Gran Turismo 4 Modding Discussion

Yeah, that's why I suggested that it might be the listed model year that's wrong instead.
Hmm you're right, the website got the years wrong. It seems (according to various forums and this website) that the B230E engine (129HP / 190Nm) engine was available from '84 to '89, so I'd say it's eligible for our 240.

Stupid request but could additional special colours for instance potentially be added to cars? Pink Yaris, duh

Also, a more serious concern, despite this being NTSC-U and a later build than the original game at that, can one still "import" data from a PAL/NTSC-J save of GT3/GT4P like credits and stuff, or is this something that'd be effectively off-limits?

Can't remember if I missed anything either but being able to select specific cars/tracks to race against/on and stuff like you can in the secret GT5 settings would be nice too, maybe some more "funky" kind of options in the arcade mode options for cars would be... interesting. Like being able to configure car data or something in a (presumably well-hidden) menu so you don't have to create hybrids using a tool or dick with your save file in any way basically. :P

Last edited:
Are there any plans at all to add/modify events to include some cars that are only used in generic drivetrain, or unrestricted events? I’m thinking mostly cars such as the Volvos and the Aussie cars. Would be nice to see the Aussie Fords included in some kind of Ford one makes, or better yet just including an Aussie championship, Maybe with the XR8 RC as a prize.

Are there any plans at all to add/modify events to include some cars that are only used in generic drivetrain, or unrestricted events? I’m thinking mostly cars such as the Volvos and the Aussie cars. Would be nice to see the Aussie Fords included in some kind of Ford one makes, or better yet just including an Aussie championship, Maybe with the XR8 RC as a prize.
Would be nice, things like that for smaller manufacturers will likely be considered once I've made the more substantial changes to the career, as there are only a certain number of IDs available to use.

Just wanted to post my 2 cents on how drivetrain parts should be implemented.

Clutch should focus on the internal variable called "iflywheel". While this affects the RPM reaction speed in neutral gear, it's the only variable that influences shifting performance in any drivetrain upgrade.

for Flywheel parts, that roughly leaves "enginebrake", which influences vehicle speed loss while in gear. It's not a major effect but the parts themselves are inexpensive so fine-tuning is possible.

for the Driveshaft, aside from its unique "iprop" variable, "iwheel" could be part of its exclusive variables as well. Those parts are physically connected so it makes sense. I'm not sure on what the exact effects are but they make the car accelerate faster.

While arguments can be made on what the exact effects should be, my aim here is to give a clear, unique purpose to each drivetrain upgrade. The vanilla configuration makes every part step on each other's toes, which makes it difficult to determine their intended purpose.

Has anyone else had a problem with their game freezing or staying on a black screen after exiting from the car settings menu from the pre race menu? I’m currently having this problem from using the mod itself.

Last edited:
I don't have an actual update on the mod itself, and I'm not sure anyone thought otherwise, but just thought I'd give people an update to correct the course a little:
Someone alerted me to the fact that someone asked about the status of GT4 Spec II, and was suggested by Nenkai that they "don't hold their breath". I'm not sure how many people have been misinformed this way, but I just wanted people to know that despite a bit of a break from GT modding recently, Spec II absolutely isn't cancelled or abandoned. I have no affiliation with his server and unless someone posts a direct quote from me, you should assume that whatever is posted there is incorrect.

Updates will be posted as and when they happen, either here, Twitter, or wherever people usually follow my stuff. I might at some point make a Discord server but this isn't a priority yet.

Last edited:
It's unfortunate what transpired in the discord server. GT modding community is already very small and niche, someone causing a meltdown over a frankly trivial matter is very much unnecessary. Hopefully you aren't dissuaded from continuing this project over that.

It's unfortunate what transpired in the discord server. GT modding community is already very small and niche, someone causing a meltdown over a frankly trivial matter is very much unnecessary. Hopefully you aren't dissuaded from continuing this project over that.
Unfortunate indeed, but it's all good, I'm definitely not dissuaded - if anything it's more reason to continue on and show that everything's fine.

Things happen and I'm not always working on one thing, for instance right now some older Xbox stuff has taken my fancy, and I flow between a few things so that I don't ever burn out too much on one project. I have no concrete date set for Spec II but rest assured it's not just abandoned.

