God Of War 20th April 2018PS4 

• Thread starter torque99
  • 35 comments
England
England
This has some great reviews rolling in this week. Also there is now talk of a photo mode patched in after release. Digital Foundry and many others impressed with the great game play and stunning characters and visuals. This is not really my type of game but with such high scores I am very tempted now. 👍

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/god-of-war

2018-04-14_060059.jpg

god of war.jpg

**Some Spoilers in this video**

How old is your son? :odd:

The game looks sweet, though I'm sad it's not happening in ancient Greece anymore, since I'm Greek myself and the previous games resonated with me, knowing the mythology. From Norse mythology I only know Thor and Loki.
Nonetheless I plan to enjoy and beat it!

I'm not much of a gamer, & this is definitely not for me. However, I love Digital Foundry's analysis videos & saw their take on this game recently. I'm quite interested in the technology behind video games, & have a lot of respect for the skill it takes to squeeze performance out of different consoles using the various tricks of the trade.

@Jawehawk @BrainsBush I will have mine soon. I enjoyed HZD and UC4/TLOU so I ended up giving in to this.

Any thoughts on first impressions for you guys? Are you impressed by the visuals as much as people are saying? Are the game play battles easy to get in to but difficult to master and are there lots of puzzles? :nervous: :ill:

p.s Great news a photo mode may be coming as well soon.👍

I was taking a interest in the last week. Will wait until photomode is added and a decent sale, just because I bought a lot of PS4 exclusives since November and haven't played much of any of them because of GTS/FIFA and now PES.

First impressed as requested.

The graphics and animations are good. There's nothing thus far that has massively impressed me, but frankly, that's simply a result of us being spoiled by graphical masterpieces such as Horizon: Zero Dawn (except the facial animations which were just weird) and Uncharted 4, and so should not be taken as criticism for the game. The art direction for the enemies is pretty great thus far. I also want to give a big thumbs up to the audio, which makes your axe strikes feel really powerful. I especially love the sound effect played when you recall the axe to your hand after having tossed it. It just feels right.

Gameplay wise, it takes a surprisingly long time for your attack abilities to open up. Once you start unlocking stuff, the fights become a lot more dynamic, and you'll be kicking ass and looking good doing so. So far, the bosses have been rather simplistic. They play okay, but given how Soulsborn like the game feels on the harder difficulty, I'm kind of disappointed with how limited the movesets for the bosses are. Then again, I've only fought three of them thus far, so things might change. I'm definitely liking the standard enemy encounters.

And let's talk about that difficulty. I started the game on hard, the 2nd hardest difficulty, partially because I wanted a challenge, and partially because I figured there would be a trophy tied to it. First off, there are no trophies tied to difficulty, so any fellow trophy hunters can rest at ease knowing that the hardest difficulty, which is supposedly insane, isn't mandatory for the Platinum. Second, while the hard difficulty makes the standard enemy encounters feel very Soulsborn like, in the sense that you really can't survive a lot of hit and have to constantly be on your guard, it makes certain special enemies absolutely awful to fight against. One type of enemy simply kills you outright in one hit, regardless of your health or if you're blocking. Add a large health pool and super armor that makes it nearly impossible to stagger him, and you're left with what can only be called horrible game design. There's only one way to fight these guys. bait one of their two attacks, and then get in a single hit before retreating to a safe distance. Keep doing this 20 plus times, until they die. It's just not fun to play a game like this, and so when I died while fighting two of same at the same time, just one hit away from killing one of them, and having brought the other one down to half health, I decided to lower the difficulty one notch, They're not hard to fight. Their attacks are clearly telegraphed and slow. But the amount of time it takes to bring them down, combined with how painfully boring it is to fight them, just sucks all the fun out of the game.

As for puzzles, I haven't encountered that many, and those I have encountered have been easy to the point of not having much reason for existing. Fine with me though, as I mostly never cared for puzzles in videogames.

