Give us better sounds - PLEASE !!

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo 6' started by steamcat, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Sauber_C9

Sauber_C9

That's great, but how long would that have taken him? How long would it take to do that for 1000+ cars? Yeh, PD have time to do some really well and there are some cars in GT5 that sound fine. I love the sound of the Mazda 787B, the sound of it idling is awesome.

2. J0SH1

J0SH1

Yes!

3. MeanElf

MeanElf

I'm pretty sure PD don't rely on Google Translate or somesuch...

4. Acefighto

Acefighto

YESS THE CARS NEED BETTER SOUND!
    they need more bass and punch!

5. jabofu

jabofu

If you drive with some friends online, you will notice how well some car sounds are. Let someone pass you in a Supra or something else and you will hear some very decent sound. Like the BMW 330i, it sounds like a real 6 zylinder BMW-engine, but only from the outside, driven by someone else. When you sit in the car by yourself it sounds like a vacuum cleaner again. The BMW M3 E92 is the worst sounding car for me. Maybe because I like the car so much, but its really awful to drive.

I think that they have the data to make it right, but somehow they have not with GT5. If the car sounds will improve to sound nearly real and rich, then it would make GT5 twice as good as now. The graphics are great, the physics are good too, you have the right tracks, but then you sit in your car and then you get nausea by hearing the car sounds.

I want to hear a Ferrari 458 screaming at me when it overtakes me. And the car sounds have to get more dirty. They are too smooth now.

But Kaz already said they made some improvements in that area, so we wait and see. And if they disapoint again, we already have the competition as a backup-plan.

6. shawtyoner

shawtyoner

Yes the 787B does sound good idling, but horrible on fly bys, the exhaust is not optimized properly, skip to end, there is this real digitized sound to it, this fizzy, staticky sound:

Now the real thing, skip to end:

And just to compare to FM4, listen to how clean it sounds:

Improvements can be made, even to cars that we feel are good already.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
    GRAN007 and Magic Ayrton like this.
  7. mikecustom

mikecustom (Banned)

i don't like the forza one, i've listened to this car IRL and GT5 got it right at low revs, then it's like everything else, the forza one sounds really fake and way too high pitched, last time i checked, the 787b did not sound like a f1 car

Swagger897 and Magic Ayrton like this.
  8. alonsof1fan91

alonsof1fan91

I think PD needs to rework the sound engine completly.

Yesterday I took a stock E55 AMG which sounds great from behind, but if you look back from chase view, you don`t really hear the engine.

If you add a custom gear box, you won`t even hear it anymore from cockpit view, you will only hear gear whine.

Gear whine is way to loud, engines not loud enough!

The wind effects are wrong too, the wind is way to loud even at low speeds.

9. shawtyoner

shawtyoner

I respectfully disagree but to each his own. The 787B is loud and high pitched, it screams when at full throttle, and the sound reverberates and echos loud when it fly's by. Forza's may seem a bit over the top, but the sound quality far supersedes Polyphony's effort.

10. ChicoMaloXD

ChicoMaloXD

Also turbo sound and other car sounds are terrible on GT5.

The turbo sounds like a flatulence. It even sounded better in GT2!!!!!

Magic Ayrton likes this.
  11. steamcat

steamcat

Wow - look like I hit a nerve here !! Personally, I never realized how much one uses sound input for driving until my sound system cut out one day in the middle of the race. I tried to continue but it was hopeless. Sound is a very important cue used when driving - especially in the heat of a race.

I recently did a trial subscription in iRacing and one of the newer cars they have is the Cadillac CTSV-R race car. The first time I blipped the throttle while it was in neutral, I just about fell off my chair. I had the volume higher than I thought and it sounded down right MEAN. A big, throaty, raspy V8 roar that pratically gave me goose bumps. And on the track, every time you nailed it, you were rewarded with this great in-car engine sound that reminded me exactly of the sound you hear when they give you those great in-car views of the C6.R racing Corvettes. Awesome :)

So the technology is there. PD just needs to tap into it.

