Gran Premio de España Emirates 2018Formula 1 

TenEightyOne
TenEightyOne
Racing in Europe for the first time this season although teams did visit in the snow for a pre-season test. This is the track where the dream came true for Verstappen and after a rocky start to 2018 he says that this weekend's race will define his season. That may well be true.

Kubica will drive the Williams in Friday practice - his lap times might vindicate Sirotkin/Stroll in terms of the seemingly poor times they've extracted from the car thus far... or lead to a sacking.

The European races are traditionally where the teams begin to add serious upgrades and several teams including Ferrari, Red Bull and McLaren will run considerably revised cars this weekend.

Espana.JPG

Ready for P1. One year ago was indeed a dream comes true. Wasn;t it with some help from Mercedes when they did a kind of Daniel-Max ;)
Have a lot of fun this weekend. Hopefully we will see some good action on the track which leaves us much to be discussed. As long as we're having fun!

Ready for P1. One year ago was indeed a dream comes true. Wasn;t it with some help from Mercedes when they did a kind of Daniel-Max ;)
Have a lot of fun this weekend. Hopefully we will see some good action on the track which leaves us much to be discussed. As long as we're having fun!

2 years already.

The Kubica/Stroll times will be skewed as Stroll is using the old car, while Kubica has all the upgrades, so he should be faster.

Low grip and windy conditions means about 3 cars have gone through the gravel and a lot more have spun already. 1:18.7 for Bottas

The Kubica/Stroll times will be skewed as Stroll is using the old car, while Kubica has all the upgrades, so he should be faster.

Quite, and Kubica may get his eye in faster. 1.3 seconds is not an insignificant margin but it bears noting that it's 3 seconds off the current top pace.

The Ferrari halo with the mirrors. Wat.

It was @LMSCorvetteGT2 who had the idea here first! :)

BBC reckon it looks like this:

ebd1d48e-3ef1-4f28-bfbe-2f4d2e7d92b9.jpg

Last edited:
Magnussen being the dick again.

That what a close encounter

Mercedes very fast in P1. Different compounds but still. Others could be sandbagging as it is just a P1 but we know that also Mercedes does not push to the limits yet. We'll see what P2 and the rest of the weekend brings.

Ms Calderon is actually attending this race though there are no signs of her getting into the Sauber any time soon.

Unnecessary and silly of Magnussen, it would be a tough move in a race on last laps, but at the end of FP1, after blocking earlier in lap? IMO, the only really dangerous driver on grid.

Other than that, Merc working on qually pace? Red Bull looking strong on mediums, usual Ferrari on fridays.
Won’t try judging McLaren until, hopefully, Q3 :D
Sauber looking good as well

Robert Kubica put Lance Stroll to shame with a laughable 1.2 sec gap in FP1.

Money can give you a seat but can't buy talent.

As pointed out earlier in the thread it's a meaningless comparison. It seems that Kubica was testing upgrades that Stroll didn't have on his car and we don't know either driver's fuel load. Personally I'd like to see Kubica race the car so we could have a meaningful (instead of meaningless) comparison.

Robert Kubica got a full session on softer tyres with car upgrades going for glory laps. Stroll got half a session with the old spec car doing long runs to assess the old car and use it as a benchmark. You cannot compare them.

As a Pole, I would love Robert to get a race seat so my opinion might be a bit biased, but with a hindsight of this car being a handful and neither of drivers doing well, it was silly of Williams not to jump on this 7 race deal for Robert.

Having said that, I was concerned with Robert's onboards. His inputs looked very lazy and sort of hesitant, and while it was likely forced on him by Williams' chassis not being any good, his right hand in left-hand corners worried me (the way he had to push the wheel). It made me feel he would've caught T13 slide if he was 100%.

adb
Unnecessary and silly of Magnussen, it would be a tough move in a race on last laps, but at the end of FP1, after blocking earlier in lap? IMO, the only really dangerous driver on grid.
And he's bragging about it.
He got a 1 point penalty for this move on Leclerc this morning. It's the point he just got back from the 12 months sliding points system.

Grosjean has just spun into the gravel. Again

I'm guessing he won't be racing for HAAS, or maybe even F1 next year, huh?

It's too bad really, I like the guy. Coming from a Maldonado beginning to some good success in the Lotus, to performing poorly, always complaining about brakes and damaging the car.

EDIT - Speaking of HAAS, have any pieces flown off the car yet?

Back