Got my DFGT today...

  • Thread starter Thread starter RODDUZ
  • 31 comments
  • 3,622 views
Messages
318
Messages
RODDUZ
The game just got a whole lot better. Loads more fun! Not quite that good with it yet but def improved from six hours ago. Can not drift for **** though. Well I couldn't really with a pad but now I can't do anything, just go off the track!
 
The game just got a whole lot better. Loads more fun! Not quite that good with it yet but def improved from six hours ago. Can not drift for **** though. Well I couldn't really with a pad but now I can't do anything, just go off the track!

Got mine last friday, and indeed, the game improved so much, it's almost retarded to ever use a Ds3 again! 👍
 
Got mine last friday, and indeed, the game improved so much, it's almost retarded to ever use a Ds3 again! 👍

Yep I can't see me going back now. Well maybe for drifting if I can't figure out how to do it with a wheel!
 
Practice makes perfect.

^ This, also adjust the Force feed back a little lower till you get more adjusted to the wheel. At first Mine was at 7 I believe and I turned it down to the lowest setting, then as I progressed with learning the wheel and how it reacts, I upped it. I had the same reaction as you when I got the wheel, the game did get A LOT better.
 
Practice makes perfect.

Definately. The accomplishment of properly correcting an oversteer and making smooth lines is second to none. People will suggest removing the driving aids if you haven't already. Gradual removal is the easiest way. Eventually you want to be able to have nothing, excpet maybe ABS 1. This will allow you to have the most control over your car. Once you get used to the wheel, or you get bored, take a crack at drifitng. That will definately take dedication. Keep at it.

Good luck, and most importantly, have fun.
 
Cheers all. I have aids off apart from ABS which is at 1; this is what I used with my pad so I figured just to carry on this way. Would you suggest maybe turning them on and then gradually off or just sticking at it?

On the FF setting, I'm at 6. Was using 7 but table bit wobbly so at 6 for now.
 
Start with slower cars and work your way back up to the faster cars. The slow cars will not only give you a chance to think about what you should be doing, but it will allow you to practice being precise and smooth with your movements. Also if there are any AIDs on, now is the best time to get used to them being off, especially now that you have the ability for precise throttle control.

When I first got my wheel I was hopeless with it, just didn't feel right to me because of the force feed back. I couldn't understand why it would shake violently from side to side when going in a straight line, or why it would shove itself out of my hand when I even just barely touched a curb. But once it finally all clicked into place that the feedback is not simulating the forces on the wheel, but giving you an idea what your car itself was doing, my driving got a lot better.

I don't have a DFGT :guilty:, just a Driving Force Wireless (sits on your lap) but it does the job, especially because I have no place to properly set up a clamped racing wheel short of putting my tv on my computer desk and moving my ps3 over there.

Hope this helped, Enjoy the wheel!
 
Start with slower cars and work your way back up to the faster cars. The slow cars will not only give you a chance to think about what you should be doing, but it will allow you to practice being precise and smooth with your movements. Also if there are any AIDs on, now is the best time to get used to them being off, especially now that you have the ability for precise throttle control.

When I first got my wheel I was hopeless with it, just didn't feel right to me because of the force feed back. I couldn't understand why it would shake violently from side to side when going in a straight line, or why it would shove itself out of my hand when I even just barely touched a curb. But once it finally all clicked into place that the feedback is not simulating the forces on the wheel, but giving you an idea what your car itself was doing, my driving got a lot better.

I don't have a DFGT :guilty:, just a Driving Force Wireless (sits on your lap) but it does the job, especially because I have no place to properly set up a clamped racing wheel short of putting my tv on my computer desk and moving my ps3 over there.

Hope this helped, Enjoy the wheel!

Cheers dude. Towards the end of my session earlier I was back to basics so to speak. Driving my Civic with 230 BHP and it was awesome! Will def keep on with teh less powerful cars and work my way back up.

Cheers
 
ohh also the rubber grip gets scratched easily watch out

mine literally has so many scratches under the start/select buttons it looks like the layout of nurburgring
 
I still haven't got mine :guilty: , still waiting for the shops to restock :grumpy:

By the way, just asking, can we drift with DFGT? or it require more like G25/27?
 
I still haven't got mine :guilty: , still waiting for the shops to restock :grumpy:

By the way, just asking, can we drift with DFGT? or it require more like G25/27?

It is the same for both.

If you can do it in one you can do it in the other.
 
Its going to take a lot more then a day for you to start learning.. Keep trying for a couple of weeks/months, set Force feedback down to around 1 or 2.
 
My Fanatec Carrera wheel arrived today so I invited a good buddy of mine over to give it a try and we both had the same reaction as the OP. A wheel brings it to a whole new level. After a few hours on my wheel he went out and bought a DFGT for himself and we had some awesome 2P battles. The DFGT is an awesome wheel for the price.
 
