Gran Turismo 5 : Official Multiscreen Review & Setup Guide : 100+ Images

• Thread starter Mr Latte
  • 211 comments
Are there still issues with using a multi screen setup for online racing? The new update mentioned improved stability for multi screen play, I'm considering getting my own setup but most of my racing is done online so I want to be sure there are no problems.

Brandon,
online races are fine. not had a issue since the update. i recommend getting a router just for the ps3s. that is what i did and it really didn't made any trouble. it only cost me $10.

To the experienced members out there, for playing with multiple screens, do I need the same edition of GT5? I have three, but one is Sig Edition (UK), one is Japanese, and one is from the US. I know there is no region coding, but if you have multiple copies you may notice the differences in game. I was wondering if anyone has encountered using different copies from different countries.

Also, I was planning on using a monitor as a rear view mirror. As in setting up the screen behind me so I could look over my shoulder and see, rather than seeing to my side. I find it extremely frustrating that this feature is limited to having three PS3s and televisions, when one should be able to with only two. I know it wouldn't be balanced, as in one straight and one left or right, and that if they were both at an angle in a /\ shape, there would be a gap directly where the center is. But could this be a possibility? Why not make it so you could set the screen for any particular spot?

the edition really doesn't matter but in your case, the games are from different region so i think there is a chance it might not work.

i think gt5 currently does not offer rear view mirror monitor for the current set up.

the edition really doesn't matter but in your case, the games are from different region so i think there is a chance it might not work.

i think gt5 currently does not offer rear view mirror monitor for the current set up.

I see. I am still awaiting my white PS3, it should be in the states in week or so. I really hope I will be able to at least use two monitors, regardless of how strange it may seem.

If anyone else has any information on my OP a few posts up, please let me know. And thank you Sang

sangbyung
Brandon,
online races are fine. not had a issue since the update. i recommend getting a router just for the ps3s. that is what i did and it really didn't made any trouble. it only cost me $10.

Thanks, that's good news. One other question, I have a 400mbps/gigabit router with 4 ports. Would this work for everything I need or would I need to get another switch/router?

Sorry for the double-post, want to make sure someone sees it.

I currently have a 32" 720p tv, I was planning on getting 2 more 32" tv's to do the triple monitor setup. However, I found a couple good deals on 24" 1080p tv's and I could get 3 of those for less than 2 32" tv's (and could sell my 32"). Would it be worth sacrificing the screen size to go for higher resolution and better price? I live in a fairly small apartment so the smaller screens would probably work out better, just thought I'd get some opinions about size vs. quality. My current tv isn't anything special, it looks fine but isn't incredible and the few time's I've played on a 1080 tv there was a noticeable improvement in quality compared to what I'm used to.

Thanks in advance for your help. 👍

Really depends on how far away you will be sitting. Currently I am using a 26 in as my main tv is awaiting yet another bulb. I have found with FPS games i am doing better on the smaller screen.
I would say in a cockpit situation, the 24 inchs screens will be ok. You may have to bring them a little closer to you tho. As long as they fill your field of vision it will be fine.

Head on over to the sim racing hardware section. You will prob get faster/ better responses over there. Mr.Latte (op) hasnt been posting here to much lately so im not sure if he even gas seen your question.

Him and a user mayaman seem to be on the ball with triple screens, also i believe the user owensracing has a good write up linked about seating position and such.

Thanks. I looked through the sim racing hardware section and didn't really see any triple-screen discussion, this seems to be the only real place for it. I sit approx 2-2.5 feet from the tv so I'm fairly close, due to the setup of my rig I can't get a whole lot closer than that. I know the 24" screens will be plenty wide enough, just concerned about height since it will be a pretty big drop from the 32" I currently play on. But there are a lot of advantages to going with the smaller screens too; cheaper, they all will match, higher resolution and will take up less space, so it's probably worth it.

I hear ya. I am going thru a similar process as you.
At 2-2.5 ft i think the 24's would be fine.
One reccomendation i would make is to invest in a 5.1 system. Sony has a decent system for about 150. Having the rear speakers mounted to your seat is absolutely fantastic and greatly adds to the immersion factor.
Good luck!!!
We tend to go way off topic in just about every thread in the SRH forum. Start a thread with your questions over their and im sure youll get some better answers.

