Glickenhaus Says Its Cars Won't Appear in Gran Turismo Unless Sony Pays "a Fair Royalty"

In some ways, I can't believe we're 3 pages into this thread (though in the internet age, nothing really surprises me).

I think folks are waaaaay overthinking this. It's pretty simple. NEITHER party needs the other at all.
Oh ho hooooo... if you haven't, you should check out the please no more expensive cars in the Gran Turismo 7 forum.:sly:
I'd say a response isnt necessary.

Focus on the brands that people have missed... Volvo Lotus... hell, spend up big on the Koreans and the defunct Australian brands.
I know PD won't respond. Took a long time for us to find out why it took so long for Spa to be in GT SPORT.

We all know PD don't do communication well.

Lotus, now this brand. I've never read this kind of news about Forza. To the latest supercars to the obscure car makers, no problem for Forza. Maybe Lotus and that guy are right. Why no Bentley in GTSport for exemple?

Lotus, now this brand. I've never read this kind of news about Forza. To the latest supercars to the obscure car makers, no problem for Forza. Maybe Lotus and that guy are right. Why no Bentley in GTSport for exemple?
And even Bentley are part of the VW(+Audi+Porsche+Lamborghini+Bugatti-shame no Skoda and SEAT) group.

Maybe Glickenhaus has to think GT games give him a window to all.
Money is maybe a good point, but a GT appearence makes you a clear visibility to long time in motorsport gamers' head.

Finally, Glickenhaus is not a car I really need into my GT garage... In GT Sport, all GT3 cars, maybe only Bentley missing.

money, money, money... but passion?

I think Glickenhaus is quite stupid, i mean GT is the most famous racing game in world and Glickenhaus obviously isn't the most famous racing team, they're not as precious as ferrari, every devoloper can just ignore them, but it seems that they don't know that.

money, money, money... but passion?

This is probably the most arse about face comment in the thread. I doubt there's any passion behind the leagues of lawyers involved in licensing cars from the major OEM's at all... Jim builds cars to go racing, and takes that racing experience to build better cars. You lament the absence of Bentley, but you don't think you need an SCG?? Look at Glickenhaus's car collection, look at what he wanted to do with Ferrari and Pininfarina, look at what he's tried/trying to achieve with the SCG003, 004 and 007, look at the Boot... this is the hot blood of sports car building.. there's nothing more to the likes of Bentley racing in GT3 than the cold, black ink in the fountain pen the legal department signs things with, and no desire to go racing unless it forms a viable business case that their marketing department can synergise up their own arses.

Well frankly if James wants the attention he'll arrange to have his cars in the next game for a knock down price otherwise he really doesn't care as he prrobablty believe he has enough attention.

All I'm reading is "rich person wants to get even richer".

Honestly I can't remember the last time I drove either the P4/5 or SCG003 in Assetto. Being a GT3 class car, it just drives like any other GT3 MR car. And IMO they don't look that good either. PD were absolutely right not to be price gouged by these people. Better use the money for more desirable brands like Lotus, Koenigsegg, Bentley, etcetera.

It is obvious that both parties want to work together, in which financial terms ? I don't know and I don't care.

What I care about is that Glickenhaus has a 50% chance to be the first LM Hypercar class winner in history at Le Mans versus Toyota during season 2021/22, and this has to matter to Polyphony Digital and Gran Turismo players.

For the present, Glickenhaus' GT3 cars may not be absolutly requiered in a Gran Turismo game, but in the near future of Gran Turismo 7 I can't imagine the Toyota GR Super Sport dropped in the game without a direct challenger like the SGC 007.

Le Mans and prototype races have a big part in Gran Turismo games, Glickenhaus knows it and that's why he is making the negociations that difficult for Polyphony Digital.

SCG has fooled itself into thinking it enhances the brand-value of Gran Turismo, but in reality it's opposite, SCG would bring absolutely no brand-value to Gran Turismo when you consider it's customer base (all 30-40 of them, a truly breath-taking and truly industry defining number!) and brand awareness (which pretty much translates to "no one cares" comparatively speaking), they need Gran Turismo more than Gran Turismo needs them..
You have no evidence of this, all you have is a tweet. Perhaps he doesnt view the GT franchise as this holy grail that many gamers do.

Maybe you should study some very basic marketing so you can understand what you're reading.
If they paid him 1 - 2 million the financial benefit wouldn't even touch his sides.
That’s fine, I can try to help.

.”I’m assuming your opinion is “public perception doesn’t matter.” That’s fine, personally for me - whenever I see SCG now I’ll associate them with whining on Twitter to GT fans. To me that’s a bad look and I’ll remember that sour interaction when I see them on tv.
Not everyone gets this emotional or irrational over a tweet about a company not agreeing terms with a licensing department.

To me, defending them In this way is like saying “Just be snotty to everyone in your life as long as they don’t affect your income.” And that’s what I object to.

You're putting too much stock into a simple tweet. Imagine judging someones character and how they go about their life, real life, over a few words on a platform that uses only 140 characters. He got straight to the point. I'm sure he is a busy guy and doesnt care to spare sensitive GT players feelings.

Sorry, in which games appear the glickenhaus cars, besides de Mobile games?
AC and race room. Perhaps PD should have paid more and added his GT3 car into GTsport instead of adding a fiat 500 and a few other cars that have nothing to do with motorsport.

