[Gran Turismo 5 @ TGS 2009] (SEE POST1!: New vids. Interviews!)

• Thread starter SrRd RacinG
  • 4,244 comments
Unless he's talking about the build since GT4, which is likely seeing as prologue is, effecively, an early GT5 beta (alpha?). That's not to say things won't change between GT5P an GT5, I think there has already been progress seen in the demo builds at GC and TGS.

Except for the fact that new driving and collision/damage physics was said, something that Prologue didn't even have. I expect a brand new physics engine all together (driving/collision/damage etc.)

Except for the fact that new driving and collision/damage physics was said, something that Prologue didn't even have. I expect a brand new physics engine all together (driving/collision/damage etc.)

Correct; especially since damage will hinder performance. I'm not expecting to be totally surprised, but I do expect some obvious changes.

Since Prologue already feels about as polished as a sim to me, I'm expecting quite a bit of racing pleasure from GT5. Now, if only Forza can be suitably distracting...

I believe that GT5 will even feel more authentic than GT5p. I also think that the handling will be much more accurate compared to GT5p and GT4. I can already sense what difference we'll feel, and I think it's pretty close to what we'll see when GT5 finally arrives.

It doesn't, and it's all in the translation my friend. It's blatantly obvious that some car models inn GT PSP are GT4 models, you only have to look at a car that you know has a certain inaccuracy in GT4 and the exact same inaccuracy is there in GT PSP. The logical explanation is that car models PD have included that wern't in GT4 have used scaled down GT5 models but the rest of the cars were promoted from GT4. Not only does this make sense from a work load perspective, but it also explains why there is a clear difference in the quality of the new models over the cars also seen in GT4. You look at the car model for the Veyron in GT PSP and it's miles better than the model for the Cizeta V16.

I haven't see the Veyron in the game at the moment as the Bugatti Garage hasn't poped up yet(probably got to wait a few ore day) so I'll look out for that. Seeing as I haven't played GT4 in a long while, I really don't remember it all too well so you might to point out an example.

One quick translation: The Japanese and European versions will be finished at the same time. The European version will be released shortly after the Japanese version. At that point nothing has changed in the planning he sais.

Edit> He also sais that GT5 will be the same as GT PSP where it concerns obtaining cars: You won't have to spend hour after hour to get enough money to buy your next car.

He also sais that GT5 will be the same as GT PSP where it concerns obtaining cars: You won't have to spend hour after hour to get enough money to buy your next car.
Good news or bad news?... I really don't know what to think...
On one hand I want to try every single car and every modification as soon as possible, on the other hand I want a long lasting career, rewards, hard work, concentration and time to achieve goals. I don't want 1.000.000 cr just after a few races!

Last edited:
Well here is another translation of that part

GB: Players have changed since the original Gran Turismo. How does GT adapt to this?
KY: You would notice that in Gran Turismo for PSP, game progression was accelerated. Before this, it took hours and hours to collect all cars and complete all license tests, this is not true anymore. This is a trend we are considering the possibility for GT5.

According to this translation, "considering" "possibility", not the same as GT PSP just yet anyway.

And I do hope not, I got 1,015,000 credits for doing two laps of the Nurburgring in one race (GT PSP ADHOC)

Uh oh... thats not good. The best thing about GT is that you have to save up to buy GTR's and F430's etc. I don't want to win 50,000Cr a race and have a Enzo as a prize car just for doing the Sunday cup. :nervous:

Uh oh... thats not good. The best thing about GT is that you have to save up to buy GTR's and F430's etc. I don't want to win 50,000Cr a race and have a Enzo as a prize car just for doing the Sunday cup. :nervous:

Agreed, that has always been the GT experience for me, the dilemma of whether you should upgrade your crappy car or sell it and buy a slightly less crappier car. Then when the time comes that you can afford the big ones is when you get your reward.

I also love to save money to spend on cars and tuning, until you get towards the end of the career mode where you make bigger bucks so you can buy what you want. My GT experience doesn't end at 100%, infact with the crazy car count and good tracks it never ends (I do still play GT4 from time to time).

