Gran Turismo 4 Prologue lesson guide (PAL version)

• Thread starter CooperS
  • 109 comments
vrmx
I'd like to have, if possible, all your replays on X-Port format :).
Vrmx why demand all replays 👎
Some people might want to see yours i will be posting a few but not all them my surrgestion is the people with a top ten time is to post a replay in fact i may just open up a thread for gt4p replays and m-pegs(mr P will be there all day)
Vrmx not all people have x-port shark-port and not a lot of people like there ghost to be gunned down like me as i seen one of my time's go down last night(mr P)lol

I may try to get a reply up or two. I do not have x-port, so I will have to plug my digicam into my vcr and record a replay and put it on my pc and try and get it to a low file size. I dunno how i'll do all this :P

Mr P
For best results ... right click and save as .... and play in Divx player/ realone player /windows media 9.

Mr P - GT4P - Test 9 - Copen @Cita - 15.907

Thanks to Daan for Hosting 👍 :cheers:

Excellent job (both Mr P and Daan 👍 ) After downloading the divX player I could finally see it. Mr P how on earth did you think of shifting to third gear so early? This must be the trick, will try it later

Update: did a 15.958 thanks to the replay!

Thanks again :)

Venom77
Vrmx why demand all replays 👎
No I didn't demand all replays. I just asked IF it was possible for you to get them all published but no problem if you can't :).

Sure I can post the replays of my drives which are in the top 10 in some tests in the database 👍. It's just going to take a while as my PC just screwed up today, had to reinstall windows two times and I still need to format the hd to get everything right :(.

CooperS
Excellent job (both Mr P and Daan 👍 ) After downloading the divX player I could finally see it. Mr P how on earth did you think of shifting to third gear so early? This must be the trick, will try it later

Update: did a 15.958 thanks to the replay!

Thanks again :)

Great time mate 👍 ... Glad I could help

Gearing up to 3rd at 76-77 kmh was optimum for me after many tests :)

GTmaniac
Mr P,did you make that time with DS2 or with Wheel,Thanks in advance for answering...!
Yesterday 11:49 PM

DS2 for me on all GT4P lessons 👍 ... Last time I used my wheel was Rallying on GT3 :)

Thanks for the comments guys:cheers: I will make some more Mpeg replays soon ;)

I was thinking maybe I would show my Prius test 36 next :sly:

Laters all
Ron.

Mr P
Great time mate 👍 ... Glad I could help

Gearing up to 3rd at 76-77 kmh was optimum for me after many tests :)

DS2 for me on all GT4P lessons 👍 ... Last time I used my wheel was Rallying on GT3 :)

Thanks for the comments guys:cheers: I will make some more Mpeg replays soon ;)

Laters all
Ron.

Hi Mr P, thanks for the 👍 I already had the line down but was messing with when to change to third but this early, I would never have figured this out without your replay 👍

I am surprised you use the DS2, good to see the top times can be done using a DS2 :) About the other replays, yes please as many as possible :)

Mr P

Laters all
Ron.

That would be great,because I was 3.5 sec slower then you on that lesson...!That would really help me to improove my time on lesson 38.

I've got all gold upto the 4th purple test!!

I got the slalom test by .002 of a second!! Phew...

The technique I used was to use manual Accelerate upto about 110 KPH and second gear and then tap the accelerator repeatedly and maintain that speed and just steer smoothly through the cones... til the last but one... then floor it and change into 3rd... this time could most likely be improved by taking the speed up a little bit... but I've got the gold and don't care anymore at the moment... not until all purple gold is in my bag!!

C.

Change to 3rd at the last 3 sets of cone's the car should just glide through with a bit of speed great slalom test i love it 👍 :)

I added all the tips that were mentioned so far.

Venom77, could you elaborate on your tip at lesson 21 (first corner in third of the mid section at New York)?
What speed do you drive into the corner, after braking?
When do you step on the gas, before you turn in or after?

Third gear seems impossible for me, I always have to change to second gear.

PS anybody who can improve on my wall ridden lesson 24 time of 16.183?

PPS Mr P, all your times are gone from the German GTP4 database, what happened?

Hey man sorry i meant a totally different course :dunce:

I must have drunk to many :cheers:

Sorry again

Dont no what's happend with mr P maybe somebody's p***ed him off 👎
He will be back 👍

You will have to get x-port matey i give you replays

Saying it is easy doing it is a different story 👍

Sorry about the double post

Hey that's impressive! I left this one for last. Just couldnt crack it. Any test where you're not going flat out is a real pain for me. But ever since I got gold there, I've become obsessed with going faster and faster...

Hey Mr P... Can you get one up for the Time Trial at New York...

That's the hardest test in the game and I still can't work out the braking points properly!!

C.

OK then... I got it late last night... here's my tips for the braking spots on this course...

