Gran Turismo 6 coming to PS3

My thoughts

The engine sound doesnt sound bad. If you are in front of the engine or near the engine its most normal that you hear the "VACUM" thing. but at the back of the car, even GT5 have good sound ( not the best but yea) you know what i am talking about.

GT6 Game looks very stable, nice Lightning and Shadows, new features ... Cant wait.

Last edited:
Didn't Kaz already say the GT6 engine was for the future? Given that they certainly knew about PS4 architecture in 2010 it would be absolute madness not to build a new engine to work on both.

Engines are hardware dependent, one or two for two consoles makes little difference. Chances are they developed both side by side as two separate branches off the same tree, so to say.

I'm no expert but what about the various engines that are compatible with PS3 and 360? Surely a new engine would have been created for both PS3+4 architectures in the same way as those? Or is that basically what you mean with your last sentence?

I'm no expert but what about the various engines that are compatible with PS3 and 360? Surely a new engine would have been created for both PS3+4 architectures in the same way as those? Or is that basically what you mean with your last sentence?

Not necessarily, those are usually monolithic engines with platform specific code. This makes them larger. Sometimes they're modular, though. PD aren't trying to provide the exact same product on two sets of hardware at once, so there is no need to keep everything in one place.

A lot of the code, algorithmically, will carry over, but the hardware is different enough to warrant separation of the codebases for flexibility. I'd say, anyway - no real expert either.

I'd been meaning to bring something up but forgot, with the crazy amount of stuff we've had to chat over since the reveal. Man, and they really didn't unveil all that much!

Anyway, one potential clue to this game engine being built for both systems, just a little trimmed down to fit in PS3, is the tesselation feature. This is a process that's built into the PS4, and it wouldn't surprise me if Kaz and other racing game developers had specifically asked for it, because the one game type which features a lot of curved surfaces are racing games. And while tesselation is wired into the PS4's architecture, it has to run just the same as game code. "Calls" are made to this feature in the system, just as if it was being requested in the game software or PS4 OS. It's possible that Kaz simply acquired the code for this feature and incorporated it into the GT6 engine, as the software was going to be calling for it on PS4 in the first place. The much more comprehensive "GT6-EX" engine replaces this code with the system calls used in PS4. Hey, it's a thought.

The RSX doesn't do tessellation natively like GCN does. It has to be done on the CPU instead - for performance reasons, it's the SPEs that get the job. That requires shuffling and rescheduling everything, because the SPUs are all manually controlled by the programmer in the code, rather than by the hardware at run time.

It's so different on PS4 i.e. hardware not "software", automatic / built-in not manually scheduled etc. that the two implementations would greatly affect the whole pipeline so that the renderer wouldn't easily be that similar for both consoles.

I am only talking about the renderer here, but anything that uses the SPEs on PS3 would likely need substantial modification for Jaguar / GCN on PS4. The overall concept and approach to the engine's components, schematically, could stay the same, which does save time because all you're doing is changing the details, rather than how those details interact.

The 5.15 reveal.

GT6-e1368023109637.jpg

The 2017 Porsche 960.

porsche-960-updated-inline-photo-514518-s-original.jpg

Might as well swing for the fences... right?:)

this looks close :lol::embarrassed:

2qk3w2o.jpg

well at least this rules out the 2013 Viper :lol::banghead:

Engines are hardware dependent, one or two for two consoles makes little difference. Chances are they developed both side by side as two separate branches off the same tree, so to say.

No they aren't. Engines are adapted to work on different hardware components and optimized according to the hardware's architecture. A game running Unreal Engine is the same on the 360 and the PS3, but the game on PS3 might have better textures and worse lighting because the architecture is different from the 360 version.

Porting an engine from one generation to a future generation won't have the same effect because the hardware is so much more capable.

I'm not sure if that makes any sense, but I tried. It's a pretty complex topic.

No they aren't. Engines are adapted to work on different hardware components and optimized according to the hardware's architecture. A game running Unreal Engine is the same on the 360 and the PS3, but the game on PS3 might have better textures and worse lighting because the architecture is different from the 360 version.

Porting an engine from one generation to a future generation won't have the same effect because the hardware is so much more capable.

I'm not sure if that makes any sense, but I tried. It's a pretty complex topic.

I'm not sure it does make sense. How can textures (really just a large data array, ignoring compression) vary on different processor architectures, but code (the stuff executed on the processors) does not?

A picture is a picture, but a list of instructions is not universally intelligible on all hardware, including any code meant to render that picture into a form that we can actually interpret.

I'm not sure it does make sense. How can textures (really just a large data array, ignoring compression) vary on different processor architectures, but code (the stuff executed on the processors) does not?

A picture is a picture, but a list of instructions is not universally intelligible on all hardware, including any code meant to render that picture into a form that we can actually interpret.

Consoles are proprietary hardware; they're more open for software development than a PC is, because there is only a small amount of required background processes at any given time. This means that processes normally reserved for the GPU can be offloaded to the CPU, as was the case with the PS3 once developers started to utilize the hardware effectively.

In other words, you aren't modifying the code, you're just organizing it differently. It's like taking a sentence out of one paragraph because it fits better in a different paragraph.

The 2017 Porsche 960.
porsche-960-updated-inline-photo-514518-s-original.jpg

But the porsche sounds too good to be true

It may sound to good to be true, but I was just thinking about it... the fact that GT6 is on the PS3 would go away if Porsche was included in the series.

When I came across this picture, it looked close enough to post.:)

Not really close at all though. Plus it's not expected until 2016/7, I'm pretty sure it wont appear in a video game three years before release.

I'm gonna take a random guess and say that it's the next generation Jaguar XK (there's one due in mid 2014... hasn't been announced or revealed yet though)

Either that or it's a new Aston Martin... Or a Nissan...

Consoles are proprietary hardware; they're more open for software development than a PC is, because there is only a small amount of required background processes at any given time. This means that processes normally reserved for the GPU can be offloaded to the CPU, as was the case with the PS3 once developers started to utilize the hardware effectively.

In other words, you aren't modifying the code, you're just organizing it differently. It's like taking a sentence out of one paragraph because it fits better in a different paragraph.

I don't think we're talking about the same thing, frankly.

Also I don't think anything you said in that post is technically correct, but then I've already admitted to not being an expert...

Um... I think you're possibly hallucinating if you think it's not. It most definitely is coming on out PS3.

Kaz said the PS2 was faster in 2D than the PS3,so I think It will be 2D GT6 on PS2. Not sure about wheel support though. lol.

Not sure where you get these ideas but.....

A PC is about as open as it gets there are tons of options for coding a PC and there can be as few or as many background processes as needed. Graphics processing can be offloaded to the CPU in pc programming as well if needed and other processing can be offloaded to the GPU if needed not to mention that todays PCs can have and many do have more than one GPU not to mention CPUs that run at twice the speed or more of the new consoles.

As for off loading processing this requires modifying the code. You do not simply move it around.

Now I have never looked into writing code for a PS3 but I have written code for the PC for several years now and I find that the more I work on any kind of engine the more I find ways to break down the processes to where I can reuse large chunks on other projects and even other hardware.

A large factor in porting aside from hardware and OS differences is the way the existing code is structured. For example all of the complex calculations for the physics engines could be in separate sub routines which can be called from a new routine for the new hardware so only a small part of the code needs to be rewritten and even if it all needs to be redone it is always a lot faster to rewrite than it is to figure out how to do it the first time.

Back