Gran Turismo 4 Prologue lesson guide (PAL version)

• Thread starter CooperS
  • 109 comments
This one was tricky... I found that using the method of the previous test gave me the best time... (i.e. not using the outside line but using the inside line!!)

If you're 0.05 off then you're doing it all right and you just need to nail it ever so slightly better... keep trying and you'll have it soon!!

C.

Great thread 👍, this guide made me pass some lessons which were a pain in the *ss. Passed all the lessons with gold, only have to complete Coffee Break 5 to have all golds.

yeti
This one was tricky... I found that using the method of the previous test gave me the best time... (i.e. not using the outside line but using the inside line!!)

If you're 0.05 off then you're doing it all right and you just need to nail it ever so slightly better... keep trying and you'll have it soon!!

C.

I'll try the method of the lesson before, as I easily got Gold on that one. I was thinking of trying that but felt that I'd only end up hitting the other car from behind all the time.

In fact I'm only .025 off Gold time now. I had a few more goes last night, and got it down even more. I'm just worried that I'm losing time when I accerate out of the corner and the car fish tails.

It's a shame that they don't show the ideal line makrings on the track. I found those very useful when trying to learn the tracks and certain corners.

Cheers

Jamie

Hi j8mie
Lesson 27 - For me using manual was way faster. The automatic changes gears when the RPM reaches the red zone. If you use manual you can go into the red zone (shifting later). This way I was ahead of the other car before the corner (on the inside). I think I shift up one gear just before the rev limiter kicks in to gain just a little bit extra. While braking shift down to the second if I remember correctly.

I take the corner the same as lesson 8 (or 9): stay on the curb if possible (shortest distance) and once you start accelerating do not let go of the gas. If necessary shift up.

Hope this helps

j8mie
I'll try the method of the lesson before, as I easily got Gold on that one. I was thinking of trying that but felt that I'd only end up hitting the other car from behind all the time.

In fact I'm only .025 off Gold time now. I had a few more goes last night, and got it down even more. I'm just worried that I'm losing time when I accerate out of the corner and the car fish tails.

It's a shame that they don't show the ideal line makrings on the track. I found those very useful when trying to learn the tracks and certain corners.

Cheers

Jamie

Hi j8mie forget about what I wrote earlier (was late) I had lesson 26 in mind. I tried it just now and have to say it is partly luck how to get the gold.

When the lesson starts I use the directional buttons to take the first left on the inside. I change gear (to 3rd) at around 128 km/h. Try to slip stream a little and steer to the left outside. Somewhere (on the leftside) the second left corner has a tiny angle in the white line. That is where I start braking. I brake till about 60 km/h and let go of the gas and steer in inside the other car (left analog stick). When the car reaches around 50 (or a little below that) I step up the gas and correct coming out of the corner using the directional buttons. Using the left analog stick does make the car tail happy.

Hope this helps you better than my earlier sleep drunk post :)

PS HansH you're welcome. 👍

j8mie

Cheers

Jamie

Press R3... sometimes they can be turned on on some of the tests that don't have them... (R3 will also turn them off when they're on too!)

C.

Im glad they turned them off in later tests, If I know they are there I use them (even if I dont want too), but then I feel like Im cheating. I feel much more satisfaction when I get gold without them.

You use them subconciouslly when they are there!! Sometimes I disagress with the lines they give you too!!

C.

I added another tip on lesson 6 (on the first page) this way even in the PAL version a time below 1.24 can be done ! Thanks to Edmar 👍

CooperS

Last edited by a moderator:
I find Lesson 39 in the lancer very hard :S I think I'm losing all my time in the final corner. How do I take that?

And the final Coffee Break I managed to get about 5th full go. It was the best CB lesson so far. CB4 is impossible.

Lesson 39 is the GT40 round New York, do you mean Lesson 37, and I think it is an Evo VIII, but I could be wrong there.

Edit: ok it is a Lancer Evo VIII :dunce:

Coffee Break 5 is impossible!! :scared: I have Gold on everything except CB5, where I have Bronze, and I'm never doing it again :lol: (ok I might try again now I have a DFP)

If you mean lesson 37, the last corner will flling you to the outside. I brake early, keep it smooth, and then come in to the kerb, then slowly try and give it more gas, hooking the blue kerb helps, and just before the kerb runs out...floor it!!

I think I have a replay if you have x-port, I'll attach it later (when I fish it out my PS2) if you like. :)

Edit: Attached a replay, I make a bad mistake on second corner :dunce: so there is room for improvement, and I must have dreamt the blue kerb....its red!

Hello people
I have a question.Is there some kind of trick in that last coffee break.My best so far is 37.### sec.I belive that I can do under 37 sec or maybe even under 36 sec but I see at gtde that some people went under 33 sec.That time is unbeliveble to me. :crazy:

37secs is very good 👍

I think it beats most people here, so you may have already worked out the "trick" with that one!

