GODZILLA ~ Directed By Gareth Edwards ~ Release May 15, 2014

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 207 comments
@FoolKiller:
If anything, I thought Ford was the luckiest man alive. How many times did he nearly die encountering the MUTOs, even head on, literally? I guess he was supposed to be something like humanity's "Godzilla". The 2 shared so many near-death moments, but miraculously overcame them within hours/minutes. :P
My complaints have nothing to do with the symbolisms in the movie. I'm well aware of what Godzilla stands for. But that alone does not a good movie make. And like it or not, it is in the same genre as Pacific Rim. Sure, it has a deeper meaning, but the premise and story is every bit as silly. Difference is that Pacific Rim knew it was silly and thus didn't take itself too serious. Godzilla is the other way around. Thinking it is more than it is.
Godzilla's story was every bit more well put together than Pacific Rim. The approach Edwards took was in every way, more unique than 95% of every other monster movie; it wasn't from a 3rd person view & the monsters weren't out for blood. The story was obviously not probable, but it made more sense in recognizing that humanity would never stand a chance against such creatures instead of acting that if we build giant robots, we may win & even then, it was coincidentally done just barely, though the task to do it was incredibly unrealistic. That's the difference between the 2. There is a recognition of defeat by nature than humanity going Gundam on Aliens to win once more in the monster genre. We're not invincible, if anything, the exact opposite.

To act like Pacific Rim was actually better because it wasn't as serious is a joke. The movie was riddled with terrible plot holes & logic (The idea of a wall was about the funniest thing I'd ever seen against monsters that were proven beforehand as being incredibly strong or could even fly :lol: ).

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree. Pacific Rim was a joke. Its only saving grace was that it was so hilariously bad that you could take pleasure in making fun of it. ROCKET ELBOW!

Godzilla was so much better. Cranston was amazing, but the movie fell completely flat as far as the humans were involved once they hit American soil. The guy that played Ford Brody is a complete bore. What a dull actor. He had a poker face the entire movie. And neither he nor his wife were convincing parents. Was their son supposed to be autistic? Because that's kind of the feeling I got from it all-- like they were just watching some kid.

The only other complaint is how much of a complete failure this movie is on biology and nuclear weapons. Hollywood really ought to hire some biologist/physicist consultants when they make their movies. Spoilers below:

If the San Francisco bomb really went off, then everyone in the city should have radiation sickness and burns. Is the Navy seriously that stupid that they'd nuke these monsters right off the coast of San Francisco? And with the same bomb that didn't even put a scratch on Godzilla at Castle Bravo? Seriously? Didn't Ken Watanabe's character know that MONARCH nuked Godzilla and failed? Why didn't he say anything?

They say the MUTOs are parasites. What? They look like god damn monsters to me. To what are they parasites? I'd like to know because that means there's something big as hell still down there. But Godzilla is supposed to be the apex predator. What does that mean? He didn't eat either of the MUTOs. What kind of predator kills its "prey" and then dips out before lunch? That's just silly. Nothing in this movie made sense biologically. At least in Pacific Rim their excuse was aliens.

Should you see the movie? Yes, if you like monsters and special effects and action. I hope the next one is going to be more monster fighting and less herp derp military.

Saw this yesterday at my cinema and all I can say is...

OMFG ATOMIC BREATH VAPOURISING THAT MUTO'S NECK!!!!! Seriously, I need a GIF of that as my profile pic.

All in all, I thought it was better than I expected to be.

Considering GODZILLA is actually a serious movie opposed to Pacific Rims high-jinks capers. 2 hours nowadays isn't considered really long either. And the soundtrack I thought was epic, and effects and visually it was very inventive and good.

Indeed, the story in Godzilla is serious. Too bad it's also pathetic, filled with horrible dialogue, characters, and consistantly stupid decisions by the people in the movie.

And to McLaren, this might come as a shock to you, but in the real world, the military would wipe the floor with these monsters. Just like they would've wiped the floor with the ones in Pacific Rim. You're also mistaken if you think I'm defending the story or characters of Pacific Rim. I'm not. It was an enjoyable action movie, and nothing else. It does what it needs to, and nothing else.

