Gran Turismo 6 AI discussion

• Thread starter JBanton
  • 803 comments
If you follow them round for a lap or 2 you see the AI driving style is... Approach corner, brake early in a straight line, stop braking before the turn in point, pick up the throttle again, turn in, approach the apex, brake again, then accelerate out of the corner.

They are hopeless.
I just pass them in the corner on the outside for that reason. @Stotty EDIT: Sorry, that does read a little crass when I read it back. I agree. They drive like bob!

Last edited:
I'm not saying they are difficult to pass (they aren't), only that they cannot drive and are therefore rubbish as proper opposition!

They drive like B Spec Bob drove in GT5... if you ever watched Bob in GT5, he just had no throttle control whatsoever :lol:

If you follow them round for a lap or 2 you see the AI driving style is... Approach corner, brake early in a straight line, stop braking before the turn in point, pick up the throttle again, turn in, approach the apex, brake again, then accelerate out of the corner.

They are hopeless.
You forgot, that they randomly lift the throttle or even brake at any point of the track when you are to close.
To me, that's the single most annoying thing about the AI, because I can never really follow them on the racing line without crashing into those clowns.

You forgot, that they randomly lift the throttle or even brake at any point of the track when you are to close.
To me, that's the single most annoying thing about the AI, because I can never really follow them on the racing line without crashing into those clowns.
If you learn their braking points you can use it to your advantage by passing at the moment they apply the brakes. It takes a little practice but it's my work-around for "Bob."

@Stotty they have been doing that for 10 years or longer now, i get the feeling that for GT6 they kept the exact same programming towards the AI approaching corners and their braking in them from previous installments, but added some artificial rubber banding to mislead the player into thinking he had an "exciting race" (with the rabbit slowing down now in the last lap).

An insult to people's intelligence if you ask me...

@mister dog

Agree 100%. I've seen nothing different in the way the AI behave in GT6 that's different to GT5 other than the silly rubber banding effect - they are very fast at the beginning of races (particularly on the straights) and then slow down in the 2nd half.

An insult indeed :lol:

I just finished the Ia GT World Championship and the final race in Nurburg was the worst I've seen the AI behave yet. My R10 Audi finally gained P1 on the final lap just before the long straight. the second place car has a higher top end and went to pass me at the end of the straight, right before the curves, of course he upset my car and sent me spinning. And amazingly he wasn't affected at all, its like my car just doesn't exist! NOBODY IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD ATTEMPT A PASS THERE! A long very difficult race ruined because the AI is homicidal. I'm putting GT6 away for a bit, I'll come back in a few weeks. This **** is just pissing me of too much.

Hahaa I know what you mean buddy, but that just makes me more determined than ever! I'm going to tell you, in the IA "historic" race with the 2D's or the Toyota 7 at lead - is hard as nails. I purposely used a car in a different class to get a challenge and boy did I. I used a maxed out Dodge Challenger R/M and that was one of the toughest "campaign" races I've had in the GT series in a long long time. I was literally yelling at the TV and my gf thought I was losing my mind at one point. Good stuff! I think PD heard us loud and clear on the lack of AI difficulty in GT5 and said "oh yeah... well how do you like this?" in GT6 :lol:

This will keep plenty of "weekend drivers" out of the hunt for finishing the game or at least make them work like they've never worked before. I like it.

Ugh don't bring drivatar into this. Those drivers are psychopaths, I'd rather not have AI that have to resort to blatantly PITing my on the straights to win.
I don't know whether this is the case now that it's a month later and they're synced up better. It's not something that I've experienced.

So I notice that the AI behave differently depending on what straight or corner they're on. Right now I'm having the worst time on the 24 minute Le Mans race. If I'm anywhere near an AI on any part of the track, I'm getting punted off for sure. Straight or corner, I'm invisible to them. I hate how they magically slow down in any short distance, so if one is behind me as I brake for a corner, I get creamed.
Although, I've come to start remembering good places to pass, where the AI is almost human. Certain corners on certain tracks are very good places to race them as long as you know to pass inside or outside, while at other corners it doesn't matter how long you've been beside them because you don't exist. Motegi is another track I have problems with. There are almost no spots on the whole track that I can take a position without extreme contact.
I guess my biggest problem is that I care too much about staying on the pavement completely and racing with no contact.

This game will never be good with this type of AI difficulty. The main reason why they're so slow is because you need to gain 15-20 seconds in the space of three laps, therefore they have to be slower. In order to stop this, GRID STARTS. It's not like grid starts are a bad thing either. So get rid of this ridiculous rolling and let the cars match our speed. I don't care if that means they're in a zondas and I'm in an Elise ( although that has already happened and they are still so god damned slow) just as long as they're equal.
I feel like not playing this, or just online, until it will be fixed. But I fear it may never be, not in gt7, or gt8 or gt9.

Stopped playing the game for a month or two, just played a race right now, and it's still doing this. Leader slowed down by 6 seconds to let me by a couple turns before the end.

Come on PD, this is absurd. Why the hell would you do this. It's completely idiotic.

Stopped playing the game for a month or two, just played a race right now, and it's still doing this. Leader slowed down by 6 seconds to let me by a couple turns before the end.

Come on PD, this is absurd. Why the hell would you do this. It's completely idiotic.

The thing the rubber-banding AI does is make it so that even if you make a mistake early in a race, you don't need to restart; you still have a chance to win.

It's really not my first beef with the AI. I'd much rather have them stop PIT-ing me.

DGB or DDA or - to say it in one word - "balancing"

Dynamic game difficulty balancing, also known as dynamic difficulty adjustment (DDA) or dynamic game balancing (DGB), is the process of automatically changing parameters, scenarios and behaviors in a video game in real-time, based on the player's ability, in order to avoid them becoming bored (if the game is too easy) or frustrated (if it is too hard). The goal of dynamic difficulty balancing is to keep the user interested from the beginning to the end and to provide a good level of challenge for the user.