Thats the only one I don't have gold on...I hate it! :crazy:

Tacet_Blue
37secs is very good 👍

I think it beats most people here, so you may have already worked out the "trick" with that one!

Thats the only one I don't have gold on...I hate it! :crazy:
Thx 👍 ,but the time isn't so good,I will try it again some time! :)
I hate it too,because on other coffe breaks I have good times but this one.... :yuck:
BTW:I'm waiting for Max Drive to come in Croatia(so I can buy it).Then I should be ablle to proove my times with replay's! :)

Tacet_Blue
Lesson 39 is the GT40 round New York, do you mean Lesson 37, and I think it is an Evo VIII, but I could be wrong there.

Edit: ok it is a Lancer Evo VIII :dunce:

Coffee Break 5 is impossible!! :scared: I have Gold on everything except CB5, where I have Bronze, and I'm never doing it again :lol: (ok I might try again now I have a DFP)

If you mean lesson 37, the last corner will flling you to the outside. I brake early, keep it smooth, and then come in to the kerb, then slowly try and give it more gas, hooking the blue kerb helps, and just before the kerb runs out...floor it!!

I think I have a replay if you have x-port, I'll attach it later (when I fish it out my PS2) if you like. :)

Edit: Attached a replay, I make a bad mistake on second corner :dunce: so there is room for improvement, and I must have dreamt the blue kerb....its red!

Yeah the last corner is make or break... my major tip is break late into the corner but brake hard... so you're quite slow but you are wide... then get the car under control and by this time you should have an a good run out on the corner floor it... the trick is to get as much speed coming out of the turn rather than trying to carry too much speed round the turn... (Slow in fast out!) and watch out for the bit where it tightens... many a lap has been burnt meters before the finishing line cos of that bit!!

C.

Great tread Cooper S, i hope i can finaly get gold on lesson 6 :dopey:
I tried manual this morning and i got my time up to around 2.29...., but i could'nt beat that. So now i'l try your discription, hope it works.

den brakke
Great tread Cooper S, i hope i can finaly get gold on lesson 6 :dopey:
I tried manual this morning and i got my time up to around 2.29...., but i could'nt beat that. So now i'l try your discription, hope it works.

Hi den brakke, thanks for the 👍

the tips should help a lot, but even with those you will probably have to run this test many times (as did I and many others I am sure). Just don't give up. Finally getting gold is a big satisfaction :crazy:

CooperS from Breda, Holland

PS den brakke : means your from the beautiful south of Holland as well ?

Edit: the ultimate time for using 3rd gear is probably 2.23 but currently there is no faster time than 2.24.1 by Edmar in the granturismo.de GT4P times database, still 3rd gear and a clean run should get you the gold.

Also watch your ghost in the demo by pushing the select button after you did a run or loaded a saved replay. This will tell you where you still can improve.

CooperS
Hi den brakke, thanks for the 👍

the tips should help a lot, but even with those you will probably have to run this test many times (as did I and many others I am sure). Just don't give up. Finally getting gold is a big satisfaction :crazy:

CooperS from Breda, Holland

PS den brakke : means your from the beautiful south of Holland as well ?

Edit: the ultimate time for using 3rd gear is probably 2.23 but currently there is no faster time than 2.24.1 by Edmar in the granturismo.de GT4P times database, still 3rd gear and a clean run should get you the gold.

Also watch your ghost in the demo by pushing the select button after you did a run or loaded a saved replay. This will tell you where you still can improve.

I past :dopey: thx man

ps I'm from Belgium, maar we spreken wel de zelfde taal :)

Edmar
Damn the first one isn`t even a sub 15.9xx. :rolleyes: ...................................... :P

:cheers: I saw your 15.890 mate 👍 ... Blazin time :scared:

Just ran a few more and got it down to 15.896 so far myself :sly: ... dont think you get away from me that easy :D

But thanks for the replays 👍 although they don`t work with DivX or Media player. :confused:

You are probably in need of the Divx codec, Already a few with this problem when trying to view my replays ... here's the codec to download

http://www.divx.com/divx/download/index.php

Or you could just download the ultimate Free media player available that will play any file type ... mpegs no probs it will even play media from a bin file 👍 download VLC player here .....

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

just click your operating system and install the player it's the best by far :)

Again though ... Great time Edmar 👍

There have been some exceptional times on lesson 2 lately and on granturismo.de I found the tip: press reverse (triangle) before the timer starts and floor (gas) it when the timer does start. A time below 12.120 is possible this way (someone even did a 12.099 :crazy: )

PS Thanks Edmar and Mr P 👍

Out of curiousity... what does that do? (Apart from rev the engine?... Ah is that the test where you can't rev the engine until you go?... aha...)

C.

Back