Gran Turismo 5 - LAN Mod Thread

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo 5' started by goongumps, Jul 27, 2020.

?

Do you plan on joining us?

1. Sure!

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Maybeeeee

13 vote(s)
    61.9%
  3. I like getting 20 second penalties in GT Sport

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. goongumps

goongumps

Ok, this thread will be mainly for discussing things related to the GT5 LAN mod which has enabled us to play the game online again in 2020! (Shuffle races included) Note that we will not be explaining how to obtain the mod or any jailbroken homebrew in this thread! So please don't bother asking. I will leave a link to our GT5 LAN Discord community if you are interested in finding out more details. With the GT6 servers shutdown and GT7 still on the way, seeing an active GT5 community once again would be fantastic!

Discord Link will be updated frequently - https://discord.gg/r9Jdjhw - Tutorial on how to install it is there!

Special thanks to all the modders and VLX_Scuderino for making this possible!

Note: Please don't use Kattcool's video on YouTube for the LAN installation. Kattcool made a great guide but his method of replacing the Eboot is outdated and doesn't include PS2 era tracks. If you would like a video reference, watch his video up until 11 minutes, then revert back to our tutorial in the Discord. He does the same steps as us until the 11-minute mark.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  2. goongumps

goongumps

Costa di Amalfi.jpg

These were taken from online races earlier today (via XlinkKai). We can now race on some PS2 era tracks that have been ported over to PS3, thanks to some talented modders over at the discord server!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  3. HeyItsPanos

HeyItsPanos

pogchamp

nascarfan1400 and goongumps like this.
  4. VBR

VBR Premium

What's the standard of racing like from the other drivers; are you guys clean, competent, & conscientious? Or is it deliberate BTCC style bumping, shoving, & swapping paint?

5. goongumps

goongumps

The standard of racing depends since we discuss what track and type of race we are going to do beforehand in the discord chat. There really is no specific driving style. For the most part, we have done shuffle races and a few Ferrari F1 races where we expect a competent and fair driving style (leaving space to overtake and no weaving etc). However other times we've done dumb things like Kart races on Seattle (which is pure chaos as the Karts easily spin after the jumps). We haven't had any lobbies over 7 players yet although the Xlink connection is fantastic. I have great connection to the European's and we haven't experienced any connection issues at all. Our main aim right now is to get more players so we can host bigger lobbies. I'm sure we could maybe do something like the BTCC and have everyone drive 90s touring cars. Like I said we aren't too specific and can pretty much do any type of racing.

6. VBR

VBR Premium

I'd be very interested in resurrecting the GT5 Shuffle scene & hosting lobbies. I did a heck of a lot of that back in the day & really miss it. But, it all depends on having drivers who love driving clean & gentlemanly. I also set up my lobbies with the most realistic settings possible, so no silly ghosting or unrealistic penalties etc.

7. goongumps

goongumps

Sure we could definitely implement some rules to enforce clean driving. Maybe adding a different section for regulated shuffle races in our Discord is the way to go. The guy who created the server cares a lot about clean driving as well.

8. VBR

VBR Premium

If I host a lobby, it will be run according to my own rules. It won't be to everyone's taste, but I'm sure there will be some people who like it. These were some rules that I used for events I ran in GT5 - SCR. I also wrote a guide for clean racing here. It would be that kind of thing. I won't be up & running again for a while though, need to get my new set up...set up. When I do, I'll join you for some racing.

:cheers:

goongumps likes this.
  9. 1gt6freak

1gt6freak

OK I guess it’s research on the net plan for tonight. I’m an old extra dirty racing player hope this works out. And thanks to the people who are making this possible.

goongumps likes this.
  10. goongumps

goongumps

Try using our tutorial in the Discord as opposed to the YouTube installation guide made by Kattcool. Our tutorial is easier and also gives access to PS2 era tracks that were ported over. Also on the subject of dirty driving, most of the races we've done so far are with the expectation of clean driving. You could most certainly make your own lobbies that allow dirty driving, just write something like "Shuffle Race - Dirty" in the lobby title. That way players know what they're getting into.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  11. goongumps

goongumps

Some more photos from the races we've done....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  12. Lewis_Hamilton_

Lewis_Hamilton_

Yes! I love when people are able to get old games back up and running again. I still have a PS3 but sold my copy of GT5 a long time ago, might have to pick up an old copy. Wondering if I still have my save data somewhere...

goongumps likes this.
  13. TetsuKobura

TetsuKobura Premium

Do you have a new discord link? I see a GT5 LAN mod and I have a big smile on my face :)

goongumps likes this.
  14. goongumps

goongumps

sure thing, I just realized I'll have to keep updating it every few days...

https://discord.gg/eMCZSs

also, I updated my first post in this thread so it might help to take a look

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  15. Logless24

Logless24

Invite outdated, you can actually make the invite link last forever by pressing the "Edit invite link" button when on the Invite people section

16. goongumps

goongumps

Wow thanks for telling me! https://discord.gg/jhQyDne - here's the updated link

17. goongumps

goongumps

Gran Turismo 5_1.png

VBR likes this.
  18. goongumps

goongumps

Gran Turismo 5_3.png
    I managed to get in-game screenshots working. Some more photos from the GT5 LAN scene...

VBR likes this.
  19. VBR

VBR Premium

Looks like you guys fixed the problem of PSN ID's not showing up in LAN Mode, is that correct?

20. Nenkai

Nenkai

That's correct, it comes down to an option hidden in the secret settings to properly display names.
    I have made a new mod based off the original one which allows you to display those settings without save editing.
    Everything works, except chatting - obviously - that's PSN based.

VBR likes this.
  21. VBR

VBR Premium

Awesome! I'm gonna have to pull my finger out to get this up & running & join you guys soon.

Is chat still bugged, or have you got that working too?

Klitlika likes this.
  22. Nenkai

Nenkai

Chat as I've previously said does not work (if I recall correctly it only does if you're logged in to PSN, which you cannot obviously do while running alongside XLink Kai).
    And again if I recall correctly I do not believe there is a way to fix that, as it's PSN based.

VBR likes this.
  23. goongumps

goongumps

So our server finally managed to get 16 players in a lobby! A new record and a great moment for LAN play

Gran Turismo 5_6.png

Klitlika and VBR like this.
  24. JakeMR2

JakeMR2

Man, that Touring Car race must've been fun. Wished I was there.

goongumps likes this.
  25. goongumps

goongumps

We also had everyone park in the Eiger Tunnel to take a group pic...Celebrating a full lobby!

IMG_8726.jpg

Klitlika and VBR like this.
  26. HeyItsPanos

HeyItsPanos

this makes me so happy

goongumps and VBR like this.