Go Retro With This Week's Group 5 Project CARS 2 Community Event

This is the discussion thread for a recent post on GTPlanet:
This article was published by Brendan Rorrison (@Brend) on February 5th, 2018 in the Project CARS 2 category.
Nice, I think I'll give this one a go. Lots of power and little grip:tup:

EDIT: Just checked the leaderboard and it seems both ABS and TC are allowed:tdown:👎...although the top time is set without either one:tup:👍

SMS also misspelled "Zackspeed" [sic] on the leaderboard:lol:

Last edited:

EDIT: Just checked the leaderboard and it seems both ABS and TC are allowed:tdown:👎...although the top time is set without either one:tup:👍

Also refer to the Capri livery as "Renault Sport #1"... :lol:

I loved this one, really enjoyed this combination between Brno GP and the Ford Capri. In some exits the car can be a bit difficult to be controlled, especially with a controller, but in the end is very amusing when you get used to it.

Last edited:

I do not know if you or others players here will agree with me, but I think SMS should put a general ranking and another separate ranking just for players who use aids, or those who don't. The same goes for for those who play with steering wheel and a controller, we would have a more objective view of the conditions of each player and their times, something like equaling the equals. I think it would be more interesting.

I do not know if you or others players here will agree with me, but I think SMS should put a general ranking and another separate ranking just for players who use aids, or those who don't. The same goes for for those who play with steering wheel and a controller, we would have a more objective view of the conditions of each player and their times, something like equaling the equals. I think it would be more interesting.
Absolutely. The RSR Live Timing leaderboards for AC are fully sortable by controller type and tires used and have what's called a "Pro" ranking, which is sorted into three levels from Factory aids to everything off. Funny that a free third party app is far more comprehensive than that included with a game. You'd think SMS would be subbing out this kind of work to the guys at RSR or something similar. I'm sure they'd do it for a relative song.

Absolutely. The RSR Live Timing leaderboards for AC are fully sortable by controller type and tires used and have what's called a "Pro" ranking, which is sorted into three levels from Factory aids to everything off. Funny that a free third party app is far more comprehensive than that included with a game. You'd think SMS would be subbing out this kind of work to the guys at RSR or something similar. I'm sure they'd do it for a relative song.

Exactly! I never understood why they never implemented a detailed system like this before. I think in a game where milliseconds make all the difference, the more information, the better. One way to improve is to analyze the understandings of better players under the same circumstances, especially with more complete data. Would add so much to the value of time trials.

It's been stated that Sony was the reason that SMS wasn't allowed to develop such leader board filtering. Far too many possibilities and thus why I believe the SRS Live timing is third party and specific to PC.

It's been stated that Sony was the reason that SMS wasn't allowed to develop such leader board filtering. Far too many possibilities and thus why I believe the SRS Live timing is third party and specific to PC.

For real? Did they gave any reason for this prohibition?

For real? Did they gave any reason for this prohibition?
I remember them mentioning it was something server-related, that they couldn't support so many different leaderboards for every car/track combo. Seems like BS but I don't know how the sausage is made...

Really fun car to drive this week though. Doubt my 1:58.3 will hold up for long

I remember them mentioning it was something server-related, that they couldn't support so many different leaderboards for every car/track combo. Seems like BS but I don't know how the sausage is made...

Really fun car to drive this week though. Doubt my 1:58.3 will hold up for long
1:58.3 is outstanding. I'm at 1:58.9 but in checking the leaderboards I found out both ABS and TC was on, when I had the aids set to Factory and this car sure didn't come with either one. I was spinning the wheels in 2nd and 3rd gear and locking them up constantly so I don't see how they were on but I'll have to figure out how to get them off and give it another go.

My default is always ABS on and TC off for all cars (even if they have no ABS in real life....). I have to play around with that and see if it make sense to change e.g. ABS on/off. In AC I have TC off and ABS factory. A bit off topic but now we're talking about ABS --> When a classic car hasno ABS and you have ABS turned on does that have any influence?

Now I have to find about >1 sec again :) EDIT: partially found it

Last edited:
My default is always ABS on and TC off for all cars (even if they have no ABS in real life....). I have to play around with that and see if it make sense to change e.g. ABS on/off. In AC I have TC off and ABS factory. A bit off topic but now we're talking about ABS --> When a classic car hasno ABS and you have ABS turned on does that have any influence?

Now I have to find about >1 sec again :) EDIT: partially found it
I just started playing PCARS2 a couple of weeks ago so I'm not sure how it all works. My options are set to factory or whatever the term is in game and I assumed that would take care of every car but apparently not. I guess I have to manually turn if off with the keyboard. Still, I can't see how they were actually on, given the number of times I spun into a barrier or locked up the front end and plowed through a corner:crazy:.

If you run "Real Assists" then Time Trial and Community Events will lock your assists to whatever the car had in real life. You cannot (or at least, should not) be able to turn them on and off during the session. It is, however, perfectly allowed to enable whatever assists you like, manually, before starting the TT/Event and it will use those assists.

Before anybody cries foul, it is positively encouraged that people take part in events and time-trials and, as such, excluding the ability to use whatever assists you like, will exclude a number of people from taking part. Not everybody is superhuman. If somebody beats you, using assists, you can either sit proud knowing that you did the best that you could or you can enable the same assists and go beat that person. I had this happen to me back during pCARS1 testing ...

Disgruntled Person
I bet you can't beat my time around x in the y car with a default setup
Me
I bet I can ... 10 minutes later ... Done!
Disgruntled Person
Well, you only beat my time because you enabled ABS
Me
I still beat you :P . Besides, the real car has ABS so where's the problem?

Some people are far too precious about driver assists, almost to the point that they sincerely believe that people who use them are inferior. It's a game, get over it. If you want to drive without assists, do so. If you want to drive with real assists, do so. If you want to drive with whatever assists you want, do so. Just drive the cars in whatever way makes you happy, that's all that matters :)

One more thing. If you enable 'Real Assists', your time will appear in the PC leaderboards showing ABS, TC and SC enabled. It does not mean they were.

Last edited:
One more thing. If you enable 'Real Assists', your time will appear in the PC leaderboards showing ABS, TC and SC enabled. It does not mean they were.
Errr what?:eek:. Is this a known glitch of some kind?

Errr what?:eek:. Is this a known glitch of some kind?
I think it's more like the game flags it by the assist setting, and is not coded to be able to vary it by each specific car. In other words, it's flagged because you might have ABS, TCS, or SCS.

I kind of do the Real Assists thing manually, by having ABS bound to a button, while using the ICM to toggle SCS (which also turns on TCS) if I happen to be driving a contemporary hypercar or whatever. Otherwise, with Real Assists enabled, I found it too cumbersome to disable TCS/SCS on cars like the GT86.

Another fun one! The car was actually slightly easier to control than I expected it to be. I hadn't driven this car in PC2 before last night, but I remember I always found it hard to tame in PC1.

haha for a couple of days I thought that I set a reasonable time with my 1:57:779 and then that moment you watch the leaderboard for this challenge on a Saturday morning (CET) and a 1:54:502 is popping up. Well done Magras! I'm back with both feet on the ground.
Unfortunately no time to improve right now because of other duties. I better obey my boss (aka wife) ;)

EDIT: After a hard day of work I did some extra hotlaps before going to bed and managed a 1:56:659. Happy with this improvement and that's it also for me.

Last edited:
Yeah that 1:54 is an insane time. I worked hard for a 1:57.0 and maybe thought I could sneak another half second in there but dang there's no way I'm getting my time that low

Back