Gr. 4 is pointless in Sport Mode

Should Gr. 4 be discontinued from daily races?

• Yes - it is a dumbed-down Gr. 3 and serves no purpose

Votes: 10 3.2%
  • No - but it should feature less often than it does

Votes: 18 5.8%
  • No - Gr. 4 is as fun as any other group

Votes: 280 90.9%

• Total voters
I love Gr. 4. Slower cars mean closet action and that's always fun.

ezgif-3-789b1ee316.gif

All Gr.4 cars retain the road car drivetrain (except the NSX which becomes RWD as the electric motor to the front wheels is removed). All Gr.3 cars are RWD, either front- or mid-engined, regardless of the original. Generally there's few changes even to the bodywork (although most are acid-dipped and have the welds reinforced), save for aerodynamic aids and cooling.

There isn't a 'real life' Gr.3, but GT3 is highly variable, from cars that are closely related to road cars (McLaren, Audi) to those that barely share a single component in body or mechanicals (Nissan, Bentley). For most, the monocoque isn't even a structural component any more, replaced with a moly-steel tubular space frame. In fact the only production requirement of GT3 is that the car must use an engine of the same capacity and layout as the production road vehicle - it doesn't even have to be in the same place, as the Porsche 911 RSR shows. Even those that retain the basic body shell of the original car are commonly much wider and have suspension and powertrain components bolted to non-road spec subframes.

Bravo! Knowledge. The difference between knowing you're s*** and knowing your s***! (Appolagies in advance for the masked curse!)

I can't believe this subject matter. I absolutely love Gr4. I think it's far more closer and competitive than Gr3, even with the inclusion of the kiddie cars - Megane, TT, Sciroccos and all the other FWD learner cars. The racing always seems better in Gr4. I'm always very happy to see a Gr4 race C or manufacturers event!

No, Group 4 is not pointless, because there is more to racing than GT3. Driving in the same class over and over again can get boring, and a slower category isn't necessarily a bad thing. It is irrelevant when you are having a good race... The true test of a driver is being successful in more than one type of class. Group 4 provides a different experience to Group 3, why discount it?

Would be sick if they added more exclusive LMP manufacturers like Lola or ByKolles though.
Privateer LMP1s don't stand a chance with the hybrids though :(
All Gr.4 cars retain the road car drivetrain (except the NSX which becomes RWD as the electric motor to the front wheels is removed). All Gr.3 cars are RWD, either front- or mid-engined, regardless of the original. Generally there's few changes even to the bodywork (although most are acid-dipped and have the welds reinforced), save for aerodynamic aids and cooling.

There isn't a 'real life' Gr.3, but GT3 is highly variable, from cars that are closely related to road cars (McLaren, Audi) to those that barely share a single component in body or mechanicals (Nissan, Bentley). For most, the monocoque isn't even a structural component any more, replaced with a moly-steel tubular space frame. In fact the only production requirement of GT3 is that the car must use an engine of the same capacity and layout as the production road vehicle - it doesn't even have to be in the same place, as the Porsche 911 RSR shows. Even those that retain the basic body shell of the original car are commonly much wider and have suspension and powertrain components bolted to non-road spec subframes.
I just like to add that you can even get special permission to use an entirely different engine altogether, like what BMW did with their Z4 GT3
--
Gr. 4 all the way! If you feel like the car's too tame, you're not just pushing it hard enough :P

Damn, not a single like , i hope this is an April fools joke ! . Gr 4 is my second favorite class, only recently being surpassed by Gr 2.

Also to the person who said the higher classes are harder to drive, WRONG gr1 cars are glued to the ground. Your more likely to spin out in a road car than in a LMP1

I never (unless I am desperate for a race) enter any Gr1 races, only Gr3 or Gr4 or sometimes One Make when nothing else suits me.

I only race Daily Races.

Why anyone would want Gr4 removed beats me, hope it never happens.
It'll never happen. Gr.4(GT4) is on the rise, as evidenced by this year's GT4 European Cup entries(there are also GT4 series popping up all over the world). Manufacturers are loving it, as more models are being made for customers. I doubt PD will delete Gr.4. :)

I want to see more daily races categories than yet. Three different races aren't enough. I don't understand why there are no Gr. X and Gr. B races.

I'd like it if they ran a daily race for each class and even a daily each for stock go carts and indy cars.

I love Gr4!!
Not pointless at all!
In some tracks I find it even more challenging than Gr3 as there’s a wide variety of cars to chose depending on drivetrain and even gear ratio when it’s BoPed.

