Global Protests Against Social Distancing, Lockdown, Vaccine Mandate

• Thread starter Dotini
  • 766 comments
The "First Amendment rights" bit is...odd. Rights such as free expression are covered in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, the first amendment of which, as I understand it, expanded protections therein to cover Indian and Inuit peoples.

The First Amendment to the United States Constitution doesn't protect citizens of other countries. Foreign visitors on American soil are generally beneficiaries of protections ensconced in the Bill of Rights, but those protections--which are really constraints on government actors--don't apply to other governments.
Ah, but you're missing the American imperative to forcibly apply their views and systems upon the poor uneducated peasants of the rest of the world. If a country is not the USA, then it's worth going there to make sure that the people get a good ole dose of American values.

I mean, won't someone think of the child, er... Canadians?!

The whole story:

It's pathetic actually, that a small number of misguided, ignorant people have been able to cause so much damage to the social fabric to the country. I blame the Canadian authorities for not stepping up earlier to prevent the "blockades". It would have been perfectly possible to have acted earlier to avoid the situation escalating to the point it did. It's reminiscent of Jan 6th. It's no longer possible to assume that norms of political conduct are going to be respected.

FMA_0qNXsAAUR9P.jpeg

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the First Amendment of Canada related to the recognition of Manitoba?

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the First Amendment of Canada related to the recognition of Manitoba?
I think what they're wrongly trying to get at is the first part of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, which is more or less the Canadian version of the Bill of Rights. But that wasn't enacted until 1982. Prior to that, there was the Canadian Bill of Rights which was enacted in 1960. There is the Bill of Rights 1689 that extended to Canada, but that was a decision made by England, not Canada.

Canada's Constitutional history is messy though and isn't straightforward like the US's. They've sort of had several Constitutions or Constitution versions since the late 1600s and it has been changed around a bunch. I think the most up-to-date and the Constitution that is used currently was the one drafted in 1982.

What are they even protesting? There's only a handful of COVID restrictions in the US at the moment.

Already congested beltway suddenly doesn't want extra traffic? Say it ain't so!

The bitchfit at any given moment is decided by a spin of the wheel.
They lost a turn already and will eventually land on bankrupt before solving the puzzle (they won't solve it either).

Guess these folks will never be satisfied unless America turns the clock back two and a half centuries.

Last edited:
So unlike the people screaming that they're "oppressed" because they couldn't eat at a restaurant, the people in China are starting to protest against the CCP's actual oppressive COVID policies:

I would like to point out that they have been holding lengthy hearings in Ottawa to investigate the Trudeau government's use of the Emergency Measures Act to counter the "Freedom Convoy"s occupation of the centre of Ottawa last February. Unlike the Jan 6th hearings, there has been a pretty fair representation of all sides involved in the confrontation. It seems clear that a majority of Canadians across the country supported Trudeau's actions, although there was also considerable opposition. There were elements within the movement who adopted a strident anti-government position, with significant funding from right wing groups in the US. Some of the speakers from the Freedom Convoy appeared quite articulate and reasonable at times but lurking underneath was a deep well of religious fundamentalism, white nationalism, racism that has bubbled to the surface on occasion.

Having said that, it's pretty obvious that the response from the police and government was both inadequate and clumsy.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back