Going Faster - Journey from Beginner to Intermediate

• Thread starter Fosterions
  • 75 comments
I'm a cone guy myself, I don't live and die by the cone, I've just always had them turned on.

It's important to realize the cone is not always the best place to start braking, but can be a good visual reference(while it's still there) once you find the optimal braking point. Just before the cone, just after the cone etc. But they are pretty unnecessary, so if your still new to the game try learning without them. I fear I've played with the cones for so long now that they have become a part of how I drive now and the game won't be the same if I got rid of them, hail the cones, hail.

Austria Attempt #2 January 29, 2019
Best: 1:32.739
Optimal: 1:32.560
Didn't calculate because the times sucked so bad I didn't care. :irked:

Once again, 911 RSR, TC0, ABS weak, RH tires. I've moved my brake bias to +1 since the update, I seem to like that better though I'm no faster.

Since attempt one I have recorded a 1:31.58, but that could be with RS tires. I dunno, thanks for the race detail and info Polyphony! :banghead: I tried recording a set of five before this set, but I wiped out on the third lap so I did the recording for attempt #2. I did a 1:32.054 in that set before the wipeout. If you wait to the end of the video you can see that time in the standings. Only excuse I have is my kid interrupted me for the set you see here.

I'm also going to go to YouTube for hosting these since Twitch deletes stuff.

Would a hot lap video help you out? i can put something together

Yeah, sure please. I'm happy to watch anything that might help!

I'm a cone guy myself, I don't live and die by the cone, I've just always had them turned on.

It's important to realize the cone is not always the best place to start braking, but can be a good visual reference(while it's still there) once you find the optimal braking point. Just before the cone, just after the cone etc. But they are pretty unnecessary, so if your still new to the game try learning without them. I fear I've played with the cones for so long now that they have become a part of how I drive now and the game won't be the same if I got rid of them, hail the cones, hail.

I had the same fear and there was definitely an adjustment period without the cones. The longer you've used them the longer that may be. Depends on your adaptability. It was definitely worth the effort for me.

What is all this "remove the cones" baloney???

In the real world, cones are an important part of the event. The cones mark the beginning of the braking zone, the turn in point, and the exit. Yes, they are not the hard fast brake point for everyone, because everyone has their specific machinery.

In this game, depending on what you are driving and the tires you are using, the brake point will change, but it will always be in and around those cones. Once you pass the cones, you are getting deeper and deeper into the braking "zone", hence, why it's called a braking zone.

BTW, Here's a picture of me passing one of these cones that you folks are saying should be turned off.

134418_10150354124955032_8195508_o.jpg

And, if you think I am full of baloney, here's a pic of me as part of the instructor crew from a few years ago

58590_433498192684_1741005_n.jpg

Leave the cones on and learn to use them properly.

I had the same fear and there was definitely an adjustment period without the cones. The longer you've used them the longer that may be. Depends on your adaptability. It was definitely worth the effort for me.

BTW, also turn on the driving markers, you'll find out why in a sec.

Ok, here's my line from back in the instructor days. This is what I would tell newbies.

Your goal is to look for the cones (I have stated what the cones are for above, I won't reiterate). You will try to draw a line from cone, to cone, to cone, connecting the dots. You should be looking two cones ahead. By seeing the next cone and the cone immediately following, you can see the trajectory needed to get through the corner, once you pass a cone, you should be looking for the next cone and the one following (remember, always two cones).

Now, sometimes the corner is blind, so you need to look for an indicator to tell you where the cones will be. We in GTS are lucky because we have the driving markers, so we can see where the cones are even if they are obscured or knocked out of place.

So, given this, at a braking zone, you should be looking for the braking zone marker (the double cones) and the first single cone (the entry point). Your goal is to slow down just enough to be able to turn at the entry point without going wide. You'll know what speed that should be once you pass the braking marker and connect the dots from entry point to apex.

Ideally, you should be braking hard to the entry point, easing off the brakes at the turn in and up to the apex, then bleeding on power from apex to exit.

Now, once you've got this down pat, you can then start drawing different lines through these corners, late apex, tight exit, etc, etc, etc.

