GODZILLA ~ Directed By Gareth Edwards ~ Release May 15, 2014

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 207 comments
In the theaters I am going seats are always assigned and you can choose when you book the tickets. No one minds this and it works pretty good actually!

In the cinema right now!!! Movie starting in 30 minutes. Jelly ??? :P

Will post after, if it's worth it without spoilers of course ;)

Jelly ??? :P
lol, not really. :P

Man... did I just cry watching a Godzilla movie? I don't know what came over me but the start really got me all emotional. That Breaking Bad guy was really good. Spoilers: Next was the suspense man, the suspense! At first I thought Godzilla was gonna die because he was double teamed by the MUTOs and it looked really bleak for Godzilla, getting stabbed and all. Then he killed one MUTO, yay! But then the building collapsed on him and I thought, "noooo, what, are they really gonna kill him?" Then he came back with an OH MAH GAWD, WHAT THE HELL?!?11?1!?! ATOMIC BREATH!!!!11!! Holy crap that was epic. Then he collapsed again, and I thought, "no, they're doing it this time..." Then ATOMIC BREATH AGAIN!!111!! Then collapsed again. The suspense man. Finally got up and went back to the ocean. Godzilla is indestructible, all is right with the world. One thing though, the way the humans suddenly worked together with Godzilla came off kinda weird. It was like, "oh hey look at this giant monster, let's add him to the naval fleet." And you see Godzilla sailing with the carrier and destroyers, like wtf? it's a giant monster. All good, it was still an entertaining movie. MUTOs were really cool. Looked like they were wearing futuristic goggles a la Cyclops. Godzilla was also great. I don't think he looks fat at all but he sure is big, AND I MEAN BIG. Some scenes where you get to see the whole of him, good God that was glorious. Definitely captured the original Godzilla feel and look. Albeit bear snout still looked weird in a couple of scenes.

All in all, it was a good movie. I need to watch it again.

Last edited:
It was a good movie, money well spent. Was it the best thing since sliced bread? Nope!

But I enjoyed and it gave a powerful tension during the whole film. CGI was top and the cast of the film. Up to the middle of the movie I could give it a 9/10 (maybe 9.5) but after it there were somethings I didn't like which gives it a 7.5/10. Not bad at all ;). I don't know how to put spoiler tags so I won't give away anything :P

I cannot wait for tomorrow. Waited 8/9 years for this. I'll be a like a kid in a candy store!

I cannot wait for tomorrow. Waited 8/9 years for this. I'll be a like a kid in a candy store!

You won't be disappointed I don't think. I've just got back from seeing it.

So. Freaking. Epic.

I will write a little review when I have time.

My main gripe is:
[spoilers]

That godzilla has been shown as TOO HARMLESS for humans and for such a colossus it was very contrasting to see. Than why did they attack it so much in the 50's, if it was not attacking back? That was my only issue with the movie all the rest was pretty good!

Last edited:
My main gripe is:
[spoilers]

*snipped* to avoid any chance of reading in quote box

I had issues with that too. Also:

I get that the MUTOs feed off radiation; they said as much. But what I didn't get was why they kept hunting the bombs, since an unexploded bomb is hardly a rich source of radiation. My best reasoning is it's still better than nothing for them. Of course, I'm also confused as to why the army thought sending the nuke on a train line directly through the MUTO's path was a good idea!

Good film; the effects were fantastic, as expected. The sheer scale of destruction, and of the monsters, was definitely a highlight. There's one weak distance shot of Godzilla that looked like a little scale model (though was probably just more CGI), but that's the only spot I can remember where it wasn't convincing. It's a clever movie in that it doesn't show the monsters directly too much. There's one scene with a large reflection across a school bus' window that was particularly impressive, to me.

RE: Assigned Seats - fantastic, and I gladly pay the extra money so that I don't have to deal with the long waits, and the scramble of finding good seats. With the ever-increasing amount of pre-movie fluff, I'm already spending enough time in the theatre, I'd rather do something else than stand in line for an hour.

Not sure if this is a new thing either; since Winter Soldier, I've found cinemas in the region aren't doing the usual "midnight (00:01) screenings". We went to the 22:00 show on a Thursday night, and there had already been a 19:00 too. Odd.

