Google's Rumored Console Could be Revealed March 19

If this is indeed what has been rumored, I have several questions regarding it. Very curious as what they will bring.

I would not underestimate G. They learn very quick from their mistakes. Considering they own the world's largest consumer database, and the world's largest collection of algorithm to study it, they are likely to "understand" consumers intentions. They have probably identified a market development possibility and they are going to go for it. I don't think is a console, I think is more like a portable device.

However, it's possible that on Tuesday I have to return here and edit my post.

What I do know is that some sphincters in Japan are going to be stiffer than usual, at least until the announcement :mischievous:

What I do know is that some sphincters in Japan are going to be stiffer than usual, at least until the announcement

I'm not sure about that, but I am sure they'll be looking at this with interest.

It's going to be very hard for a new player to break into the console market, both the PS and Xbox have a vast library of quality software available already and console's eco-system is way more important that the hardware itself.

Google could release a console with specs magnitudes ahead of the current market leaders, but if all they've got for a software library is a ton of pay to win shovelware then it counts for nothing.

Im pretty sure its googles take on game streaming. Chromecast with transmitter..

I'd imagine this is the case. I got into the beta program for Google's streaming service that used Assassins Creed Odyssey and it worked really well. If Google can bring that experience to my TV, I'd be pretty happy.

I’m hoping the loads of new consoles coming out doesn’t lead to an increase of dodgy games like when the video game crash happened.
That's what Steam Early Access is for. Although I have noticed that consoles seem to increasingly be the place for dead mobile games to get dumped in a last ditch attempt to squeeze a few more microtransactions out of them.

Google's vision is to let people stream games wherever they are, on a phone or a computer or a tablet, without the need for anything more than a zippy internet connection.

Basically Google Fiber. :lol:

Well then.
AAA games on Chrome Browser.

#Stadia

The power of high end gaming computers coming to an end?

Of course.
Edit:
Who wants to play a 1K Fortnite game?

Last edited:
Well then.
AAA games on Chrome Browser.

#Stadia

Watched the Google live stream, I don't want to stream games, don't take away my gaming console is my message.

The power of high end gaming computers coming to an end?

Of course.

Or gaming consoles for that matter, I really hope it's not the end of PC or console gaming.

I think this is gaming of the future, now.
It'll be interesting to see how racing games end up getting on here.
Although I wish there was a way that you could just play.
Without having chrome browser or anything like that.

I would like to see it made into a console. :lol:

Just watched a clip from the presentation where he seemlesly moved from device to device. That right there could be the future of gaming.

Yep.

It's hard to argue that this won't be massively appealing to the general gaming populace. You won't have to buy a new console every few years (all the performance upgrades are handled server-side), you can move from pretty much any hardware you want seamlessly, and you can even use controllers from other brands if you're more comfortable doing that.

I mean, there's still a bunch of questions about the whole thing. What sort of games can we expect? What's the pricing structure, for both Stadia access and the games themselves? How would State Share work with things like achievements?

Connectivity will obviously be the limiting factor for some folks, but that's increasingly becoming the issue with traditional console games too. Hell, games like GT Sport and DiRT Rally 2.0 already close off various parts of the game if the player isn't connected to the servers.

Connectivity will obviously be the limiting factor for some folks, but that's increasingly becoming the issue with traditional console games too. Hell, games like GT Sport and DiRT Rally 2.0 already close off various parts of the game if the player isn't connected to the servers.

Welcome to the Future of Gaming.
Online Only.
No online, no game.

I see a few problems with this and the first is...

...those on data packages need not apply.

It's easy for google to say "Hey, streaming will give you the game instantly" but this is going to eat through your data package in short order. For those of us on relatively fast unlimited plans this isn't going to be a problem however those with data caps and/or slow internet it's going to be a big problem.

Then comes Latency - you can have the fastest internet connection in the world, but if the time from data request to data delivery is too long then it's going to screw up the entire experience, possibly to the point that it becomes unusable. Ok so Google has low latency servers, but what's the latency on your ISP's gateway? Hmm

"But can it run Crysis" - that old game that basically flummoxed virtually all gaming rigs for a good amount of time after its release. Well I'm sure the Google setup can run "Crysis", but how many instances can it run at the same time is the question. Too many players at the same time could well result in graphical step backs, and/or dropped frame rates.

It'll likely be subscription based, meaning all is well and good until you find yourself on hard times. Previously if you found yourself strapped for cash then you could still play all the games you've already purchased, but with this you'll most likely be out of luck, unless it's a purchase to play model like it is currently.

Truthfully I do see this as the future of gaming, if somewhat begrudgingly, but don't give up your consoles and gaming rigs yet as this will take some time along with some technology changes before it's truly mature enough to be the standard way in which games are played.

