[Gran Turismo 5 @ TGS 2009] (SEE POST1!: New vids. Interviews!)

• Thread starter SrRd RacinG
  • 4,244 comments
^Nah I'll doubt PD will do that. Lot's of people will be pissed if they worked up to get the Veyron only to see a screen that says..."um...no cars over 100,000 CR...KTHNXBAI!"

Maybe, if the halls in GT4 make a come back, then those type of cars can only be imported until the highest hall has been unlocked.

A lot of the pricey cars aren't shareable within GTPSP (Veyron and Enzo etc.). Even though they are tradable, I'd guess PD wouldn't allow those to be shared into GT5, and people would be used to the idea of limitations. It'd be a simple way to control things.

I know it's an online era now-a-days, but I believe PD and friends should stick to the plan. Fight your way through single player and enjoy it. Earn some cars and increase your bank account through single player. Any inept and lazy racing fan can play online for hours and still get 10,000 for coming in last. Lame. That person doesn't deserve a free pass to buy a Ferrari F50.

+100! 👍

Me too!

I could care less for online in GT5 when compared to the single player offerings. Online is merely a diversion from the main substance of the game. I will delve into the online offerings in GT5 when I have had my share of the single player GT mode. :sly:

To further my point: GB: Players have changed since the original Gran Turismo. How does GT adapt to this?
KY: You would notice that in Gran Turismo for PSP, game progression was accelerated. Before this, it took hours and hours to collect all cars and complete all license tests, this is not true anymore. This is a trend we are considering the possibility for GT5.

I'm pretty sure it's been decided by now, but I hope it isn't like GT Mobile. I like a challenge.

Im so worried about this right now.... in no way should it be like GTPSP... longer and harder the career is the better.

With around a thousand cars and undoubtedly loads of single make races, along with everything else, I expect a very long game.

Im so worried about this right now.... in no way should it be like GTPSP... longer and harder the career is the better.

I am shocked that Kaz even considered having GT5 remotely like GTPSP. They're two different games striving to attract two different audiences. The offline is the crux of GT titles. And I better not be given loads of credits!

PD should be smarter,
knowing they spend years years years years till they bring out a new gran turismo..

They better make the game progress slow,
so we have enough challenge to stay and play gt5.
If we're ready after one month.. we're already moaning for the next.

I actually had some thoughts on the "slow versus fast progress in GT5" issue over in the post-TGS interviews thread. (Perhaps a thread-merge is in order?)

In a nutshell, my suggestion was to allow quick cash to be earned in Arcade mode to unlock cars there (and also make Arcade the repository of cars transferred from GT-PSP), but don't allow these cars to be used in Simulation mode. That way, the impatient could get their quick fix, but the "heart of the game" would be left unpolluted for the hardcore.

I actually had some thoughts on the "slow versus fast progress in GT5" issue over in the post-TGS interviews thread. (Perhaps a thread-merge is in order?)

In a nutshell, my suggestion was to allow quick cash to be earned in Arcade mode to unlock cars there (and also make Arcade the repository of cars transferred from GT-PSP), but don't allow these cars to be used in Simulation mode. That way, the impatient could get their quick fix, but the "heart of the game" would be left unpolluted for the hardcore.

Sort of reminds me of Forza 3's approach: You can test out all the cars, but they won't be purchasable in the career mode. This approach seems pretty fair. I wouldn't mind either way, in the end.

Well, I just got home a moment ago. ;)

While I like the challenge of Gran Turismo, a part of me would like to see it progress a little faster. Or perhaps some aspects. Like, if there are any special / unicorn / whatever-you-want-to-call-them cars in the used lots, I'd rather not wait seven hundred freaking days to see them, and then see them cycle again. Other than that, I thought the progress through GT4 was about right, maybe a wee bit slow. After 16 months of racing time, I have yet to do an enduro, and I expect this to increase to 18 or 22 months in GT5.

To add to this, in the U.K. we have a magazine called Autotrader ( www.autotrader.co.uk ) & is basically the same as buying from a used car website or single car adverts via trade or private ( m'bikes, sports cars, commercial vehicles & vans etc ).Maybe used cars could be bought & sold through a magazine ( GTTrader weekly ).

I must be a classy or strict gamer....I dislike the idea of having online affect offline progression. I want the game to adhere to past GT's where the single player is the main course. I know it's an online era now-a-days, but I believe PD and friends should stick to the plan. Fight your way through single player and enjoy it. Earn some cars and increase your bank account through single player. Any inept and lazy racing fan can play online for hours and still get 10,000 for coming in last. Lame. That person doesn't deserve a free pass to buy a Ferrari F50.

+1 👍

Same with me, i just want some awesome single player experience, i want to be forced to drive fugly old and slow cars at the beginning and "earn" the right to drive the fast and pretty cars. I want tuning to be effective though, so that you can take your first car and use it throughout half of the game, until tuning is no longer an option.

Another thing that i DON'T want GT5 to feature is online trophies, i like how shift did it, they did not force you to play hundreds of hours online, just to receive this final trophy or something. I got my platinum Trophy (my first) by just being good at the game in the offline modes. Iam just not that much into Multiplayer.