I have more choices of Gr4 cars sending on tracks and type of races than in Gr3 or Gr1.
Although lately I’m avoiding Gr4 race C (due to personal reasons) as I simply hate the M4s and the Vantages and the “short shifting” trend (that just doesn’t work for me! So unreal)

But I had, and still having, amazing Gr4 races, sometimes with cars nobody else chooses.

I posted this video on another tread before, it shows how a Gr4 race can be fun and challenging

Privateer LMP1s don't stand a chance with the hybrids though :(

There is only one Hybrid LMP1 (Toyota).With that said yes they do.

Balance of Performance brah :sly:

ACO sporting director Vincent Beaumesnil told..."
"There will be a penalty system, of which we will release details later, in case a non-hybrid car is faster than a hybrid.

"The reason for a non-hybrid going faster can only be that we have not been given the correct data [by the relevant constructor]."

"We are saying that we have given you a certain level of performance and if you are above this level, you have misled us."

I think that FIA wants Toyota to win.And even though I agree with penalties in case of "sandbaging",I dont recall FIA giving penalties to FORD for doing this with their "historic" return and win in 2016 LM. ;)

There is only one Hybrid LMP1 (Toyota).With that said yes they do.;)

no .. the porsche is a hybrid too. it even has the word hybrid in its name. i think hes talking about in gt sport too, where hybrids are faster than non hybrids

i suppose that's not strictly true though, the mazda and the bugatti vgt are faster on interlagos + maggiore

Last edited by a moderator:
no .. the porsche is a hybrid too. it even has the word hybrid in its name. i think hes talking about in gt sport too, where hybrids are faster than non hybrids

Porsche is not racing in WEC 2018/2019 season mate.The only hybrid/factory team left is Toyota.
In LPM1 there are 10 cars:2 Toyota and 8 privateer LMP1 cars.
Anyway BoP can make things equal (rl or vitrual racing).

Porsche is not racing in WEC 2018/2019 season mate.The only hybrid/factory team left is Toyota.
In LPM1 there are 10 cars:2 Toyota and 8 privateer LMP1 cars.
Anyway BoP can make things equal (rl or vitrual racing).

oh, sure. my bad .. but the porsche in the game is a hybrid and i think thats what mr cipher is talking about in terms of competitiveness, the hybrid system is a big advantage in gt sport because of the increased power to weight coming out of corners. overtakes are easy on non hybrids regardless of their standard weight or power

oh, sure. my bad .. but the porsche in the game is a hybrid and i think thats what mr cipher is talking about in terms of competitiveness, the hybrid system is a big advantage in gt sport

I may be wrong but when I read "privateer LMP1 cars",I only think RL.
Anyway if we want to talk about the game then all LMP1 cars have a hybrid system,so I dont understand what the problem is.There is no Oreca or Ginetta in the game so....

No harm to the Gr.4 enthusiasts, the racing might be close but I find them very very uninspiring to drive.

Heavy, stiffly sprung, stiff sidewall tyres, low downforce = almost immediate massive understeer. Not fun.

Balance of Performance brah :sly:
I'm thinking it will be another case of hybrids vs the real life non-hybrid cars we have right now. They're there, and they're BoP'd, but barely anyone uses them
There is only one Hybrid LMP1 (Toyota).With that said yes they do.

ACO sporting director Vincent Beaumesnil told..."
"There will be a penalty system, of which we will release details later, in case a non-hybrid car is faster than a hybrid.

"The reason for a non-hybrid going faster can only be that we have not been given the correct data [by the relevant constructor]."

"We are saying that we have given you a certain level of performance and if you are above this level, you have misled us."

I think that FIA wants Toyota to win.And even though I agree with penalties in case of "sandbaging",I dont recall FIA giving penalties to FORD for doing this with their "historic" return and win in 2016 LM. ;)
I was about to refute your argument with the penalties the FIA imposed on privateer LMP1s if they do win, since the FIA literally said directly on that statement that they want Toyota to win. It's pure BS, I hate the FIA for doing that, they're 🤬, I want to see a privateer championship contender like Courage back then. But yeah that's the reality so I said they sadly don't have a chance. Sigh :(

I hereby somewhat take back my point. Well, I think I completely take back saying that Gr. 4 is pointless. I just used the Megane for the first time since...you know when, and it was a pleasure to drive due to it being FF which you don't get in Gr. 3. That said, many of the Gr. 4 cars - namely those that are literally weakened clones of their Gr. 3 counterpart - do feel pointless in a way.

But I, for one, really wish the frequency of Gr. 1 and, at this rate, Gr. 2 races would be bumped up a little.

I think the differences in drivetrain alone justify Gr.4. Otherwise, it's all silhouette RWD racing cars in Gr.2 and 3. If it's variety you want, can't get more different than FR vs MR vs FF vs AWD.

Back