Magic Ayrton likes this.
  12. JoRdY105

JoRdY105 Premium

They should be able to get things like the WRX right though.
    That Boxter engine noise is one of the most recognizable, and coolest sounds in the world. But when you drive it in GT, it sounds like just another car!
    PD need to pick up their game, the sounds immerse you just that much more in the game and it's leaking it at the moment!

13. ZohsixGT5

ZohsixGT5 Premium

One of the standard STi rally cars (03 I think) sounds very close to the correct boxer sound.

14. Tahli462

Tahli462

15. MSTER232

MSTER232

PD should use the following website and programme to help them with the engine sounds in GT6. Click here

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Magic Ayrton likes this.
  16. Gyro1780

Gyro1780

Totally disagree with all this.

Magic Ayrton likes this.
  17. FormulaKimball

FormulaKimball

I'm with you - Forza gets it better where it matters (the overall tone of the engine/exhaust).

PD really need to figure out how to capture the aggressive, meaty, full power growl/howl of each engine type. There's something cartoony and processed about every single engine sound in GT5, even the really good ones, and half the awesome cars in GT5 go to my garage and stay there purely due to their irritating sound - my body will actually reach a threshold where it just cannot tolerate the noise anymore and will start rebelling (making mistakes) to try and make it stop.

What I want in GT6 is to experience the excitement that other games have given me when they get the engine sounds nailed really well - that sense of total immersion.

18. 1241Penguin

1241Penguin Premium

I just looked at his channel; I'd say about 50 a year. And that's coming from one person, whose main "job" isn't even to do this.

Now if only PD realizes that their workforce is too small for whatever they have planned to do...

19. JBanton

JBanton

They need to make it so that our car sound doesn't disappear when opponents are nearby, I've never really heard that happen in real life :confused:

20. 1241Penguin

1241Penguin Premium

21. FormulaKimball

FormulaKimball

Even with the wind and transmission noise the engine is LOUD when your foot is on the floor, and no camera audio ever quite captures it. My experience includes driving a Formula 2000 car, or being a passenger around the 'Ring in the Zakspeed Viper - I'm always disappointed in any onboard footage because the microphone always fails to capture the real sound dynamics and adds its own sensitivities and resonant frequencies that either weren't really there or are exaggerated. Pagani's Zonda R Nurburgring lap is the only one that I've heard that is close and even that sounds like kind of low quality audio compression somewhere.

22. TokoTurismo

TokoTurismo

The thing is. Our cars are supposed to sound much louder than thiers. :indiff:

23. MSTER232

MSTER232

Any chance you're Michael Schumacer :lol: ?

24. jabofu

jabofu

I experienced it already on the Nordschleife in real. If a Porsche GT3, Mitsubishi Evo or tuned M3 overtakes you, you will not hear your engine, when it is not in the same category. Atleast you wont notice it anymore, but your engine sound is still there, but the others just overtone yours.

Sure, it doesnt... :sly:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
    Magic Ayrton likes this.
  25. Raitziger

Raitziger

Yes. This because GT does not model individual transmission types. Lambo has old school slow single clutch sequential which makes shifts very violent.(and certainly add character to car) They did some improvements to GT-R shifting but I think rest Dual clutch transmissions have still too slow shift times.

26. FormulaKimball

FormulaKimball

Well I'm nearly the same age, does that count? :lol:

Formula 2000 (2L engine, what you drive with Bertil Roos or Skip Barber schools) - I only mentioned it as a "head in the wind" experience, and even at top speed the engine was quite audible.

27. dr_slump

dr_slump Premium

I like the premium Blitz

28. 1241Penguin

1241Penguin Premium

With regards to DSG cars, they should be a lot smoother.

I also hate how some automatics in GT5 shift like manuals.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
    Magic Ayrton likes this.
  29. Tornado

Tornado

To say nothing about engine sounds, it would be nice if GT6 took the time to include drivetrain and suspension sounds. Particularly now that the series has a cockpit view, them not being there makes everything seem incredibly sterile.

30. MSTER232

MSTER232

That is why I avoid driving cars in GT5 that are usually automatic in real life.
    But of course, PD would improve anything that has a Nissan badge on it :rolleyes: . PD are too biased on Nissan cars.

Magic Ayrton likes this.