All the while still have arcade mode with tons of cars ready to drive so players can still jump in and race something.

Jay
Well here is another translation of that part

According to this translation, "considering" "possibility", not the same as GT PSP just yet anyway.

And I do hope not, I got 1,015,000 credits for doing two laps of the Nurburgring in one race (GT PSP ADHOC)

Agreed, that has always been the GT experience for me, the dilemma of whether you should upgrade your crappy car or sell it and buy a slightly less crappier car. Then when the time comes that you can afford the big ones is when you get your reward.

Exactly, its kinda like ' do i need to buy this turbo yet, or can i do the next race with just a muffler added?'

My favorite games are the one that are most frustrating, but challenging. In a game like GT you can appreciate that car that you want more,
when you have to race a lot of events to earn enough credits to buy it. The one thing that I have liked about GT, is that you start from the bottom
and work your way up, once you get that fast race car you then feel that you've earned it. Games that throw credits at you to quickly are the
ones that find there way onto my shelf. Heck I want no more 2 lap races in GT, I want the minimum laps to be at least 5.
But seriously I don't think game play in GT5 will be the same as PSP.

:)

Of course not, like said in another post,
i remember an interview with Kaz very well,
not a long time ago, where he said that in GT5 you will not be able to collect cars that fast.

Of course not, like said in another post,
i remember an interview with Kaz very well,
not a long time ago, where he said that in GT5 you will not be able to collect cars that fast.

10:1 ratio.

In GT Mobile you can earn ten cars when in GT5 it translates to one.

My favorite games are the one that are most frustrating, but challenging. In a game like GT you can appreciate that car that you want more,
when you have to race a lot of events to earn enough credits to buy it. The one thing that I have liked about GT, is that you start from the bottom
and work your way up, once you get that fast race car you then feel that you've earned it. Games that throw credits at you to quickly are the
ones that find there way onto my shelf. Heck I want no more 2 lap races in GT, I want the minimum laps to be at least 5.
But seriously I don't think game play in GT5 will be the same as PSP.

:)

It's a shame no one quoted this. It's the truth. And I really believe Sony had some say in this aspect of GT5 and GT Mobile. I think linking the two garages was by design, but not by PD's design. It looks like an obvious way to promote the PSP Go while attracting skeptical or hesitant PS3 owners to buy the mini version. They must have figured it would be a huge selling point, but the numbers won't lie. GT5: Prologue will probably outsell GT Mobile 2:1

It's a shame no one quoted this.
Well, I just got home a moment ago. ;)

While I like the challenge of Gran Turismo, a part of me would like to see it progress a little faster. Or perhaps some aspects. Like, if there are any special / unicorn / whatever-you-want-to-call-them cars in the used lots, I'd rather not wait seven hundred freaking days to see them, and then see them cycle again. Other than that, I thought the progress through GT4 was about right, maybe a wee bit slow. After 16 months of racing time, I have yet to do an enduro, and I expect this to increase to 18 or 22 months in GT5.

To further my point: GB: Players have changed since the original Gran Turismo. How does GT adapt to this?
KY: You would notice that in Gran Turismo for PSP, game progression was accelerated. Before this, it took hours and hours to collect all cars and complete all license tests, this is not true anymore. This is a trend we are considering the possibility for GT5.

I'm pretty sure it's been decided by now, but I hope it isn't like GT Mobile. I like a challenge.

To further my point: GB: Players have changed since the original Gran Turismo. How does GT adapt to this?

I'm pretty sure it's been decided by now, but I hope it isn't like GT Mobile. I like a challenge.

I wouldn't mind earning slightly more credits than in past GT games (without resorting to repeating lucrative events), but I don't want to be given buckets of the stuff.

I think all Polyphony should do is keep the credit-earning for online races. That way we earn more money than we otherwise would, but we're not winning a million credits per race.

I wouldn't mind earning slightly more credits than in past GT games (without resorting to repeating lucrative events), but I don't want to be given buckets of the stuff.