Sorry for missing posts guys, I actually dont normally subscribe to threads, cuts down on my emails. Apologies if my lack of recent posts here seemed rude.

I plan to buy 2 more PS3s to get this setup, and now I wonder: do I have to buy 3 DLCs to run in SPA? Or just in the server-PS3?

Thanks!

AleX
Just the one works fine

I think when I get to building my own cockpit later in the year this thread can be updated as Im sure some changes have happened with the games own updates. Indeed their could also be some bugs.

One thing they did change was being able to turn 3D on/off witout having to reset the game. As some may have seen their have been threads on these forums as to what is best 3D or Multiscreens. I have been very 3D curious for over a year but was waiting to the right yet affordable 3D projector came along that was very good for gaming.

Product Homepage

When you consider certainly in the UK some 3D monitors in 24"-27" can go over £500 it is very easy to decide to purchase this current Optoma GT 750 with a current online pricepoint under £550. The Optoma may only be 720p native type res but accepts 1080p and for the sim fan would give the user the option to run in 2D @ 120Hz or 3D via 60Hz. New graphics cards like the 7970 or even 7990 will easily run the latest games in triple 720p 3D and give a single card simpleness. Something that will likely attract me back to PC gaming later in 2012. This GT750 also supports Nvidia 3D vision as well as the HDMI 720p gaming standard working with PS3 and Xbox games like "GOW 3 / Halo Anniversary" I still personally feel it is a real shame Turn 10 could not implement 3D into FM4 even if anything for the Autovista feature.

One nice feature with 3D and GT5 is that many of the intro type movie replays look superb and some of the user photographs by members on these forums are just rather awesome seen in 3D.

Anyways this is a multiscreen thread isn't it.
Well some may of seen I recently was testing a feature Sony themselves have never demonstrated and I think I may be one of the first to showcase.

GT5 Multiscreen in 3D
So here is my temporary setup for the new room in my business store I will be building my cockpit.
The room needs decorated and carpet etc. This a 110"+ 16:9 motorised screen being used to run 3x approx 30" projectors side by side. Everything wasnt perfectly aligned so their is a bit of overlap. Although this test went pretty well. Bonus points to those that notice the "Starbucks Coffee Mug" :)

So GT5 in multiscreen eh, with no borders and running in 3D as well = OMG!!!

I could get to like this and having no screen borders...

Future of "Project R"
While this is nice I want to achieve a setup with 3x 55"-60" screens for a really impressive configuration.
With the price of these projectors it made it too tempting not to increase the scale and immersion effect that multimonitors offers. Of course I will use this with FM4 which is highly recommended in multiscreens too. I also will have a cleverly devised setup plan (insert evil laugh) "muuh haa haa" that allows these screens to be moved and to then still enjoy "Auto Vista" or single screen games on the 110" 16:9 screen. So really no compromises in having to stick with a 55"-60" maximium single screen. I have a possible future plan perhaps to consider going back to PC gaming. This would allow the possibility of many more games to be enjoyed in either I suppose 3 way 2D 120Hz or 3 way 3D 60Hz.

The panaromic view combined with 3D can really be quite a visual feast and sets a new benchmark for any console title. GT5 I believe is the only game to support this on consoles. Not all 3D TV's or displays will be compatible however.

Last corner at Spa - The 3D while it can not really be seen here really can give a great impression of how close you are to other objects including say a corner apex or other cars. The depth is impressive but some car interiors are very basic and bland so like GT5 in general some things are great others are a little basic.

Current Issue:
On this test I seemed to have one of the projectors and adapters for the glasses not fully ouput the 3D correctly. I have a new transmitter ordered for this to see if it fixes the issue or if perhaps their is a limitation or problem to try and overcome. The transmitter for these glasses are designed to allow a signal to be detected and then duplicated. In theory that is what I need to achieve in having one 3DRF signal being transmitted at the same frequency but 3 times so one pair of glasses syncs perfectly with each projector. This is the main hardware drawback that many 3DTV or displays will have in trying to do this. So it is a bit experimental yet. To explain this easier, you can use multiple glasses for a 3D signal but trying to sync 1 pair of glasses to multiple 3D signals is the factor that needs to be overcome.

One thing I would say with multiscreens again is that yes we may find bugs so please do highlight them for others to learn about. Like FM4 or past titles with multimonitor support their are some car models that highlight errors as well or are unfinished.