^ A little off topic, have you used the DFGT also? If so how does it compare?
 
Yeah we would race a few races then trade places to try each other's wheel. I really like the shape and texture on the wheel of the DFGT, but the PWC wheel has a bigger diameter (12" vs 11") and it has a thicker rim which I prefer, and I find gives it a more realistic feel.

The button layout on the DFGT is a little strange to me, but maybe I just wasn't used to it. There are a few buttons that just seem like they'd be extremely difficult to reach. The two round buttons near the horn, and the two "shoulder" buttons seem like the worst. You can hit almost every button on the PWC without taking your hands off the wheel.

The PWCs buttons aren't labeled at all, (ie. no X or O or [] or R2) which can take getting used to and I haven't figured out how to turn my wipers on yet. Because the DFGT is fully supported by GT5, its a lot easier to configure. However the PWC has a lot of settings you can configure on the wheel itself which the DFGT doesn't have at all. FFB strength, deadzone, damping strength, etc. and you can save 5 different presets for different games, and presets for grip, rally and drifting.

Both wheels had really good Force Feedback effects, you can't go wrong with either.

The DFGT pedal unit is well weighted, but as you've probably read the brakes is just too soft. There is more resistance than the gas pedal but not much. On the PWC, all three pedals feel completely different and the brake is very firm. This applies to both wheels, they need to be attached to something. It doesn't matter what the surface is, they're going to slide around, or flip up when you mash the brake. There's no way around it. The DFGT has a flipdown carpet grabber thing, but just attach the whole thing to something heavy.

But the clincher for me though was the clutch and shifter on the PWC. There's just nothing better than shifting your own gears, plus you can switch up shifting modes on the fly. You can go from H-shifter w/ clutch to paddles, the shifter with no clutch without changing and settings, you just just hit whichever is most accessible basically. The DFGT just has a sequential +/- shifter which works fine for what it is. It has an EXTREMELY short throw though, and I knocked it into the wrong gear while flailing around a few times. But I knocked my PWC out of gear a few times too.


This is probably a lot longer reply than you were expecting, but I hope it helps!
 
The game just got a whole lot better. Loads more fun! Not quite that good with it yet but def improved from six hours ago. Can not drift for **** though. Well I couldn't really with a pad but now I can't do anything, just go off the track!

👍

you will notice that your entry /exit will be more consistent.
 
Do the bungee cord or squash ball mod. You won't regret it

I second this! Personally though, I found the squash ball too hard for my liking, or probably I got the wrong types. Anyway, I did the bungee cord, now the pedals feel better. Keep in mind, I didnt mind the pedals before the mod, but after it, I dont think I'm coming back to having no bungee mod.

As tempted as Iam to get a G27, I'm really enjoying my DFGT. I was the same as the OP, it took awhile within the span of a week to fully get used to it. Even right now, as a drive different cars, the wheel handles differently too.

When you get to FF at 10, it is an awesome feeling!
 
Hi Their,
Im glad you are now officially a wheel user! and don't forget Jordan's Tips & Tricks. For more Resistance! Since We do know its pedals is made of plastic. And since its fresh from the box, you don't wanna overdo it over X2010 Right?

Happy Driving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Cheers all. Awesome advice. Will look into that squash ball/bungee cord trick :) I think I'll keep FF at 6 and just learn from here. Wise I don't know?
 
Cheers all. Awesome advice. Will look into that squash ball/bungee cord trick :) I think I'll keep FF at 6 and just learn from here. Wise I don't know?

Its a good place to start :D
 
Ive had mine for a while now (GT5P days), and although at first I found it quite difficult due to the force feedback, now I couldnt drive without it.
As other people have said, start of with a slow car, preferably on a track you are familiar with, it makes it easier for you to adapt to the wheel.
Regarding drifting, it feels very difficult at first but once you get the hand of it, and how to properly regulate the throttle and brakes, you can drift perfectly.
Play with the force feedback settings till you find something that works for you, different people prefer different levels of feedback.
You will love the fact you can change TC, brake bias and others while racing. For me this is one of the best features of the wheel.
 
I fancy a steering wheel after reading all this, but I fancy one with a H-Shifter and Clutch.

is the cheapest (But decent? If there is such a thing) the Logitech G25?

I like the DFGT but the lack of H Shifter and clutch puts me off investing in one.
 
Clutch is a pile of ****. Doesn't even work properly with GT5. Would like a H shifter though.
 
Gads :(

I need a wheel.
 
A rally driver's trick I found useful is to put some tape (I used the white surgical stuff from a first aid kit) around the top of the wheel in the middle so you can easily see when the wheels are pointing forward - very useful for drifting/powersliding. Otherwise, its just a matter of throttle control and the 'Scandinavian Flick'!
 
Back