Godzilla tries to build suspense, and fails horribly in my opinion. Monsters that are super stealthy until someone gets a visual is beyond stupid.

The only terrible decision I saw on the part of the military was transporting a "national asset" via a series of rails that could be destroyed with nothing more than a hacksaw and a couple hours. Well, that and firing at the skyscraper sized monster with smallarms while standing right next to a group of civilians. Creating a distraction doesn't work when you're standing next to the people you're distracting it from.

Yeah, I agree. Pacific Rim was a joke. Its only saving grace was that it was so hilariously bad that you could take pleasure in making fun of it. ROCKET ELBOW!

Godzilla was so much better. Cranston was amazing, but the movie fell completely flat as far as the humans were involved once they hit American soil. The guy that played Ford Brody is a complete bore. What a dull actor. He had a poker face the entire movie. And neither he nor his wife were convincing parents. Was their son supposed to be autistic? Because that's kind of the feeling I got from it all-- like they were just watching some kid.

The only other complaint is how much of a complete failure this movie is on biology and nuclear weapons. Hollywood really ought to hire some biologist/physicist consultants when they make their movies. Spoilers below:

If the San Francisco bomb really went off, then everyone in the city should have radiation sickness and burns. Is the Navy seriously that stupid that they'd nuke these monsters right off the coast of San Francisco? And with the same bomb that didn't even put a scratch on Godzilla at Castle Bravo? Seriously? Didn't Ken Watanabe's character know that MONARCH nuked Godzilla and failed? Why didn't he say anything?

They say the MUTOs are parasites. What? They look like god damn monsters to me. To what are they parasites? I'd like to know because that means there's something big as hell still down there. But Godzilla is supposed to be the apex predator. What does that mean? He didn't eat either of the MUTOs. What kind of predator kills its "prey" and then dips out before lunch? That's just silly. Nothing in this movie made sense biologically. At least in Pacific Rim their excuse was aliens.

Should you see the movie? Yes, if you like monsters and special effects and action. I hope the next one is going to be more monster fighting and less herp derp military.
Regarding the first point, the military's argument is that the bomb they plan to use compared to the last is bigger. "This one makes the last one look like a firecracker". You're right, though.
Indeed, the story in Godzilla is serious. Too bad it's also pathetic, filled with horrible dialogue, characters, and consistantly stupid decisions by the people in the movie.
Like Pacific Rim? Perhaps start giving some reasoning instead of just saying it's pathetic over and over. It may actually give your posts a point.
And to McLaren, this might come as a shock to you, but in the real world, the military would wipe the floor with these monsters. Just like they would've wiped the floor with the ones in Pacific Rim. You're also mistaken if you think I'm defending the story or characters of Pacific Rim. I'm not. It was an enjoyable action movie, and nothing else. It does what it needs to, and nothing else.
I'd love to see some evidence to support that we would do just that in the real world if movies already set the basis that they can survive nuclear bombs being dropped on them. I bet billionaires could also be very well capable of becoming unstoppable vigilantes. :lol:
Godzilla tries to build suspense, and fails horribly in my opinion. Monsters that are super stealthy until someone gets a visual is beyond stupid.
Godzilla was never shown as stealthy. He was shown as being so large from our perspective (again, b/c the movie is our POV), that all you saw were bits & pieces of his body.

What fails horribly is your ability to understand a basic movie concept; building suspense. Godzilla does it very well because you see him throughout the movie, you just never get an idea of his size until the end.

Can someone remind @Jawehawk that the kaiju eiga genre has had it's fair share of stinkers. Part of the premise of Godzilla of Edwards is to create a world where it is possible for it to happen. The 60's films were set in a world intended not be nitty gritty serious (with the exception of the original Gojira but more as an escapist film from reality, a "what-if" world.)

Oh and the military kill Godzilla? Please. A Nuclear weapon cannot kill him. Only human-oriented device that successfully killed Godzilla in films was the fictional Oxygen Destroyer.

Last edited:
The only terrible decision I saw on the part of the military was transporting a "national asset" via a series of rails that could be destroyed with nothing more than a hacksaw and a couple hours. Well, that and firing at the skyscraper sized monster with smallarms while standing right next to a group of civilians. Creating a distraction doesn't work when you're standing next to the people you're distracting it from.