Do they have pylons at pro level races? No. Are they many people on this forum that are pro level? Also no. Leave your cones on.

Last edited:

In the real world, cones are an important part of the event. The cones mark the beginning of the braking zone, the turn in point, and the exit. Yes, they are not the hard fast brake point for everyone, because everyone has their specific machinery.

In this game, depending on what you are driving and the tires you are using, the brake point will change, but it will always be in and around those cones. Once you pass the cones, you are getting deeper and deeper into the braking "zone", hence, why it's called a braking zone.

BTW, Here's a picture of me passing one of these cones that you folks are saying should be turned off.

134418_10150354124955032_8195508_o.jpg

And, if you think I am full of baloney, here's a pic of me as part of the instructor crew from a few years ago

58590_433498192684_1741005_n.jpg

Ok, here's my line from back in the instructor days. This is what I would tell newbies.

Your goal is to look for the cones (I have stated what the cones are for above, I won't reiterate). You will try to draw a line from cone, to cone, to cone, connecting the dots. You should be looking two cones ahead. By seeing the next cone and the cone immediately following, you can see the trajectory needed to get through the corner, once you pass a cone, you should be looking for the next cone and the one following (remember, always two cones).

Now, sometimes the corner is blind, so you need to look for an indicator to tell you where the cones will be. We in GTS are lucky because we have the driving markers, so we can see where the cones are even if they are obscured or knocked out of place.

So, given this, at a braking zone, you should be looking for the braking zone marker (the double cones) and the first single cone (the entry point). Your goal is to slow down just enough to be able to turn at the entry point without going wide. You'll know what speed that should be once you pass the braking marker and connect the dots from entry point to apex.

Ideally, you should be braking hard to the entry point, easing off the brakes at the turn in and up to the apex, then bleeding on power from apex to exit.

Now, once you've got this down pat, you can then start drawing different lines through these corners, late apex, tight exit, etc, etc, etc.

Do they have pylons at pro level races? No. Are they many people on this forum that are pro level? Also no. Leave your cones on.
No definitely not, we're not pro level racers, but, in my opinion, if you want to really learn the track you should try to use different visual clues for your braking points than the coins, simple fact of the matter is that a cone is an object that can be gone after the first car passes that section of the track, once it's gone all the drivers depending on them (and the drivers driving close to them) are very vulnerable and very likely to mess up (accidents).
Depending on the cones is like using a trees shadow on the Nurburgring, once clouds come in to play you're doomed, each lap your braking points shift.

So, yes, by all means, use the coins if you're unfamiliar with the track but do try to find different non moving markers to use during a race, once you found those for each braking zone you're good to go and enter a race.

Prob with this game is people hit those cones you rely on, then you're SOL... Cones also in real life done ussualy say a "braking zone' because each car/bike is different. there can be a rough idea where to turn in cone and apex, maybe exit too. but never braking. Turning cones off is key to being consistent and fast in gt

Wanted to come back to this because I appreciate the effort to share the wisdom and I do agree with you if we're talking to complete newbs or base setting fundamentals before a track day or driver course. Or even reminding more experienced folks of the fundamentals once in a while. I bolded a portion of your post, "This is what I would tell newbies", as to why I turned the cones and track markers off. From my title I'm trying to move from "newbie" status to intermediate. I think the advice to turn assists of all types off, if your goals is immersion and progression, I think learning the track without them is a good way to do it. As described on the first page of this thread by a few people. Also, since I've turned this stuff off I have enjoyed the game a bit more in certain ways.

Not in over a decade, but I have done both track days and had some driver training (Solo II context) and been a race fan for ages. I own a copy of the Skip Barber text(still can't find it, maybe I'll replace it), I've won Rotax kart races, I know about slip angle, threshold braking as well as braking zones, apexes and blah blah blah. You wouldn't know that. But, anyway, maybe I'm not the intermediate I think I am. I allegedly know these things, but I'm not getting faster/better as I go through this exercise. There's no progress. I'm watching videos and trying to replicate the actions (braking zones, amount of turn in, corner speed) and I'm nowhere close. Sadly, I'm starting to feel like I'm reaching the limit of my skill and it's making this more frustrating than fun.