On a final note. Kratos is a lot more interesting this time around. It's too early to tell if the story is good, but thus far, I'm liking the direction they've taken with his character.

Last edited:
@Jawehawk @BrainsBush I will have mine soon. I enjoyed HZD and UC4/TLOU so I ended up giving in to this.

Any thoughts on first impressions for you guys? Are you impressed by the visuals as much as people are saying? Are the game play battles easy to get in to but difficult to master and are there lots of puzzles? :nervous: :ill:

p.s Great news a photo mode may be coming as well soon.👍
I've not played it yet. My son took GoW with him to a bunch of friends and haven't seen him the last days. It's oooh so quiet here

Thus far, I've seen no indication of a chapter select being present. Perhaps once finishing the game, one will be able to travel freely, but I doubt it.

I have to praise Santa Monica Studios a bit here, and I'll include a spoiler tag just in case.

Their rendition of the Bifrost is one of the most amazing things I've ever experienced in all of gaming. It looks absolutely phenomenal and is a testament to the terrific art direction of the game. just returned from Alfheim, and I can't wait to visit the other realms.

This game is really quite remarkable. Been quite a while since I have enjoyed a game as much as this.
I haven't played any racing game, since I started with God of war. I am a big fan of the original trilogy. For someone who doesn't play online that much im happy that single player gaming is still going strong. Especially when it seems PUGB and fortnite have been dominating in the gaming industry these days.

I was curious if it tied in with the previous games at all, since most folks were saying this was a reboot. Basically what I'm asking is if I should bother finishing the other games before getting this?

I was curious if it tied in with the previous games at all, since most folks were saying this was a reboot. Basically what I'm asking is if I should bother finishing the other games before getting this?

It is, although, so far, I wouldn't say it's necessary to have played the earlier games. They're beneficial for allowing you to understand how Kratos thinks. I've only played GoW 3, but so far, and I know some of the story of the earlier games, and so far, there's been no references to the older games that left me bewildered.

I finished my first play through and started my second one. Now without HUD at all and "give me a challenge" difficulty mode. I'm finding it easier than my first play through and I'm wondering if I should go for the "give me god of war" but I don't want to get stuck in some random place/fight. ^^ What a pleasure this game is!

I didn't play any of the previous GoW games but this one is quite amazing. The combat is very deep. Only morons will say its repetitive...it someone doesn't invest some time into exploring it, sure. But any game is repetitive to those smashing buttons. My favorite combat games are Bloodborne and Dark Souls and I don't find GoW shallow or easy.

The story is very well written, the voice acting is superb (I've played my first play through in english and the second in portuguese and the portuguese kid's voice actor is pretty bad and the localization is not very well made unfortunately).

The world is amazing. The amount of details, different atmospheres and color palettes makes everything comes to live in such a unique way. Really amazing.

Only negative thing to me is the lack of variety in boss fights. I was expecting something more epic. But I just came from Bloodborne, so my bar was set pretty high. Hopefully the fight fights (Thor, Odin, Freya (?) will come in a sequel).

I played the original trilogy and must say it isn't really that necessary, but will let you fully understand his motivations and his "mellow" behaviour in Gow 2018. The original are also awesome! The origin of his white skin (don't want to spoil if you don't know) is also explained. Lets just say the world serpent is not that big, compared to what he faced before in Greece.

I find it difficult to tell how far I am in the game. I'm mostly enjoying it, but frankly, the game would've been better without the entirely unnecessary RPG elements. They add nothing but filler to the game. Also, thus far, I'm thoroughly disappointed in the boss fights. I liked the very first one, but mainly they're just extremely simple fights. Just about all standard enemies in Bloodborne have more attack variety than any of the bosses in GoW.
You'd think they would've put a little more effort into the bosses considering that they are one of the main draws of the franchise...

I didn't play any of the previous GoW games but this one is quite amazing. The combat is very deep. Only morons will say its repetitive...it someone doesn't invest some time into exploring it, sure. But any game is repetitive to those smashing buttons. My favorite combat games are Bloodborne and Dark Souls and I don't find GoW shallow or easy.
el).