I think all Polyphony should do is keep the credit-earning for online races. That way we earn more money than we otherwise would, but we're not winning a million credits per race.

I must be a classy or strict gamer....I dislike the idea of having online affect offline progression. I want the game to adhere to past GT's where the single player is the main course. I know it's an online era now-a-days, but I believe PD and friends should stick to the plan. Fight your way through single player and enjoy it. Earn some cars and increase your bank account through single player. Any inept and lazy racing fan can play online for hours and still get 10,000 for coming in last. Lame. That person doesn't deserve a free pass to buy a Ferrari F50.

I must be a classy or strict gamer....I dislike the idea of having online affect offline progression. I want the game to adhere to past GT's where the single player is the main course. I know it's an online era now-a-days, but I believe PD and friends should stick to the plan. Fight your way through single player and enjoy it. Earn some cars and increase your bank account through single player. Any inept and lazy racing fan can play online for hours and still get 10,000 for coming in last. Lame. That person doesn't deserve a free pass to buy a Ferrari F50.

Doesn't matter to me anymore considering people most likely will be importing Bugatti Veyrons and Ferrari Enzos from the PSP into GT5 from day 1.

Hopefully PD does the smart thing and prevents users from importing any car worth over 100,000 credits into GT5 from GTPSP.

^Nah I'll doubt PD will do that. Lot's of people will be pissed if they worked up to get the Veyron only to see a screen that says..."um...no cars over 100,000 CR...KTHNXBAI!"

Maybe, if the halls in GT4 make a come back, then those type of cars can only be imported until the highest hall has been unlocked.

Well, yeah I agree about the issue of getting 10,000 for coming in last.

I actually got an infraction a long time ago on here for creating a joke thread asking if it was ok to join a race in GT5P then walk away and do something while the race plays out, knowing that you're guaranteed a decent amount of money even if you don't actually participate.

I think the online winnings should be toned down a fair bit. Something along the lines of 5000 Cr for 1st, 2500 Cr for 2nd, 1000 Cr for 3rd, 500 Cr for 4th, 250 Cr for 5th, and 100 Cr for anything else.

By the way, before I bought GT5P, I disliked the idea of earning money for online races. But after playing it a while, it grew on me. Why shouldn't a player be able to earn a small amount of credits racing human opponents? It's more fun than re-completing the Sunday Cup, and like being able to re-complete the Sunday Cup, it's not going to break the game.

Well, yeah I agree about the issue of getting 10,000 for coming in last.

I actually got an infraction a long time ago on here for creating a joke thread asking if it was ok to join a race in GT5P then walk away and do something while the race plays out, knowing that you're guaranteed a decent amount of money even if you don't actually participate.

I think the online winnings should be toned down a fair bit. Something along the lines of 5000 Cr for 1st, 2500 Cr for 2nd, 1000 Cr for 3rd, 500 Cr for 4th, 250 Cr for 5th, and 100 Cr for anything else.

By the way, before I bought GT5P, I disliked the idea of earning money for online races. But after playing it a while, it grew on me. Why shouldn't a player be able to earn a small amount of credits racing human opponents? It's more fun than re-completing the Sunday Cup, and like being able to re-complete the Sunday Cup, it's not going to break the game.

That. That's the only way I'd like to see credits being earned through online play. If the room allows for 16 racers, the top 3-5 racers should earn credits.
The credits should not be overwhelming and should still encourage single player mode for earning credits. So, I suppose I do not totally disagree with online credits, but what about private rooms? Should credits be disabled there? You know, because credits can be spammed there when friends are involved.

That. That's the only way I'd like to see credits being earned through online play. If the room allows for 16 racers, the top 3-5 racers should earn credits.
The credits should not be overwhelming and should still encourage single player mode for earning credits. So, I suppose I do not totally disagree with online credits, but what about private rooms? Should credits be disabled there? You know, because credits can be spammed there when friends are involved.

Yeah, naturally I think there'd be no earnings involved in a private room. You don't earn money by taking a couple of friends out to a track for a little fun.

Back