elektra, or any of the Fantastic Four are. The number of peopel my parents' age who said they thought Mr. Fantastic's name was Plastic Man killed me. I had to explain the difference at least five times.

I have trouble getting over the idea of a character supposedly as bad ass as some kind of supernatural biker being in a pg-13 movie, even if that rating is allowing more violence in.
And here is the issue right here. Barely anyone had heard of Blade before the movies came out, but they allowed Blade to be what he is - a violent, badass half humn half vampire, vampire hunter. PG-13 could not have allowed that. Take Ghost Rider and make him PG-13 and you border on campy. Granted the comics didn't actually show all the violence, blood, and gore, but you got the implication that it was there.

A good example of how allowing this to happen can help is Wolverine. X3 is almost undoubtedly the worst of the three, but Wolverine's fight scenes are better than previously because you get to see him go into his berserker rage and kill people without a thought. That is the Wolverine I know.

If Ghost Rider is to be saved I believe it will be by making the worst happen off screen, unseen by the audience, but definitely implied. I think The Crow did that well. I never saw him carve anyone up, but the after effects were seen. The Crow's R-rating was due mainly to language and nudity.
 
ValexBird and I are headed there this weekend to see the movie. We may do a double with "Bridge to Terabithia" but we'll see how the weekend plays out.

I'm eager to see this, as I remember quite a bit of the old comics. I don't have high hopes that it will live up to Spiderman potential, but I'm looking forward to enjoying an evening.
 
I'm not arguing the merit of casting Nicolas Cage as Ghost Rider.

But why does everyone hate him so much in general? He's not my favorite actor in the whole world, but he's decent, and I can't find much to hate about him.
 
I'm not arguing the merit of casting Nicolas Cage as Ghost Rider.

But why does everyone hate him so much in general? He's not my favorite actor in the whole world, but he's decent, and I can't find much to hate about him.
I have always wondered that myself. Many people seem to hate him and I guess I dont know why. Hes not the greatest actor but hes not terrible. Sometimes he is in bad movies. The Wickerman comes to mind right away. I hated that move. But just because he was in it doesnt mean HE is a bad actor. I guess we all have actors we dont like. I personally cant stand Johnny Depp but I still watch some of his movies. Pirates of the Caribbean 2 was very good.
 
I'm not arguing the merit of casting Nicolas Cage as Ghost Rider.

But why does everyone hate him so much in general? He's not my favorite actor in the whole world, but he's decent, and I can't find much to hate about him.

I have to agree with you on this, at worst Cage is non-offensive and at best has actually been quite good, particularly in Leaving Las Vegas, Raising Arizona and Bringing out the Dead.

Regards

Scaff
 
I'm not arguing the merit of casting Nicolas Cage as Ghost Rider.

But why does everyone hate him so much in general? He's not my favorite actor in the whole world, but he's decent, and I can't find much to hate about him.
I don't dislike him. I just think he is not a fit for this movie. If this were 1980's Nicolas Cage then maybe, but he is too old. And maybe it's just me but even in the previews he looks like they tried to make him look younger somehow.

Now in general he gets a bad rap because he will take any movie that comes his way and sometimes you get excellent movies and other times he does horrible movies. In general they aren't his fault, but if he were more picky and casting directors didn't get hyper-excited when he walked into teh room he might have a more prestigious looking career. I have a feeling that when he gets older he'll be one of those actors where they announce he just did his 400th movie or something and you go back and realize you can only think of a handful because the rest was crap.
 
It wasnt terrible but it wasnt one of the top comic book movies. It was better than Aeon Flux and better than Superman. Some of the special effects were decent too. I was just hoping some of the battles would actually last longer than a couple seconds. He sure didnt fight for very long in the movie. And what was with all the jelly beans and the cartoons. Ghost rider also seemed to have a lack of education to say the least. Well there really isnt much to say about the movie. I would say wait and rent it.
The previews did reveal a sneak peak to the next Fantastic 4 which looks like it might be pretty good.
 