That was the only option. They couldn't fly it because of the EMP threat. If the plane goes down, boom goes the dynamite. They couldn't drive it because the infrastructure was destroyed and people are using the remaining roads to evacuate. Stick it on a good ol' mechanical, diesel locomotive so it's immune to EMP. The Little Engine That Could (blow up at any second).

That was the only option. They couldn't fly it because of the EMP threat. If the plane goes down, boom goes the dynamite. They couldn't drive it because the infrastructure was destroyed and people are using the remaining roads to evacuate. Stick it on a good ol' mechanical, diesel locomotive so it's immune to EMP. The Little Engine That Could (blow up at any second).
But then they show it being transported by helicopter? Thought that was weird.

But then they show it being transported by helicopter? Thought that was weird.

Me too. Maybe it's because helicopters without power can just autorotate down to safety. No sense in nitpicking though-- it was still all over the place as far as plausibility.

To act like Pacific Rim was actually better because it wasn't as serious is a joke. The movie was riddled with terrible plot holes & logic (The idea of a wall was about the funniest thing I'd ever seen against monsters that were proven beforehand as being incredibly strong or could even fly :lol: ).
The wall was an idea thought up by politicians. I don't see how illogical that is. :P

Also, I'd like to think that Pacific Rim was like Ultraman done right. As a kid I thought Ultraman was lame because man in a suit vs man in a suit is all kinds of lame. The idea was cool, but the execution sucked. So I see Pacific Rim as sort of a proper Ultraman and I liked it.
You're doing it wrong, it's ELBOW ROCKET!!!
Exactly, but not quite though. If the plane goes down they just pick it up with a helicopter or something. Nukes don't explode on impact. :P

Last edited:
Exactly, but not quite though. If the plane goes down they just pick it up with a helicopter or something. Nukes don't explode on impact. :P

No, but the bomb or arming device could be destroyed on impact.

(contains spoilers)

I think you misunderstood me. It's literally impossible for a living organism to survive the direct impact of a nuclear blast. I simply can't suspend my disbelief to such an extend. But this is what I meant with the military wiping the floor with them. It's simply not physically possible for something to survive this kind of force.

On several occasions in the movie, the monters literally just pop out of nowhere, making no sound until someone has visual contact. This is what I meant with them being stealthy. It's in my opinion, absurd that these 100 plus meter tall monsters can't be heard when moving about, unless of course someone has eyes on them. This just isn't possible.

The story is paper thin, yet wants to be taken seriously. The characters were also paper thin, yet aparently they wanted me to care for them. Other than the symbolism of Godzilla, there's no real substance here. yet the movie relies on this non-existant substance throughout much of the movie. There isn't a lot of action to be found, and what action there is, is just so meh. As in, I've seen it before. Only better.

Why would a train be better than a helicopter? The train they were using was just as fragile to EMP as any helicopter would be (in fact, you can EMP secure helicopters and other equipment). And there's nothing stopping them from simply flying around the monsters... Using a train was the least sensible decision possible.

Also, aren't EMP's, or at least powerful ones, supposed to knock out electronics permanently? The pulses certainly looked like they were significant, so how come power always came back? And how can the monsters even do this?
Why is Godzilla so interested in killing them? They give the vague explaination of it being nature's way of restoring balance, but I kind of need more than that.

Why would soldiers after seeing that their guns do literally nothing but piss off the monster, continue shooting? They weren't even buying time for anything. Also, The Dark Knight Rises ending.... Seriously....

(contains spoilers)

Last edited:
Why didn't you use [color][/.color] (remove the dot) tags for that post, instead of spoiling it? 👎

No, but the bomb or arming device could be destroyed on impact.
Yeah, that's the logical thought. Though from the movie, we learn that the warhead is quite the tough one having survive a fall from great heights when the train was destroyed and being grabbed and tossed around by the MUTO. I get your point though. 👍

I think you misunderstood me. It's literally impossible for a living organism to survive the direct impact of a nuclear blast.
It's also impossible for living organisms of such sheer size to survive under our earth's gravitational pull. Show's over, the end. :rolleyes:

The train runs on steam/coal which doesn't require electricity.

BTW, you mentioned you've seen better action before, where might I ask?