First bend. Brake a little before half way between the last two distance markers down to 2nd gear and cruise round the bend... I then tap the handbrake to bring the rear round and floor it...

Second bend...

After blasting down the second straight you should be well in excess of 250 KPH so this braking point is crucial...

The way I could visualise it was when the split times hit the second distance marker I stamped on the brakes down to second gear and smoothly through the bend and out the other side...

Third bend... you get some arrows down the right hand side of the track... Brake as the last arrow hits the side of your screen...

The next bend I couldn't quite work out... but I found that there was often little need to actually go up to 3rd gear so you can leave it in 2nd tap the brake and accelerate hard down to the hardest bit of the course and up into 3rd (Don't go into 4th)...

As you approach this bend keep it wide and then brake deep into the bend whilst changing into 2nd (Stay in 2nd for the rest of these bends)... smoothly roll through the next corner and brake sharply and turn right into the 3rd bend... stay as far right as possible and when you can full power through the last bend and up the straight... this is a crucial bend as you will lose a lot of time here if you get it wrong...

Up the gears to 4th... Don't bother changing into 5th... as you approach the carousel keep left and brake a bit as you turn in right... miss the left hand side of the course then drop the gears into 2nd and brake hard (If you're too late on this then you will hit the other side and fail... Stay in 2nd round the carousel tapping the accelerator trying to keep to the inside as much as poss... then hit the power hard as you come out the other end but make sure you don't hit either the entrance or exit wall as this will lose you major speed (And may cause you to fail) if you can keep it smooth then you can change into 3rd halfway through the bends... if not then avoid changing as you will slide into the wall and lose loads of speed.

Blast it down the back straight and you will just about make it into 5th gear a second before you cross the line!!

I was really struggling with this test in automatic (I couldn't even get silver!) and changed into Manual to do it... after a couple of mis attempts I made it round the track in what I thought to be not that special a time... I was a second up on my Auto time... I kept trying and got Gold... with .350 of a second to spare!!

I hope these tips are useful!

C.

PS Sorry for double post!

LESSON 06: Basics of driving on a dirt surface - This is the worst test in the whole game. U can drive ur b0llocks off for 5 laps and still need .5 sec to get Gold. I've taken this test 100+ times, and I still need .5 sec to get Gold. The PS2, game and steering wheel are all about to find out if they can fly. I've had enough of that silly little car.

I wouldn't mind if I could see where I needed to make up the time, but there's nothing that looks wrong. Slides are down to a minimum. I never clip the barrier and I've gotten to a point where I don't even need to brake anymore. What a silly test.

Cheers

1 very pissed off Jamie

j8mie
LESSON 06: Basics of driving on a dirt surface - This is the worst test in the whole game. U can drive ur b0llocks off for 5 laps and still need .5 sec to get Gold. I've taken this test 100+ times, and I still need .5 sec to get Gold. The PS2, game and steering wheel are all about to find out if they can fly. I've had enough of that stupid ****ty little car.

I wouldn't mind if I could see where I needed to make up the time, but there's nothing that looks wrong. Slides are down to a minimum. I never clip the barrier and I've gotten to a point where I don't even need to brake anymore. What a stupid ****ing test.

Cheers

1 very pissed off Jamie

Hi j8mie, have you tried to compare your run to the demo? Load the saved replay of your best run till now. Start the lesson guide and press the select button after it started, you will see your run in the lesson guide now. It should make it easier to see where you are loosing time. Did you try to start with less than full throttle at the start? This will save you almost a full second!

Keep at it, it will come 👍

Its a tough one J8mie :crazy:

I've got a ghost lap you can follow if you have x-port. Its not the fastest but its a gold.

It might help you see where you lose time :)

Attachments

• Lesson6.xps
    44.2 KB · Views: 13
CooperS - I got the starting down to a T with manual gears. Not having to change up or down again was great, as I'm not used to manual gears.......yets. Thanx 4 the tips.

Cheers for that Tacet Blue..............however after more hours than I care to acknowledge I have finally done it. Turns out I was losing far too much time/speed through the 2nd & 3rd corners.

Cheers

1 very happy Jamie

Yeah you need to be "slow" through the 2nd corner so that you can be faster through the 3rd corner that links to the 4th and into the 5th... the distance of being slow between 2-3 is far outweighed by being fast 3-4-5...

That test was a tricky little one although my main tip for that is to start in manual and as soon as you get into 2nd gear... stay there!! The AT always seems to change you up and down round a couple of the bends and that costs you a lot of time...

C.

Lesson 27 - Does anyone have any more tips for this lesson. I'm almost there on this one, only .050 sec off the Gold time. I use manual gearsand my lovely DFP :D

I think I'm either losing time because I'm braking too early or because when I come out of the corner the car very slightly fish tails, and I think that might be costing me this time.

When do most people start braking, just before or just after the other car? And do they find their car fish tails out of the corner like mine?

Cheers

Jamie

Back