There's nothing "deep" about the combat. It's fun, and there's weight to it, but it contains very little actual strategy, even on the "challenge me" difficulty. It doesn't help that a lot of the new skills that you can unlock are either flat increases in damage output, which should never ever be considered a skill, or a very slight variation of an existing animation.

I'm so utterly disappointed that you can't ever visit half of the realms shown within the Bifrost. I was so psyched to see what they'd do with Asgard, but that place doesn't even feature in the game, aside from the Bifrost table teasing it to the player.

Lastly, for anyone wishing to post photos of the game. Terronium-12 has opened a dedicate photo thread, so please use it. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/god-of-war-photo-mode-thread.377646/#post-12300620

Last edited:
I finished my first play through and started my second one. Now without HUD at all and "give me a challenge" difficulty mode. I'm finding it easier than my first play through and I'm wondering if I should go for the "give me god of war" but I don't want to get stuck in some random place/fight. ^^ What a pleasure this game is!

The story is very well written, the voice acting is superb (I've played my first play through in english and the second in portuguese and the portuguese kid's voice actor is pretty bad and the localization is not very well made unfortunately).

The world is amazing. The amount of details, different atmospheres and color palettes makes everything comes to live in such a unique way. Really amazing.

Only negative thing to me is the lack of variety in boss fights. I was expecting something more epic. But I just came from Bloodborne, so my bar was set pretty high. Hopefully the fight fights (Thor, Odin, Freya (?) will come in a sequel).
Gow 3 is epic!

Great storyline, eye popping jaw dropping graphics. Still have to learn the RPG elements. Now I'm just clicking to strenghten the axe. The close up when you are in close contact with the huge "animals". This is a very welcome game in between the racings sims. And also very nerve breaking....:scared:

Great storyline, eye popping jaw dropping graphics. Still have to learn the RPG elements. Now I'm just clicking to strenghten the axe. The close up when you are in close contact with the huge "animals". This is a very welcome game in between the racings sims. And also very nerve breaking....:scared:

Finally finished the story and compelled to keep playing it (73% complete). Even considering another play through on a higher difficulty (played on give me a balanced experience). I also was wondering if you can max out kratos’s Stats. If you never tried the originals, just playing god of war 3 remastered should suffice. It is more hack and slash, but if you thought god war 2018 was epic... gow 3 might give you an idea what will happen to Odin and Thor in the sequels. Also read in an interview Kratos might be visiting Egyptian and Mayan mythology.

The game is almost perfect for me. I normally not a fan of hardcore RPG, so my personal gripe is that the rpg elements are a bit too complex for me. I also don’t own a 85 inch tv so the text is still too small for my taste (even after update). And I have perfectly good vision. But my biggest problem with the game is... I haven’t simraced since I got the game!:lol:

Completed the game last night. Very good game, but would've been better without the RPG elements. Interestingly, the attempt at challenging fights, such as the Valkyries, are among the worst parts of the game, primarily because reading enemy movements is handled poorly. The camera being close to Kratos makes for some very intense combat and looks really good and detailed, but it also makes it really hard to see what the harder enemies are actually doing, especially if they're in the air. Additionally, the harder optional encounters rely more on being a sufficiently high level than being good at the game mechanics. The lock on camera is particularly bad when dealing with flying enemies or enemies that move around a lot.

The boss designs (mechanically, not visually) are among some of the most boring moments in the game... All you're doing is hacking away at a damage sponge, occasionally avoiding one of the two or three different attacks the bosses have. They're tedious...

-The Bifrost is so bloody amazing in the game, but I cannot overstate my disappointment with the worlds you visit. Really, Midgard and Alfheim are the only interesting places. The remaining realms are unimaginative and boring.

- Freja just plain sucks, and I don't buy her love for her son at all. It's utter nonsense how far she's willing to go for someone who detests her with his every fiber.

Back