Off to see the film. :) Trailer blew me away. It has to be at least better than the laugh that was Pacific Rim.

Just got back from seeing this, and...

It's fairly faithful to the original lore, but right off the bat I am not a big fan of the reverberated roar. I love it right up until that point.

I'm also none too sure why, in this reboot for the American audiences, they had him take up his later role as more of an anti-hero. I'm not saying it should taken cues straight from the original and have him be and out and out destructive antagonist, but it all seemed a little too easy in the end, almost as if they were playing it a bit too cautiously after the 1998 movie.

Also, and I'm pointing this out because I want to see if anyone else noticed it as I only caught a brief glimpse - was that a reference to the Oxygen Destroyer at the beginning or was it just the nuke they used?

The battles were grand, as were the destruction pieces. I do wish Godzilla's design was a bit more aggressive, something akin to how he appears in the Heisei or Millenium series'. I didn't dislike the design whatsoever (and I loved how dramatic his atomic breath was played upon) but I don't think it's daunting enough. I'm just nitpicking. :lol:

As mentioned already, I did like that the monsters weren't shown too much until the very end; carried a nice airy feeling of mystery with it.

I just got back from seeing this movie:

Not much to say really. In terms of visual effects and sounds it was stunning. The scene with the MUTO under the railroad bridge was epic beyond scale, as was the skydiving scene. Movie was full of huge plotholes, though. But it was money well spent, it went along great with some beers at the pub afterwards.

Just got back from seeing this, and...

It's fairly faithful to the original lore, but right off the bat I am not a big fan of the reverberated roar. I love it right up until that point.

I'm also none too sure why, in this reboot for the American audiences, they had him take up his later role as more of an anti-hero. I'm not saying it should taken cues straight from the original and have him be and out and out destructive antagonist, but it all seemed a little too easy in the end, almost as if they were playing it a bit too cautiously after the 1998 movie.

Also, and I'm pointing this out because I want to see if anyone else noticed it as I only caught a brief glimpse - was that a reference to the Oxygen Destroyer at the beginning or was it just the nuke they used?

The battles were grand, as were the destruction pieces. I do wish Godzilla's design was a bit more aggressive, something akin to how he appears in the Heisei or Millenium series'. I didn't dislike the design whatsoever (and I loved how dramatic his atomic breath was played upon) but I don't think it's daunting enough. I'm just nitpicking. :lol:

As mentioned already, I did like that the monsters weren't shown too much until the very end; carried a nice airy feeling of mystery with it.

Ok, my spoiler laden review (and i've highlighted your post for a reason T12 ;)

I think slightly too much time was spent on the human characters, or in particular Ford. I did NOT expect Joe Brodys death and that was actually kinda heart wrenching, I felt Bryan Cranston had a real power to his role and I did feel sad. I still think too little monster action at times. Granted we got a decent battle at the end. But when Godzilla roars into Honolulu, (And I have to admit the suspense was top notch all throughout, the film felt very atmospheric) we get that beautiful reveal, a roar (oh my god, whislt different from classic roars still recognisable as Godzilla and perhaps more suited to the bulkier CGI one here) ... and cut. Couple TV shots on the news and that's it.

I don't want to sound too negative though. Build up was fantastic. Suspense was fantastic. Whilst I think Ford Brody was a screen hog a little, his acting was good (poor guy had a real rough ride). Alexandre Desplats score was very impressive, reminds me of some of Akira Ifukubes works. The way Godzilla was treated was different though. It's like man had this unholy respect that scared them into doing anything against it. And Godzilla rather than cutting through the naval assault, including Golden Gate sequence (that school bus scene with the spines, amazingly shot.) it was like he really actually didn't care. I wonder, had the Military opened fire on him at the end, would he have swam off?

Overall though I really enjoyed it. My only issue was mainly the monster/human balance... but a solid 8/10 for me. Does the job and banishes memories of the Roland Emmerich reboot.

and I don't know how many kaiju fans (or do we call them "Groupies" after Pacific Rim now?) are here... but does anyone think that the Mothra references are a little too numerous? The firefighters looking like the Shobijin / Cosmos, a Butterfly painting in clear Mothra colours in the school at Janjira, and I think I saw a "Mothra" entitled book or screen on the TV in the Brodies house?

