Gran Turismo 5 : Official Multiscreen Review & Setup Guide : 100+ Images

• Thread starter Mr Latte
  • 211 comments
Anyone able to check if multiscreen in multiplayer is playable now? I tore down the PS3 part of my multiscreen setup and have just been doing PC racing for the last few months and I see no reason to put it back together for the items listed in the 1.10 update unless multiscreen multiplayer is usable now.

:confused:

Multiscreen in Multiplayer has been working without issue since I got my setup some months ago. Only thing is that it hitches when a player quits to lobby, but single screen does that too.

Hmm... I wonder if it was already improved in some earlier patch seeing that there are only a handle full of people in this thread who tried it and had the same problems as I did and you are the only one (that I know of) that says it is working good in multiplayer.

Can I ask what kind of PS3's and hub/router/switch you are using to connect them together?

I am using a PS3 slim as host and two used 40GB PS3 fats as clients all connected to a D-link 1000MB switch with CAT6 cables.

Slim 320GB as host, a Slim 320GB and one Fatty with 7200rpm 320GB replacement drive as clients, connected via a Zyxel 1000MB Switch, with 1.5m Cat6 cables to connect the PS3's to it and 3 x 24" 1080p BenQ VW2420H LED monitors again with short high quality HDMI cables. I don't know if it makes a difference but I manually set all the PS3's to 1000MB connection in the network settings, other than that default settings are used.

What exactly is the issue you are having?

I do actually remember two random bugs I had several weeks ago... in one race both the client screens had grass and smoke flying around and the cars were tumbling end over end, it was amusing, but quitting to lobby and going back to track cured it. Also once the cars on the client screens had no wheels, all you could see was the brake discs, again quit to lobby and back again fixed that.

Well in single player I have no issues. It works perfectly. But in multiplayer usually within a few seconds of going on the track, the side screens will first lose their cockpit overlays (I race in cockpit view only with premiums) so they start showing no cockpit while the center screen still shows the cockpit.

Then the side screens will start to wander. They will show weird perspectives of extreme high or low angles (they are looking directly down at the road or high in the sky). Then they will lose connection to the host all together and they say 'cannot connect to server'. Then you have to re-initiate the side screens multiscreen connection to get them working again which is not something doable while you are in the middle of a race!

I don't know if it makes a difference but I manually set all the PS3's to 1000MB connection in the network settings, other than that default settings are used.

What LAN speed is the router you are using? While my switch is a 1000MB unit, my router is a 100MB unit. Not sure what difference that would make though when it comes to my problem.

What LAN speed is the router you are using? While my switch is a 1000MB unit, my router is a 100MB unit. Not sure what difference that would make though when it comes to my problem.

Its a regular Netgear 100MB router with wifi, nothing out of the ordinary tbh.

Your issue sounds really funky, I've never seen anything like that (knock on wood) I could only suggest trying one of your fatty's as host to see if the issue remains with the slim as client. While not a solution it may help discover exactly where the issue lies.

If you need any of my settings or need to compare notes, let me know... Always happy to help where possible. 👍

Well I tried again and same old thing. It is not even close to being any good. Clients in multiplayer will lose connection almost right away once on track. I swapped one of the FATS with the Slim for the host and no difference. I do have all my PS3's setup to use 1000MB Full Duplex. I tried setting them as 100MB Full Duplex just to see what it would do, but the clients would lag badly in just single player so multiplayer would be even worse.

So no idea why you have no problems.

Maybe it's my D-Link switch, but as much money as I have wasted already on this GT5 setup not sure if it is worth the gamble to buy a differnt one.

How do you have your network setting set in the PS3's? Mine are:

Speed & Duplex: 1000BASE-T Full Duplex
IP setting: Manual
MTU: Auto
Proxy Server: Do Not Use
UPnP: Enable

When I run the connection test, everything looks good including UPnP and it shows NAT Type 2.

It really shouldn't be this hard.

Do you know of any other forums that discuss GT5 multiscreen?

Thanks for any help!

Great write up. Just one question.

Would this work with two projectors in the place of TVs? I don't own a TV but just recently bought a second DLP projector and was thinking of having the mother of all screens.

i am all ready for this set up but not sure what screen to get. I am looking for 24 inch monitors. what else do i need for the set up?

Has it been tested on-line?

Last edited:
I have had no problems online with my 3 screen setup. I haven't done a lot of online racing, but no problems when I did.

Care to share what PS3's you are using eggimann?

I have had no success with GT5 multiscreen and multiplayer. I have tried using each PS3 as hosts (two 40GB FATS & one 160GB slim) and have tried several 1GB switches plus a ASUS RT-N56U 1GB router (which is supposed to have one of the highest throughputs of any router) to connect them together and the results are the same always.

Single player works great, but the clients always will disconnect in multiplayer.

If I could be assured that maybe using 3 slims instead a mix of Fats and a slim would work, I would bite the bullet and buy two more slims. But there is no gurantee of that.

So far I only know of you and Maffski who say your systems work on-line.

A bit late for the party but thanks awfully for that amazing guide.