Last edited:
DK
Why didn't you use [color][/.color] (remove the dot) tags for that post, instead of spoiling it? 👎

My post very clearly displays "Contains spoilers", so if someone who haven't seen the movie decided to read it and then gets mad that I spoiled it for them, they're idiots.

And the reason I didn't do the white color thing was because I forgot how. Following your tip doesn't seem to work. Wher the hell does one put the actual "color"?

Nevermind the fact that several other people have posted a few spoilers without any kind of spoiler warning in the latest couple of posts, regarding the transportation of a certain device.

It's also impossible for living organisms of such sheer size to survive under our earth's

gravitational pull. Show's over, the end. :rolleyes:

The train runs on steam/coal which doesn't require electricity.

BTW, you mentioned you've seen better action before, where might I ask?

Didn't know that. Can't say it's something I would have a hard time suspending my disbelief over though. Funny thing is that some things you can suspend your disbelief over and some things you can't. I'd say that's true for everyone. It's perfectly fine if you can suspend your disbelief to such an extend, but not everyone has to.

Fair enough about the train. A helicopter would've still been the far better option. Faster too.

In this genre, I definately enjoyed Pacific Rim more. The story and characters could be brushed aside in favor of spectacular effects. Other than equally bad dialogue and a bit too long runtime, I'd say Pacific Rim is superior in every way.

If we're just going with monster movies, I loved Cloverfield. Actually can't recall any other recent monster flicks other than the already mentioned. How about Spiders? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1659216/reference

Now that's an instant classic :lol::lol::lol:
(seriously, don't watch it. It's atrocious)

Last edited:
And the reason I didn't do the white color thing was because I forgot how. Following your tip doesn't seem to work. Wher the hell does one put the actual "color"?
You need to have color=white in your first set of brackets.

I'd say Pacific Rim is superior in every way.
I felt the only difference between Pacific Rim and a movie from The Asylum was budget.

If we're just going with monster movies, I loved Cloverfield.
I enjoyed Cloverfield as well.

Actually can't recall any other recent monster flicks other than the already mentioned.
Does Super 8 count?

Eight-Legged Freaks is better.

@Omnis spoils text on:

Watanabe's character did point out the previously failed nuke test. Captain Hampton said this was megatons vs kilotons and they expected the concussive blast to kill them, which makes sense, considering how the male MUTO died.

And you do know the guy that played Joe Brody was Kick Ass, right?

And his wife in the movie is the younger sister of the Olsen Twins, and will be Scarlet Witch in Avengers 2.

Get used to them. I fear they'll be around for a bit.

You need to have color=white in your first set of brackets.

Cheers. Post edited.

I felt the only difference between Pacific Rim and a movie from The Asylum was budget.

That, and the fact that Pacific Rim had decent actors and didn't spoof any other movies.
But I get the point, and in some ways, I do agree.

I enjoyed Cloverfield as well.

Then you and I shall be buddies! :cheers:

Does Super 8 count?

In my opinion. No. It is a monster flick, but not a giant monster flick. Also, I have to say I found it really boring.

Eight-Legged Freaks is better.

Eight-Legged Freaks was awesome for what it was. Not 10 minutes went by without me laughing when I first watched that movie. The movie I linked to is just awful. As in literally nothing good about it. It does, however, have some of the funniest scenes I've ever seen where the actors barely even attempt to react to the CGI spiders that are eating them.

@FoolKiller That makes no sense because Hiroshima was a kiloton, while castle bravo was 15 megatons. That officer had the wrong bomb.

And I know the main actor was from kickass. I predict he'll have a career like Sam Worthington. In everything for a year or two and then gone from the face of the earth.

And I know the main actor was from kickass. I predict he'll have a career like Sam Worthington. In everything for a year or two and then gone from the face of the earth.

Then again, he is going to be Quicksilver in The Avengers: Age of Ultron.

That, and the fact that Pacific Rim had decent actors and didn't spoof any other movies.
Bigger budget = decent actors. And The Asylum makes plenty of non-spoofs, like anything feature Mega Shark or Sharknados. That said, I need to see Atlantic Rim.