Lots of assumptions here on negotiations. Not sure where people are even coming to some of these conclusions since we literally are just going off tweets.

Also, how about some of us stop pretending GT is the end all be all for Car brands? Sure it might've helped some manufacturers and I even credit it for basically exposing me to likes of Aston Martin and Fiat and of course RUF, but today isn't like the late 90s where PD is the only one selling the console game with cars that look the closest to the real thing.

As shown, SCG clearly doesn't care about Sim Racing so it doesn't matter how much people might want them.

:lol::lol:
If they paid him 1 - 2 million the financial benefit wouldn't even touch his sides.
Not everyone gets this emotional or irrational over a tweet about a company not agreeing terms with a licensing department.

You're putting too much stock into a simple tweet. Imagine judging someones character and how they go about their life, real life, over a few words on a platform that uses only 140 characters. He got straight to the point. I'm sure he is a busy guy and doesnt care to spare sensitive GT players feelings.

We don’t need to swing through life on a pendulum of extremes. I simply said I think it’s a bad look and gave my reasoning. You apparently took offense to this position and started dramatizing it calling me irrational and emotional.

I’m tempted to dive into the topic of the impact twitter has in 2020. But you might not like what I say and start pointing the finger again so I’ll leave it at that.

Also, how about some of us stop pretending GT is the end all be all for Car brands? Sure it might've helped some manufacturers and I even credit it for basically exposing me to likes of Aston Martin and Fiat and of course RUF, but today isn't like the late 90s where PD is the only one selling the console game with cars that look the closest to the real thing.
Plus even if GT actually was still the unabashed 100% leader in the market in that way like it was up to probably GT5, I suspect console racing games aren't the the ones with the highest amounts of exposure to regular folk nowadays anyway.

No matter who plays hardball Mr Glickenhaus or PD the only confirmed loser is us the players. And to those saying "We don't need Glickenhaus" etc thats complete nonesense we need as many cars as we can get especially after the "atomic bomb" which fall upon the car list.

And to those saying "We don't need Glickenhaus" etc thats complete nonesense we need as many cars as we can get especially after the "atomic bomb" which fall upon the car list.

So they are needed purely because the car list from GT Sport was massively reduced from GT6? It was a game on new hardware as was the case with GT3 on PS2, was going to happen.

Also, this numbers game people are obsessed with does not automatically determine the quality of a game (GT5 anyone?)

Nah. At the end of the day, Glickenhaus is just one of the brand for Gran Turismo had it actually goes in. One brand exclusion or inclusion does not make less or more of the game. Kinda like Porsche and Lamborghini back then.

Those previous GT games without Glickenhaus just werent real GT games either

So they are needed purely because the car list from GT Sport was massively reduced from GT6?
No specific brand is needed but the more cars we get the better right? I mean i coulden't care less about Fiat's current lineup but you or someone else may love those 500s who am i to judge?.

It was a game on new hardware as was the case with GT3 on PS2, was going to happen.
I am aware 👍 .

Also, this numbers game people are obsessed with does not automatically determine the quality of a game (GT5 anyone?
Correct but what about GT5 ? It had a big amount of content GT3 would.be a better example.

Correct but what about GT5 ? It had a big amount of content GT3 would.be a better example.

I bring up GT5 because there was actual bragging AND advertising about it having over 1000 cars (Alot of which were lazy, even downgraded PS2 ports). This game also had some of the most awful net code as well as painfully slow loading times. Main point is that having such a large number of cars never masks painfully obvious flaws and this is coming from someone who played the game on a daily basis.

I bring up GT5 because there was actual bragging AND advertising about it having over 1000 cars (Alot of which were lazy, even downgraded PS2 ports). This game also had some of the most awful net code as well as painfully slow loading times. Main point is that having such a large number of cars never masks painfully obvious flaws and this is coming from someone who played the game on a daily basis.
I coulden't agree more.

Number of people who aren't going to buy GT7 because SCG aren't in it: 0
Number of people who might not buy a SCG car because it wasn't in GT7: potentially more than 0

It doesn't take a marketing genius to figure out who's got the leverage.

Is this a company that even does marketing? If not, I feel this is even more of a sign that clearly its not exactly chasing big time OEM sales figures or Typical Supercar numbers and even more so is less reliant on gaming as a medium of exposure.

I'm gonna flip this around and say that the big companies like Sony and Microsoft with their layers of personnel and legals makes them harder to work with the small companies.

And to those saying "We don't need Glickenhaus" etc thats complete nonesense we need as many cars as we can get especially after the "atomic bomb" which fall upon the car list.

I can think of about a thousand cars I would rather have than Glickenhaus. And it’s not as if the production at PD grinds to a halt until they have secured a Glickenhaus license. If we can’t get Glickenhaus we’ll get other cars instead.

How many people that are customers of
McLaren, Ferrari, Bugatti, Lamborghini, have not played Gran Turismo or bought a PS4?

Never mind potential customers. GT is not a prerequisite to buy expensive limited production vehicles.

Wasn't there a spat about manufacturers cars showing damage in GT? Why was damage allowed in other games but GT?

I'm just patiently waiting to read what Jim has to say about all this.

Back