In reference to turn/apex markers. Try hitting them with the rear wheel of your car. I had a tendency to turn in way too early on an early apex. By simply lining it up with my rear wheel I became more acclimated with how late I could actually turn in as well as hitting the apex deeper at a better angle.

Cripes. Comparing myself to SuperGT’s laps at the Nurburgring GP circuit and his fastest was a 1:56.1. Mine is a 2:01.308. FIVE SECONDS?! And that’s really ragged. I’m thinking it’s time to hang up the gloves.... I don’t wear.

There's no progress. I'm watching videos and trying to replicate the actions (braking zones, amount of turn in, corner speed) and I'm nowhere close. Sadly, I'm starting to feel like I'm reaching the limit of my skill and it's making this more frustrating than fun.

Hang in there man. I know how it feels, like with everything you need to learn, there’s progression up until a certain level, then progression stops, it even gets worse, but if you persevere you will eventually climb out of the low and progress even faster then before. The last 20% of progression typically takes 80% of the time, keep that in mind, keep having fun!

Cripes. Comparing myself to SuperGT’s laps at the Nurburgring GP circuit and his fastest was a 1:56.1. Mine is a 2:01.308. FIVE SECONDS?! And that’s really ragged. I’m thinking it’s time to hang up the gloves.... I don’t wear.
I noticed i had a bit more feel in the car with the FFB Torque turned down so it wasn't so heavy. Give that a go.

I noticed i had a bit more feel in the car with the FFB Torque turned down so it wasn't so heavy. Give that a go.

Speaking of feel, I’ve been trying the new settings mirror_man posted in the CSL blue mode thread and there is none. I’m beginning to think there may be a technical problem because I just can’t get cars to respond the way I see others do online and with those settings I may as well tape the DS4 to a dish plate

... There's no progress. I'm watching videos and trying to replicate the actions (braking zones, amount of turn in, corner speed) and I'm nowhere close. Sadly, I'm starting to feel like I'm reaching the limit of my skill and it's making this more frustrating than fun.

Well, there's a few things here that you need to keep in mind. "Progress", as measured in the game, is rank.

To increase rank, you need to start up front, right?

So, there are tips and tricks in the game that a lot of people miss out on. Things like input pressure. A slower input of acceleration and braking will result in better output, just like real life. So, if you hammer the gas out of a corner, you get wheelspin, but if you ever so slightly pour on the pressure, you do not. Braking is the same. Slam the brake, you get lockup, even with ABS on default. Slowly bleed it, and you get shorter stopping distances.

Also, each track demands one of several cars that perform best there. Brake balance is also MAHOOSIVE. 1 click one way or the other can take seconds off your lap time.

If you've got the fundamentals down, focus on the subtleties. Still, leave the cones and markers on. Plenty of the fastest players use them. They aren't an "aid" in the same way TCS and CSA are aids. They are just reference points and they do help. I can't tell you how many times I have won a corner because i had a better handle on where to brake versus and opponent.

Prob with this game is people hit those cones you rely on, then you're SOL..

Naw, leave the driving markers on too. You'll be able to better remember where the brake cones were relative to the turn in point. Plus, you can see the markers when there are cars in the way.

Last edited:
I've read through this thread, and figured I would add my 2 cents. I've had GTS since Christmas, when I bought a PS4, GTS and a G29. The last console I had was a PS2, and I always played GT 1-4, but that was 10-15 years ago. I always thought of myself as pretty fast, and though I've never raced a car, I did race motorcycles for a few years in the early '90's.

So... my thought on the cone markers...use them in practice/qualifying if you want, but I wouldn't once you know the track a little. I stopped using them in races early on. I got used to using them as a brake marker, then would miss my brake point after someone took them out, so I don't want to rely on them for that. The blue teardrop apex and turn in markers can be useful, and can't be hit. Another reason to not use them when racing is that, when they get hit, they can end up on the track, and send you airborn if you hit them. That can't happen if they're off.