Anyway we will have to see. :)

Guys I know you don't want to spoil anything but give us who didn't go yet a rating :lol: is it worth going?

Man... did I just cry watching a Godzilla movie? I don't know what came over me but the start really got me all emotional. That Breaking Bad guy was really good. Spoilers: Next was the suspense man, the suspense! At first I thought Godzilla was gonna die because he was double teamed by the MUTOs and it looked really bleak for Godzilla, getting stabbed and all. Then he killed one MUTO, yay! But then the building collapsed on him and I thought, "noooo, what, are they really gonna kill him?" Then he came back with an OH MAH GAWD, WHAT THE HELL?!?11?1!?! ATOMIC BREATH!!!!11!! Holy crap that was epic. Then he collapsed again, and I thought, "no, they're doing it this time..." Then ATOMIC BREATH AGAIN!!111!! Then collapsed again. The suspense man. Finally got up and went back to the ocean. Godzilla is indestructible, all is right with the world. One thing though, the way the humans suddenly worked together with Godzilla came off kinda weird. It was like, "oh hey look at this giant monster, let's add him to the naval fleet." And you see Godzilla sailing with the carrier and destroyers, like wtf? it's a giant monster. All good, it was still an entertaining movie. MUTOs were really cool. Looked like they were wearing futuristic goggles a la Cyclops. Godzilla was also great. I don't think he looks fat at all but he sure is big, AND I MEAN BIG. Some scenes where you get to see the whole of him, good God that was glorious. Definitely captured the original Godzilla feel and look. Albeit bear snout still looked weird in a couple of scenes.

Godzilla was swimming with the fleet because they were following him just as they were tracking the MUTOs.

Godzilla wasn't actually with the fleet, he was being followed. Once he dived under, they lost him for roughly 5-7 hours whilst they tracked the MUTOs.
Ok, my spoiler laden review (and i've highlighted your post for a reason T12 ;)

I think slightly too much time was spent on the human characters, or in particular Ford. I did NOT expect Joe Brodys death and that was actually kinda heart wrenching, I felt Bryan Cranston had a real power to his role and I did feel sad. I still think too little monster action at times. Granted we got a decent battle at the end. But when Godzilla roars into Honolulu, (And I have to admit the suspense was top notch all throughout, the film felt very atmospheric) we get that beautiful reveal, a roar (oh my god, whislt different from classic roars still recognisable as Godzilla and perhaps more suited to the bulkier CGI one here) ... and cut. Couple TV shots on the news and that's it.

I don't want to sound too negative though. Build up was fantastic. Suspense was fantastic. Whilst I think Ford Brody was a screen hog a little, his acting was good (poor guy had a real rough ride). Alexandre Desplats score was very impressive, reminds me of some of Akira Ifukubes works. The way Godzilla was treated was different though. It's like man had this unholy respect that scared them into doing anything against it. And Godzilla rather than cutting through the naval assault, including Golden Gate sequence (that school bus scene with the spines, amazingly shot.) it was like he really actually didn't care. I wonder, had the Military opened fire on him at the end, would he have swam off?

Overall though I really enjoyed it. My only issue was mainly the monster/human balance... but a solid 8/10 for me. Does the job and banishes memories of the Roland Emmerich reboot.

and I don't know how many kaiju fans (or do we call them "Groupies" after Pacific Rim now?) are here... but does anyone think that the Mothra references are a little too numerous? The firefighters looking like the Shobijin / Cosmos, a Butterfly painting in clear Mothra colours in the school at Janjira, and I think I saw a "Mothra" entitled book or screen on the TV in the Brodies house?

Anyway we will have to see. :)
On the first point, the movie revolved so much around the humans because Edwards took an approach to a monster movie from our POV. It centered around what we would observe & what we would do in response to such creatures, when ultimately, there was nothing we could do, hence why Ishiro had a few "one-liners" referencing to why he was called Godzilla & the balance of nature. It seems to share the idea with how his movie Monsters was made, where the focus was humans dealing with creatures beyond their imagination or capabilities of killing rather than the monsters themselves. In that movie, it worked out well, though I can see why it may draw many head scratches from the audiences. It does for me, even though he teased Godzilla perfectly throughout the movie.

