Give us better sounds - PLEASE !!

• Thread starter steamcat
  • 4,667 comments
I'd be happy with just an upgrade to the quality of engine and exhaust sound. There are some cars in GT5 that I'd love to drive more often - but the sound is terrible. Like a whining little lawn mower. IMHO, sound is a very integral part of the whole sim experience. It adds as much realism as the quality of the graphics.

And you can hear the sound sample repeat itself over and over - it's not seamless. It also seems that many cars use the same sound files - boring. If I'm driving a car with a powerful V8 in it, I want it to sound powerful - not like something a grandmother would drive to church :grumpy:

End of rant :)

Not a single car sound is right.
I honestly don't care much about improve physics, graphics, damage model, weather, etc. If they get the engine sounds right for GT6, I swear people will not care much about other flaws.

Last time I check, I never use my vacuum cleaner when I'm driving my real car.

Absolutely, sound must change for GT6, it's not like PD can't do it, they aren't making the effort, and yes, if cars sounded realistic, i would forgive 800 standard cars and over 9000 miatas

I disagree on this. The premium 787B sounds fairly close to it's real life counterpart, as does the Pagani Zonda 7.3 (and it's a standard).

Some of the japanese premiums also sound fairly close to real life (e.g the NSX, the Skylines)

I do agree they have to focus on getting the frequencies correct, and hopefully, using higher quality (and more) samples to improve the sounds of most cars.

I honestly don't care much about improve physics, graphics, damage model, weather, etc. If they get the engine sounds right for GT6, I swear people will not care much about other flaws.

Last time I check, I never use my vacuum cleaner when I'm driving my real car.

Ahh yes, the good 'ol vacuum cleaner comment.:rolleyes:

Do you fools know anything about the complications of making realistic sounds? Of course they sound digitised, they are! Would half of you even recognise a more realistic sound? it's not as simple as recording real sounds and then looping them and there will always be a loss in quality as sounds get edited and tweaked. I'd love to know what games you guys think that PD should emulate that actually have realistic car sounds.

Ahh yes, the good 'ol vacuum cleaner comment.:rolleyes:

Until they fix the sounds there can never be enough of the vacuum cleaner comments. It's been the same since GT1. Every other racing game has improved in this department and most of GT5 is still just the equivalent of a game I play on my android. :yuck:

Absolutely, sound must change for GT6, it's not like PD can't do it, they aren't making the effort, and yes, if cars sounded realistic, i would forgive 800 standard cars and over 9000 miatas

This is absolutely spot on! The one thing that's missing from 'the real driving simulator" is real sound... GT5 would blow everything out of the water if the sound was good even with the dodgy game design.

As for not being able to do good sound that is guff as there are plenty of games that do great sounding cars, just look at Need for Speed, if they can do it anyone can :)

In my opinion the sounds of the engines are ok in GT5 and a great jump compared the past, some to be reviewed, but after all good. I love the bass produced by the subwoofer with some cars.
But more than anything else for a better and complete experience they should add sounds from various parts of the car like brakes whistles, body squeaks and other effects such as the bottom of the car hitting the pavement/curbs and similar. Only with these improvements GT6 will be great:)

Do you fools know anything about the complications of making realistic sounds? Of course they sound digitised, they are! Would half of you even recognise a more realistic sound? it's not as simple as recording real sounds and then looping them and there will always be a loss in quality as sounds get edited and tweaked. I'd love to know what games you guys think that PD should emulate that actually have realistic car sounds.

?

And it's not even done by what you'd call a professional.

I think part of the problem is that some people want cars to sound like they sound if you have the hood open and are listening to the engine directly or if you're behind the car and want it to sound how it would sound from outside. Cars don't sound like that when you're driving them. Now granted, the only direct experience I have with cars to any extensive level are the RX-7 and the MR2. But based on those cars, with which I'm intimately familiar, Polyphony has gotten the sound pretty close to accurate to how it sounds from inside the car. Other racing games have more dynamic sound, but more often than not, those sounds are nowhere near realistic. If you're driving the car.

In terms of placement of sound, as you've described, PD have pretty much gotten it right. You can tell which view you're in just by listening to the sound and then determining where it's coming from (e.g. exhausts, engine). However, the samples themselves could use a lot of improving.

Thery were low on memory with PS3 but this time sample length, quality and count of samples per car should be greatly risen. Highest rpm sample (in 8k rpm) should have real grunt, not using 5k rpm sample fastened to hell and therefore sounding digital and rubish. They even recorded engine startup samples, but included them only in menu and not in the game, why?