Wow. That's the best they could do for input latency with the setup for their debut presentation? :rolleyes: The delay is so obvious it's embarrassing -- both on the mouse and the analog sticks. I cannot put up with that.

"The future of gaming"? It's an idea worth exploring in terms of convenience and all that, but as anything but an optional gimmick the costs are severe. Input latency (and hiccups?), network outages, variable image quality, no ownership or autonomy...and only accessible to those with stable internet, nevermind the speed required to even approach the experience of a device in your own home.

What a nightmare. No thanks.

Anyway, I highly doubt this is the inevitable all-encompassing future it's made out to be. I'm confident it won't cut it for many people, that Nintendo will stick to what they do for years to come, and that there will still be PC games for users with their own hardware. I could imagine mainstream western "AAAs" going streaming-only, but that's no loss. :P

Wow. That's the best they could do for input latency with the setup for their debut presentation? :rolleyes: The delay is so obvious it's embarrassing -- both on the mouse and the analog sticks. I cannot put up with that.

"The future of gaming"? It's an idea worth exploring in terms of convenience and all that, but as anything but an optional gimmick the costs are severe. Input latency (and hiccups?), network outages, variable image quality, no ownership or autonomy...and only accessible to those with stable internet, nevermind the speed required to even approach the experience of a device in your own home.

What a nightmare. No thanks.

Anyway, I highly doubt this is the inevitable all-encompassing future it's made out to be. I'm confident it won't cut it for many people, that Nintendo will stick to what they do for years to come, and that there will still be PC games for users with their own hardware. I could imagine mainstream western "AAAs" going streaming-only, but that's no loss. :P
The DF video I posted showed the latency to be about the same as an Xbox One X played locally.

Not at all interested. I guess I'm not millennial enough. I like to play games on my big tv while relaxing on the couch. I can see how it could appeal to Screenagers though. I mean, I have a Switch for this exact thing and I still only play it docked.

@Slapped @Wolfe this service is exactly what the technology needs to push optimisations to reduce the bandwidth required, motivate ISPs to adjust their services and billing so this isn't flat out impossible to use on their service (which is a great way to lose customers to progressive ISPs who can read trends) and reduce latency.

You're both right though, data caps and latency are going to be challenging for services like this, but as long as things like this remain niche (like Paperspace) there's no motivation to improve, say, end to end latency of a typical household connection - Netflix and stuff like that work fine with 10, 100, 1000 or 10,000ms of latency after all. If the infrastructure is good enough for this to get some momentum and people do start migrating away from their consoles - which is obviously an absolutely enormous industry - then the rest will follow.

The only thing OnLive really got wrong was launching too soon, the concept was sound but the infrastructure wasn't there. Very few companies could pull a thing like this off but Google is definitely one of them, whether they will or not is a different story. Personally I'm not sure about it but I'll try it if I can. Realistically I think England is still not quite there infrastructure-wise but who knows, maybe the codec they've got is insanely good.

I see a few problems with this and the first is...

...those on data packages need not apply.

It's easy for google to say "Hey, streaming will give you the game instantly" but this is going to eat through your data package in short order. For those of us on relatively fast unlimited plans this isn't going to be a problem however those with data caps and/or slow internet it's going to be a big problem.

Realistically, this shouldn't eat up any more data than streaming Netflix would. Slightly more, since it'll be handling inputs too, but that's already the case with online multiplayer.

I agree though, that those without unlimited internet, or with slow speeds, will not be adopting this in large numbers. The dream of widespread high-speed internet is still not a reality, and if anything, the FCC is looking to push it further off into the distance.

It'll likely be subscription based, meaning all is well and good until you find yourself on hard times. Previously if you found yourself strapped for cash then you could still play all the games you've already purchased, but with this you'll most likely be out of luck, unless it's a purchase to play model like it is currently.

Truthfully I do see this as the future of gaming, if somewhat begrudgingly, but don't give up your consoles and gaming rigs yet as this will take some time along with some technology changes before it's truly mature enough to be the standard way in which games are played.

With regards to the first paragraph: same as Netflix then. Though at least Netflix offers the option to download locally to devices these days — I'm guessing that own't be the case here.

And yeah, I wanted to stress it in the article: it's unlikely this will become the primary approach for those of us obsessed with sim racing. It just doesn't make sense in its current form.

But I see this taking off for people who might just dabble in games. Look at mobile gaming: people scoffed at it a decade ago, and now it's huge. For everyone besides the obsessives (and with a decent connection), this will be a much more accessible port of entry than buying a multi-hundred dollar box that is out of date almost as soon as you've picked it up.

Back