As to progressing, everybody levels out eventually. Most plateau, then progress, then plateau again. Eventually they find their level. Not everyone can be an alien. Not everyone can even win, though if you get a handle on the mental side of racing you should be able to with a little luck...re:a top 3 grid spot or pole, and not getting punted. If you drive smooth and are consistent, wins will come. Many farm for wins by dropping DR to get into slower rooms. I prefer to progress as far as I can.

Another thing that helped me recently was that I had a series of really dirty races that dropped my SR down to 16 points. I am DR-B and worked hard to get to the 20K level, and didn't want a reset, though I'm sure I would have won a bunch of races on the way back up. I try to stay at SR-99, and always do my best to race clean. That also makes wins harder sometimes.

Anyway, I needed to have clean races to get out of the SR-D-E crashfests, so I didn't qualify for the N-200 Suzuka race C. I figured I could drive around at the back, and sacrifice some DR to get clean races and build my SR back up.
That first race I started 14/15 and was a bit worried about the guy behind, but figured on letting him by if he looked to bump. As anyone who raced that race last week may know, if you jump the start they hold you at the line, so when the lights went out I accelerated and ended up in 12th at T1. The two in front were bashing each other, so I stayed back enough to not get caught up and tried for clean lines.
Long story short, I stayed out of trouble, and only passed when someone really messed up and I could shoot by and get clear. That ended up being good enough for 6th. Added bonus was I was driving so smooth and not pushing brake zones, so my tires were barely worn and I could catch people later in the race when things opened up. I didn't even make a pass until lap 4, yet got to 6th.

I ran from the back all week in that race, won one and podiumed 3 times, and got my SR back to 99. I raced the A race with qualifying late in the week, and I noticed something... My newfound patients with passing, and backing off my brake points to stay more in control was paying off. I've had wins and podiums before, but usually was lucky to finish where I qualified. Almost all of my wins came from running away at the front. Now I find myself finishing much better than my qualifying lap, and beating people that Q 1-2 seconds faster even. Best C race last week I won starting 14/16. My best lap that race was a high 42 and pole was a 39 I think.
Running from the back has changed the game for me, and I will be doing it again. My speed may not have improved, but my racecraft has taken a huge leap.

Last edited:
Such a great post @Rexracer702.
I play the game from an sr perspective over dr. I try to hold 99 always. Try lol.
I find the game really opens up when holding strong sr.
Approaching the game this way you see and become aware of what’s happening and don’t try to run a razors edge and battle hard over every inch. You can tell what’s going on.
Overtaking opportunities present themselves plenty if you are smart and patient. So often just waiting yields spots as people take themselves off. Sometimes you just have to stay calm cool and collected.
If you can do that it’s surprising what you see.
There’s excellent online racing available at higher sr.

@Rexracer702, thanks for the great advice. I agree. But it's not something I'm going to apply in the very near future. I don't enjoy racing online. It's too dirty for me and I'm usually too slow to keep up with the front of the grid and faster than the complete nubs so I sit in the middle occasionally rammed by a faster driving passing through after starting behind me for whatever reason. No thanks. When I am comfortable with my pace I may go on and try racing online. Or I may move onto Assetto Corsa with it's great AI and varying levels of challenge.

I do have a small update in my mission to be faster highlighting the importance of getting guidance on set up and what each wheel setting means. And RTFM. Anyway, I have changed my SEN setting to something more appropriate, for me at the very least. I haven't sat and practiced any tracks for a long period of time, but the little I have done it has felt much better. The turn in is so much better and precise. I have been able to record my fastest Nordschleife time and gold one of the rally Mission Challenges that I was unable to do before. I'm not blown away by the feedback through the wheel by any means, but my current settings are the best feeling yet.

Just ran my fastest Monza time of 1:49.397 using the original Monza settings (racing soft). Going through the first Lesmo is a completely different experience with my new SEN setting. I can also be a lot more consistent through Ascari. Definitely an improvement.

Just ran my fastest Monza time of 1:49.397 using the original Monza settings (racing soft). Going through the first Lesmo is a completely different experience with my new SEN setting. I can also be a lot more consistent through Ascari. Definitely an improvement.
Ill be posting a lap tonight to help you out. You want multiple views?

