Gran Turismo 4 Modding Discussion

Hello. I am very excited to find this community today, and I salute you for still working on improving Gran Turismo 4.
I have a question, is there any chance to add Japanese language?

Last edited:
Hello. I am very excited to find this community today, and I salute you for still working on improving Gran Turismo 4.
I have a question, is there any chance to add Japanese language?
Unlikely since as far as I'm aware the two regions use entirely different font sets, which can't be switched on the fly.

Would it be possible to have a pool of possible cars for each event, kinda like GT3?

So it's random, but each even has different cars it can pick from.
Oh please no, this is the part of GT3 I've hated the most, basically I always got the worst prize car possible and it was not fun at all. It also reminded me of all the loot boxes we have in modern day gaming.
One specific prize car is so much better. Even if its bad you know someone actually thought about it and deliberately put it there which is quite opposite to GT3 where it was literally dumb luck.

Oh please no, this is the part of GT3 I've hated the most, basically I always got the worst prize car possible and it was not fun at all. It also reminded me of all the loot boxes we have in modern day gaming.
One specific prize car is so much better. Even if its bad you know someone actually thought about it and deliberately put it there which is quite opposite to GT3 where it was literally dumb luck.
I found it was good motivation to repeat events in GT1 ad GT2. GT3 was a bit different as the possible prizes in many events were so disconnected from one another, with some events awarding either a Yaris of a Formula GT, as per your final comment.

If the possible prize cars were all approriate to the event as they were in GT1 and GT2, then it would be nice to repeat events for different prizes. But it would require rebalancing the game considerably to do this for GT4 IMO. So thin for example, you could win a Toyota GT-One or an R390 GT1, either prize would be worthwhile winning. In GT3 it was far too random for each event. And that's before you think about the events where you ended up winning the car you needed to complete the event.

Other than the unbalanced prize cars, GT3 was a fine game though.

I don't mean exactly like GT3.

Instead of being able to win a Civic, Mx5, or a race car, you'd be able to win a Civic, Integra, or CRX. All cars from the same category and class.

There are people on YouTube using this mod, yet there is no link posted here. What's going on?

@Nenkai
Is it possible to modify the GT4 save so that all cars are unlocked in arcade mode?

Last edited:
Everything listed is possible, but just a case of how deep I want to go with the mod. I don't have any personal issues with the handling of any cars when stock, but if you have a list of examples that isn't too long I could potentially look into it.

Checkmarks isn't a bad idea at all and I could look into how much effort it would be.
I have driven all the vehicles, one by one and listed them (including regional variations) in an Excel file. For each vehicle I reported eventual problems I encountered. 80-ish vehicles needs to be modified but about 60 of theese 80 cars just needs the LSD to be removed since their real counterparts doesn't have it. The remaining ones needs some settings modifications but nothing too crazy. I also listed for each car the default tire i would choose. Hope it can be somewhat useful for what are you trying to achieve with the mod.

Attachments

• GT4 Spec II Suggestions.xlsx
    34.4 KB · Views: 26
I have driven all the vehicles, one by one and listed them (including regional variations) in an Excel file. For each vehicle I reported eventual problems I encountered. 80-ish vehicles needs to be modified but about 60 of theese 80 cars just needs the LSD to be removed since their real counterparts doesn't have it. The remaining ones needs some settings modifications but nothing too crazy. I also listed for each car the default tire i would choose. Hope it can be somewhat useful for what are you trying to achieve with the mod.
I respect your efforts! Perhaps the really old race cars like the Chaparrals, Chevy C2 Race Car, etc. should be on R1 instead of R2? Those having the same grip as the more modern cars in the game doesn't seem quite right.

Yes, it's pretty easy too. Nenkai wrote an editor for the SpecDB that contains all of the car parts, so it's just a case of adding entries to the turbo kit table for the Camaro with whatever values you want.