+1 👍

Same with me, i just want some awesome single player experience, i want to be forced to drive fugly old and slow cars at the beginning and "earn" the right to drive the fast and pretty cars. I want tuning to be effective though, so that you can take your first car and use it throughout half of the game, until tuning is no longer an option.

I. Love. You.:embarrassed::embarrassed:

Even though I absolutely can't stand most low-performance cars (because I drive one daily), I must admit that I love the silly, slow and boring beginning races in GT titles. They are actually more frustrating than anything because you have to be perfect thanks to the lack of power. Back to the point, I enjoy it. I love to work my way up the rankings. Once I hit the 300hp cars, it gets even more fun. I think of RX7's 8's, 350z's, etc etc. Then I love to reach the next level. You got your 400hp cars. And the process continues until you reach the cream of the crop. Epic fun the whole way.

… I must admit that I love the silly, slow and boring beginning races in GT titles.
Me too. :)

They are actually more frustrating than anything because you have to be perfect thanks to the lack of power.
That's actually what I love about them. Well, that coupled with the fact that everything's happening so slowly you have time to think about what you're doing and actually be perfect.

Running K-Cups is a great way to teach noobs how to drive. :)

I find the extremely low powered cars, like the 60hp Suzuki 360, I think it is, to be quite vexing, because power has been stripped from your arsenal, leaving you with nothing but perfect racing to bring you a win. I do them the first chance I get to get them out of the way, but I do every single one of them. If Kazunori-dono feels it's worthwhile to put them in the game, I think I should honor his dedication to racing history and his work of art game by doing them.

I thought about online racing and having that as an avenue to progress through the game, but that has to be extremely hard considering all the talent in this world. And I thought it would be too easy to cheat it by starting up private races, and each friend taking turns winning. So credits, sure. Progress, no. Trophies... I don't like the idea, and think they shouldn't implement them.

I find the extremely low powered cars, like the 60hp Suzuki 360, I think it is, to be quite vexing, because power has been stripped from your arsenal, leaving you with nothing but perfect racing to bring you a win. I do them the first chance I get to get them out of the way, but I do every single one of them. If Kazunori-dono feels it's worthwhile to put them in the game, I think I should honor his dedication to racing history and his work of art game by doing them.

I thought about online racing and having that as an avenue to progress through the game, but that has to be extremely hard considering all the talent in this world.
And I thought it would be too easy to cheat it by starting up private races, and each friend taking turns winning. So credits, sure. Progress, no. Trophies... I don't like the idea, and think they shouldn't implement them.

The day Gran Turismo focuses on online is the day Gran Turismo dies. But I doubt that will ever occur. I didn't like the idea of earning credits in online, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to give the top 5 a few credits. At the most, the first place guy should earn less than 5,000. And also, private rooms wouldn't feature credits. It would just be for friendly fun.

GT will fall behind if it focuses on one and not the other. Online gaming is becoming a huge part of gaming and cannot be ingnored or undermined. But at the same time, providing a quality offiline experience is still the core of games like GT and Forza and also should not be compromised in any way.

Last edited:
GT will more likely die if it keeps focussing on offline. Online is the future.

Worst statement on GTP since I've been here. It's the offline which has sold previous GT titles. Online is a luxury/benefit, but not the main course. It's the desert.

Worst statement on GTP since I've been here. It's the offline which has sold previous GT titles. Online is a luxury/benefit, but not the main course. It's the desert.

On one hand, I agree with you. I'll be putting countless hours into the GT5 offline mode. Likely more hours than I've put into any other GT's offline mode.

On the other hand, I think that online is a very important part of the game. In the end, wouldn't the ideal GT game keep the traditional GT mode structure but have real opponents instead of questionable AI?

I imagine future GT games either having two GT modes (an offline and an online one), or some sort of hybrid mode with the option of racing AI or racing online opponents. The offline aspect will always remain, and will likely remain relevant due to the fact that some people don't have internet or aren't always connected to it. Plus, racing against the AI would be fairly decent practice.

On one hand, I agree with you. I'll be putting countless hours into the GT5 offline mode. Likely more hours than I've put into any other GT's offline mode.

On the other hand, I think that online is a very important part of the game. In the end, wouldn't the ideal GT game keep the traditional GT mode structure but have real opponents instead of questionable AI?[/B]

I imagine future GT games either having two GT modes (an offline and an online one), or some sort of hybrid mode with the option of racing AI or racing online opponents. The offline aspect will always remain, and will likely remain relevant due to the fact that some people don't have internet or aren't always connected to it. Plus, racing against the AI would be fairly decent practice.

There are pros and cons to both A.I. and actual human drivers. We will experience this once the game comes out. You asked what is the ideal GT? Well, the ideal GT is having a great single player mode which lasts months, but also a complementary online mode. The online should be a complement of the single player mode instead of two drastically separate entities. I think GT5's online seems great. It's not overwhelmingly complex, it encourages you race with humans, and it doesn't discourage the offline experience. I think you brought that up with your hybrid idea. I have no doubts that Polyphony Digital can balance the two, as they have no other choice in today's gaming world. The OFFline should always be the crux of the game. It should be the main reason why people buy it, but not necessarily the only reason.