If you want to read in more depth about GT5 3D or see more photos of it you can get that at the bottom of my sig.

Last edited:
I didn't find any other threads to ask this in..but did you find a solution to get 3 3D projectors working with one set of glasses?

Along this topic, I was wondering if 3 passive 3D TVs would work with GT5 in 3D using one set of glasss. Argos have been selling 24" passive 3D 1080p screens for £250.

Amazing set up guide Latte. Thank you! I set up my GT5 triple screen this weekend. Your guide answered every question I had. Forza was much tougher, due to the DLC.

i currently have three screen set up and i was wondering if SSD on all three consoles will help improving the three screen connection? anyone tried SSDs on triple screens?

i want to try it, but i'm not sure i'll keep the 3 screen config until ps4 comes out and the kids have something different to play

This 3-screen setup is breathtaking, incredible, and downright awesome. Thank you Latte for posting such a thorough explanation of the setup, with examples and tips/tricks. I am seriously tempted to create my own delicious racing environment, but priorities require me to maintain the portion of my life that is not already consumed by gaming.

Once in a while I only get the center screen view of the cockpit and the side screens just have the open track.

I noticed this recently on the C7 seasonal this week.

Not sure there is a fix or not?

Once in a while I only get the center screen view of the cockpit and the side screens just have the open track.

I noticed this recently on the C7 seasonal this week.

Not sure there is a fix or not?

I experienced the same issue. Not sure what is the cause or the fix. I also have noticed that the trackbuilder tracks are single screen only. No triples.

I have read through the thread, absorbed all the information I can, and going to tackle a triple screen for my racing setup. I purchased the screens this weekend, got 3x Insignia 39" 1080p/120Mhz with a rather thin bezel. Today ordered 3x 160Gb PS3 slims, Best Buy didn't have them in stock but getting them from another store. Hopefully it will all go well.

I have read through the thread, absorbed all the information I can, and going to tackle a triple screen for my racing setup. I purchased the screens this weekend, got 3x Insignia 39" 1080p/120Mhz with a rather thin bezel. Today ordered 3x 160Gb PS3 slims, Best Buy didn't have them in stock but getting them from another store. Hopefully it will all go well.

Good luck, they're fun! I'm almost to the point of selling mine though, GT5 has lost a lot of its appeal and it's difficult to get good attendance for league races anymore. Probably time to step up to a real sim.

It is simple. Look at the threads about screen placement and settings for angle but its a "piece o cake"

I still use it every day after a year.

I did this some 3 weeks ago. It is amazing. I love the immersive feel and the cockpit view is actually kind of ok to use now.

So, I've been watching this thread for a bit and when they announced GT6 would be on PS3 I decided I'd rebuild my playseat cabinet for 3-screen.
Just got it finished this weekend, haven't had much chance to play with it, but, oh, that lag! :(

I'm running a 40GB fat, a slim, and a super slim. It kinda seems like the slim is causing my issues, so I'm borrowing a fat & superslim this weekend to test.
From the few lag-free laps I've gotten in, though, it's glorious!

Here are my specs:
3x LG 23EA63V 23" IPS LED panels
120°, 85%

Playseat evolution with G27

Custom cabinet, now on v 3.0:
Sony 5.1 surround via optical
Buttkicker gr-2 installed in a cutout of the seat foam
Cisco gigabit switch
5x coolerguys thermostatically controlled fans in cabinet
Carpeted, blah, blah, blah. I'll post pics eventually, but the lag is killing my enjoyment thus far.

I've tried fat & slim as server, signed into PSN on one, none, and all. Cleared cache, reset connections in XMB, sometimes with success, sometimes not.
The wife is out of town this weekend so I intend to troubleshoot until I either solve it or give up and go PC sim.

I will say for the guy that mentioned above it only rendering interior view on the main display, I noticed that as well, and then a minute or two into the race it'll pop up the interior on side screens as well. YMMV.

(also, writing this on my phone...apologies to the English language)

I've never had any lag on mine other than the occasional flicker that only last half a second. I have three slims, a 120 and two 160's (I believe).

And yes, occasionally it takes several/many seconds for the side screens to load the interior views, but it's rare and always pops up eventually.

Back