Yes, it's pretty easy too. Nenkai wrote an editor for the SpecDB that contains all of the car parts, so it's just a case of adding entries to the turbo kit table for the Camaro with whatever values you want.
are there any detailed instrutions? I tried adding an entry in the TURBINEKIT table, using the GTSpecDB editor, but the game doesn't register the added part.

are there any detailed instrutions? I tried adding an entry in the TURBINEKIT table, using the GTSpecDB editor, but the game doesn't register the added part.
You might've missed rebuilding the CARS files, which I believe is in the File menu. Those also need to be rebuilt when adding new parts.

I've had a look through this and it seems good, although I'm curious what the findings were based on - some cars like the A160 are listed as having an LSD stock, but when I check their DEFAULT_PARTS entries, they have no LSD assigned stock.

Last edited:
I've had a look through this and it seems good, although I'm curious what the findings were based on - some cars like the A160 are listed as having an LSD stock, but when I check their DEFAULT_PARTS entries, they have no LSD assigned stock.
Are you referring to the Alpine A110 '73? In that case yes, the car has no LSD, in fact i wrote that an LSD was offered as an optional in the real car and I suggested a setting if you ever wanted to install it. Depends on your preferences, really, and how much time you want to spend on this small detail. With an LSD that thing is lovely though :sly:

Also to answer your question on what the findings were based on, I just drifted every car at tsukuba :D

Are you referring to the Alpine A110 '73? In that case yes, the car has no LSD, in fact i wrote that an LSD was offered as an optional in the real car and I suggested a setting if you ever wanted to install it. Depends on your preferences, really, and how much time you want to spend on this small detail. With an LSD that thing is lovely though :sly:

Also to answer your question on what the findings were based on, I just drifted every car at tsukuba :D
I mean the Mercedes A160, but there are a few others that are listed as "car has an LSD but it shouldn't" where I see no LSD assigned stock.
Could it be that the game isn't quite accurate at simulating what you're feeling for, so some cars come across as if they have an LSD when they don't?

You might've missed rebuilding the CARS files, which I believe is in the File menu. Those also need to be rebuilt when adding new parts.
Yeah, someone on the GT4 Enhanced Discord said I had to add the new entry within the CARS file using a Hex editor. It works, now.
Will that file cover transmission types? For example, a lot of cars should feature a torque converter transmission as standard, like with the Mercedes SL55 AMG.

I mean the Mercedes A160, but there are a few others that are listed as "car has an LSD but it shouldn't" where I see no LSD assigned stock.
Could it be that the game isn't quite accurate at simulating what you're feeling for, so some cars come across as if they have an LSD when they don't?
Could be. Maybe the fact that has low power and a lot of weight in the front made the car grip a lot and tricked me.

Yeah, someone on the GT4 Enhanced Discord said I had to add the new entry within the CARS file using a Hex editor. It works, now.

Will that file cover transmission types? For example, a lot of cars should feature a torque converter transmission as standard, like with the Mercedes SL55 AMG.
The SpecDB editor can rebuild it as well, I'd recommend doing that instead - nothing wrong with getting used to hex editing, but it's quicker and less mistake-prone to use the tooling.

As for transmissions I think I've covered almost everything that needs a torque converter already, but if anyone has any suggestions that might not be immediately obvious I can check them out. I've already done the likes of the Chevy SSR, Chrysler 300C, most Mercedes, etc.

The SpecDB editor can rebuild it as well, I'd recommend doing that instead - nothing wrong with getting used to hex editing, but it's quicker and less mistake-prone to use the tooling.

As for transmissions I think I've covered almost everything that needs a torque converter already, but if anyone has any suggestions that might not be immediately obvious I can check them out. I've already done the likes of the Chevy SSR, Chrysler 300C, most Mercedes, etc.
How do I make the SpecDB editor open the files in the CARS folder? As far as I can tell, it can't read the data at all, hence why I'm using a Hex editor for those specific files.

As for the transmissions, as far as I can tell, there's a good bunch indeed. I'll post a list after going over the table and researching.

How do I make the SpecDB editor open the files in the CARS folder? As far as I can tell, it can't read the data at all, hence why I'm using a Hex editor for those specific files.
It doesn't read them because it doesn't need to, they're just built once you've made changes to the database itself, and clicked the bottom option in this pic:
1700501864214.png

It doesn't read them because it doesn't need to, they're just built once you've made changes to the database itself, and clicked the bottom option in this pic:
View attachment 1305099
If I insert a turbo upgrade in the TURBINEKIT table and save normally, the game won't recognize the new part unless I manually go inside the CARS folder, open a file in a Hex editor and insert the ID myself.