I am going to type a longer review down below, but for those looking for a quick answer here it is:

It is better than Daredevil and the Hulk(not hard to do), but not quite as good as Fantastic Four (which wasn't particularly great). I would recommend waiting for DVD, but don't expect to buy it.


Now, my long and full review and thoughts. Remember, this is coming from a fan of the 1970's-80's and 1990's comics, mostly the 1990's.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Previously one of the reasons I listed for Nicolas Cage to not be right for the role was that he was too old. I take that back. They play on the full Johnny Blaze backstory (with changes) and so Cage would be only slightly too old for Johnny Blaze, considering the rest of the story. After the backstory everything seems to combine the Johnny Blaze and Danny Ketch storylines as Ghost Rider possesses both sets of powers, but has a bike more like Danny Ketch's version. The look of the Danny Ketch version is what made me assume Cage would be too old. So, I can excuse the lack of blond hair on Johnny Blaze. The movie also incorporates the original old western-themed Ghost Rider comics, aside from the fact that Carter Slade was never a flaming, demon-possessed skeleton, but we can ignore that. Actually, I can't as you will see later.

And anyone trying to bring up the most recent Ghost Rider comics to compare the movie to can stuff it. They were created in order to tie the movie in properly.

First, because Nicolas Cage has an appropriate age did that help him at all? No. Nicolas Cage has an occasionally odd quirkiness about him that comes out when he is allowed to make the character his own, which he was here. Quirky humor has no role in Ghost rider. The scene where he is trying to make a skull face in the mirror was horrible, even if the audience laughed. They also laughed at scenes that weren't supposed to be funny. If I just got possessed by a demon, turned into a flmaing skeleton, and killed a few people I wouldn't be making faces in the mirror or jokes about feeling like my skull was on fire. Other places, like witness interviews, had some comic humor too that would be in place in Spiderman, but definitely not Ghost Rider.

Next, the storyline seems like it got a Michael Bay treatment. Too much of the love story. Hello, demon-possessed, spirit of vengeance hunting down the son of satan, he takes time out for love? I'm sorry but, "No time for love Dr. Jones." But a kidnapped girl always gives a hero motivation to chase down the villain, because stopping the end of the world isn't enough. Besides, a comic book hero movie where he is only the form of the hero less than 25% of the time is kind of weak. And I won't even go into plot holes, especially the one really big one.

Now the comic injustice that was done: The character of Carter Slade as an old-west Ghost rider. This is the Carter Slade Ghost Rider character from 1963:
210px-GhostRider_western_1.jpg

He was a Lone Ranger type character that dressed in all white. He was definitely not the cowboy version of this:
GR-787.jpg


This just screams a script written by someone who never read the comics before this movie or even did a Google search when he heard about an old-west cowboy Ghost Rider. Then the inclusion was pointless and did almost nothing for the story. The only bonus to this is that Sam Elliott was excellent for the role, and his acting was great. And I will save anyone wanting to bring up Hamilton Slade becoming the new Phantom Rider after being possessed by his ancestors some trouble. He was still not a flaming skeleton and this small mention leaves out that Lincoln Slade went insane and did a few things that broke the comic book code before dying.

This is the end of my comic fanboy issues. Now, moving on.

Now the biggest problem with the whole movie was that it was rated PG-13. Why? I don't know many kids under 13 that know who Ghost Rider even is, and those that do only know because the comics were brought back in order to help promote the movie. In my theater there was no on under 16 in there. This could have taken an R rating and been so much better. Ghost Rider was on par with Blade (even fought him once) and Spawn. When demonic forces are fought violence and bloodshed should be expected. I never saw a single drop of blood. Spawn was PG-13 and was horrible. The R-rated DVD version was better, but barely. Blade was R from the beginning and excellent to boot. I strongly believe that if Ghost Rider were R-rated The script could have had more room to work with and the movie would have been much better. It is a dark story and something that just explaining to a kid would be hard, so why make it so that parents may think taking their kids sounds good?

