Gran Turismo 4 Modding Discussion

Would it be possible to apply a global setting for penalties and tyre/fuel use ? I would like the most realistic experience possible, I always think it's a missed opportunity that PD arbitrarily decides which event has damage/wear/penalties....

Also something very "niche" I guess... Would it be possible to have different camera settings specifically for ice/dirt tracks ? I found a pretty good setting that emulates the GT Sport camera, but for rallying I like the camera to be more loose, like in Dirt Rally 1 for exemple.

Maybe it would be possible to expose the camera settings in game so that it's possible to switch and tweak on the fly ?

Would it be possible to apply a global setting for penalties and tyre/fuel use ? I would like the most realistic experience possible, I always think it's a missed opportunity that PD arbitrarily decides which event has damage/wear/penalties....

Also something very "niche" I guess... Would it be possible to have different camera settings specifically for ice/dirt tracks ? I found a pretty good setting that emulates the GT Sport camera, but for rallying I like the camera to be more loose, like in Dirt Rally 1 for exemple.

Maybe it would be possible to expose the camera settings in game so that it's possible to switch and tweak on the fly ?
Penalties and tires/fuel are in the event data which can't be modified on the fly by scripts, so a global setting can't be done. Camera is hardcoded into the game engine so it can only be affected by PCSX2 cheats, but the small part we can change (Monitor settings in the "secret" menu) is already exposed.

Just an Idea I had:

could you change the tires you get when buying a road car to comfort tires, and the ones from the used car shops to cheap tires (except race cars in the used car shop)

it would add to the realism and actually put some use to these tires. like who would ever put them on by themselves?

and another:
Beginner course without the chicane.

Last edited:
Since we can now more reliably edit the game's data I've started branching out into making fixes and adjustments for certain cars and their upgrades, with some help from fellow car/accuracy nuts like pez2k and Submaniac.

The first of which isn't really a visual change, but now the 1963 Corvette C2 has some more realistic transmission options:
  • The stock 3 speed gearbox has had its ratios made more accurate as PD seemed to be using rather rounded numbers
  • The first upgrade level ("Close" in-game) is now set to the exact ratios of the M20 4 speed gearbox that was available as an option
  • The second upgrade level ("Super Close") is now a 5 speed manual that matches the ratios of the Tremec TKO, a popular transmission swap for muscle cars
  • Full Customise is the same as the game's generic 5 speec with generated customisable ratios
A couple of questions related to this:
  1. Is it possible to display the number of gears a particular transmission upgrade will provide? Or other details like final drive ratio? If not in-game, then perhaps a spreadsheet or something for reference?
  2. Do other cars' transmission upgrades appear to be based on the gear ratios of real life trasmission options? For older cars in particular I think there were often several options, both OEM and aftermarket, so if you'd like any help tracking down some real life ratios, let me know.
  3. Do the close and super-close transmissions add any sound to the car the way the Full Custom one does? I tend to avoid the FC transmission because I think the gear whine it adds is part of what gives GT4 its notorious "vacuum cleaner" feeling and ruins the uniqueness of engine sounds.

A couple of questions related to this:
  1. Is it possible to display the number of gears a particular transmission upgrade will provide? Or other details like final drive ratio? If not in-game, then perhaps a spreadsheet or something for reference?
  2. Do other cars' transmission upgrades appear to be based on the gear ratios of real life trasmission options? For older cars in particular I think there were often several options, both OEM and aftermarket, so if you'd like any help tracking down some real life ratios, let me know.
  3. Do the close and super-close transmissions add any sound to the car the way the Full Custom one does? I tend to avoid the FC transmission because I think the gear whine it adds is part of what gives GT4 its notorious "vacuum cleaner" feeling and ruins the uniqueness of engine sounds.
1. I can do this in the tooltip text that appears below it, after the gearbox's name or something like that. If there are any issues doing it that way I'll probably just document them outside of the game.
2. If you mean vanilla, then no, it looks like they're just generic auto-calculated gearboxes. You can't have real ratios and customisable ratios, so I thought I'd rather go with real ratios for the few that I'll mod.
3. As far as I'm aware it's only racing that changes it. That also means anything I replace racing with will also have that sound, so I'm trying to just replace C and SC, leaving racing to be a generic customisable one.

I wouldn't mind researching some real gear ratios for C and SC gearboxes for some classic cars, particularly those that really struggle with their stock gearbox.

Honestly if you send me a list of cars that might benefit from it (or a list of cars you've already worked on so I can avoid those), I'd go compile whatever info I could find. I am also apparently a car/accuracy nut.