On to the second point, man did try to fight it. They fought it before & failed, and they were trying to fight it again by luring it with the MUTOs to kill all 3. But, this goes right back to Ishiro's disdain against that plan; he can't be stopped. They called him Godzilla for a reason & in their eyes, he isn't an enemy or ally; he simply keeps the world in check. Godzilla most likely ignored everything because his only goal was to keep the MUTOs from repopulating. This actually provided a nice difference to the story that 1 review pointed out. The monsters aren't out for the end of mankind. They are simply acting on instincts and have goals they set to achieve; we as humans are only things that just got in the way or indirectly provided a feeding source through radiation. I think this may be why Edwards chose to center it so much around humans; the monsters weren't going to fight or destroy everything for giggles.

All in all, I can see where many will have a lot of concern about why the story plays out like it does, but in the end, Godzilla still comes out victorious if not practically immortal & he did it by pretty much by remaining as an anti-hero. I know several in my theater gasped when he dispatched of the first MUTO, and most gaped in aw at the end of the female. I think teasing his death 3 times was a bit much (being over powered by 2 MUTOs, being crushed by a building, collapsing after battling the the other) or that Ford himself was the luckiest man on earth. He must have defied death by the MUTOs 3 or 4 times alone.

I will be going back to see it in IMAX, & I would recommend anyone to pass on any theaters showing it in 3D. The effects aren't any special & the basic glasses theaters are using now-a-days adds a tint to the movie and makes it dark.

@McLaren Ah, that makes more sense now.

Also during the opening sequence, they showed a nuclear test and them nuking Godzilla. I understand that some generals and high officials are watching a nuclear test. I also understand that they nuked Godzilla. But the way they showed it makes it seem as if both was happening at the same time (which might be the case) but how do you get Godzilla to swim at the specific location where the gentlemen were preparing to watch the nuclear test? I just felt like that was kinda weird how they showed it.

I'll watch it again next week.

BTW, it sucks we didn't get to see the multi armed beast. I'm hoping a sequel will have him.

The following should not contain spoilers, but if someone disagree's, let me know and I'll color it white. If I can remember how...

Awful movie! Beyond awful actually. Characters that are boring and one-dimensional. A story that a 2-year old could've written, and horrible dialogue. A ton of build-up for a finale that ultimately didn't live up to the hype.

Bah, I honestly can't find anything positive to say about this trash. It's really long, it has very little action, and the characters and story simply do nothing to keep you interested. The special effects were just plain boring, espicially when compared to movies of equal scope (Pacific Rim, etc.). The soundtrack didn't make any effort to get the audience excited either.

Honestly, I though Godzilla was kind of a wuss. And the incompetence shown by the Army/Navy was just laughible.

@McLaren Ah, that makes more sense now.

Also during the opening sequence, they showed a nuclear test and them nuking Godzilla. I understand that some generals and high officials are watching a nuclear test. I also understand that they nuked Godzilla. But the way they showed it makes it seem as if both was happening at the same time (which might be the case) but how do you get Godzilla to swim at the specific location where the gentlemen were preparing to watch the nuclear test? I just felt like that was kinda weird how they showed it.

I'll watch it again next week.

BTW, it sucks we didn't get to see the multi armed beast. I'm hoping a sequel will have him.
They didn't get Godzilla to go to a place where a nuclear bomb coincidentally being tested. Ishiro comments that the Castle Bravo bomb that was detonated at Bikini Atoll was a result of Godzilla altogether. How they got him there, I don't know, but the image of the bomb on the beach showing "No Godzilla" shows that that was why everyone was there; to see if it worked. No Godzilla, no Castle Bravo.

And yeah, that was kind of strange though I'm guessing the beast found under the quarry was him.

The following should not contain spoilers, but if someone disagree's, let me know and I'll color it white. If I can remember how...

Awful movie! Beyond awful actually. Characters that are boring and one-dimensional. A story that a 2-year old could've written, and horrible dialogue. A ton of build-up for a finale that ultimately didn't live up to the hype.