April Fools prank idea for a mod:

GT4 but it is GT7
  • Every event has the tag 'Sunday Cup' (so for example, Gran Turismo World Sunday Cup)
  • Every car in the UCD is extremely expensive
  • The progression is dogwater, so for instance, you finish one license, get 2 cars, finish the Sunday Cup, and the credits roll.
  • The AI is terrible and slow

April Fools prank idea for a mod:

GT4 but it is GT7
  • Every event has the tag 'Sunday Cup' (so for example, Gran Turismo World Sunday Cup)
  • Every car in the UCD is extremely expensive
  • The progression is dogwater, so for instance, you finish one license, get 2 cars, finish the Sunday Cup, and the credits roll.
  • The AI is terrible and slow
The tools are out there, be my guest

Unfortunate indeed, but it's all good, I'm definitely not dissuaded - if anything it's more reason to continue on and show that everything's fine.

Things happen and I'm not always working on one thing, for instance right now some older Xbox stuff has taken my fancy, and I flow between a few things so that I don't ever burn out too much on one project. I have no concrete date set for Spec II but rest assured it's not just abandoned.
Hey guys just wanted to pop in and say hi and say the mod you're working on Admiester looks phenomenal. Can't wait to see this released :)

what are the main errors to fix?

I've seen the Audi with broken 4WD and the Spoon race car with RPM set too low...arguably the NISMO 400R with its RPM set too high...

Are there any others?

what does the GT4 Spec II mod DO/have can you PM me a link?
Overhauls engine sounds, adds new events, restores regional cars, makes a lot of quality of life changes and a bunch of other stuff. They can't PM you a link because it's not out yet, but the Randomizer (which is a sort of 50% complete build with most of those listed changes) is available here:

Hey there, I've been experimenting with the Retail NTSC-U and got some interesting results.
Did several tests in UltraISO:

*Replacing the GT4VOL for itself: Worked
*Deleting the L1VOL: Didn't
*Replacing every file and folder for itself: Worked
*Switching DVD5 to DVD9: Worked
*Replacing GT4VOL for a modified specdb edit, exceding the DVD size limit: Worked, auto480p and part codes didn't
*Same as before but deleting EPSON folder for some extra space: Same result

Leads me to believe:

*PCSX2 doesn't mind the extra DVD size and absence of an actual 2nd layer
*Codes don't work due to different filesize :c
*Those that do take effect either had their addresses untouched after the edit or don't even work over the VOL
*The only way to have everything working (hopefully) is the HostFS method (needs a retail compatible GT4Hooks.elf) since it also runs on the unmodified ISO? Maybe?

Last edited:
Hey there, I've been experimenting with the Retail NTSC-U and got some interesting results.
Did several tests in UltraISO:

*Replacing the GT4VOL for itself: Worked
*Deleting the L1VOL: Didn't
*Replacing every file and folder for itself: Worked
*Switching DVD5 to DVD9: Worked
*Replacing GT4VOL for a modified specdb edit, exceding the DVD size limit: Worked, auto480p and part codes didn't
*Same as before but deleting EPSON folder for some extra space: Same result

Leads me to believe:

*PCSX2 doesn't mind the extra DVD size and absence of an actual 2nd layer
*Codes don't work due to different filesize :c
*Those that do take effect either had their addresses untouched after the edit or don't even work over the VOL
*The only way to have everything working (hopefully) is the HostFS method (needs a retail compatible GT4Hooks.elf) since it also runs on the unmodified ISO? Maybe?
Codes work on memory addresses in the executable and have nothing to do with file size. If your cheats stopped working then it's more likely that your modifications changed the CRC of the disc and PCSX2 is no longer finding a match. All you need to do is rename or copy your cheats to whatever the new CRC is.

Codes work on memory addresses in the executable and have nothing to do with file size. If your cheats stopped working then it's more likely that your modifications changed the CRC of the disc and PCSX2 is no longer finding a match. All you need to do is rename or copy your cheats to whatever the new CRC is.
Tinkered with Cheat Engine, figured out most new addresses, they are 268430592 digits higher, no idea what determines which ones stay the same or don't, but I edited new Isos a couple times and so good so far 🥳

Last edited:
I started a playthrough of the randomizer and it's only gotten me more excited for this mod!

Question, not necessarily a request, is it possible to shorten the license tests/remove tests in order to open up more event slots?
I don't know if the license tests are treated differently from regular events or if editing the UI to display <16 tests would work at all. Just a thought...

Back