Been a while since I've actually worked on Spec II but here are some changes that will lay the groundwork for new events.

You can now specify a minimum required weight for events (original game only supported maximum), and the ability to specify displacement min/max requirements:
1695485563641.png

1695485572153.png

(The restrictions won't be used on these specific events, they were just quick tests)

Quick opinion poll for anyone who reads this.

Context: I've seen numerous complaints over the years that GT4's physics are rather dull or not lively enough. I strongly disagree with this and feel the problem stems from the fact most cars come stock with Sport Mediums. Without any incentive to change, people stick with these grippy tires and end up with rather similar feeling cars. I'm considering dropping the stock tires for road cars to what NTSC refers to as "Road", the ones just below Sport Hards.

To me this has a few nice benefits:
  • Incentivises people to either get acquainted with the more realistic tires or budget a little more smartly having to spend more often on tires
  • Feels more lively and increases the AI's advantage a little (because god knows they need one)
  • Makes stock cars feels more like what you experienced in the licences

But I want to know what people think - react to this post with the shocked emote if you'd like Road to be the stock tire, or react with the thinking emote to keep it the same.

Context: I've seen numerous complaints over the years that GT4's physics are rather dull or not lively enough. I strongly disagree with this and feel the problem stems from the fact most cars come stock with Sport Mediums. Without any incentive to change, people stick with these grippy tires and end up with rather similar feeling cars. I'm considering dropping the stock tires for road cars to what NTSC refers to as "Road", the ones just below Sport Hards.

• Incentivises people to either get acquainted with the more realistic tires or budget a little more smartly having to spend more often on tires
  • Feels more lively and increases the AI's advantage a little (because god knows they need one)

But I want to know what people think - react to this post with the shocked emote if you'd like Road to be the stock tire, or react with the thinking emote to keep it the same.
I agree with this.

Although, N3 Road tires are completely superior to N1 Economy and N2 Comfort tires for everything except endurance racing. Even if they're free to purchase, there might be a similar problem where no one ever uses N1 Economy or N2 Comfort. Maybe make the N2 tires as default?

Aside from that, yes, having to actually buy competition tires makes a lot of sense.

Speaking of tires...is there a way to set tire restrictions for the wet tracks? It's weird how racing slicks, of all things, provide the best grip on wet pavement.

I agree with this.

Although, N3 Road tires are completely superior to N1 Economy and N2 Comfort tires for everything except endurance racing. Even if they're free to purchase, there might be a similar problem where no one ever uses N1 Economy or N2 Comfort. Maybe make the N2 tires as default?

Aside from that, yes, having to actually buy competition tires makes a lot of sense.

Speaking of tires...is there a way to set tire restrictions for the wet tracks? It's weird how racing slicks, of all things, provide the best grip on wet pavement.
I can likely add specific restrictions for things like that - I could segment the tires by power, so under 120 might have economy, 120 to 170 has comfort, and 200-300 has road etc. Depends how much control I have over the car-get screen.

Since there are only three events using Tsukuba I could always just set it to have the same Standard/Sports only restriction that most events have.

I can likely add specific restrictions for things like that - I could segment the tires by power, so under 120 might have economy, 120 to 170 has comfort, and 200-300 has road etc. Depends how much control I have over the car-get screen.

Since there are only three events using Tsukuba I could always just set it to have the same Standard/Sports only restriction that most events have.
What about power-to-weight? A heavier car would push its own tires down better, wouldn't it? Not to mention the influence of the drivetrain.

Last edited:
Wanted to just put this out there but could your current selected car's text be fixed to show the whole string instead of the elipsis overflow (...)

Maybe have it for only used cars? If it's even possible to have it only for them.

Maybe have it for only used cars? If it's even possible to have it only for them.
Personally, I'd only have tuner cars come standard with Sports class tires. Since tuner cars are made by specialized shops who can source high end parts, it makes sense. However, I have a hard time buying that, say, a typical Honda dealer would offer competition tires on a stock model Civic or Accord...or even a Prelude.

Personally, I'd only have tuner cars come standard with Sports class tires. Since tuner cars are made by specialized shops who can source high end parts, it makes sense. However, I have a hard time buying that, say, a typical Honda dealer would offer competition tires on a stock model Civic or Accord...or even a Prelude.
What about more performance oriented cars, like a Type R Honda, M3 GTR, or SLR McLaren?

I vote for N2 tires to be the standart for bought road cars
N1 ("cheap") tires maybe for used car shop bought vehicles only.

