GM Full Size Trucks In General - 2019 Debuts

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 524 comments
Nah. My grandfather has two of those, except with a longer bed. They sit at that height and look great. 👍

If it was mine I'd try to clear a wider tires for a wide stance. The 80s were my favorite years for trucks.

Saw them yesterday and thought both were ugly. Saw them again today and both designs are starting to look better to me.

Trucks in this category are designed with function over form, rather than form over function.

Definately interested in hearing more numbers on the new engine lineup.

Chevrolet-Silverado_2014_800x600_wallpaper_03.jpg

5853306906_e21ff45d17.jpg

Snap.

Actually, the Lego one is a bit more curvy :sly:

I actually do appreciate the "function over form" argument, but I do wonder whether GM couldn't have done a little more to make the front end a little less vulgar. I mean, they've probably done it for a good reason - the sort of people these are aimed at will be falling over themselves to get the biggest and most brash they can - but they're almost comedic to look at.

For the record, I'm not anti-truck. I love the 50s-70s stuff, and if I ever move to the U.S. and am adequately equipped to buy one, a Raptor will be on my shopping list. But these two... damn.

I agree, the Chevy needs to drop some lights. There is also something wrong with the LEDs on the GMC.

The GMT800's (the generation prior to this last one, early 00's) did a fine job of looking normal and being functional I thought. They were pretty dull to look at but they didn't look comically big and brash.

I hate pretty much all of GM's new design language. It manages to be boring and ugly at the same time, although I guess that's the way most companies are leaning towards.

God extended cabs need to die.

This.

I like the new styling over the current one. Like YSSMAN said, it brings back memories of the Post-Facelift 3rd-gen Chevy's. Which are only my favorite trucks ever built. :sly: I miss ours.

I think the reason it looks better is because the tires/wheels are bigger rather than because they are further from the wheel well.

In Michigan people use pick-up trucks as family vehicles all the time, especially if they have a boat, which many people in Michigan do. I'm sure it's not that different in other areas of the country.

I'm wondering what my Dad thinks of the new trucks, I haven't talked to him about it yet. It's the last year for the Avalanche, and he's trading in his for yet another new one. According to him, it's either a 2013 Avalanche or he's getting a crew-cab Silverado. His biggest concern is over the locking bed, in the Avalanche he doesn't have to worry about things getting stolen, or wet, or anything. It's all sealed shut. Perhaps GM will be making some of that technology available on the Silverado?

I like the 3 panel windows.

I wish companys would bring back the second window on the door that turn outwards like the old trucks used to have.

I like the 3 panel windows.

I wish companys would bring back the second window on the door that turn outwards like the old trucks used to have.

This. And not just on trucks, they need to put them on cars as well. My '89 Lincoln has them but they are powered not manual. It's nice to have it cracked to let some fresh air in!

The Chevy's odd front-end treatment aside, the trucks look OK-ish, but GM should have at least ditched the square wheel wells. They really date the trucks and the huge expanses of space under there don't do any favours stylistically.

But I suppose if they do what they're supposed to people will still buy them.

Can someone explain to me why these trucks needed to be bigger? Whenever I see someone driving a huge truck, they look like they're compensating for something. The size is ridiculous, and not very usable. When the bed is that high, it's not very easy to put heavy or bulky stuff in it.

Well, I would understand that if someone was going to lift it and add more springs so it could hold more weight but that aside I'm not sure. I really don't like these scrawny tires on any of them....especially for off roading....don't need them to pop if I were to hit a sharp rock in the dirt.

Well, I would understand that if someone was going to lift it and add more springs so it could hold more weight but that aside I'm not sure. I really don't like these scrawny tires on any of them....especially for off roading....don't need them to pop if I were to hit a sharp rock in the dirt.

I'm going to guess the most off-road a vast majority of trucks see is nothing more than a dirt road or a driveway covered with leaves.

The tires aren't skinny by any means either, the 2012 Silverado had OEM tires that ranged in width from 245 to 275. The reason you don't see massive tires on OEM vehicles though is because a vast majority of buyer don't want really loud tires that have poor highway handling. Not to mention larger, off-road tires are very expensive and would add to the price of the truck. You also have to take into account fuel economy as well. When mpg numbers is something the average buyer looks at you want your vehicle to have the best ones out there. Selling a truck with big, chunky tires will reduce the mpg by a few digits.

I'm going to guess the most off-road a vast majority of trucks see is nothing more than a dirt road or a driveway covered with leaves.

The tires aren't skinny by any means either, the 2012 Silverado had OEM tires that ranged in width from 245 to 275. The reason you don't see massive tires on OEM vehicles though is because a vast majority of buyer don't want really loud tires that have poor highway handling. Not to mention larger, off-road tires are very expensive and would add to the price of the truck. You also have to take into account fuel economy as well. When mpg numbers is something the average buyer looks at you want your vehicle to have the best ones out there. Selling a truck with big, chunky tires will reduce the mpg by a few digits.

I did think that most of them don't see off road, but all your points are valid.

Can someone explain to me why these trucks needed to be bigger? Whenever I see someone driving a huge truck, they look like they're compensating for something. The size is ridiculous, and not very usable. When the bed is that high, it's not very easy to put heavy or bulky stuff in it.

Doesn't look any bigger, or taller than the previous generation.

Pics of the regular cab version of the new Sierra.
2014-GMC-Sierra-Regular-Cab-2%25255B4%25255D.jpg

2014-GMC-Sierra-Regular-Cab-3%25255B4%25255D.jpg

The images come from a GM press release that focuses on busting "myths" about pickup trucks having poor aerodynamics.

As for the aerodynamics part, GM says that the 2014 Sierra spent more development time in a wind tunnel than any GMC pickup before it, thus being both more fuel-efficient and quieter inside. The release notes that keeping the tailgate up is better for the aerodynamics than rolling with it lowered. As air flows over the truck, it falls over the cab and pushes forward on the rear of the truck. With the tailgate down, the benefits of that airflow are diminished.
GM says that adding soft tonneau covers and running boards can also help improve the overall aerodynamics.
Carscoops

Latest Posts

Back