Bah, I honestly can't find anything positive to say about this trash. It's really long, it has very little action, and the characters and story simply do nothing to keep you interested. The special effects were just plain boring, espicially when compared to movies of equal scope (Pacific Rim, etc.). The soundtrack didn't make any effort to get the audience excited either.

Honestly, I though Godzilla was kind of a wuss. And the incompetence shown by the Army/Navy was just laughible.
How were the special effects worse than a movie where the only saving grace was the special effects? :confused:

How were the special effects worse than a movie where the only saving grace was the special effects? :confused:

I specifically said that the effects were boring. Not bad, just boring. There was nothing note worthy about the effects. They were jus kind of meh.

I just came from the movies and all I can say is that I'm thankful I went for the sparkling wine instead of the Fanta as my choice of beverage. Also, its 120 minutes of duration were perfect for draining the whole bottle.

Think you may have missed the point of the movie, then. Comparing them to Pacific Rim of all things is still laughable, imo.

My complaints have nothing to do with the symbolisms in the movie. I'm well aware of what Godzilla stands for. But that alone does not a good movie make. And like it or not, it is in the same genre as Pacific Rim. Sure, it has a deeper meaning, but the premise and story is every bit as silly. Difference is that Pacific Rim knew it was silly and thus didn't take itself too serious. Godzilla is the other way around. Thinking it is more than it is.

My complaints have nothing to do with the symbolisms in the movie. I'm well aware of what Godzilla stands for. But that alone does not a good movie make. And like it or not, it is in the same genre as Pacific Rim. Sure, it has a deeper meaning, but the premise and story is every bit as silly. Difference is that Pacific Rim knew it was silly and thus didn't take itself too serious. Godzilla is the other way around. Thinking it is more than it is.

Considering GODZILLA is actually a serious movie opposed to Pacific Rims high-jinks capers. 2 hours nowadays isn't considered really long either. And the soundtrack I thought was epic, and effects and visually it was very inventive and good.

Just got back from seeing the movie and...

Pretty disappointed. The fight scenes were the best part, but other than that it just didn't pull me in like I wanted it to. And the ending, yeah let's just say that was one of the worst endings I've seen in a while. Overall I would give it a 3/5 as I don't feel like it was a waste of money, but it certainly wasn't what I wanted it to be.

Saw this earlier today. As summer blockbusters go, it is fun and worth a watch. Don't expect any award nominations though. Winter Soldier was better and I expect more from X-Men and GotG.

Details:

I hate stunt casting. Show nothing but trailers of Bryan Cranston, his voice over many scenes, and then kill him off in the first act? You sucked me in. I'll see a Bryan Cranston film without hesitation. Remove him that quick and I spend the rest of the film wondering how he would sound in the strategy meetings. Military wants to nuke them Japanese scientist reminisces on Hiroshima, and the American Maniac wants to do anything at any cost. Much more fun. His death felt a bit rushed. We knew he was in bad shape, but then ziiiip. It was surprising, I'll give you that. And nothing like imagining having your father prove to you that he isn't insane and die while doing it.

There were some plot holes and a ton of conveniences. How many times does Ford Brody just happen to be in the wrong place? My God, that man has the worst luck. I suspect he has a MUTO stalker. But fortunately he has a bigger bully on his side. I imagine his son will be cheering on Jet Jaguar in a future film.

Nukes: Fly them around and land them on the boat where you want them. Don't leak the seal until you are ready.

Just how far did that boat get in 13 minutes? TDKR got away with it and now we are going to see it over and over again.

And why was Honolulu the only city to get a tsunami as Godzilla came ashore? Better yet, how did he displace that much water?

All that said: Eat atomic fire 🤬!!! Rip that head off like its a gorgon. Unfortunately, Godzilla's atomic breath is like Voltron's sword; he doesn't remember it until he's almost been defeated. Let's start with the critical hit headshot next time.

I enjoy a good monster movie, even if it is a ridiculous SyFy film on a Saturday night. This is one of the most enjoyable in a while. Far better than Pacific Rim. At least they attempted to describe it with decent sounding pseudoscience, and not some massively insane giant robots are somehow more feasible than a few dozen bunker busters from a high altitude plane.

Back