Found in: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_game_difficulty_balancing

Unfortunately, PD does not allow us to stretch or switch off the balancing (or cut the rubber band) in AI-Races. In Online-Races, we can change the rubber-band, that holds the comptetitors together, by switching the Boost-Option. I would like to have this feature in alle Races.

I was playing the IA Super GT300 Championship, and in the first race, every time i got to the last corner of the track (final lap), the 2nd place bumps my trunk and im spinning out, and i was kind of frustrated about this so desided to go back and take it later, and now i have completed it, but not with any changes on how the 2nd place bumps into me, i just countered on the right time :D but i've noticed that the AI system is not made correctly and i think a lot of you agree with me, but what i found out from been a developer my self, and i dont know how they made it, but i guess they coded it to keep the line of the road and the overtake on specific distance, and it's kind of annoying, but if you are with me, and want to do something, pm me with some informations on what you've discovered of issues with the AI drivers, and let's see if we can get the team to make a new AI system, so the drivers are more fluid on the track and not sticking to road like glue. :)

Best regards,
Maxio

After owning every Gran Turismo since GT2.....this crap A.I. has pushed me to decide that i will NOT support this series (which i love due to the OTHER aspects) ever again until i see some realistic A.I. .......A.I. that makes realistic racing decisions and actually gives the impression of being in a RACE. A.I. that acknowledges the player car's presence.
Who races, ignoring the other racers in the race? Especially when you are screaming to the end of a 200mph+ straight into a hairpin turn? The way they drive would be FATAL EVERY RACE....and i cannot support this filth anymore with my money. I literally have to race off of the driving line in high speed sections to avoid opponents ramming thoughtlessly into my car (Lord forbid my car is actually lighter in any instance) and try to return to the driving line on entry after braking.....like why should i have to come up with unrealistic strategies to avoid rear-ends and sideswipes in "The REAL Driving Simulator" . Rubbish.......
I will make my decision on GT7 based on how the A.I. performs ON VIDEO in some full lap gameplay after release.

PSN: Plantgeta

The thing that bugs me even more than the AI's maddening behavior is the invisible boundaries the cars have. I most always have used the bumper cam, and in all previous versions of the game the gauge panel was in effect the edges of the front fenders. You could use this to determine where you were in relation to other cars, edge of the track, etc. Not so in 6. But then again it is. I've had maybe 2 cars where this applies, others there seems to be this magic boundary, sometimes 6", sometimes a foot, even what would look like 18" at times. So when I'm coming up to pass I never know where my fenders are. I usually hit someone/something.

The thing that bugs me even more than the AI's maddening behavior is the invisible boundaries the cars have. I most always have used the bumper cam, and in all previous versions of the game the gauge panel was in effect the edges of the front fenders. You could use this to determine where you were in relation to other cars, edge of the track, etc. Not so in 6. But then again it is. I've had maybe 2 cars where this applies, others there seems to be this magic boundary, sometimes 6", sometimes a foot, even what would look like 18" at times. So when I'm coming up to pass I never know where my fenders are. I usually hit someone/something.
It's been the case for some time that the "bumper" view has been the driver's eye view, only without the car being visible at all. So the distance the front bumper is from the driver determines the length of your "magic boundary". ;)

I've gone back to GT5 to compare the AI. Put simply, it's better. No idiotic rubber-banding, no comically spaced out standing starts, and reasonably competitive AI who will gun for overtakes. I have been surprised a few times by other cars overtaking on the outside under braking in turns, sometimes from three or four places back. It isn't perfect, by any means, but it at least makes the single-player somewhat enjoyable, rather than simply the thing you do to make money to buy cars to run in time trial mode. There's very nearly a point to it.

Reposting from another post i made in another topic. We couldn't race due to PSN servers issues and i gave this one a go.

Since gt6 was a no go today i spent some time on a mostly unknown game from an italian software house:

V8 Superstars: The next Challenge (there's another V8 superstars game but is dreadful)

Not going to say it's a great game, for it is basically pad oriented so wheel is basically FFB-less, runs at 720p and graphically is not so good, but what surprised me a lot is how good the AI is and how darn fun is to play offline...

A small video here:

Recorded with a potato i know lol

Also the game auto recognizes "highlights". Now if this small moneyless developer can come out with such AI this makes you really understand how much PD are lazy lol.

AI is on medium, there's hard and LEGEND too :P If anyone is curious i'l tell more about the game. You can get in bargain bins at like 10euros...

The PS3's ram architecture makes it difficult to program realistic A.I, so hopefully GT6 will be on the PS4 .

Coming back to see this makes me want to cry. GT6 STILL runs so badly on PS3 it should've been a PS4 title. For me, its the best GT there is, along with GT4. Last night I was trying to have some fun down at the nostalgia bar and the only thing that pisses me off about this game is the damn bad AI it has got. GT4 AI is much better, although robotic, its much better.

Since this thread got bumped up, I'll add a couple things. I've been playing GT5 since my PS4 died in January. GT5 AI is no better than GT6, perhaps worse, since the field is bunched up closer than in GT6. And GT sport is equally as bad, maybe worse. Single file starts spread the cars out way too far, and many times you start 20 seconds behind the leaders. In some cases its 30 seconds, and occasionally 45. The rabbit/rubber band is still in effect, with the exception that if you drive real slow, the leader might not slow down to let you catch up. The only bonus is that the AI is not magnetically glued to the track-hit 'em hard and they go spinning. 👍:lol:👍

Back