Eight-Legged Freaks was awesome for what it was. Not 10 minutes went by without me laughing when I first watched that movie. The movie I linked to is just awful. As in literally nothing good about it. It does, however, have some of the funniest scenes I've ever seen where the actors barely even attempt to react to the CGI spiders that are eating them.
Please tell me you like MST3K.

@FoolKiller That makes no sense because Hiroshima was a kiloton, while castle bravo was 15 megatons. That officer had the wrong bomb.

Omnis DeGrasse Tyson: Buzzkill of Science

Then again, he is going to be Quicksilver in The Avengers: Age of Ultron.
Wait...two of the main actors here are both new characters in Avengers? Aaaaaahhhhhh!

(contains spoilers)
I think you misunderstood me. It's literally impossible for a living organism to survive the direct impact of a nuclear blast. I simply can't suspend my disbelief to such an extend. But this is what I meant with the military wiping the floor with them. It's simply not physically possible for something to survive this kind of force.
It's also literally impossible for something so large as Godzilla to even exist unnoticed or breath atomic breath. :rolleyes:
On several occasions in the movie, the monters literally just pop out of nowhere, making no sound until someone has visual contact. This is what I meant with them being stealthy. It's in my opinion, absurd that these 100 plus meter tall monsters can't be heard when moving about, unless of course someone has eyes on them. This just isn't possible.
You'll have to cite a scene, then. Most of the time the monsters were shown, they were already on the move.
The story is paper thin, yet wants to be taken seriously. The characters were also paper thin, yet aparently they wanted me to care for them. Other than the symbolism of Godzilla, there's no real substance here. yet the movie relies on this non-existant substance throughout much of the movie. There isn't a lot of action to be found, and what action there is, is just so meh. As in, I've seen it before. Only better.
Possibly the most vague description of the story ever.
Also, aren't EMP's, or at least powerful ones, supposed to knock out electronics permanently? The pulses certainly looked like they were significant, so how come power always came back? And how can the monsters even do this?
Why is Godzilla so interested in killing them? They give the vague explaination of it being nature's way of restoring balance, but I kind of need more than that.
This goes back to the first point you made; you're complaining about the monsters abilities' when the monsters themselves shouldn't even exist. It's like asking how does Superman breathe in space.
Other than equally bad dialogue and a bit too long runtime, I'd say Pacific Rim is superior in every way.
Negative. The only difference is you don't know what suspense is since Pacific Rim jumped right into the action.
If we're just going with monster movies, I loved Cloverfield.
So Godzilla fails on building the suspense, yet you loved a Monster movie that tried that same concept by keeping him hidden til' the end & wasn't anything special in the end besides how he looked.

Enough said on your judgement of the movie.

Never seen it. I don't think it has ever aired here in Denmark.
Three guys (one and two robots) watch old, cheesy sci-fi and horror films and make fun of them. They still sell audio tracks for first run movies on rifftrax.com.

Enough said on your judgement of the movie.

Basically, what you're saying is that you don't agree with anything I said, and thus my opinion is invalid. Gotcha.
It is a very good thing that I never asked you to agree with me then.

Basically, what you're saying is that you don't agree with anything I said, and thus my opinion is invalid. Gotcha.
Your opinion's based on the silliest reasoning I've read yet. The idea a monster can emit EMPs is completely bogus, yet you ignore the existence of monsters in the first place. Or that Pacific Rim was better because it didn't take itself seriously (despite the fact that it actually did before the movie was released and turned into a WWF movie halfway through it) & got right into the action because the concept of building suspense was a failure for Godzilla, yet completely fine in Cloverfield.

I can only come to conclusion that Godzilla was a bust because he didn't go "rock 'em, sock 'em robots" enough for you. And that's fine because you showed above you already missed what Edwards went for with this title. Out of the 3, Godzilla was the only that did proper story telling & I wouldn't recommend watching any of the past Godzillas if this one sucked for you since it pays homage to them. Except the 1998 version. Which I wouldn't be surprised if you like since it did everything different from this one.

Last edited:
Fanboys. Gotta love them. You kind of remind of me of the die-hard fans of Cristopher Nolan.
Nothing to do with being a fanboy or not; run back to the gaming forums if you want to play that card.

I'm just pointing out your dumb logic. 👍

Latest Posts

Back