They even recorded engine startup samples, but included them only in menu and not in the game, why?
That's a good point. If you stall your car in GT5 (H-shifter and clutch pedal), all you do to start the car again is step on the accelerator, and the engine magically starts up again, without the need for a starter motor. How futuristic is that?!

it's worse than digitalized, it's completely wrong, look at the sauber c9, it's arguably one of the most epic v8 sounds ever, and in gt5, it's not that it sounds downgraded, it seriously sounds like a hairdryer, same goes for some other cars like the 905, the Escudo ,

almost every game i've played sounds better, i know there's no thing like "realistic sound" but it takes little effort to make a car sound good, must take a lot more effort to make it sound so bad

1241Penguin´s video says it all guys.

I am one of those who is begging for realistic sounds in a realistic looking game.

I play rFactor and all Simbin Games and have to say that GT series sounds are the worst in the whole industry.(the engine and rev sounds not environmental sounds, just to be clear here) Not even represents the basics of the engines sounds because they are wrong in most cases.
I was trying to prove that some sounds at low revs sounds more close to the real ones in some cars but no...if you have it wrong at high revs it just doesn´t work in a racing game...and after playing tons of more games when i went back to GT5 i just had to stop playing literally because it is just getting annoying.

Just by trying some mods in rFactor you all can get the picture in why i say this...some examples as Historic GT and Touring cars by HistoriX (GTL mod for rFactor), Enduraracers mod with all LMP cars from 2006 to 2011 and some from 2012 as the Audi R18 (both Hybrid and Diesel) and Toyota Rebellion, etc. Then other great mod with 100% accurate realistic sounds as ADAC GT Masters 24hs 2011 with the FIA GT cars from the Nürburgring 24hs race...it is just incredible.

Try that and then tell me that realistic sound is not important in a racing game while you are driving, talking from an immersion point of view of course.

My guess is that GT5 carried the sounds of GT series or more properly from GT4 because of all the standard cars. If they used realistic engine sounds for Premiums the whole mix in races between standard cars and premiums would be a total mess.
I said this because when you take look at the GT5 intro videos and Ferrari, Toyota GT86 and Acura NSX video´s you can hear realistic engine sounds...and because of that i believed that we were going to have those great sounds in the game...but then...well you know what happened.

I felt a little bit scammed in that area of the game. I really love sounds in not only racing games...in all kind of games, and talking about GT series the evolution was good in the mix but bad in the realism of it in the most important part.

They need to fix rev sounds and gearbox sounds if they want to make it good first. But i believe that PD has realistic sounds already and we are going to see it implemented in GT6...if it is not the case i´m going to be the most disappointed FAN of this game ever.

Just my opinion, i think this is way important to fix with proper physics, suspension and proper tyre model (the contact with surface is not realistic, take the car to the curves of Race X and see what happens...car slips while you stop it...that is not real at all and makes a mess with the overall physics/reaction in the game)

My guess is that GT5 carried the sounds of GT series or more properly from GT4 because of all the standard cars. If they used realistic engine sounds for Premiums the whole mix in races between standard cars and premiums would be a total mess.
I said this because when you take look at the GT5 intro videos and Ferrari, Toyota GT86 and Acura NSX video´s you can hear realistic engine sounds...and because of that i believed that we were going to have those great sounds in the game...but then...well you know what happened.
This could be true, but I'm also wondering if PD did have realistic engine sounds prepared for Premium cars, more often than not, they should work with Standard cars as well. For example, PD could easily have used the theoretical "realistic" engine sound from the Premium Skyline and then copied it onto all the Standard Skylines. The same could be said for the Subarus, most of which have the same 2.0L Flat-4 engine. In fact, I'd say that many cars would have much better sounds even if they got the noise from a different (albiet similar) Premium car with this theoretical realistic engine sound.

I should point out that the engine sounds in the FT86 and Acura NSX videos are the same. Perhaps they only have one "realistic" sounding clip?
They need to fix rev sounds and gearbox sounds if they want to make it good first. But i believe that PD has realistic sounds already and we are going to see it implemented in GT6...if it is not the case i´m going to be the most disappointed FAN of this game ever.
This is true. GT5 doesn't model the way the cars change gears properly:

GT5 Aventador:

Real Aventador:

In GT5 it's a lot smoother than it should be.

Not that it makes an overall difference to the realism of GT5 car sounds, but there is a notable difference in the sound of the car depending on the view chosen. Personally, I prefer the sounds of the "bonnet view," but I don't like the perception at that height as it makes me feel like I'm driving a truck. I normally drive with "bumper view" and just tolerate the sound created at that perspective.

Back