Austria Attempt #3 February 7, 2019. Unrecorded.
Best: 1:31.687
Optimal: 1:31.203
CSL Elite wheel setting SEN Changed to 45(I think) and previously it was AUT.

So, nice!! Wheel setting change and more practice has bagged me over a second!

Edit: Oops! forgot to mention the other change I have made is I have been running ABS default lately. I changed it from Weak to try it out again then forgot...

Last edited:
Well, there's a few things here that you need to keep in mind. "Progress", as measured in the game, is rank.

So, there are tips and tricks in the game that a lot of people miss out on. Things like input pressure. A slower input of acceleration and braking will result in better output, just like real life. So, if you hammer the gas out of a corner, you get wheelspin, but if you ever so slightly pour on the pressure, you do not. Braking is the same. Slam the brake, you get lockup, even with ABS on default. Slowly bleed it, and you get shorter stopping distances.

Also, each track demands one of several cars that perform best there. Brake balance is also MAHOOSIVE. 1 click one way or the other can take seconds off your lap time.

If you've got the fundamentals down, focus on the subtleties. Still, leave the cones and markers on. Plenty of the fastest players use them. They aren't an "aid" in the same way TCS and CSA are aids. They are just reference points and they do help. I can't tell you how many times I have won a corner because i had a better handle on where to brake versus and opponent.

Naw, leave the driving markers on too. You'll be able to better remember where the brake cones were relative to the turn in point. Plus, you can see the markers when there are cars in the way.

Great post, from a fellow cone user. :sly:

My preference is the hood or cockpit view, but I am grateful for anything.

Did 3 laps. 1:46.9 I’ll post all 3 laps I did. I think a 1:45 is there if you wanna be more frisky with the curbs. But this should give you goood sense on where I brake and appply inputs

Link:

Last edited:
@Drew71 thank you! Biggest thing I’ve noticed is you take a very different line than many I’ve seen for Parabolica, I feel like I remember seeing others stay tight through there, but I may have that wrong. I will have to watch this on a larger screen than my phone and try and get the braking points down. Thank you! :cheers:

Alright! Back at Monza with @Drew71’s video as guide.
Best: 1:49.278
Optimum: 1:48.591

I’m pretty sloppy as you can see from the .7 gap from best to optimum. Still, further progress! :)

How do you figure out your BB adjustment with ABS on? On the N car Sport Mode races with Sport and Comfort tires I have started testing BB with ABS off to make it real obvious what is going on with the brakes, once I dial in acceptable BB I switch back to ABS default. In the GR cars it's not always as easy to understand what's going on with BB. It would be great if GTS showed tire temps. PD made a huge change in the last physics upgrade to where you can actually drive the cars fast with ABS off now.

How do you figure out your BB adjustment with ABS on? On the N car Sport Mode races with Sport and Comfort tires I have started testing BB with ABS off to make it real obvious what is going on with the brakes, once I dial in acceptable BB I switch back to ABS default. In the GR cars it's not always as easy to understand what's going on with BB. It would be great if GTS showed tire temps. PD made a huge change in the last physics upgrade to where you can actually drive the cars fast with ABS off now.

I just start at zero and do laps. Then I start moving the balance forward or back based on where I need to rotate more or rotate less. If my ghost is always faster, then I know I am doing something wrong. Usually, but not always, the same balance setting works for all tracks.

I care most about the lap time. Whatever setting gets me the fastest laps is the setting I use.

Continued update after changing the SEN setting on my CSL Wheel. I have now completed Mission Challenge in Gold.

I have yet to do Gold on one Ring to rule them all. I’m close. I’ve almost done it a few times, but I’m so nervous/excited about finally doing it that I bin in it in the last few turns. :lol:

After the ring there’s a small handful of Campaign races I haven’t done, the Vision cars mostly, I don’t enjoy those, the drifting trophy for 1,000,000 (meh), level 50 and then it’s just the Sport mode trophies. Soon time to develop the thick skin and patience to deal with online racing. :rolleyes::scared:

Attachments

• 34850336-1F86-4475-A284-53188B3C7B41.jpeg
    34850336-1F86-4475-A284-53188B3C7B41.jpeg
    32.8 KB · Views: 12
Back