Now, the Ghost Rider scenes were good as a whole. I only had one issue, when he grabbed a guy with his chain and said, "Get over here!" Flaming skull grabbing someone with a chain sounds like Scorpion from Mortal Kombat. Someone mixed up their source material. Aside from that it was good effects and he was fun to watch. As stated above the fight scenes were kind of short, but Ghost Rider never spent much time in epic battles because anyone whose soul was "stained with the blood of the innocent" didn't last long and hellfire does a job even on spiritual beings. Of course, one would expect a battle with Legion to last slightly longer.

Cons:
  • At least one major plot hole.
  • Major deviation from storyline
  • Creative team appears to have never heard of Ghost Rider before now
  • Not the dark story expected of this kind of anti-hero.
  • Needed more violence (R-rating)

Pros:
  • Entertaining - not dull
  • Levity makes otherwise dull scenes enjoyable
  • Sam Elliott
  • Good effects - fire looks like fire
  • In Ghost Rider form things felt true to the comics
  • Penance Stare, Hellfire, and Chain all used properly (obeyed the rules of the mythos)
  • Tame enough for young teens to enjoy (not an R-rating)

Now, reading up on the video game I hear it uses the same engine as God of War and plays like God of War. This has me very interested as to how much fun it might be. I will probably rent it.

EDIT:
CamaroBoy, the jelly beans, cartoons and Carpenters was because he made a deal with the devil and was rejecting all vices to try and avoid inviting him back in. I agree with most of your assessment, except the Superman bit. I actually really liked Superman Returns and the original Superman (whichever you meant). Oh, and his lack of education (man or demon?) was because he grew up as a Carnie and was new at the whole being Ghost Rider thing. I mean, Peter Parker face planted into a wall when he first tried web slinging.
 
You left out Eva Mendes as a pro for watching this movie. She was stunning to look at in every scene. Quite the eye candy if you ask me.

evamendes15qe2.jpg
 
You left out Eva Mendes as a pro for watching this movie. She was stunning to look at in every scene. Quite the eye candy if you ask me.
I think the fact that we spent more time with him trying to get with her than we did with Ghost Rider made it a negative for me.

I did think the waiter that gave her a "meh" when she asked if he thought she was pretty must be gay.
 
I think the fact that we spent more time with him trying to get with her than we did with Ghost Rider made it a negative for me.
Leave it to hollywood to insert a romantic sub-plot to every possible movie they can. BTW in general I did like the movie. It was worth a date night with my wife and friends.
I did think the waiter that gave her a "meh" when she asked if he thought she was pretty must be gay.
If it was a French restaurant then I would have to agree.
 
Leave it to hollywood to insert a romantic sub-plot to every possible movie they can. BTW in general I did like the movie. It was worth a date night with my wife and friends.
My wife and I saw Bridge to Terabithia Saturday. It was much better and something my wife could get into, even if every woman was crying their eyes out near the end.
 
...besides having the stupidest title in recent memory.
 
...besides having the stupidest title in recent memory.
Except for the fact that it has the same title as the book it is based on...
 
...besides having the stupidest title in recent memory.

What? Ghost Rider or Terabithia? Are we just comparing movie titles here? I can come up with some crazy named comic characters.
 
TB
Except for the fact that it has the same title as the book it is based on...
...which then wins the coveted "Stupidest book title in recent memory", errrrrrrr, title.
 
...which then wins the coveted "Stupidest book title in recent memory", errrrrrrr, title.
Please, tell me you have heard of the book.

OK, I will grant you Terabithia is an odd name but the storyline has it being made up by a 12-year-old girl with an overactive imagination. Taking that into account it makes a perfect sense to have an odd name.
 
ANYWAY, back to the original topic if we may.

I've just finished watching Ghost Rider, and I gotta say I enjoyed it. Story was good enough and the special effects are cool.

Previous posters have said that they wouldnt pick Nic Cage for the Ghost Rider, but the guy is a fan of the character and have a flaming skull tattoo, so at least he has a passion for it.

I'd have to say its a good movie, and with news about a sequel I'm looking forward to it.

Spoiler Below, highlight to see if you wish:

loved the part with Caretaker and Blaze both in their Ghost Rider form and rides.
 
Back