Assuming I click that third option, will it see that new turbo upgrade, guess which vehicle it's meant for and edit the appropriate vehicle in the CARS folder?

If I insert a turbo upgrade in the TURBINEKIT table and save normally, the game won't recognize the new part unless I manually go inside the CARS folder, open a file in a Hex editor and insert the ID myself.

Assuming I click that third option, will it see that new turbo upgrade, guess which vehicle it's meant for and edit the appropriate vehicle in the CARS folder?
It will, because the files inside the CARS folder are mapped to the same IDs as the cars in the main database, just represented a different way. I've added and changed upgrades myself without ever hex editing those files.

It will, because the files inside the CARS folder are mapped to the same IDs as the cars in the main database, just represented a different way. I've added and changed upgrades myself without ever hex editing those files.
ah, I see now. I've gotten that method to work as well. Thanks for the tip!

Alright...so after going the GEAR table, these cars seem like they have a torque converter. Small note, a few of those are more personal opinion than fact.

All of Acura NSX cars, with appropriate replacement gear ratios and engine, to be different from the JDM models

ID_____NAME

4073___Alfa Romeo 166

4047___Buick GNX

3706___Citroen C5 '03

4238___Citroen Xantia V6

3871___Chevrolet Corvette C1

3614___Chevrolet SSR

6416___Chrysler 300c

4236___Chrysler Prowler (needs new gear ratios)

4162___Daihatsu Move

4440___Dodge Ram (needs new gear ratios as well)

4054___Eagle Talon (also needs new ratios, to be different from JDM Eclipse)

4411___Ford F150 Lightning

4487___Honda Accord '88

4078___Honda Element

4146___Jensen Interceptor

4523___Lexus GS300 '91

4524___Lexus GS300 '00

4525___Lexus GS300 Vertex

3947___Lexus IS

3955___Mazda Mazda6 TMV

4102___Mazda Protege

4082___Mazda RX-8 Type E

3921___Mercedes CL600

3922___Mercedes CLK55 AMG

4057___Mercedes E55 AMG

4043___Mercedes SL500 '02

4299___Mercedes SL500 '98

4057___Mercedes SL55 AMG

4317___Mercedes SL600 '04

4410___Mercedes SL600 '98

4318___Mercedes SL65 AMG

4441___Mercedes SLR McLaren

3689___Mitsubishi HSR-II

3797___Nissan Cube '98

3692___Nissan Cube '02

3616___Pontiac Sunfire

4529___Scion xA

4530___Scion xB

4085___Suzuki Alto

4324___Suzuki MR Wagon

4086___Toyota Caldina GT Four

4068___Toyota Voltz

3620___Will VS

Last edited:
1700539566898.png

Another suggestion I came up with. This is a table with SAE Net power values for the classic muscle cars. Because such data is poorly documented (to put it mildly), this data is in no way absolute. I do, however, think these values are within the ballpark.

I don't know if this has been asked at an earlier point in the thread but will cars with incorrect in-game statistics be altered? for example the egregious case of the Volvo 240 being both overweight and underpowered.

I don't know if this has been asked at an earlier point in the thread but will cars with incorrect in-game statistics be altered? for example the egregious case of the Volvo 240 being both overweight and underpowered.
I can tell you one thing, the muscle cars definitely handle better with SAE Net ratings and more realistic gear ratios.

If there's a reliable source for why they're wrong and what the correct figures are, sure.

Power and torque figures are actually slightly overrated, and they got the weight completely wrong too. Based on various websites the real specs are the following:

Real specs:
84 kW (113 hp), 185Nm (136 ft lb), 1350kg (2976 lb);

In-game specs (arcade mode):
95 kW (127 hp), 190Nm (140 ft lb), 1890kg (4166 lb).

It seems that they confused the curb weight with the maximum permissible weight which is around 1800+kg.

Back