N3 would make for an easy, free upgrade (though personally i'd charge like 200cr for them), so all 3 road tires could see some use in regular gameplay.

The only thing that could get messy is more performance oriented cars in the used car shop having cheap tires.
For example: surely the "shadow" lmp cars shouldn't be sold with cheap road tires.

Last edited:
Comparing the game to real life I would say that in-game "Road"/N3 is about equivalent to real life sporty tires. My SL500 is on some decent-brand somewhat sporty tires, and the virtual counterpart feels about right with N3 on it.

Considering that some slightly more powerful road cars like this or the E55/M5/etc should have some weightiness and some swing to them, I think they should still be on road tires. I think honestly the best logic might be the following:
  • Blanket change every road category car worth under, say, 150k, to have N3 tires stock
  • Manually correct any truly erroneous outliers from the above change
  • Concept and tuner category cars have SH tires stock regardless of price
  • Racing category cars (which includes rally) are completely unchanged
And for anything else that still doesn't look right, well... the old Sport Mediums are still buyable and aren't exactly pricey :lol:

Last edited:
Hi,

First, you are doing an outstanding work with that mod and I can't wait to play it when it will be fully out.

Are you planning some changes on the prize cars? Like for example, changing the cadillac cien as a prize car for Rally D'Umbria - Easy, since its literally game breaking? I think it would be a nice QoL change.

Cheers

Hi,

First, you are doing an outstanding work with that mod and I can't wait to play it when it will be fully out.

Are you planning some changes on the prize cars? Like for example, changing the cadillac cien as a prize car for Rally D'Umbria - Easy, since its literally game breaking? I think it would be a nice QoL change.

Cheers
Every prize is being changed in some way, yeah, so even with the randomizer turned off you'll have a different experience to vanilla.

Every prize is being changed in some way, yeah, so even with the randomizer turned off you'll have a different experience to vanilla.
Would it be possible to have a pool of possible cars for each event, kinda like GT3?

So it's random, but each even has different cars it can pick from.

Would it be possible to have a pool of possible cars for each event, kinda like GT3?

So it's random, but each even has different cars it can pick from.
Possible yes, but with so many events in GT4 I might just want to keep it as one per event. Something to consider as I progress.

It would definitely be good for adding variety between playthroughs, while also not being as unbalanced as full randomizer.
I would agree with this as a prerefence, it would add replayability to the events beyond just enjoying a particular event and/or grinding for credits. But it isn't something that would make or break the mod, it'd be a nice to have, depending on the amount of time and work involved in planning and implementing it.

Just stick with one prize for the longer Endurance races please :lol:.

Last edited:
Hi there @TheAdmiester ! I have a question regarding defaut car setups. Is it possible to change default downforce balance, suspension values and LSD values (for cars that have it from the factory) as well as brake balance?

I 100% agree on the comfort tire choice for stock vehicles as mentioned above, however I feel that stock cars with an LSD from the factory behave like they have an open diff. Also, based on my testing, with some small tweek to downforce and brake balance is possible to archieve a much more natural behaviour. If this ends up to be doable (and doesn't break the AI) I think that it would be a worthwhile effort, also because some cars are set up in a strange way.

I also want to suggest a QoL improvement: is possible to add a little check mark on owned cars in the dealership as well as in used car dealership? Something like the check mark for favourite cars in arcade mode.

Thank you (and all the other people involved in this project) for your efforts in creating this mod!

Hi there @TheAdmiester ! I have a question regarding defaut car setups. Is it possible to change default downforce balance, suspension values and LSD values (for cars that have it from the factory) as well as brake balance?

I 100% agree on the comfort tire choice for stock vehicles as mentioned above, however I feel that stock cars with an LSD from the factory behave like they have an open diff. Also, based on my testing, with some small tweek to downforce and brake balance is possible to archieve a much more natural behaviour. If this ends up to be doable (and doesn't break the AI) I think that it would be a worthwhile effort, also because some cars are set up in a strange way.

I also want to suggest a QoL improvement: is possible to add a little check mark on owned cars in the dealership as well as in used car dealership? Something like the check mark for favourite cars in arcade mode.

Thank you (and all the other people involved in this project) for your efforts in creating this mod!
Everything listed is possible, but just a case of how deep I want to go with the mod. I don't have any personal issues with the handling of any cars when stock, but if you have a list of examples that isn't too long I could potentially look into it.

Checkmarks isn't a bad idea at all and I could look into how much effort it would be.

Back