It might take a while to follow your example but I just happen to have bought a 24 inch tft for my future man cave and am very close to taking on this project in my mind. Working out the angles would Be a real hassle without your guide. Sounds difficulty enough as it is but the result should be stunning.

Thanks again!

All comments appreciated...

I wanted to do more to the guide actually and is bugged me as Ive not got around to finishing. However the temporary setup that was used at the time has been taken down with me working at things towards my diy cockpit.

Also I cant comment on online but early attempts I too had lag issues.

Has anyone else had issues with the middle screen after the last update?

Usually, before the update, when starting a race the 2 outer screens where later with showing the track, but after the last update this changed to the middle screen. Not very handy when a race is started because you cannot see where you're going :banghead:

Sometimes it takes more then 15 seconds before I have an image on the middle screen, and even the gt5 logo is shown in the right below corner.
It happens racing/practicing both online and offline.

I've cleared the cache on all 3 ps3's, but no luck.

Has anyone else had issues with the middle screen after the last update?

Usually, before the update, when starting a race the 2 outer screens where later with showing the track, but after the last update this changed to the middle screen. Not very handy when a race is started because you cannot see where you're going :banghead:

Sometimes it takes more then 15 seconds before I have an image on the middle screen, and even the gt5 logo is shown in the right below corner.
It happens racing/practicing both online and offline.

I've cleared the cache on all 3 ps3's, but no luck.

First, thanks to Mr Latte for an excellent guide.

Regarding your problem which I also encountered after updating to Spec 2...

I assume you drive with a wheel. What you do to solve your problem is having your sixaxis (handcontroller) ready and rapidly press the middle button.

Like when you are ingame and want to read a message, this will immediately ensure that your middle screen comes back. Then just as quick jump back into the game. It shouldn't take more than a second and you're in business.

Worked for me. Good luck!

Thnx, I will give it a try a bit more times.
Tried it a couple of times now with mixed results; sometimes it seems to work, other times not.

I plan to buy 2 more PS3s to get this setup, and now I wonder: do I have to buy 3 DLCs to run in SPA? Or just in the server-PS3?

Thanks!

AleX

i just set up 3 monitor set up.
3X samsung 24 inch monitor
2X CECHE01 backward compatible 80gb PS3
1X CECHH01 metal gear solid Limited edition 40gb PS3
G25 w/ playseat evolution
etc etc.

the set up is very good and sweet. however, i encountered couple of problems.
video of my set up
http://www.youtube.com/user/sangbuynglee?feature=guide#p/a/u/1/Gv1CC_IoRwA

as you can see, when i choose a new car and a race track for a race, side screens few seconds to fully kick in. this happens to online races and A spec races but this is very minor compared to my other problem.

the other problem is arises only when i am doing SPECIAL CHALLENGES like JEFF GORDON RACING SCHOOL etc and getting license. when i restart the race, the middle monitor or the server ps3 wont load the track or the race and only side monitors are functional. it can take up to 30 seconds for the server ps3 to load while i have the full control of the car. Basically i have to race with only side screens only for awhile. Only way to "WAKE" up the server ps3 while the race started is to press "PS" button to go to XMB. When i press the "PS" button, the HDD light starts to flash and the race starts. anyone had the same issue and is there a way to fix?

Latte, forgive me if you already went into this, but have you three 360's and tried FM4 in triple-screen as well as GT5? I'm working on that now but having strange Host/Client issues (the two side screen 360s keep randomly restarting at the same time when loading a race and then have trouble restarting...)

Are there still issues with using a multi screen setup for online racing? The new update mentioned improved stability for multi screen play, I'm considering getting my own setup but most of my racing is done online so I want to be sure there are no problems.

Are there still issues with using a multi screen setup for online racing? The new update mentioned improved stability for multi screen play, I'm considering getting my own setup but most of my racing is done online so I want to be sure there are no problems.

the update definitely helped the lag issue of the center screen that i have mentioned. its near perfect except during some license events, the side screen wouldnt show the dashboard and side mirrors but shows everything else. but the issues are very minor now and no lags issues since then. also some rally race events still do not support multiscreen during special events. other than that, it is as smooth as it can be.

^ Is it that smooth during online play? I have a great connection and a strong router so I pretty much never have any connection issues. Almost all of my racing is online so just want to be sure it's all good before I make the investment.

To the experienced members out there, for playing with multiple screens, do I need the same edition of GT5? I have three, but one is Sig Edition (UK), one is Japanese, and one is from the US. I know there is no region coding, but if you have multiple copies you may notice the differences in game. I was wondering if anyone has encountered using different copies from different countries.

Also, I was planning on using a monitor as a rear view mirror. As in setting up the screen behind me so I could look over my shoulder and see, rather than seeing to my side. I find it extremely frustrating that this feature is limited to having three PS3s and televisions, when one should be able to with only two. I know it wouldn't be balanced, as in one straight and one left or right, and that if they were both at an angle in a /\ shape, there would be a gap directly where the center is. But could this be a possibility? Why not make it so you could set the screen for any particular spot?

Back