Last edited:
Meh... I've managed to avoid the online gaming experience so far because it's never been necessary, but I will admit that in the case of GT, after doing "OLR" for the past decade, finally being able to do the genuine real thing with the people I've known for this whole time is going to put my personal focus on the online aspect. I'll get through the offline mode as fast as I can to net the cash and cars I want, then spend the rest of the time with the game playing other, real human beings. I don't think the entire game should revolve around the online aspect, insomuch that you can make usable progress by just racing friends (so I support the low-credit idea), because the set challenges provided by something more generally reliable like the AI are there for a reason. And like someone has already said, not everyone is going to be playing connected.

That said... once I'm done the offline aspect, I can't see myself using it much ever again. Maybe, depending on prize car setups, doing a series again for a certain car, or building up some fast money to expand the garage, but the game will primarily be a community thing for me once all that pesky AI is out of the way.

Worst statement on GTP since I've been here.

Is it that bad? :)

It's the offline which has sold previous GT titles.

True, but times change. People wanna go online these days and compete against real persons, not only versus AI.

Online is a luxury/benefit, but not the main course. It's the desert.

Online is a must these days, not a luxury. The most popular games are played online. What I meant with my statement is that if GT keeps neglecting online it will fall behind it's competitors. More and more games are focussing on online for a reason.

The OFFline should always be the crux of the game. It should be the main reason why people buy it, but not necessarily the only reason.

For me it's the opposite. Online should be the crux of the game imo. I loved GT's singleplayer so far, but now it's time to start focussing on online multiplayer. It's also the main reason why i'm getting GT5. I will only be doing the singleplayer to earn money and buy cars for online. Online is where (for me) the fun is at.

We clearly have a different opinion about this, and that's fine. :)

Last edited:
I can live without online mode.
Honestly I didn't even race much online with GT5:Prologue.
I'll be way too occupied with all these cars and things I can do with them.

Is it that bad? :)

True, but times change. People wanna go online these days and compete against real persons, not only versus AI.

Online is a must these days, not a luxury. The most popular games are played online. What I meant with my statement is that if GT keeps neglecting online it will fall behind it's competitors. More and more games are focussing on online for a reason.

That reason is to avoid the expense of creating a proper offline one player game and no other reason at all.

This actually costs sales since whilst every console owner can play offline, not every console owner has online access.

Gran Turismo is defined by GT-Mode. The day that changes is the day Gran Turismo dies as a franchise.

GT will fall behind if it focuses on one and not the other. Online gaming is becoming a huge part of gaming and cannot be ingnored or undermined. But at the same time, providing a quality offiline experience is still the core of games like GT and Forza and also should not be compromised in any way.

If PD would put the same effort in online as they do in offline GT would be even a bigger hit. I agree with you guys that there always has to be a solid GT-mode, but they focus to much on singleplayer. You can notice that with GT5P's multiplayer. I'm not impressed at all, i'm a bit disappointed. That's not good for the franchise either. If you decide to add online multiplayer, than do it right. I can only hope it has been much improved in GT5, time will tell.

Last edited:
I dunno, but i like the online racing and i can race with friends form all around the world:)

What I like about racegames is that you play offline for money to buy cars and upgrade them, and then take those cars online. It's great how singleplayer and multiplayer are connected. You see, i'm a real multiplayer freak, when i'm getting COD 6 for example, I wont even touch the singleplayer. Singleplayer and multiplayer in COD are not connected. You can go online straight away, without missing something. It doesn't matter if you play singleplayer or not, it doesn't add anything to the multiplayer. With racegames this is different, it gives me a reason to play singleplayer, and I enjoy it, because it's connected with online multiplayer. And for me the most fun is racing against other people around the world. It's the multiplayer that keeps games going. :)

That reason is to avoid the expense of creating a proper offline one player game and no other reason at all.

This actually costs sales since whilst every console owner can play offline, not every console owner has online access.

Gran Turismo is defined by GT-Mode. The day that changes is the day Gran Turismo dies as a franchise.
This is very true. Gran Turismo has to have a very well endowed offline single player game. Those who want the focus to be online don't know what they're asking for.

How do you acquire new cars? Do you have access to any car you want from the start? Or do you have to grind for money online too? Will you be happy that the best players will hold you back from having the best cars? Will you sneer at the people who can't afford or can't get broadband being stuck with a basic, boring game?

No, the focus on all racing games has to be on the offline experience. I'm still playing GT4, which is offline only, and it's just as fun for me as any online racer because the game is solid and well thought out. The online setup for just about every game seems to be just fine, and GT5 will be no different, unless there are dedicated servers, in which case it will be exceptional.

GT games don't come out every other year, so you can bet offline will continue to be the most important part. If GT only focused on the online mode, we'd see GT6 in 2010, too. (lol!)

Online should be in GT from GT5 until forever, but it shouldn't replace the offline fun. It's just...too fun!

Back